Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Al! posted:

they never show what happens to trill who fail to be parasitized but i assume hard labor in the dilithium mines

I think they're literally like the trill gas station attendants and secretaries and stuff

e: actually i totally forgot about this but ezri didnt have a symbiont when she was first introduced. they put the brainworm in her because she was the closest warm body when jadzia died and im not sure she actually consented?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

extremely post scarcity society energy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFfaL3_Mv0s

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
That sounds a lot like the plot to that movie 'Moon', are you saying there are also clone slaves in Star Trek now?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

sullat posted:

That sounds a lot like the plot to that movie 'Moon', are you saying there are also clone slaves in Star Trek now?

i mean

whats this look like to you

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

The Oldest Man posted:

i mean

whats this look like to you

b-b-but they're holograms!

i haven't gotten to this point in voyager yet

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
to beverly crusher: youre telling me youre the chief medical officer of the federation flagship, and you aint got any gay pills????

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

I think they're literally like the trill gas station attendants and secretaries and stuff

e: actually i totally forgot about this but ezri didnt have a symbiont when she was first introduced. they put the brainworm in her because she was the closest warm body when jadzia died and im not sure she actually consented?

yeah ezri was just on a nearby space bus. i think she consented because like less than a percent of trill get a lil spine buddy so that's a pretty good deal.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

i tried to watch voyager but a few episodes in they were like "here's this guy, he's dating a 2 year old but she's very mature for her age" and that was the end of that

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i honestly still dont understand what the message of that first trill episode is. heterosexuality is immutable? if your spouse is trans, its ok to leave them?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Hatebag posted:

i tried to watch voyager but a few episodes in they were like "here's this guy, he's dating a 2 year old but she's very mature for her age" and that was the end of that

weirdly enough she comes back years later as an angry old woman and tries to rip the entire ship apart with her psychic powers for some reason

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Hatebag posted:

im trying to imagine the crew of the eisenhower carrier group realizing it would take 70 years to get back to port and continuing to function normally like it was just another day at the office

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Mandel Brotset posted:

im trying to imagine the crew of the eisenhower carrier group realizing it would take 70 years to get back to port and continuing to function normally like it was just another day at the office

now imagine if they had unlimited Taco Bell and Netflix and they encounter wacky new hijinks every few weeks

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

SixteenShells posted:

i think it's kind of interesting for DS9 to come along and say "yeah that utopia poo poo was horsepiss"

in the context of how every tv drama since 2001 is about hard guys making hard choices and how nothing better can ever be possible ds9 was way ahead of its time

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

if you replace "got sent to the other side of a space hole" with "covid happened," michael bay has you covered https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gZ6bpIjeLs

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

atelier morgan posted:

in the context of how every tv drama since 2001 is about hard guys making hard choices and how nothing better can ever be possible ds9 was way ahead of its time

Well, it is compelling to see a utopia still have to deal with material conditions and adversaries that do not share its vision. Just because the Federation is post-scarcity and utopian doesn't mean everyone in the galaxy will follow suit and sing kumbayah together forever.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

The Oldest Man posted:

if you replace "got sent to the other side of a space hole" with "covid happened," michael bay has you covered https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gZ6bpIjeLs

lol I watched this trash, in one episode they rig up a bunch of parachutes to turn the destroyer or w/e the boat is into a sailboat. I was high as poo poo and loved every second of that slop

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

looks like the navy still has ammo in the Michael Bay cinematic universe

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Don't know where else to put this

https://twitter.com/NateB_Panic/status/1755187997647966495?t=kbV8YqUwyo4Xe1oiWrYVew&s=19

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

skooma512 posted:

Well, it is compelling to see a utopia still have to deal with material conditions and adversaries that do not share its vision. Just because the Federation is post-scarcity and utopian doesn't mean everyone in the galaxy will follow suit and sing kumbayah together forever.

i think ds9 was one of the last american shows that did this rather than going full on into self-justifying sheepdog logic

if ds9 was made in 2024, section 31 would be the cool sheepdogs who do what no one else can and the coup admirals would be shown as heroes who got stabbed in the back by politicians. so basically picard actually.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

The Oldest Man posted:

i think ds9 was one of the last american shows that did this rather than going full on into self-justifying sheepdog logic

if ds9 was made in 2024, section 31 would be the cool sheepdogs who do what no one else can and the coup admirals would be shown as heroes who got stabbed in the back by politicians. so basically picard actually.

yeah, later trek took the things ds9 was like 'wouldn't it be hosed up if...' and concluded nah that's all cool actually

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

atelier morgan posted:

yeah, lower decks took the things ds9 was like 'wouldn't it be hosed up if...' and concluded nah that's really funny actually

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

lower decks is the only good trek show since ds9, fight me

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

The Oldest Man posted:

andor is also good imo

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Mandel Brotset posted:

andor is also good imo

:hmmyes:

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Mandel Brotset posted:

andor is also good imo

They made a show about the blue aliens?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Al! posted:

they never show what happens to trill who fail to be parasitized but i assume hard labor in the dilithium mines

the new video game actually features an unjoined host trill character who thinks the whole system is deeply hosed up.

