Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Should I magnetise the arms on my Deathwing terminators so I may be able to give them assault weapons later? Going to say least do the heavy weapon as I like the Plasma Cannon look but it may be suboptimal, and fists/chainfists should be easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

BizarroAzrael posted:

Should I magnetise the arms on my Deathwing terminators so I may be able to give them assault weapons later? Going to say least do the heavy weapon as I like the Plasma Cannon look but it may be suboptimal, and fists/chainfists should be easy

Only if you plan to convert / print those weapons. Any future assault terminators will almost certainly be sold as a separate kit and include more terminator bodies.

If the Deathwing Knights kit is any indication, I'd also expect that not to include enough upper arms / shoulder pad bits to allow you to easily swap between hammers & lightning claws.

Personally I would only consider magnetising the heavy weapon options where possible.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

xtothez posted:

I'd also expect that not to include enough upper arms / shoulder pad bits to allow you to easily swap between hammers & lightning claws.

im planning on trying to magnetize them but as above poster stated. its this

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I am proud to present, my mound of pride, my trove of opportunity, my entire 100% completed Tyranid army.

Despair, for HIVE FLEET ALSAQR is here!

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

:hellyeah:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hell yeah those are rad

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Holy poo poo, that's rad as hell.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Al-Saqr posted:

I am proud to present, my mound of pride, my trove of opportunity, my entire 100% completed Tyranid army.

This is loving marvelous!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
vivid color very cool

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Yeah, I can't get over how vibrant the army is, it's really wonderful.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I'm not sure why so many people chose to paint their armies in dark colors, they look great in photos but I imagine you want to play some games with them too?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Wrong thread

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Lostconfused posted:

I'm not sure why so many people chose to paint their armies in dark colors, they look great in photos but I imagine you want to play some games with them too?

Because I want them grim dark badasses and a grey brown blob from more than 24" away

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

Both look good. I've got a grimey dark Iron Warriors army and a vibrant purple eldar army.

A dark grimey scheme is also way more forgiving to paint.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Al-Saqr posted:

They look amazing!

atenthirtyone
Aug 11, 2011

Captain Magic posted:

I think it’s a lot of fun where things are right now, and the recent dataslate is really promising in terms of how game balance could be and also in terms of how they want to address adding and subtracting power from factions.

I feel like what’s happening on the table is a lot more linear than 9th. Because abilities are mostly tied to datasheets and not strats, units feel more dynamic and interesting most of the time and the flow of information is easier because it’s all 1:1 with what you’re seeing as opposed to the 67 strats someone might use. Beyond datasheet abilities, keeping track of a handful of strats is not hard.

I really like the tactical mission set-up and terrain rules feel good mostly, although there’s probably a little bit too much terrain.

Everything on the whole feels really lethal for most factions; you have to play well to win and not just show up with a strong list. There’s always skew lists, but those get punished like they always have with either bad reputations or bad match-ups at tournaments. There’s gripes like always about how GW does things or where the meta is at (usually these are justified), but by and large I think the game is really fun at the moment.

That sounds genuinely pleasant. 9th edition had way too much codex knowledge to remember exactly how to deal with every single unit. I guess I’m gonna find a copy of the new edition along with codexes with my armies (Necrons, Knights, Drukhari) and see how they are now.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

:eyepop:

Thems some cool hopepunk bugs.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Lostconfused posted:

Few reasons for that and it's mostly due to the fact that it's easier to do darker colours. Shadows will tend towards full black especially in recesses and spots fully occluded from light so you have less values to transition through. If you're painting a pure white marine there will still be spots that should end up completely black and it is difficult to transition the shadows down to that point. That's why a lot of very bright schemes end up looking like toys.

The other thing is just from properties of paint. It's easy to add other colours like black or brown or blue to darken but you can't lighten a colour past its starting point unless you add white which also desaturates it. If your yellow isn't yellow enough there's nothing you can do.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Lostconfused posted:

maybe some people just like dark colors ?

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

The best Legion of the Damned designer is @algerothen

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Dark, desaturated pallets are really hard to gently caress up if you lean hard into sepia. It's not for everybody, but it's a great and safe way to get a unified look and a strong theme without risking gross color clashes or everything being hella busy.

Al-Saqr's nids hit the bright-not-busy jackpot. They look like tropical fish instead of fruity pebbles, which is gorgeous.

Megaspam
Mar 1, 2007

In this ever changing world in which we live in.
I’m practicing with some old Deathwing Knights before I break into the Deathwing Assault box.

