Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Tetramin posted:

I mostly get killed by people with like 5k hours lol. It’s crazy how many players like that I see, and I come from CS where everyone who plays it has played for 20 years, but I feel like I don’t often see playtime that high.

That time may include a lot of idle menu time and the mini game of organizing their stash. At least that’s what I tell myself when I see my playtime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
I have only met 2 for sure hackers in my ~300 raids so far this wipe. Overall it has been a very good experience so far.

One was a friendly hacker on labs who gave me a GPSA when I asked him nicely.

The other was a naked guy with 5 kills and 400 deaths who 1-tapped me from over 300 meters with sks ironsights when i had a flir.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

Stux posted:

it wasnt real then either

I'm glad it looks better now. I did manage to find that old video I was talking about : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5LfGcDB7Ek

Are you saying this was all fake?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

:munch:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
that video is complete dogshit yes

The big problem in tarkov that gets rolled into the problem with the perception of cheating is that you have no mmr whatsoever so brand new players are in the same lobbies as 5k hour sweats. the gear progression and ammo situation then makes that asymmetry even worse (albeit the recent armor and ammo availability changes are definitely an improvement) because for timothy to get a kill he needed to basically hit either an eye or face shot (or if someone is wearing a face shield, he needs to hit 8-10 leg shots from some shitter ak or w/e). meanwhile 5k hour guy just needed to hit him in torso twice or head once and has ears that have 30m more audible range than the new guy and good optics and map knowledge and probably knows timings down to when people show up places with and without start of raid sj6 use. like you could get rid of 100% of cheaters and the amount of bullshit feeling deaths in tarkov for most people would change like 1 or 2%. the perception of the cheater problem is mostly because tarkov has a bunch of complete poo poo design that is pointlessly cruel to new players. to their credit they've improved a bunch of this this patch, which seems to have caught almost everyone off guard by how good the changes have been. As of this patch, some shitter with pretty much any gun and even half-decent bullets is 10x more of a threat than they were last wipe. basically the big issue was that tarkov had nearly insurmountable asymmetry in encounters, incidentally this is also what cheating feels like to run into

like there's no shortage of cheating in tarkov, it's an online fps obviously people are cheating some of the time, but also the stuff people have to do to get away with cheating in tarkov is some extreme stuff that is simply beyond the computer knowledge of the vast majority of people so no I do not remotely buy that cheating is or was ever as high as goat alleged. As an aside, if you actually go through the video how many instances does he show

also you can sit on fences in full view of people or other obvious rat spots all day long with 1-2 million ruble load outs and watch oblivious people run into you over and over and over and over to the extent that it is clear that, no, the vast majority of the playerbase is absolutely not playing with any enhanced amounts of knowledge. even before the video (which led to bsg cracking down) that was an entirely viable strat that would only very rarely get you killed.

the other particularly stupid thing about the perception of cheating is that the video is alleging that it's all silent cheating, eg people using esp and avoiding fights most of the time, while 95% of the perception of cheating in tarkov is because people get shot in the head and fall over and assume it was a cheater. as of this patch they can now check and see that it is some 3k hour guy with a 2.0kd lol. the other 5% is cheaters with grenades just blindly grenading people and yeah that poo poo actually is incredibly sus

(experience may differ on oce or labs)

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 6, 2024

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
also this is by far the cleanest i've ever experienced tarkov, it's actually kind of wild how much pretty much every fight feels like its between people with very incomplete info. there's also a ton of new and returning players who are so bad that hell they could be cheating their asses off and you'd never be able to tell because game and map knowledge are a lot more impactful than the level of cheating people can consistently get away with in tarkov

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I haven't played in like 2 years but I did the packet sniff cheat, basically gave you a map with everyone's locations and a sorta wallhack. I ran into an insane number of other cheaters, like we had this system if someone was targeting you through a wall or at a distance you would target them back and do this like wiggle thing and both realize you were cheaters and go other ways. I ran into 2-3 of those every single raid, that said it wasn't an aimbot and I still did kinda poorly but it was interesting to try out.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
i am open to a 3rd possibility that there are a bunch of cheaters but they're so dogshit with and without cheats that you'd literally never know

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
Died to a guy on his 2nd ever raid with 2 hours played and a 20kd last night playing on China servers to avoid the oce cheaters lol.

