Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Is Cultural Relevancy Despite All Odds considered a superpower anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean maybe immunity to concussions is one of his powers? Does anyone truly know what his powers are?

Since the NFL license is surely long gone, he could return as the CTE Warrior

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean maybe immunity to concussions is one of his powers? Does anyone truly know what his powers are?

Looking at Wikipedia his powers come from huffing the fumes of some experimental chemicals and football memorabilia going up in flames, so the state of his brain already wasn't lookin great.

edit: though hysterically, no wiki I can find actually lists what his powers are, just that he has them.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

TwoPair posted:

Looking at Wikipedia his powers come from huffing the fumes of some experimental chemicals and football memorabilia going up in flames, so the state of his brain already wasn't lookin great.

edit: though hysterically, no wiki I can find actually lists what his powers are, just that he has them.

I told you!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I own most of the Superpro series and let me tell you this. It is bad.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

TwoPair posted:

A superhero who can do anything he doesn’t know he can’t do.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Mr Hootington posted:

High five my collection sits next to my complete run of Cage

Weaponized concussion powers is just Count Vertigo

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mr Hootington posted:

Can you also tell us what his powers are?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
My particular form of irony poisoning is desperate for the return of Super Pro.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
I’m on Unlimited so a bit behind but it’s crazy to think how good Duggan is doing on X-men now Fall of X is happening. I stuck with the first bulk of the run cos it was OK, but also the characters were doing completely moronic stuff like Jean Grey unilaterally doing what she did with the brood without consulting the two occupied planets and being presented as if she was in the right.

But now it’s so good, it feels like the run has completely turned around.

Also Doctor Strange art continues to be amazing and the story is fun. General Strange origin story was one of the highlights. I guess I should go re-read the last run, I skipped it a bit.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Air Skwirl posted:

Can you also tell us what his powers are?

He's uh pretty much NFL highlight reel Taskmaster but in a NFL million dollar prototype gear that's bulletproof and uggo

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Upsidads posted:

He's uh pretty much NFL highlight reel Taskmaster but in a NFL million dollar prototype gear that's bulletproof and uggo

So just Bo Jackson? Don't get me wrong, a Superhero comic about Bo Jackson could be great, but I would expect more.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Upsidads posted:

Don't forget he doesn't play football anymore due to a catastrophic knee injury. Why this means he can fight crime instead is beyond me.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

I uh think he specifically fought NFL related crime too so he's sort of a cop
I remember him dunking a basketball and as any new marvel line spiderman has to team up and compliment him

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I remember reading a blurb from some good writer that they pitched some Superpro stories but were told no.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rick posted:

I remember reading a blurb from some good writer that they pitched some Superpro stories but were told no.

Yeah, I have a friend who did a little work for Marvel and it was made very clear Superpro is off the table.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

How many people pitch Superpro stories to Marvel that they have to make it clear to people they no longer have the license?

Although give it a few years and Disney will just buy the NFL, and then it's back on the table.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Air Skwirl posted:

How many people pitch Superpro stories to Marvel that they have to make it clear to people they no longer have the license?

Although give it a few years and Disney will just buy the NFL, and then it's back on the table.

From reading Wikipedia it looks like Robert Kirkman wanted to use him in an issue of Marvel Team-Up so uhhh... at least one. Closest he got was having Stilt-Man have a throwaway line saying he beat up a guy called Superpro, so clearly the years have not been well to him if he's losing fights to Stilt-Man.

In my opinion since Disney owns Fox they should bring back Superpro but he's that robot that dances on the screen whenever Fox comes back from commercial breaks during NFL games

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Air Skwirl posted:

People REALLY overestimate Disney's size/worth. I remember a few years back, I think during the Fox acquisition, it was said that Apple could buy them using only a fraction of the spare cash they had. Looking at the stock, they are also worth significantly less than Netflix right now (182 to 240 billion $) .

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Norwegian Rudo posted:

People REALLY overestimate Disney's size/worth. I remember a few years back, I think during the Fox acquisition, it was said that Apple could buy them using only a fraction of the spare cash they had. Looking at the stock, they are also worth significantly less than Netflix right now (182 to 240 billion $) .

Yeah Disney is huge, but not as big as the dumbshit tech.

Plus Disney has been trying to fight off "Activist investors" who want to gut and sell off thr company.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

TwoPair posted:

From reading Wikipedia it looks like Robert Kirkman wanted to use him in an issue of Marvel Team-Up so uhhh... at least one. Closest he got was having Stilt-Man have a throwaway line saying he beat up a guy called Superpro, so clearly the years have not been well to him if he's losing fights to Stilt-Man.

In my opinion since Disney owns Fox they should bring back Superpro but he's that robot that dances on the screen whenever Fox comes back from commercial breaks during NFL games

Do you mean Cleatus? He’s not just some robot, he’s a unique character with his own history.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TwoPair posted:

Disney doesn't own Cleatus. He's part of Fox Sports which is still owned by Fox. Disney's acquisition was mostly just the movie and TV divisions.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Ultimate BP was pretty neat. My local shop only had enough issues for their pull lists so heads up, it'll likely be the same situation for x-men next month.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Man, Ryan North is such a good writer. He just get's those fantasy super scientists.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Kingtheninja posted:

Ultimate BP was pretty neat. My local shop only had enough issues for their pull lists so heads up, it'll likely be the same situation for x-men next month.

I like the character and his adventures but I’m bored to death by Wakandan politics. Is it heavy on politics?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Joe Fisto posted:

I like the character and his adventures but I’m bored to death by Wakandan politics. Is it heavy on politics?

The first issue definitely was. There does seem to be a secondary plot involving two other marvel characters but not sure how heavy the politics will be going forward.

Of the three ultimate ongoing, this is probably the one I'm least interested in. But I'll give it a few issues to wow me.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

When you're dealing with a King there's always going to be some politics. It's just natural. That being said I loved the first issue. Art was great and the other arc mentioned looks like it'll be cool as hell. The first issue was a lot of introduction and showing the dynamics of the relationships between the characters, but something happens at the end of the first issue that pretty much guarantees it's going to be going places fast.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
Killmonger's lover can only be one person, right?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I mean it’s very obvious even if you don’t look at the other covers.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Mallrats taught me to not overthink Ben Grimm's anatomy too much but it weirds me to think that he has normal (or at least visibly normal) human bones underneath it all

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So does Reed. Are they stretchy bones?

So yeah, just don't worry about it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Even his exterior doesn't make much sense to me. How does he have normal human range of motion when every part of his body that would bend or fold is big chunks of rock?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Lobok posted:

Even his exterior doesn't make much sense to me. How does he have normal human range of motion when every part of his body that would bend or fold is big chunks of rock?

Cosmic rays, obviously

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Cosmic rays, obviously

It's true. The 90's cartoon theme explained it thus:

Reed Richards is elastic,
Sue can fade from sight.
Johnny is the Human Torch,
The Thing just loves to fight.

There, you're set. Now go read comics.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Neil Adams believes The Thing is stuff full of meat, while I am of the opinion it is all rock.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the recent thing mini featured him getting hosed up real bad over and over. it's meat under a rocky crust.

that makes the mini sound bad, but it was quite good.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the recent thing mini featured him getting hosed up real bad over and over. it's meat under a rocky crust.

So he's like an overcooked shepherd's pie.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Yeah it's real good

And meat under rock isn't a new idea. It was why he wore a bucket for a bit after Wolverine clawed him in DeFalco's run. Probably goes back further than that

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Ultimate Thing was just a cocoon before he became Ultimate Wonderman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so is there anyone here who is actually enjoying this carnage poo poo? anyone at all.