Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Lights out solo queue is loving terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Kwolok posted:

Lights out solo queue is loving terrible

Why?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

It's all the disadvantages of solo queue + no perks to make up for it + no visibility so it's even harder to coordinate with your team + the mode is just dogshit in general.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
So I have played the mode for both sides.

It is pretty much 3 gen the mode. Even a well coordinated team will not be able to appropriately deal with a 3 gen because of the lack of visibilty/terror radius. So just pick a 3 gen and chill. Eventually you will be able to just surprise survivors over and over again.

That being said at the end of the game if there is only one survivor left or if the exit gates are powered its a guaranteed escape. All a survivor has to do is wait for a patrol on one exit gate and its guaranteed. Because the gates are always far enough and the viisbility lacking that you can never see if a gate is in progress unless you are directly on top of it.

Overall this mode tried to bring horror back to dbd but we know how dbd works so nothing is scary and everything that happens in this mode just feels cheap and frustrating.

It loving sucks.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Well, the good news is it'll only last a week and then we can get back to the standard DBD that everyone loves with killers using Corrupt/Grim Embrace/Deadlock/Pain Res and all the other meta builds ad nauseum.

Lots of negativity around the game mode so BHVR will hear everyone loud and clear and steer clear of experimentation.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Medullah posted:

Well, the good news is it'll only last a week and then we can get back to the standard DBD that everyone loves with killers using Corrupt/Grim Embrace/Deadlock/Pain Res and all the other meta builds ad nauseum.

Lots of negativity around the game mode so BHVR will hear everyone loud and clear and steer clear of experimentation.

Just do 2v8 you loving idiots.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Medullah posted:

They should experiment with nerfing Nurse and Blight.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Relyssa posted:

It's all the disadvantages of solo queue + no perks to make up for it + no visibility so it's even harder to coordinate with your team + the mode is just dogshit in general.

No perks/coordination won't affect my play style but what makes the mode dogshit in general?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Umbreon posted:

No perks/coordination won't affect my play style but what makes the mode dogshit in general?

It's an accessibility nightmare. SWF groups are the most unbalanced they've ever been. Red stain removes any sort of stealth from killers that can't hide it. Removing hud elements and forcing Nightfall all the time is not fun or engaging.

Relyssa fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 7, 2024

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Watching Otz's stream and the DBD Defence Force are out in strength.

"Don't like it? Go play normal"
"Be happy they're at least trying something"
"Can't we just enjoy the new game mode for what it is without picking at every little issue"

From the last few minutes alone.

I have to say the Knight's map actually looks good now that it isn't loving red as hell.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I have to say the Knight's map actually looks good now that it isn't loving red as hell.

Borgo in Freddy-vision looks so much better it's not even funny.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Watching Otz's stream and the DBD Defence Force are out in strength.

"Don't like it? Go play normal"
"Be happy they're at least trying something"
"Can't we just enjoy the new game mode for what it is without picking at every little issue"

From the last few minutes alone.

I mean, are they wrong? BHVR is trying something new, they're not forcing anyone to do it, and it's been out for 2 hours with everyone just blowing up at how awful it is, half of which probably haven't even played it.

I know I'm white knighting a bit here but jesus the DBD community is the most negative game community I've ever seen.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
How much of it is overly negative gamers are whining and how much of it is the mode feels bad the moment you hop in?

Gamers can really stink but BHVR aren't exactly above the latter.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Medullah posted:

I mean, are they wrong? BHVR is trying something new, they're not forcing anyone to do it, and it's been out for 2 hours with everyone just blowing up at how awful it is, half of which probably haven't even played it.

I know I'm white knighting a bit here but jesus the DBD community is the most negative game community I've ever seen.

It is awful though. Like playtesting this for even a moment would show how awful it is. Just release a game mode people actually want.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Medullah posted:

I pretty much agree.

Everyone lines up to poo poo all over it, and hey it may suck I don't know yet, however you have the option NOT to play it and they're trying to introduce something different in the game. Something people were begging for.....for years.

I think this is the first time this community makes me defend BHVR a bit here, and for that I'll never forgive any of you motherfuckers! :negative:

p.s.: The accessibility thing I understand, but you aren't being forced to play it. This is a limited time thing, and hopefully the next trial thing doesn't exclude a section of players..

Kwolok posted:

It is awful though. Like playtesting this for even a moment would show how awful it is. Just release a game mode people actually want.

They had that poll not too long ago with a poo poo ton of game mode suggestions, for all we know this was requested more than the others. Or... it was the easiest to provide quickly. Either way, they're trying so who cares.

Comfortador fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 7, 2024

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Kwolok posted:

*shrug* I dunno, I've watched a few streamers today and some of them are having a blast. I've seen a lot of people want a return to the "Scary" of DBD where it has a spooky atmosphere, and this definitely does that.

Like I said, I'm not playing right now so I might not be the best one to speak to it here, I personally think it's time for a change and love that they're trying things, but I know a lot of people like the status quo and don't like shake ups.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Medullah posted:

*shrug* I dunno, I've watched a few streamers today and some of them are having a blast. I've seen a lot of people want a return to the "Scary" of DBD where it has a spooky atmosphere, and this definitely does that.