Also got a message some guy got banned on shoreline from the weekend. He naded one of my teammates perfectly, then head tapped me and another mate while we were fighting the goons.

Cheating is rife in the game, but its so hard to tell if someone cheating or not so just shrug it off and go again.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

socialsecurity posted:

I haven't played in like 2 years but I did the packet sniff cheat, basically gave you a map with everyone's locations and a sorta wallhack. I ran into an insane number of other cheaters, like we had this system if someone was targeting you through a wall or at a distance you would target them back and do this like wiggle thing and both realize you were cheaters and go other ways. I ran into 2-3 of those every single raid, that said it wasn't an aimbot and I still did kinda poorly but it was interesting to try out.

Good stuff. Now shut your eyes it’s time to die.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I'm glad it looks better now. I did manage to find that old video I was talking about : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5LfGcDB7Ek

Are you saying this was all fake?

no seems super trusutworthy lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
i dont pay attention to ppl who cry about hacking in fps games bcos before anti cheat where it was just dedicated servers + admins you could get easily banned for "hacking" just for topping a server lol problem is now all u can do is cry, theres no admin and you cant server hop. Enjoy.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

On the plus side pissy server admins can't ban the latest "OP" thing that killed them.

No I'm not still salty about not being able to use FRAG-12 shells in BF3, why do you ask

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

that guy wears a backwards baseball cap indoors when he knows people are going to be seeing him

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
I think there are a few cheaters and that sucks. I’ve only had one obvious cheater this wipe, I reported and then a couple days letter I got a message saying they were banned. There was a Reddit post within the last week which lots of people saw and jumped on saying they were leaving the game. A few of my friends left too. IMO a lot of deaths to “cheaters” is really people getting outplayed. If you’re sprinting around the whole map making a ton of noise don’t be surprised when someone playing a bit slower pops you. Sound is crucial in this game.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I think the truth is somewhere In the middle... I mean :laffo: at the wall of text above saying there was almost non.

I started playing just over a year ago and it was loving awful. It's an entirely different game now and it's far better. I wouldn't say there's non, I'm sure it's a much smaller percentage that it was before though.

Either way, I can't wait for SPTarkov to update.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

yeah, I'd agree with that

there is a very long and obnoxious history of people blaming lack of skill/bad luck/etc. on cheating, and the addition of the ability to see people's profiles this wipe is fantastic since it makes it apparent that no, you just got aced by a geared 5k hour sweatlord on a specific pvp quest/a 0.5 kd player who got lucky, but it doesn't change the fact that there is an enormous amount of smoke around the issue that often spills over into visible flames

I mean poo poo, just this wipe we had the resurgence of the loot vacuum cheat and you could pretty easily tell some percentage of your raids were being cleared out due to the distinctive lag spikes + empty locked rooms, and that's leaning pretty far towards the overt "flying aimbot wizard" side of things, there's very little reason to doubt the prevalence of subtler measures (ESP and the like), especially given the longstanding and well developed market for commercial cheats as well as RMT/accounts sales (despite BSG's attempts to crack down on it)

game is still fun despite this

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Cheating was really bad and that is cause of the game tarkov is, cheat makers saw there was a market for people to stack more odds in their favour in a high risk game and also the goat video did need to happen. now the cheats are still there but they are more hidden if they are smart, like with the ones that sucks the highest loot into your backpack when your spawn in. Pestily killed one of those guys on ground zero in his hardcore run and pretty much went 'Its not even been two minutes!'

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I saw that video. He made it into a short I think.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

I think the truth is somewhere In the middle... I mean :laffo: at the wall of text above saying there was almost non.

I started playing just over a year ago and it was loving awful. It's an entirely different game now and it's far better. I wouldn't say there's non, I'm sure it's a much smaller percentage that it was before though.

