Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

When you really think about it all fictional shows are alternate history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Godzilla is an alternate history, exploring what life would like if Godzilla existed

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Arist posted:

Godzilla is an alternate history, exploring what life would like if Godzilla existed

1 - More Godzillas

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

The Finn posted:

She's such a stunningly bad actress

Better or worse than Ronda Rousey? I dare say better.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

muscles like this! posted:

Lol, I didn't think I could like Pedro Pascal more.

It's nice that they paused the documentation in their lawsuit to just spend five pages showing demonstrations of why Pedro Pascal loving rules.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Whoa

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1754980812783763928

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

There's already a third season of The Terror but for some reason they called it True Detective Season 4.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Apparently the novel is set in contemporary times. Hoping they set it sometime in the past, because it being supernatural historical horror is like 90% of the draw for me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Just wait 20 years and watch it then, problem solved forever!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hopefully if this has good ratings it will convince AMC to finally move forward with the Ballad of Black Tom adaptation they announced years ago.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
The latest season of Feud is good, the opening two episodes were directed by Gus Van Sant, and I don't think Ryan Murphy has much to do with it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

fez_machine posted:

The latest season of Feud is good, the opening two episodes were directed by Gus Van Sant, and I don't think Ryan Murphy has much to do with it.

Murphy's energy is all over the casting and some of the ideas though -- e.g. Demi Moore in a De Palma homage recreating a famous urban myth.

It's good though, yeah.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Fatherland got its 90s tv movie with Rutger Hauer, that was like the key alt history thing of its time

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

The first season was good and had a great cast, though you could argue that the supernatural angle took away from the story, I didn’t finish the second season.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Chubby Henparty posted:

Fatherland got its 90s tv movie with Rutger Hauer, that was like the key alt history thing of its time

Oh man, yeah I really dug that film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7SWQgNaJf8

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I wish Mr and Mrs Smith were more adventurous with it's direction. So much shot reverse shot. Let's see our leads in the same frame!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I wish Mr and Mrs Smith were more adventurous with it's direction. So much shot reverse shot. Let's see our leads in the same frame!

My understanding is that for a lot of the show that actually weren't in the same room. Scheduling meant that for some pick ups and reshoots they shot separately, so maybe that's why?

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

PriorMarcus posted:

My understanding is that for a lot of the show that actually weren't in the same room. Scheduling meant that for some pick ups and reshoots they shot separately, so maybe that's why?

That is crazy to me for a tv show.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Stegosnaurlax posted:

That is crazy to me for a tv show.

What I'd love to know is more about the behind the scenes of the Waller-Bridges version.

She left because of creative differences, but the show we have is pretty great. Honestly, after watching where Killing Eve went I feel like her version of the show would be a downgrade.

I also can't believe that she signed on with Amazon, with a massive payday, and hasn't produced a single thing for them.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

PriorMarcus posted:

She left because of creative differences, but the show we have is pretty great. Honestly, after watching where Killing Eve went I feel like her version of the show would be a downgrade..

She was only involved in the first season. Different production crew every year on that one, which can't have helped (though I think there was more crossover in the final two seasons).

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t know what the PWB collab version would have looked like, but imo she definitely could not pull off the version of Jane in the show we got. Maya Erskine crushes it.

Really enjoying this season of Feud. I never saw the movie with PSH but Capote feels like the role Tom Hollander was born to play

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Only seen the first episode of Mr. and Mrs. Smith so far, but I love how their discussions with each other serve both as mild flirting and attempts to get info out of each other, but when seen from a distance would make them look exactly like what they're supposed to be: a couple.

Also the payoff of them delivering the package and walking out of the house was :kiss:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

She was only involved in the first season. Different production crew every year on that one, which can't have helped (though I think there was more crossover in the final two seasons).

I thought she was an executive producer for the full thing and oversaw who was put in charge each season? It was her idea to have each season be a new team as a way to get more female voices into the industry, which is admirable as gently caress, but the results speak for themselves.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Jemaine Clement is writing the Time Bandits show. Get in.

Escobarbarian posted:

I don’t know what the PWB collab version would have looked like, but imo she definitely could not pull off the version of Jane in the show we got. Maya Erskine crushes it.

