Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I wanna know the story here.

I went on a trip and although my (then) 2 cats were well taken care of having a friend come over 2x a day and play with them/feed them, when I get home the younger would always be mad at me for a couple days. He'd usually do things like show his displeasure by clawing some of my clothes, and once, peeing in my luggage.

Well this time, I put my X100F aside in my office on my desk along with some other things and the day after I got back I had to leave home early to take care of some errands and then go to work. I didn't go into my office room for around a week, but once I did I discovered that Rokit showed his displeasure with me being away by peeing on my camera. By the time I found this out it was obvious he had done so on the day after I got back from the trip because the pee was dried and I could even start to see some crystallization happing. There was no recovering it from that. :negative:

Despite this I still love the little fucker.

Here he is in a photo I took with my X100F.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Yikes! My cat reacted to the sudden appearance of a girlfriend 12 years ago by peeing on her while we slept. That relationship ended in disaster so I should have known. I had to warn my now-wife about it when we first started seeing each other, and the fact that it never actually happened was an early source of (completely warranted) "I'm so much better than your ex" pride. There haven't been any errant pee problems in years but I'm still paranoid about it every time we go on a trip.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
If I can get away with upgrading for $3-400 after selling my X100V I think I’ll be happy. Not sure if I’ll be able to pull it off though.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Camera death by cat pee

With the increase in used X100- prices in 2021, someone may have given you a couple hundred bucks for the pee cam.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Brrrmph posted:

With the increase in used X100- prices in 2021, someone may have given you a couple hundred bucks for the pee cam.

Check my cat’s OnlyFans

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
I formed a bond with a parrot and we are partners. She has a soul and spirit and personality. How I interact with her in my life is on equal plane to how I interact with other humans because she's a person too.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I’m basically 50/50 on whether I’m going to get the new X100 or find a lightly used V getting sold to fund someone *else’s* new X100, but either way I need that form factor back this year.

Brrrmph posted:

Huh. I didn’t realize they were that large already. I had an X100F for a couple years and I remember it being smaller for some reason.

The x100 feels smaller than it is because the lens is so insanely compact. That being said I don’t really need IBIS and tbh it kind of feels like something people ask for when they don’t really need it?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

:words:

The x100 feels smaller than it is because the lens is so insanely compact. That being said I don’t really need IBIS and tbh it kind of feels like something people ask for when they don’t really need it?

I need IBIS mostly because I shoot a lot in lower light. But that’s an unfortunate reality for me and wanting to take pics of my family in lower/softer light lol.

Otherwise, assuming you can get your speed to around 1/125s, you’re usually just fine without IBIS.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

IBIS owns and I can't imagine having a camera without it now. I can reliably get sharp hand-held photos at 1/4 sec. By 1/15 it's pretty much foolproof.

I do like my night photography though so I'm often in that range of shutter speeds.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Yeah being able to get down to 1/30 and/or lower the ISO to take photos of the babies indoors would be great. As it is I’m always operating at 3200/6400 and a wide aperture and I’d like some more flexibility

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The limiting factor for me with kids over, like, 1 is them moving and not camera shake.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

powderific posted:

The limiting factor for me with kids over, like, 1 is them moving and not camera shake.

That’s why you just buy a Red camera and do video capture instead. Don’t be a coward with stills.

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

"Yeah, it was incredible, the drugs, the sex, the all-night parties. I really miss that Shining Time Station."
Grimey Drawer

illcendiary posted:

If I can get away with upgrading for $3-400 after selling my X100V I think I’ll be happy. Not sure if I’ll be able to pull it off though.

While we're on the topic of the X100V, I finally got one for retail price from B&H in late December (and sold my well-loved X100T for $800). I'm loving it but I'm still in the return window until the end of the month. Should I seriously consider returning and holding out for the X100VI? I basically just take photos of my 6-month old so I can't imagine IBIS is going to help me much with that. Someone talk me off my ledge.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Happy Pizza Guy posted:

While we're on the topic of the X100V, I finally got one for retail price from B&H in late December (and sold my well-loved X100T for $800). I'm loving it but I'm still in the return window until the end of the month. Should I seriously consider returning and holding out for the X100VI? I basically just take photos of my 6-month old so I can't imagine IBIS is going to help me much with that. Someone talk me off my ledge.

