Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

At most the 'pressure' is some American diplomat going "C'mon man we're getting killed domestically over this, can you ease up a little?"

I mean maybe the US is operating behind the scenes to engineer a solution so sublime and well crafted that a hundred years from now Biden is credited as the greatest peacemaker of the 21st c. but uhhh I think it's more likely that the situation is resolved by aliens showing up and forcing peace on the region.

I hope to God we're seeing some movement on a ceasefire, but I don't see how you bring Bibi to the table for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

National Parks posted:

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/i-am-zionist-how-joe-bidens-lifelong-bond-with-israel-shapes-war-policy-2023-10-21/

I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone as Pro-Zionist because he's old as dirt and has been running interference for Israel his entire career. Guy was literally protecting Bibi while he was slagging off the Obama Administration.

He literally screwed over Hillary Clinton (HILLARY CLINTON!!!) from the right on Israel once.

The man is a more sincere Zionist than any other President since Truman, and probably more so than him.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 7, 2024

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ms Adequate posted:

At most the 'pressure' is some American diplomat going "C'mon man we're getting killed domestically over this, can you ease up a little?"

I mean maybe the US is operating behind the scenes to engineer a solution so sublime and well crafted that a hundred years from now Biden is credited as the greatest peacemaker of the 21st c. but uhhh I think it's more likely that the situation is resolved by aliens showing up and forcing peace on the region.

I hope to God we're seeing some movement on a ceasefire, but I don't see how you bring Bibi to the table for it.

Eh, the State Department and similarly-minded officials were quietly muttering for Netanyahu to calm down from day one. It's not especially hard to parse their reasoning if you have the slightest iota of, well, empathy. Their strategy (mostly) hasn't worked, so it's bad, seeing as it not working means there's an ongoing genocidal invasion, but they're not just okaying sending Israel weapons for shits and giggles.

The underlying concept, given so much as a cursory glance at the combination of their actions and their rhetoric, boils down to "we need to keep Israel happy so they'll listen to us and we can avert the worst case scenarios". The two things the US desperately wants to avoid are:

- The IDF flipping the switch from War Crimes to Mass Extermination, because that's a bad look and highly detrimental to US interests (and there are people in the admin who don't like civilians being slaughtered, so that's an also-ran motivator), and
- The war seriously escalating to Lebanon/Iraq/Iran, because that's a no-poo poo nuclear war risk.

The administration also pretty clearly doesn't want Israel to use this as an excuse to destroy the West Bank, which is why that's been the bit where they've taken concrete coercive action. They don't greatly care about Gaza one way or the other but are pretty pro-humanitarian-aid as long as it doesn't cost anything meaningful. Their ideal outcome is the destruction of Hamas (good luck) with a minimum of civilian casualties (horse, barn, door) and going back to not having to think very much about Gaza.

Keeping Israel sweet with tank shells (bad, justifiable as not too war crimey if you're a diplomat who wants to sleep at night) and Iron Dome ammunition (frankly, who cares) may or may not be keeping communication lines open to prevent those two things, but it's not a huge amount of comfort to Gaza at the moment. Maybe if the IDF had declared victory and gone home by Christmas. I'm curious whether it had/has anything to do with keeping the insufficient aid going through or the current public negotiations. I'm leaning towards no, or rather, that it's neither necessary nor sufficient to go above and beyond with military aid.

Pretty much everything else is either trying to reopen shipping lanes or identical to all other US policy towards Israel for longer than I've been alive. The reasoning there is even less difficult to parse.

tldr anyone who thinks the average state department or similar bureaucrat thinks of themselves as pro-genocide needs to log off but institutionally their strategy has clearly failed to avert mass murder in the service of ethnic cleansing, and that's bad

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
I think defunding UNWRA based on the IDF’s laughable evidence proves they aren’t at all serious about getting Israel to stop the genocide. Chamberlain was misguided, but he was never supplying the German invasion of the Sudetenland.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

A big flaming stink posted:

https://twitter.com/KSAmofaEN/status/1755020860836962666

uh, wew, that's kind of a huge red line to lay out in plain english

the al-aqsa flood appears to have achieved its major strategic goal of killing saudi-israeli normalization stone dead

If the Saudi's mean this, then yes the campaign of Hamas can be considered a victory given they achieved their main objective.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Pretty much. If the USA was really flexing its institutional muscle to get aid and food into Gaza and curtail the increasing siege of the West Bank, I might believe the whole "We're working super hard to rein in these bloodthirsty israelis, it's a full time job!" spiel.

That they instantly plunged a dagger into one of the few UN agencies keeping the situation there survivable based on -zero- evidence tells me that they're just keeping the ethnic cleanse to a media-friendly pace. "We're doing it Homestead Act style, guys, not Sabra and Chatila! Keep it on the DL until it's a fait accompli!"