Yeah, she's great. This, Blue Eye Samuari. I first ran into her in Man Seeking Woman and i didn't think much of her in either that or Casual. Just sort of good standard. But she's been crushing it since PEN15.

PriorMarcus posted:

I thought she was an executive producer for the full thing and oversaw who was put in charge each season? It was her idea to have each season be a new team as a way to get more female voices into the industry, which is admirable as gently caress, but the results speak for themselves.

I always read that as PR. From what I read out of her general distance from the show is that she just cut a regular paycheck for a legacy contribution.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

I also can't believe that she signed on with Amazon, with a massive payday, and hasn't produced a single thing for them.

Worked great for JJ Abrams and HBO!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

1glitch0 posted:

Better or worse than Ronda Rousey? I dare say better.

This is the lowest bar possible, but yes, she's better than Rousey, who is one of the worst actresses I've ever seen. Though I'll say this for Rousey, she had the self-awareness to realize this and leave acting to go to pro-wrestling, which was the right move.

Carano has zero self-awareness.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

This is the lowest bar possible, but yes, she's better than Rousey, who is one of the worst actresses I've ever seen. Though I'll say this for Rousey, she had the self-awareness to realize this and leave acting to go to pro-wrestling, which was the right move.

Carano has zero self-awareness.

What even was a 'big' acting role for Rousey? I saw her in the Entourage movie and it was bad enough to make the rest of the Entourage cast look like A list actors in comparison.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

pentyne posted:

What even was a 'big' acting role for Rousey? I saw her in the Entourage movie and it was bad enough to make the rest of the Entourage cast look like A list actors in comparison.

I always think of her role in the Oscar award winning drama, Fast and the Furious 6 (or was it 7...either way)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rousey was in 7, but Carano was in 6!

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Don't forget the blockbuster that was The Expendables 3

Rousey was going to be in a remake of Roadhouse and they cancelled it cause she was so bad at acting (I don't know if it's the same remake coming out now or completely separate)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Really enjoying this season of Feud. I never saw the movie with PSH but Capote feels like the role Tom Hollander was born to play

Hows the first season?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I liked it a lot!

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Shageletic posted:

Hows the first season?

Susan Sarandon and Jessica Lange have good chemistry, acting-wise, together. Their poisonous volleys at each other made my day when I watched it ages ago.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Arist posted:

What's funny is I love those movies and while I remember Carano was in 6 I have no memory of her in the movie.

I do however remember Rousey in 7 and not for positive reasons.

So Forgettable terrible vs. Showstopping terrible, i guess.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC Carano was the Rock's assistant who turns out to be evil?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Arist posted:

This is the main comparison for me. Carano was bad, but fine for those movies, I guess? in part 6. Rousey was awful in 7. Like, distractingly bad. And she was barely in it!

But again, Rousey knew to get out of acting and into Wrestling. Carano is doing everything she can to stay in acting, where she has no place being. And is an awful human being.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC Carano was the Rock's assistant who turns out to be evil?

oh poo poo i think you're right. i can't even remember if she had a Girl Fight™ with Michelle Rodriguez or not, tho. I remember what stood out about Rousey's fight scene was her absolute lack of charisma even doing the thing she was known for doing irl.

It'd be like stunt casting Gordon Ramsey as a celebrity chef in a movie and then somehow he completely fails at playing a celebrity chef.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

I liked it a lot!

Pan Dulce posted:

Susan Sarandon and Jessica Lange have good chemistry, acting-wise, together. Their poisonous volleys at each other made my day when I watched it ages ago.

Cool cool when I want to get Hulu again I'll check it out

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

oh poo poo i think you're right. i can't even remember if she had a Girl Fight™ with Michelle Rodriguez or not, tho. I remember what stood out about Rousey's fight scene was her absolute lack of charisma even doing the thing she was known for doing irl.

It'd be like stunt casting Gordon Ramsey as a celebrity chef in a movie and then somehow he completely fails at playing a celebrity chef.

Gordon Ramsey was actually funny, albeit playing himself, on a bit in an episode of New Girl.

Which is still a pretty great show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Gordon Ramsey was actually funny, albeit playing himself, on a bit in an episode of New Girl.

Which is still a pretty great show

I know someone who worked with Gordon on a few shows and they said he was really nice to work with and took really good care of everyone.