Seems like overkill for taking photos of a baby

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Happy Pizza Guy posted:

I wouldn't. IBIS owns and is useful indoors with the low light, but if your subject is constantly moving like a child or cat you quickly run into shutter speeds too low to get a clean shot so it doesn't matter anyway.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Also its entirely possible that the VI goes on backorder instantly, depending on how high X100 hype is, so don’t get rid of it unless you’re fine being without for a possible long while

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Also its entirely possible that the VI goes on backorder instantly, depending on how high X100 hype is, so don’t get rid of it unless you’re fine being without for a possible long while

Oh yeah that's true too, I bet it's going to be impossible to get one for a while.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Even if you use it for a year and sell it for 200 bucks less than you paid for it, that’s a good rental price.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

blue squares posted:

Seems like overkill for taking photos of a baby

It’s not, it’s flat out one of the best purchases I’ve ever made (bought it to take pictures of my kid)

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
They’re only that age once. Absolutely make the most of it and capture moments. You’ll blink and they’re in kindergarten.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

you're right, that was a pretty dumb post I made

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Brrrmph posted:

They’re only that age once. Absolutely make the most of it and capture moments. You’ll blink and they’re in kindergarten.

And that’s when you upgrade to an XT-5 with a super fast prime because you “need it” 🥴

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

illcendiary posted:

And that’s when you upgrade to an XT-5 with a super fast prime because you “need it” 🥴

Please don't remind me about every two months when I contemplate selling my 4 for a 5. I don't need it!!! I should wait for a 6 instead...

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I think a Z9 would compliment the X100V nicely.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

blue squares posted:

you're right, that was a pretty dumb post I made

It’s all good. Most of my posts are hot garbage.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Grand Fromage posted:

Please don't remind me about every two months when I contemplate selling my 4 for a 5. I don't need it!!! I should wait for a 6 instead...

I only upgraded from the X-T1 to the X-T4 because of IBIS. I'll probably wait for an X-T7 before upgrading.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

These 'official' x100VI leaks are expected but disappointing. Made in china, heavier, only one SD card slot, IBIS for some reason when no one uses it for video, not fully weather sealed, EVF is unchanged, but has the new sensor and AI algorithms for focusing. There doesn't appear to be any new button functionality/buttons added or a d-pad type addition. And it's at least 1700 starting price. Waiting for the XT6 it is.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Did the X100s ever have two card slots? Thought that wasn’t a feature there.

X-T5 just came out a year or so ago, so probably waiting a while for the T6. I’m trying to be patient until the announcements come before deciding what to move up to.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

harperdc posted:

Did the X100s ever have two card slots? Thought that wasn’t a feature there.

X-T5 just came out a year or so ago, so probably waiting a while for the T6. I’m trying to be patient until the announcements come before deciding what to move up to.

It wasn't ever a feature, which is why a lot of people were hoping it would be an addition rather than a single UHS-I. There were also rumors that Fujifilm was considering some amount of internal storage and they abandoned that as well. Oh and it seems like the battery enhancements will mostly come from the software side/processor and it won't feature a larger battery. It's already perilously close to weighing too much, and with IBIS it's not a light camera anymore on balance.

The xPro4 at this point will likely end up being 2000 given a combination of features from existing cameras into the traditional form factor of the line.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 7, 2024

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

What oddball poo poo will Fuji do with the screen on the latest xPro this time, I wonder.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Xt6 probably won't turn up until 2025 at the earliest.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

tuna posted:

What oddball poo poo will Fuji do with the screen on the latest xPro this time, I wonder.

Motorized and AI tries to predict what orientation you want.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Shammypants posted:

It wasn't ever a feature, which is why a lot of people were hoping it would be

Yeah that feels like it’s on them. Same with the battery, too. Those are two big changes that don’t feel like they would fundamentally make the next one cheaper to build or sell more units. Dual card feels like a pro feature Fuji reserves for higher end bodies.