I’m not very happy with the Citadel Caliban Green base and Warpstone Glow highlight for the green cloth.

Do you have a recipe from other ranges that you really like for deep, rich greens?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Megaspam posted:

I’m practicing with some old Deathwing Knights before I break into the Deathwing Assault box.

I’m not very happy with the Citadel Caliban Green base and Warpstone Glow highlight for the green cloth.

Do you have a recipe from other ranges that you really like for deep, rich greens?

Cold
Vallejo dark sea blue (it's more of a green) base, Vallejo deep green layer, then Vallejo emerald

Middle
Ak Deep green then GW warpstone glow or liquitex gouache emerald

Warmer
Pro acryl dark yellow green, pro acryl yellow green, then Vallejo game color livery green or whatever the new one from their line is called

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Spanish Manlove posted:

Pro acryl dark yellow green, pro acryl yellow green, then Vallejo game color livery green or whatever the new one from their line is called

its just called dark green but its pretty old school legit DA green

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

its just called dark green but its pretty old school legit DA green

I like the vince venturella one for warmer greens

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Cease to Hope posted:

the painting comes later

Any advice on doing like this? It looks like Dragonball hair and I was thinking about trying to sculpt some Dragonball hair for some guys.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Spanish Manlove posted:

I like the vince venturella one for warmer greens

never even heard of that brand but then again i am just now painting my first couple modelis in 22 years so im sure things have changed. vallejo stuff seem very similar to what i used to work with.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

After following a bunch of Sonic Sledgehammer videos I'm definitely getting a taste for using Vallejo paints more. Just a shame I always have to order them online, compared to popping down to the local game store to grab whatever Citadel paint I need. (Even if their stock isn't 100% complete either, but then I can just order it there.)

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i just have a bunch of index cards from 20 odd years ago with like my go to mixes with like 2 drops x 1 drop flow reducer 1 drop water etc and they seem to be pretty accurate still.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Is water okay for thinning Citadel and Vallejo paints for airbrush? I was looking at Tamiya thinner earlier but a quick stretch suggests that's wrong for water based acrylics? So far I've just used an old bottle of Vallejo air white and it's been okay neat but a little thick which I think caused issues in the nozzle I'd like to avoid.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is water okay for thinning Citadel and Vallejo paints for airbrush? I was looking at Tamiya thinner earlier but a quick stretch suggests that's wrong for water based acrylics? So far I've just used an old bottle of Vallejo air white and it's been okay neat but a little thick which I think caused issues in the nozzle I'd like to avoid.

I would imagine it might work, but not as well as thinner. I don't think it would hurt to try. I would think most airbrush thinners work, but if you are worried Vallejo airbrush thinner works fine with Vallejo Air paint.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I would imagine it might work, but not as well as thinner. I don't think it would hurt to try. I would think most airbrush thinners work, but if you are worried Vallejo airbrush thinner works fine with Vallejo Air paint.

It's mostly a matter of what I can get quickly, I think I have some in an order with Alchemist Workshop but I'm waiting for a Land Raider to come in.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

never even heard of that brand but then again i am just now painting my first couple modelis in 22 years so im sure things have changed. vallejo stuff seem very similar to what i used to work with.

You should try them out, pro acryl is often very nice

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The only thing I really know about thinning Vallejo is don't mix high percentage alcohol with their primer because it doesn't react well with the polyurethane.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Lostconfused posted:

The only thing I really know about thinning Vallejo is don't mix high percentage alcohol with their primer because it doesn't react well with the polyurethane.

i usually just used water.

airbrush is different but standard dropper maybe flow reducer or increaser and water. never used alcohol ever

this was 20 something years ago example still want to get back up to that level again.

TehRedWheelbarrow fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 8, 2024

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Al-Saqr posted:

These all look amazing. Well done Al-Saqr!

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah I should add, excellent work, al-Saqr. Would get reduced to biomass by that swarm.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

It's nice seeing a complete army.
One day I'll get one myself lol

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

Very cool and good.

Here's a bug of my own I finished this afternoon.

That concludes everything from the Christmas box. Looks like I'm gonna have to buy more bugs. I sure wish wish GW would get around to actually selling Maleceptors again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

BizarroAzrael posted:

Yes water will work, but it works by diluting the paint, the color will be less saturated.

Use Airbrush thinner, which is just distilled water(90%) and Isopropyl Alcohol(10%), to thin non-airbrush paints to the general consistency you want, and then add a little bit of flow improver to get it dialed in.
Tamiya thinner is probably way too hot for Citadel and Vallejo paints.