Either way, I can't wait for SPTarkov to update.

i'm talking specifically about the last wipe or two of tarkov not some nebulous point in the past. current state of tarkov is about as locked down as any big fps. idk how bad it was 3 years ago and am at no point claiming to speak to that vOv

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Stux posted:

no seems super trusutworthy lol

The gamer Tim Pool. Take off the hat let’s see the top of that head

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

i'm talking specifically about the last wipe or two of tarkov not some nebulous point in the past. current state of tarkov is about as locked down as any big fps. idk how bad it was 3 years ago and am at no point claiming to speak to that vOv

Well that's fair enough, but I'm still not so sure that's right. I'd say the last 6 months or so have been far better, but before that video came out, it was a big issue. Perhaps not as bad as people was making out, for the reasons you brought up. People take it too personally when someone's better than them, or when RNG fucks them.

It wasn't always a cheater..

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The wiggle video guy also made a video about Sue Klebold (mother of one of the Columbine shooters) where he lied pretty much the entire video and was a huge weirdo when he got called on it by a smaller channel who dissected all his claims and deception.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

that video is complete dogshit yes

The big problem in tarkov that gets rolled into the problem with the perception of cheating is that you have no mmr whatsoever so brand new players are in the same lobbies as 5k hour sweats. the gear progression and ammo situation then makes that asymmetry even worse (albeit the recent armor and ammo availability changes are definitely an improvement) because for timothy to get a kill he needed to basically hit either an eye or face shot (or if someone is wearing a face shield, he needs to hit 8-10 leg shots from some shitter ak or w/e). meanwhile 5k hour guy just needed to hit him in torso twice or head once and has ears that have 30m more audible range than the new guy and good optics and map knowledge and probably knows timings down to when people show up places with and without start of raid sj6 use. like you could get rid of 100% of cheaters and the amount of bullshit feeling deaths in tarkov for most people would change like 1 or 2%. the perception of the cheater problem is mostly because tarkov has a bunch of complete poo poo design that is pointlessly cruel to new players. to their credit they've improved a bunch of this this patch, which seems to have caught almost everyone off guard by how good the changes have been. As of this patch, some shitter with pretty much any gun and even half-decent bullets is 10x more of a threat than they were last wipe. basically the big issue was that tarkov had nearly insurmountable asymmetry in encounters, incidentally this is also what cheating feels like to run into

like there's no shortage of cheating in tarkov, it's an online fps obviously people are cheating some of the time, but also the stuff people have to do to get away with cheating in tarkov is some extreme stuff that is simply beyond the computer knowledge of the vast majority of people so no I do not remotely buy that cheating is or was ever as high as goat alleged. As an aside, if you actually go through the video how many instances does he show

also you can sit on fences in full view of people or other obvious rat spots all day long with 1-2 million ruble load outs and watch oblivious people run into you over and over and over and over to the extent that it is clear that, no, the vast majority of the playerbase is absolutely not playing with any enhanced amounts of knowledge. even before the video (which led to bsg cracking down) that was an entirely viable strat that would only very rarely get you killed.

the other particularly stupid thing about the perception of cheating is that the video is alleging that it's all silent cheating, eg people using esp and avoiding fights most of the time, while 95% of the perception of cheating in tarkov is because people get shot in the head and fall over and assume it was a cheater. as of this patch they can now check and see that it is some 3k hour guy with a 2.0kd lol. the other 5% is cheaters with grenades just blindly grenading people and yeah that poo poo actually is incredibly sus

(experience may differ on oce or labs)

:hmmyes: except I mostly think the design is good and not a problem, at least the lack of matchmaking and the way it rewards map/game knowledge. I do like the recoil and armor changes this wipe, though.

The profile view on death thing has been such a massive gamechanger in terms of letting you know you got killed by the absolute worst player alive with a lucky shot or an 8k hour chad and not a cheater. I've run 250 raids this wipe and had like, two suspicious deaths, both of which got banned like a week later (though yeah, I'm not a Russia servers labs main).