"Nili: My sister was the closest person in the world to me. I knew she would be different after joining, but she grew more and more distant, the room we shared growing up was foreign to the both of us. And eventually, she... or whoever she'd become, cut me out entirely. So I left for Starfleet and swore I'd never go back. I couldn't stand the thought of seeing her... someone who looked like my sister."

funnily enough she manages to be an enlisted rate, the kind of thing roddenberry kept at narrative arm's-length at least sometimes insisting everyone in star fleet trek was an officer (after all you had to be an officer to be an astronaut he said)

weird derail the world war 3 thread is on, but maybe i'll change my mind when on trial for the crimes of my species in the post-atomic horror

Owlbear Camus has issued a correction as of 01:21 on Feb 8, 2024

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
starting to sound like the federation is going to lose the third klingon war

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
in a post scarcity world i would not join starfleet

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Palladium posted:

in a post scarcity world i would not join starfleet

*guy with a low-grade civilian runabout painted in federation colors, a surplus command department onesie, and a hand phaser that shoots 6mm plastic bbs.*

I almost joined starfleet. I think I would have been special forces if I did. But I knew I'm too dangerous and free-willed. I would have beat up my instructor first day of academy.

Cerebral Bore posted:

They talk a big game about type XII phasers and quantum torpedoes, but they're still using Organian incident era transporter tech that fails whenever theirs a radiation storm or exotic mineral.

Frankly it seems like the admiralty just takes it as an article of faith you'll have the local orbital superiority you need to fly shuttles at will.

Owlbear Camus has issued a correction as of 01:24 on Feb 8, 2024

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Cerebral Bore posted:

the federation does at least have a central planning bureau and builds lots of cheap tonnage to go alongside the insanely stupid boondoggles

mirandas exploding by the dozen in the dominion war are the soviet era stockpiles of star trek

Socialized
Oct 27, 2010
The only thing worse than Star Wars nerds are Star Trek nerds

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

atelier morgan posted:

the federation does at least have a central planning bureau and builds lots of cheap tonnage to go alongside the insanely stupid boondoggles

mirandas exploding by the dozen in the dominion war are the soviet era stockpiles of star trek

cut off from the bountiful economy of the dominion in the gama quadrant, is the federation's economy running TOO hot? weyoun 17 is here to discuss.

also on dominion news tonight, the great link debates a bill for continued support to the embattled breen as gul damar re-invades bajor to prop up his embattled government

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Socialized posted:

The only thing worse than Star Wars nerds are Star Trek nerds

This post is Blake's Seven nerds erasure!

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Mandel Brotset posted:

this sounds badass

That's because it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxxhAS16vB0

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

The Oldest Man posted:

They're making a Section 31 show, which will probably be like this. It's a spinoff of Discovery, which was also kinda like this.

The Oldest Man posted:

Strange New Worlds was actually super good. The finest Trek of the 21st century by far. I was sketched by the prequelness and worried it was just more TOS nostalgia bullshit but I was very impressed and I'm usually not impressed.

Lower Decks is also super good, but it's not the same kind of thing.

skooma512 has issued a correction as of 01:53 on Feb 8, 2024

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

skooma512 posted:

Strange New Worlds was actually super good. The finest Trek of the 21st century by far. I was sketched by the prequelness and worried it was just more TOS nostalgia bullshit but I was very impressed and I'm usually not impressed.

I watched the whole first season on an international flight. Didn't think I'd like it after Discovery left such a bad taste in my mouth. Good pacing. Good stories. Cast had charisma. I really liked Pike's arc.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Strange New Worlds was incredibly racist towards the Gorn. Like worse than TOS-era Klingons are Soviets poo poo.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

skooma512 posted:

They're making a Section 31 show, which will probably be like this. It's a spinoff of Discovery, which was also kinda like this.

Lower Decks is also super good, but it's not the same kind of thing.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Strange New Worlds was incredibly racist towards the Gorn. Like worse than TOS-era Klingons are Soviets poo poo.

id have been more forgiving of this if they hadnt blatantly ripped off much better sci fi in the process

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

gradenko_2000 posted:

they're orks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/BowTiedDaddy/status/1755062087460495494

nobody wants to fly planes anymore so time to call in the retirees