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

Google Jeb Bush posted:

The underlying concept, given so much as a cursory glance at the combination of their actions and their rhetoric, boils down to "we need to keep Israel happy so they'll listen to us and we can avert the worst case scenarios". The two things the US desperately wants to avoid are:

tldr anyone who thinks the average state department or similar bureaucrat thinks of themselves as pro-genocide needs to log off but institutionally their strategy has clearly failed to avert mass murder in the service of ethnic cleansing, and that's bad

That line about things being even worse if the US weren't involved is a line the US has used in almost every genocide they've supported, from Yemen in the 2010s to Pakistan with Kissinger, it's always been just a fig leaf.

Of course no one in the state department believes they're a monster, that's how the whole system is set up to work. They all believe they're good people making hard choices. Doesn't make them any less culpable or the outcomes any better.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
it must really put a strain on the arms and back to carry this much water for them

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
The US was far from the only country to suspend - not abolish, not that it matters in the short to medium term - funding for UNRWA, but it was the first, and presumably impacted the other decisions. Switzerland thought about doing so in december for different nominal reasons. If I'm reading correctly, UNRWA can continue functioning as normal for another three weeks, but it's possible I'm misreading and that's the shut down date, not when it starts impacting Gaza assistance.

State Department messaging on UNRWA is a weird mess. At minimum, something very stupid happened behind the scenes in the administration (and Congress is being credulous dumbasses about it too).

It's the topic of the first half of this presser: https://www.state.gov/briefings/department-press-briefing-february-5-2024/ Summary: "we recognize unrwa's importance and look forward to the results of the investigation" "why are you suspending funding at a crucial moment based on the alleged actions of a small number of employees who were fired before the suspension" "good question. i have no idea. we recognize unrwa's importance and look forward to the results of the investigation"

Fake edit: several news organizations seem to have acquired the short dossier and the universal assessment seems to be "lol wtf"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

In slightly brighter west bank news:

Smotrich is trying and failing hilariously to protect the four (...so far?) sanctioned settlers from Finding Out. Turns out Israeli banks don't want to touch them anymore either. lol rip

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...ster-in-a-bind/

And it looks like these fuckos are in real trouble.

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...targeting-mean/

if i broke the links by removing the silly number strings at the end, don't blame me, blame yourself or god

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Google Jeb Bush posted:

The US was far from the only country to suspend - not abolish, not that it matters in the short to medium term - funding for UNRWA, but it was the first, and presumably impacted the other decisions. Switzerland thought about doing so in december for different nominal reasons. If I'm reading correctly, UNRWA can continue functioning as normal for another three weeks, but it's possible I'm misreading and that's the shut down date, not when it starts impacting Gaza assistance.

State Department messaging on UNRWA is a weird mess. At minimum, something very stupid happened behind the scenes in the administration (and Congress is being credulous dumbasses about it too).

It's the topic of the first half of this presser: https://www.state.gov/briefings/department-press-briefing-february-5-2024/ Summary: "we recognize unrwa's importance and look forward to the results of the investigation" "why are you suspending funding at a crucial moment based on the alleged actions of a small number of employees who were fired before the suspension" "good question. i have no idea. we recognize unrwa's importance and look forward to the results of the investigation"

Fake edit: several news organizations seem to have acquired the short dossier and the universal assessment seems to be "lol wtf"

This doesn’t address the assertion that the US defunding the UNRWA means that the US isn’t pressuring Israel. This is just “well other counties are doing it too and Switzerland wanted to do it before as well”.

I’m with the others. The US isnt really pressuring Israel to stop when Biden bypassed Congress to authorize weapon sales and publicly say that there shouldn’t be a ceasefire.

theCalamity fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 7, 2024

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

theCalamity posted:

This doesn’t address the assertion that the US defunding the UNRWA means that the US isn’t pressuring Israel. This is just “well other counties are doing it too and Switzerland wanted to do it before as well”.

I’m with the others. The US isnt really pressuring Israel to stop when Biden bypassed Congress to authorize weapon sales and publicly say that there shouldn’t be a ceasefire.

Oh I wasn't clear, that wasn't a rebuttal to the point, it was me reading up on the unrwa thing and posting as I found stuff. My rebuttal, such as it is, is that the US's diplomatic policy toward Israel isn't entirely coherent outside of trying to prevent all out regional war. Backing them (so far) on the dumb unrwa thing doesn't erase their "pretty please don't bomb quite so many civilians" entreaties, whatever is going on behind the scenes with hostage and ceasefire negotiations, and that one ominous mutter about maybe possibly recognizing Palestine, and those largely toothless (so far) appeals to our friendship and Israel's better nature certainly don't erase the material or public affairs contributions to Israel's genocidal project in Gaza.