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God
My buddy forced us to play on Brazilian servers (we are in america) because, in his words, "there are less cheaters on Brazilian servers". Gave no indication of how he could possibly know this. We had 200 ping and it was completely miserable.

I think worrying about cheaters in this game breaks your brain. They're just a very small percentage of the many, many ways you can potentially get clapped in this game, why spend any amount of time worrying about running into them?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

The wiggle video guy also made a video about Sue Klebold (mother of one of the Columbine shooters) where he lied pretty much the entire video and was a huge weirdo when he got called on it by a smaller channel who dissected all his claims and deception.

he pivoted into being an investigative journalist, lost most of his views, and got sued by someone he defamed lmao

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

The Clap posted:

My buddy forced us to play on Brazilian servers (we are in america) because, in his words, "there are less cheaters on Brazilian servers". Gave no indication of how he could possibly know this. We had 200 ping and it was completely miserable.

I think worrying about cheaters in this game breaks your brain. They're just a very small percentage of the many, many ways you can potentially get clapped in this game, why spend any amount of time worrying about running into them?

its bcos this game more than any other fps game will have you die in ways you do not understand and instead of trying to work out why or thinking about how someone couldve gotten you in x situation its easier to go it was a hacker

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Desync, bad netcode, Laggy Americans on the Brazilian Server, and the dreaded "good player" should all be reasons blamed for your death before hackers IMO.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
Would be nice if you could purchase a "satellite view" of the engagement on exfil/death that is only delivered after the raid ends, maybe like how Overwatch has replay codes. Then you could study folk's movements and maybe see how you died or you could better move to avoid/force engagements in future raids.

This would also help new players immensely, I think.

I've only had one sus death and they got banned, but I'm mostly scaving to learn maps right now.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Aexo posted:

Would be nice if you could purchase a "satellite view" of the engagement on exfil/death that is only delivered after the raid ends, maybe like how Overwatch has replay codes. Then you could study folk's movements and maybe see how you died or you could better move to avoid/force engagements in future raids.

I've only had one sus death and they got banned, but I'm mostly scaving to learn maps right now.

I hope they are pulling in the Arena killcam feature into Tarkov eventually. I think it's a tricky thing to pull off, and I'd suspect especially so in Unity.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

poe meater posted:

Desync, bad netcode, Laggy Americans on the Brazilian Server, and the dreaded "good player" should all be reasons blamed for your death before hackers IMO.

Or just "man sitting in one of the infinite shadowy piles of trash or bushes or windows that completely surround you on every map" lol

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Aexo posted:

They could totally make it part of the game lore that one of the traders has a drone flying around the battlefield and willing to sell some footage.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Neon Belly posted:

They could totally make it part of the game lore that one of the traders has a drone flying around the battlefield and willing to sell some footage.

Knowing BSG, it'd be unlocked at level 45 and would require you to get 40 headshots on PMCs on Shoreline from 50 metres away with a Makarov and no armour.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.

Kazinsal posted:

Knowing BSG, it'd be unlocked at level 45 and would require you to get 40 headshots on PMCs on Shoreline from 50 metres away with a Makarov and no armour.

I unironically thought they'd make it too late in the quest line or too expensive in turn-in materials to be of any use to newbies. Not that they should, but that they would.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Kazinsal posted:

The drone got shot down after your raid so you have to head into shoreline and yank the drive from the wreck.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I'd would also be a quest that peacekeeper gives, so nobody except sweats unlock it

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

As if it wouldn't be a hideout upgrade where you have to assemble drones from nails, shampoo and a usb drive.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
If you go to the tarkov website you can claim your Chinese new year package. The highlight is a vector 45 and enough buckwheat to trade for a blue fuel container.

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
I hit level 21 and can't go to Ground Zero anymore. The only map I feel like I know.

What's a good map to learn after that? I liked that Ground Zero was relatively small but still big enough that I could do runs without running into anyone when I wanted to avoid combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
Woods and customs. All your early quests are on those 2