Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
You also have to account for the Rangers being a win away from winning the division despite blowing like 30 saves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I'd like anyone who brought up Acuma in terms of Tatia to respond to this!
A $340M guarantee makes up for a lot, Tatis Jr is signed through his age 35 season, while Acuña is guaranteed through his age 28 season with team options for 29 and 30.

The Braves deal is MUCH more team friendly as there is virtually no age-decline risk in it at all. They get all of his prime years and zero decline years if they don't want them.

These two deals are very different:

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 7, 2024

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
buzzerboy and the loathsome astros deserve each other

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

mcmagic posted:

buzzerboy and the loathsome astros deserve each other

A good mcmagic post, praise be

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

2024 is the year of linux on the desktop seattle in the world series!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wayne Knight posted:

Nah, it’s windows

https://twitter.com/MarkBerman_/status/1755025203933897027

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

lol, not sure if it's an artifact on the graph or something, but it looks like pecota had some sims where the dodgers ended up around .800

Wayne Knight posted:

:hmmyes:

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Those are the simulations in which Ohtani takes the mound on opening day with a right handed glove.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

So, that Kyle Tucker extension is coming soon then, right?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

the Window

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

defenestrate the astros

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

lol that PECOTA could not simulate even a single scenario in which the Colorado Rockies win 81 games

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Cool picture

https://twitter.com/MLB/status/1754989298791706775

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

more falafel please posted:

lol that PECOTA could not simulate even a single scenario in which the Colorado Rockies win 81 games

There's a lot of depressing teams to be a fan of in pro sports but goddamn, they have to be up there.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

SilvergunSuperman posted:

There's a lot of depressing teams to be a fan of in pro sports but goddamn, they have to be up there.

yeah, they're like a mile above most other teams

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

They'll always have Rocktober I guess

Even though Matt Holliday still hasn't touched home

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Definitely planning a drive up for this game.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Intruder posted:

They'll always have Rocktober I guess

I remember Dane Cook was the spokesperson for this marketing thing. It happened Dane Cook years ago

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

AndrewP posted:

I remember Dane Cook was the spokesperson for this marketing thing. It happened Dane Cook years ago

theres only ONE october

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/billshaikin/status/1755245062475464872?s=46

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

more falafel please posted:

There is about a 2-3 game overlap between the absolute worst scenario it envisions for the Dodgers where presumably the entire lineup goes on the IL along with like 10 pitchers, and the best case for the Rockies where every single guy on the team has a career year at the same time.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MLB coming in way late with their own version of Hard Knocks

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

They did one with the Giants right around the time Hard Knocks was big, I think it was over a decade ago

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

This is apropos of nothing, but at work I usually browse with avatars off so I interpreted your username as "braves word" which caused me to interpret this entire discussion really differently.

It’s my favorite Fire Emblem weapon. The baseball thing is honestly a coincidence

I picked this username basically at random after the handle I was using at the time was already taken. Weirdly, I now use this one more often than the original

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/jcmccaffrey/status/1755245482450804739
It takes 3 years to follow around a lovely team? I don't get it.

Suck a Dick No Homo
Apr 22, 2008
I worked at a newspaper in a city with a AAA team and once I pitched a story idea to the team for a ridealong type article where I went with the team on a roadtrip and wrote about the experience etc. The PRs guy's INSTANT response was "what if you see guys cheating on their wives? Are you gonna write about that???" and just the general tone was like ohhkayyy nevermind but it definitely struck me just how quickly that issue came to his mind

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Suck a Dick No Homo posted:

I worked at a newspaper in a city with a AAA team and once I pitched a story idea to the team for a ridealong type article where I went with the team on a roadtrip and wrote about the experience etc. The PRs guy's INSTANT response was "what if you see guys cheating on their wives? Are you gonna write about that???" and just the general tone was like ohhkayyy nevermind but it definitely struck me just how quickly that issue came to his mind

amazing post/username combo

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/jcmccaffrey/status/1755245482450804739
It takes 3 years to follow around a lovely team? I don't get it.

Presumably the previous years were mostly about negotiations and the actual embedded reportage will start this year.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

we already have Ken Burns Baseball full of people talking about the Red Sox, they should've picked a different team

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It really speaks to MLBs infatuation with Yankees/Red Sox that their first big documentary is simply about the Red Sox having a few bad years. A thing Pirates fans have been going thru for almost a decade now.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Woah now, the Pirates have been mostly bad ever since Bonds left

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I liked the 2015 era team a lot

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Bregor posted:

amazing post/username combo

lmao

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

euphronius posted:

I liked the 2015 era team a lot

same

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Gotta make sure principal photography wraps by October so they have time to edit for a Q1 2025 release.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

https://uni-watch.com/2024/02/07/2024-mlb-batting-practice-cap-collection-appears-online/

Spring training Batting Practice hats, they’re all extremely cool and good imo

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
That A's one is just as good as the team's future is terrible.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

AndrewP posted:

https://uni-watch.com/2024/02/07/2024-mlb-batting-practice-cap-collection-appears-online/

Spring training Batting Practice hats, they’re all extremely cool and good imo

I kind of hate the Royals one but then I don't really like that logo on hats.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Soul Glo posted:

theres only ONE october

for the rockies this has held true so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Penisaurus Sex posted:

That A's one is just as good as the team's future is terrible.

Seconded. Best of the bunch.

The pirates pillbox look without actually being a flat top and the stripes not going all the way around looks dumb as Hell.