On unrwa specifically I think the messy official State messaging is both interesting and relevant to my point that the administration seems to be institutionally confused / internally conflicted. It fits with their previous kinda incompatible headline positions of "Hamas delenda est" and "we would like Gazans to not all die so we're going to send humanitarian aid and complain when Israel blocks it".

They're also making noises about reallocating unrwa aid to other organizations ("temporarily, or based on the outcome of the investigation" but I don't have high hopes with unrwa getting acorned). Even if this is completely on the level, I don't like it, because it's ceding ground on this to the country that desperately wants refugee status for non-Jews to be non-hereditary. E: also, there are like 20k unrwa employees in an organizational structure with local and regional trust and connections that you can't just snap your fingers and replicate in a day

Side note that I pulled from my earlier post because I was a bit fuzzy on the context: some news orgs, particularly in the Israeli propaganda end of the spectrum have been citing some '''investigations''' by UN Watch, a nonprofit that claims it's an impartial watchdog and has intermittently done some alright work (afaict) on topics that aren't Israel. And *boy* have these people gone mask off since Oct 7. https://unwatch.org/ If you see a source citing these psychos, maybe reevaluate that source, and probably throw the thing they're saying at that moment in the garbage. I mention it in this context because they're laundering or producing some really despicable propaganda about unrwa.

tbh I'm wondering if they're linked to the dossier Israel gave the un

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 7, 2024

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Oh I wasn't clear, that wasn't a rebuttal to the point, it was me reading up on the unrwa thing and posting as I found stuff. My rebuttal, such as it is, is that the US's diplomatic policy toward Israel isn't entirely coherent outside of trying to prevent all out regional war. Backing them (so far) on the dumb unrwa thing doesn't erase their "pretty please don't bomb quite so many civilians" entreaties, whatever is going on behind the scenes with hostage and ceasefire negotiations, and that one ominous mutter about maybe possibly recognizing Palestine, and those largely toothless (so far) appeals to our friendship and Israel's better nature certainly don't erase the material or public affairs contributions to Israel's genocidal project in Gaza.

On unrwa specifically I think the messy official State messaging is both interesting and relevant to my point that the administration seems to be institutionally confused / internally conflicted. It fits with their previous kinda incompatible headline positions of "Hamas delenda est" and "we would like Gazans to not all die so we're going to send humanitarian aid and complain when Israel blocks it".

They're also making noises about reallocating unrwa aid to other organizations ("temporarily, or based on the outcome of the investigation" but I don't have high hopes with unrwa getting acorned). Even if this is completely on the level, I don't like it, because it's ceding ground on this to the country that desperately wants refugee status for non-Jews to be non-hereditary. E: also, there are like 20k unrwa employees in an organizational structure with local and regional trust and connections that you can't just snap your fingers and replicate in a day

Side note that I pulled from my earlier post because I was a bit fuzzy on the context: some news orgs, particularly in the Israeli propaganda end of the spectrum have been citing some '''investigations''' by UN Watch, a nonprofit that claims it's an impartial watchdog and has intermittently done some alright work (afaict) on topics that aren't Israel. And *boy* have these people gone mask off since Oct 7. https://unwatch.org/ If you see a source citing these psychos, maybe reevaluate that source, and probably throw the thing they're saying at that moment in the garbage. I mention it in this context because they're laundering or producing some really despicable propaganda about unrwa.

tbh I'm wondering if they're linked to the dossier Israel gave the un

I think your recent cluster of posts is meant as a response to this

quote:

And you're probably right that career diplomats in the state department aren't pro-genocide. But this elides the fact that, since Kissinger at least, US presidents have consistently sidelined and ignored the advice of career diplomats in the state department, and have yielded to political pressure from the Zionist lobby. I don't mean to be all "read this book" as a rebuttal, but one of the most eye-opening things I learned from reading this boring-rear end collection of primary sources on the conflict was that our foreign policy experts more-or-less correctly predicted the disastrous consequences of yielding to zionist demands, but in every case were ignored or dismissed.

Anyway, more to the point: I think the original poster you replied to was using "some American diplomat" as a proxy for "the official US position as enacted by people who actually make the decisions", not "the view of foreign policy experts at the state department". I imagine that the foreign policy experts know how disastrous US policy has been and continues to be, and are, to the minimal extent that they are able, attempting to minimize it.