No it doesn't. Things can only be scary when you don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of them. This just feels unfair and frustrating. Its not scary. When a killer appears out of no where its not "Oh my goodness", its "well this is stupid".

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Comfortador posted:

I pretty much agree.

Everyone lines up to poo poo all over it, and hey it may suck I don't know yet, however you have the option NOT to play it and they're trying to introduce something different in the game. Something people were begging for.....for years.

I think this is the first time this community makes me defend BHVR a bit here, and for that I'll never forgive any of you motherfuckers! :negative:

p.s.: The accessibility thing I understand, but you aren't being forced to play it. This is a limited time thing, and hopefully the next trial thing doesn't exclude a section of players..

They had that poll not too long ago with a poo poo ton of game mode suggestions, for all we know this was requested more than the others. Or... it was the easiest to provide quickly. Either way, they're trying so who cares.

https://www.reddit.com/r/deadbydaylight/comments/18j8eo1/just_wondering_what_new_modes_everyone_was/

Or look at any of the dozens of other threads made at the time discussing the game modes in the survey. The vast vast majority of people were not focussed on lights out, they were way more interested in pretty much any other gamemode.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
When I look for hard data that's where I go, too. Clearly no point in continuing, I am defeated. I mean.. i did suggest an alternative reason as well, but who gives a gently caress about message details when it's time for a pointless "making GBS threads all over everything" waste of time. I'll clear the way...

Kwolok posted:

No it doesn't.

Oh. Sorry. I wasn't aware it doesn't. This is awkward. To save time in engaging with you for any other discussion about this game, can you just let me know the other things that just are, without opinion or discussion so I don't run into a topic with incorrect takes as told by Kwolok? Thanks in advance.

Comfortador fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 7, 2024

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Comfortador posted:

When I look for hard data that's where I go too. Clearly no point in continuing, I am defeated.

We simply don't know, because they don't release the results of the survey.

But you can look at literally any reddit thread and no one was talking or crooning about the lights out modifier.

https://www.reddit.com/r/deadbydaylight/comments/18j89vc/the_player_satisfaction_survey_gauges_interest_in/

https://www.reddit.com/r/deadbydaylight/comments/18j8j0v/dead_by_daylight_player_satisfaction_survey/

You're right, we don't have the official numbers, but if everyone is telling you something, its probably indicative that this one was at the bottom of the list.

I know I would personally have preferred literally anything to this.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

If anyone here enjoys the mode I would love to hear reasons why. Not trying to troll or be a dick, I genuinely want to hear the other side. 'bhvr finally tried something new!' and other defenses don't count, I want to know why the mode itself is good. Even if it weren't for the accessibility issues it just doesn't seem very interesting to me.

I'm also of the general opinion that they should try to fix the core issues in the standard game mode before making gimmick modes, especially ones that exacerbate the issues.

Kwolok posted:

I know I would personally have preferred literally anything to this.

:emptyquote:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Kwolok posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/deadbydaylight/comments/18j8eo1/just_wondering_what_new_modes_everyone_was/

Or look at any of the dozens of other threads made at the time discussing the game modes in the survey. The vast vast majority of people were not focussed on lights out, they were way more interested in pretty much any other gamemode.

I wonder if one of the reasons people weren't discussing Light's Out from the survey is because it wasn't included in the options

Lights Out was likely close to completion when they made the survey and is their first step in new game modes.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Medullah posted:

I wonder if one of the reasons people weren't discussing Light's Out from the survey is because it wasn't included in the options

Lights Out was likely close to completion when they made the survey and is their first step in new game modes.

I distinctly remember a lights out type mode being described in the survey when I took it.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

You're both kinda right. They had "The map is darker" as an option. Obviously that's partially what this is, but missing hud, no powers, etc. all weren't listed.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

rydiafan posted:

You're both kinda right. They had "The map is darker" as an option. Obviously that's partially what this is, but missing hud, no powers, etc. all weren't listed.

I guess. My assumption was that they had worked on Lights Out and wanted to get an idea of what other types of game modes people would be interested in.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I do believe it said the map is darker, no terror radius and no scratch marks.

But its been a while. It was for sure in the survey, or at least a form of it. But I don't believe it mentioned lack of perks or hud missing though the missing hud really doesn't matter.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Kwolok posted:

I do believe it said the map is darker, no terror radius and no scratch marks.

But its been a while. It was for sure in the survey, or at least a form of it. But I don't believe it mentioned lack of perks or hud missing though the missing hud really doesn't matter.

Yeah the only thing it said on the survey was -

"- Disgustingly Scary -

• The Fog is thicker and shrouded in darkness"

So since it wasn't called Lights Out and didn't include all the other modifiers I assumed it wasn't the same.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Medullah posted:

Yeah the only thing it said on the survey was -

"- Disgustingly Scary -

• The Fog is thicker and shrouded in darkness"

So since it wasn't called Lights Out and didn't include all the other modifiers I assumed it wasn't the same.

