Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Apparently chatgpt is a genuine scourge at high schools to the point that some teachers are demanding that all essays come hand written

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Good

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The "show your working" thing always pissed me off because they'd want me to show steps that I didn't do. Like, how did I get the answer to 6x9? By knowing it. There's no working. It's 54. It's always been 54 and will always be 54. I wrote down 54. That was my process.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

thetoughestbean posted:

Apparently chatgpt is a genuine scourge at high schools to the point that some teachers are demanding that all essays come hand written

This is funny to me because if I were still in school, I'd happily write out an original 2 page paper in Word, but if I was being forced to handwrite the same paper then I would just get ChatGPT to barf out something middling and punch it up with my own thoughts while transcribing it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Phuo: typing < hand print < cursive < cyrillic cursive

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Arabic has Cyrillic beat by a mile and people other than the person who wrote it can actually read it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

bawk posted:

This is funny to me because if I were still in school, I'd happily write out an original 2 page paper in Word, but if I was being forced to handwrite the same paper then I would just get ChatGPT to barf out something middling and punch it up with my own thoughts while transcribing it.

And people wonder why America is no longer a superpower

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

< decorative Mongolian calligraphy.

Writing my essays with a giant brush so that it makes a picture of a bunny.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

I would have failed miserably doing that tbh. I needed a computer to make my writing legible due to good old fashioned Dyspraxia.

Typing up stuff is useful and helpful, we just need more and better paid teachers to look at the work.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

thetoughestbean posted:

We need more songs about other emotions, like being bored at work
chimin in late with this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WY7Si8Jiqk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYKjfrY8ZJc

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Black pepper is overrated as a spice and doesn't belong in every dish.. Most restaurants would be better off replacing the pepper shakers with garlic powder or chili flakes.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Nameless Pete posted:

Black pepper is overrated as a spice and doesn't belong in every dish.. Most restaurants would be better off replacing the pepper shakers with garlic powder or chili flakes.

Everyone should replace black pepper with white pepper anyway. It's the better version of the same thing. There's no good reason to be eating black pepper.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
White pepper smells like fart.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

if you own an appliance or something electronic, you should either keep the manual, or at minimum snap a photo of the front cover with the model number on it before you throw it away. even if you never use it once, ever, it is so much easier to help solve an issue with that thing if i know what it is. if your tv doesnt turn on, and you can't find the power button on the tv itself, and you can't tell me the make/model, why did you call tech support. what are you expecting me to do. i can either figure out how to fix this poo poo, or tell you that it's broke, in like two seconds if you can just tell me the stuff that'd be on the front page of the manual. please, boomers, learn how to practice basic electronics-ownership responsibility

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

bawk posted:

if you own an appliance or something electronic, you should either keep the manual, or at minimum snap a photo of the front cover with the model number on it before you throw it away. even if you never use it once, ever, it is so much easier to help solve an issue with that thing if i know what it is. if your tv doesnt turn on, and you can't find the power button on the tv itself, and you can't tell me the make/model, why did you call tech support. what are you expecting me to do. i can either figure out how to fix this poo poo, or tell you that it's broke, in like two seconds if you can just tell me the stuff that'd be on the front page of the manual. please, boomers, learn how to practice basic electronics-ownership responsibility

Usually tech support can tell you where to find the model number on the device itself. Then they can tell you anything else you need to know.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Alright everyone, post your stacks of manuals. Smallest stack gets sent to the support hole

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Usually tech support can tell you where to find the model number on the device itself. Then they can tell you anything else you need to know.

correct! It's on the back of the tv! it doesnt help any if they're 70 and can't physically move their giant-rear end tv on its heavy tv stand.

and to be clear, i don't work for the television manufacturer. i work for the isp. i just want to help identify the problem and fix it without rolling a tech on-site because tech visits are billable. phone tech support is not.

Punkinhead posted:

Alright everyone, post your stacks of manuals. Smallest stack gets sent to the support hole

where you belong!

E: and yeah, there's usually ways to pull up the model # on newer smart TVs using the "about this tv" section of the settings menu, but if we're having problems identifying the power button on the TV, even if it's already turned on, blindly navigating somebody through a tv's settings menu until we find the right page with the right info is a much shittier alternative than reading off the model # which is prominently displayed on the manual the TV came with

bawk has a new favorite as of 20:23 on Feb 5, 2024

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Seriously though I can never bring myself to throw away a box or a manual, I'm glad I can call it being responsible now instead of hoarding

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Punkinhead posted:

Seriously though I can never bring myself to throw away a box or a manual, I'm glad I can call it being responsible now instead of hoarding

I occasionally buy guitar pedals from Yahoo! Japan through Buyer and the number of pedals that are 20+ years old but with the original box and instructions is fascinating. I bought an 80's synth recently that was still in its original box.

I keep manuals, but gently caress boxes.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Look at this goon buying musical gear to actually use. What about the resale value, huh? The resale value

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Pretty much everything people are nostalgic for from the 80s seems like… it sucked? Even the handful of good stuff, like idk Ghostbusters, is wildly overrated.

The 80s are rear end and olds gotta get over them. 22 minute toy commercials, cold warriors, afghan war, and a stable of rapey pop stars. The 80s.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Most 80s videogames are better than modern ones in that you can sit and beat them all in usually way less than an hour

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Most 80s videogames are better than modern ones in that you can sit and beat them all in usually way less than an hour

But that’s bad. The ideal video game length is around 8 hours.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I'm trying to think what my closest time to beat of 8 hours is and upon looking at my steam you might just be right

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Hotline was a great game. Bangin' soundtrack too. Also, the 80's had a lot of cool stuff it just also had a lot of trash. Unfortunately trash tends to be better funded so it sticks around more because Capitalism ruins everything.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

At a mall kiosk they had one of those "200 retro nes games on a USB controller" gadgets you can plug into your TV so for funsies I fired up Contra and beat it in twenty minutes after not playing it for decades, all the little gen Alpha kids were like :stonk: :stare: :shepface: like I was some kind of speed runner or something.

It was one of the few NES games I was able to beat on my own consistently thanks to the Konami code (though at this point can probsbly handle it with the lives/Xtra lives you pick up along the way by default).

You also reminded me how much I loved the Game Genie because it made so many more NES games beatable for me by allowing me to bypass bullshit mechanics or unintuitive design choices that held me back.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The only nice-sounding romance language is France french

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The only neece-sounding romance language is France french

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Occitan

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Spanish > French in terms of sounding nice.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Spanish is an S-tier language

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gendered nouns are a terrible feature in any language.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Romance language ranking:
1. Spanish
2. Italian
3. Catalan
4. Romanian
5. Portuguese
6. Sardinian
7. French
8. Québécois

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Naw, Spain spanish sounds terrible and Argentina is worse. The rest are mid. Most italian sounds like cartoon characters past Turin. It’s just facts.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Not an opinion just a preference but I must be in the minority. I really can't stand wearing noise-cancelling headphones. They make me feel disoriented and like my ears are all plugged up, way more distracting than any sound they're blocking. I've been told they're great on planes, but the worst thing about the noise in a plane is not being able to hear anything else.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Having spent a lot of time on planes… what do you want to hear?

-posted while wearing noise cancelling headphones tbh

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Noise-blockers were an absolute must for me as a person who 1. commuted on the NYC subway every day to 2. an extremely noisy open office. At the office I actually had some of the 3M airport employee ones, as a "go away i am busy" signal. YMMV.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Nerds Gummy Clusters are the first big step forward in candy in the past decade

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They're a pale imitation of Trolli Gummi Rocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
Big Chewy Nerds are superior to both.