For whatever reason, people love IBIS even if they don’t need it. Considering this has to pair with one lens, it should be solid. Hope it also means that stabilizer unit can come to other smaller bodies as well.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Got the company to pay for a new a7rv. It feels a lot more bulky than the a7riii, but god drat the screen is niceee

I still have to find the time to deep dive into all its new features and menu system and whatnots

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

tuna posted:

It's going to simulated the ground glass viewing screen of a large format film camera; slightly fuzzy, upside down and back to front and you have to put a black fabric hood over your head to see it in daylight.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

harperdc posted:

Yeah that feels like it’s on them. Same with the battery, too. Those are two big changes that don’t feel like they would fundamentally make the next one cheaper to build or sell more units. Dual card feels like a pro feature Fuji reserves for higher end bodies.

For whatever reason, people love IBIS even if they don’t need it. Considering this has to pair with one lens, it should be solid. Hope it also means that stabilizer unit can come to other smaller bodies as well.

I don't know about that. Dual SD cards or some cheap internal memory is a nothingburger for price and the fact that this product is now made in China on the cheap means they can add features and provide value to consumers. Slapping the internals of other existing cameras into this body, lowering production and shipment costs and charging 300 more feels not great.

For me personally I really wanted the camera to be easier to navigate via enhanced buttons, a dpad in particular. I am also still flabbergasted that it's apparently not fully weather resistant and will require 75-200 worth of accessories.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The X100 has always been the internals from one of their other cameras slapped into a fixed lens body. The body and lens are the only unique parts. I'd imagine they're moving production to China because they literally can't make enough X100Vs right now and their whole production line is super backed up while they have a rare retail hit in the shrinking world of dedicated cameras. This was probably also something planned years ago and not some cynical move to take advantage of gullible tiktokers, creating a new production line is incredibly difficult. If you're worried about it wait a few months for reliability info.

Camera companies are never going to make your perfect camera, either buy the thing or don't but maybe don't take it so personally. It is very clearly not a "pro" model for Fujifilm and those are the bodies that get more buttons, bigger battery and and dual card slots [which there is absolutely not room for in the X100, or a bigger battery]. If it's not worth its price, prices will fall over time. I'm excited about stabilization but not so much that if I can't get a preorder at my current shop I'm going to be broken up about it or pay over retail.

e: this thing is pretty much an exact copy of the fuji hood and filter adapter and is $15. Works great.

qirex fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 7, 2024

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Frankly I’m hoping that when the VI comes out that it will result in a drastic price decrease for the F on the used market. I just want my old camera back :(

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
I have to say with my XS-10 and the XC f2 35mm it’s hard to know what the X100 would really add, it’s pretty darn small and light as it is and I can’t think of anything it’s missing. The trad controls I guess but most of my other lenses still have aperture controls and that’s the main thing I play with shot to shot anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

qirex posted:

The X100 has always been the internals from one of their other cameras slapped into a fixed lens body. The body and lens are the only unique parts. I'd imagine they're moving production to China because they literally can't make enough X100Vs right now and their whole production line is super backed up while they have a rare retail hit in the shrinking world of dedicated cameras. This was probably also something planned years ago and not some cynical move to take advantage of gullible tiktokers, creating a new production line is incredibly difficult. If you're worried about it wait a few months for reliability info.

Camera companies are never going to make your perfect camera, either buy the thing or don't but maybe don't take it so personally. It is very clearly not a "pro" model for Fujifilm and those are the bodies that get more buttons, bigger battery and and dual card slots [which there is absolutely not room for in the X100, or a bigger battery]. If it's not worth its price, prices will fall over time. I'm excited about stabilization but not so much that if I can't get a preorder at my current shop I'm going to be broken up about it or pay over retail.

e: this thing is pretty much an exact copy of the fuji hood and filter adapter and is $15. Works great.

please don't "u mad" me in 2024, I just like talking about cameras, it's not that serious.