I imagine they realized perma nightfall by itself wasn't enough to justify a new mode and added the other modifiers as well. It definitely feels at least related. Also those read like codenames or working titles more than anything.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0gFB2MZOjE

I think Scott puts it pretty much how I feel about it.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
Of course this mode sucks, it's dbd with less in it lmao.

Medullah posted:

I think Scott puts it pretty much how I feel about it.

This is in fact the correct takeaway. The existence of the mode itself is the big thing here, and this is more of a community stress test to iron out any potential kinks in how it functions before they add something people actually wanted which are going to be more complicated.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Otz summed it up pretty well. It's DBD with not only nothing new, it removes a lot of stuff. It's somehow the opposite of a new game mode.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Medullah posted:

Watching Otz and ironically poor Dredge is just effed in this mode because he doesn't get his Nightfall visibility AND survivors can hear him coming from a naval league away.

I don't know why you think that. I just played against a Dredge and it gets stupidly dark during Nightfall.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Removing the activity indicators for survivors just feels petty. Someone gets hooked, and you can’t decide what to do because you have no idea if your teammates are working on gens, healing, or going for the unhook. They should not be doing anything to make Solo Queue worse.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

curiousTerminal posted:

this is more of a community stress test to iron out any potential kinks in how it functions before they add something people actually wanted which are going to be more complicated.

I'm not so sure about that. I don't see what they would be testing here. Could you elaborate on what you think is going on?

E:

I can kind of see value in "let's test the infrastructure of adding in special game modes and use a very simple and quick to do game mode as the test case, because the point is to give us confidence that our menus etc work correctly", but I don't see how stress testing brings anything meaningful to the table here.

And also I think the reason they put out a game mode that feels like it could've been made by some interns in an afternoon is that it's BHVR and they'll always take the easy road when they can.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Feb 8, 2024

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

the event is miserable to play as survivor, but it's a killers wonderland.

sunrise, sunset.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

"how dare you tunnel, you dog"
my friend, you are body blocking with base bt. accept that there are consequences to the choice you made, and make better ones next time.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Had a game last night where a teammate unhooked me while a blight was mid-rush back to the hook. Said blight waited out the 10 seconds and re-downed me immediately after they were up. I didn't even try to body block, just ran away but he was determined to get me back on that hook.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Relyssa posted:

Had a game last night where a teammate unhooked me while a blight was mid-rush back to the hook. Said blight waited out the 10 seconds and re-downed me immediately after they were up. I didn't even try to body block, just ran away but he was determined to get me back on that hook.

Yeah, that poo poo sucks as a player. Very little counterplay, if any at all. You're just out of the game, GG and gently caress you. At the same time, this is the game BHVR have made. They can add all the timers and tweaks they want, but if the killer is playing smart, most of the time focusing someone out of the game is the right and smart move. I know this isn't news to you, I'm just once again echoing the sentiment we've expressed in this thread frequently: they need to go back to the drawing board to rethink the basics of DBD, if they want to fix these issues.

Otherwise they'll just make poo poo more and more convoluted while not really fixing the root causes.

E: but also -- this is kind of a unreasonable request. It can be done without starting completely over, because it's not like they'd be turning DBD from a 3rd persion action game to a first person card game or something, they could just change the objectives without the need to make a DBD2. But it would still be a pretty big undertaking, and of course also require them to have a great idea on what to replace the current objectives with.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Feb 8, 2024

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah, that poo poo sucks as a player. Very little counterplay, if any at all. You're just out of the game, GG and gently caress you. At the same time, this is the game BHVR have made. They can add all the timers and tweaks they want, but if the killer is playing smart, most of the time focusing someone out of the game is the right and smart move. I know this isn't news to you, I'm just once again echoing the sentiment we've expressed in this thread frequently: they need to go back to the drawing board to rethink the basics of DBD, if they want to fix these issues.

Otherwise they'll just make poo poo more and more convoluted while not really fixing the root causes.

E: but also -- this is kind of a unreasonable request. It can be done without starting completely over, because it's not like they'd be turning DBD from a 3rd persion action game to a first person card game or something, they could just change the objectives without the need to make a DBD2. But it would still be a pretty big undertaking, and of course also require them to have a great idea on what to replace the current objectives with.

It really doesn't help that SWFs and other really determined survivors will find a way to weaponize any countermeasure the devs can come up with. We saw it with DS, with basekit BT, etc. This leads to these things getting nerfed until they're basically useless like current-day DS where the stun barely lasts longer than it takes for you to hit the ground and begin moving.

There is nothing that can ever change the fact that forcing the match to go from 4v1 to 3v1 will always be the objectively correct move. Removing a member of the opposite team will give you so much more advantage than anything else you could possibly do. They'd have to redesign the game on a fundamental level to address this and every single day that passes I have less faith in the ability of the devs to even begin to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

tithin posted:

"how dare you tunnel, you dog"
my friend, you are body blocking with base bt. accept that there are consequences to the choice you made, and make better ones next time.

I love when someone teabags and clicks then when you decide to hard tunnel them and ruin their match they DC. Like genuinely what were you expecting buddy