Everything that I've read seems to indicate that Biden is (like just about every previous US president) refusing to listen to the experts because he is a sincere 100% true believing zionist. You're likely right that there is some internal tension, but the tension is almost assuredly between Biden himself (a committed zionist who cannot display a shred of empathy for the Palestinians, even to save his rear end in the election) and experts who understand how badly he is loving up.

But, frankly, the existence of some tension in the absence of concrete actions to avert the starvation of 2 million people doesn't count for poo poo. Moreover, I'm not sure what the point of defending the honor of the state department experts is, when the guy who actually makes the decisions is perfectly OK letting tens of thousands of children get murdered or mutilated / facilitating the starvation of, again, two million loving people. Yes, it would be better if people who know that it's not 1973 anymore were calling the shots, but they're not. Genocide Joe is, and there's no indication that he's going to change course.

Ultimately, it does not matter what the administration wants if the guy in charge is totally unwilling to exert any leverage to ensure that it gets what it wants. I've said this in a few previous posts, but just to re-iterate: Time is running out for Gazans. Without a massive and immediate increase in the amount of aid that gets through, cholera and starvation are going to finish off almost everyone that Israeli bombs haven't. "We wrote a position paper praising UNRWA" isn't going to absolve the Biden admin (or the US collectively) from responsibility here.

Honestly, I have a lot of trouble understanding what your point of view is. You seem to acknowledge that Israel is committing a genocide and that the Biden administration is aiding and abetting said genocide, but you consistently try to minimize Biden's responsibility by implying that he's working to end the genocide behind the scenes. As far as I can tell there's no evidence at all for that, and a decent body of evidence that points to Biden (& Blinken) categorically refusing the advice of career experts, other administration officials, and democratic interest groups (Black pastors, unions, etc) who are urging him to use some kind of leverage. It's as if you've assented to all of the premises that lead to the conclusion "Joe Biden is OK with the genocide of the Palestinian people", but can't bring yourself to follow through on the inference.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

There are a bunch of reasons I bang on about the Biden admin and not Joe Biden, here and on other topics (except maybe labor i guess), and specifically refer to the administration and not the guy. It seems plausible enough to me that he's on the end of the administration that hates Hamas and doesn't especially care about the people of Gaza. Which yes, isn't good on the guy with whom the buck stops.

If you want to ascribe the less poo poo end of the administration on Gaza as despite Biden rather than because of him, then... sure? Your argument seems reasonable? The people who wrote that complaint letter wanting a ceasefire weeks/months ago sure aren't driving the bus.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Unlike the full on genocide participation of Joe Biden, the Biden admin is an anonymous letter short of full on genocide participation.

It amounts to the same on the ground, and all are complicit. They can prove they are against genocide with actions.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Gnumonic posted:

Anyway, more to the point: I think the original poster you replied to was using "some American diplomat" as a proxy for "the official US position as enacted by people who actually make the decisions", not "the view of foreign policy experts at the state department". I imagine that the foreign policy experts know how disastrous US policy has been and continues to be, and are, to the minimal extent that they are able, attempting to minimize it.

More or less, yeah; I can certainly believe that the Biden administration has tried to ask Israel to scale back or stop the campaign, but upon being told to gently caress off, have continued acting in exactly the same supportive way.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Google Jeb Bush posted:

There are a bunch of reasons I bang on about the Biden admin and not Joe Biden, here and on other topics (except maybe labor i guess), and specifically refer to the administration and not the guy. It seems plausible enough to me that he's on the end of the administration that hates Hamas and doesn't especially care about the people of Gaza. Which yes, isn't good on the guy with whom the buck stops.

If you want to ascribe the less poo poo end of the administration on Gaza as despite Biden rather than because of him, then... sure? Your argument seems reasonable?

this is the thread for discussing Israel/Palestine, not various other topics including labor. Someone toward the end of the last page just made the case that Biden is specifically and uniquely the most Zionist president since 1948 and that influences administration policy. That is what everyone else was talking about.

The Biden admin generally and whether or not State Department functionaries in their secret little hearts support genocide was not something anyone else had raised. So I understand neither what the point of your intervention was nor why you're so much using weird hedging language here as you discuss it.

No one here was asking if their argument "seemed reasonable", so your insistence on long discursive explanations to questions no one asked while slipping in "no yeah that totally makes sense" doesn't feel like a good faith response, it feels like a sudden shift to a question no one was talking about, and since you have a star, that decision feels loaded. Either call an argument reasonable or unreasonable or don't engage with it. "seems reasonable" "if you want" is nothing.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 8, 2024

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

hadji murad posted:

Unlike the full on genocide participation of Joe Biden, the Biden admin is an anonymous letter short of full on genocide participation.

It amounts to the same on the ground, and all are complicit. They can prove they are against genocide with actions.

Yeah this anonymous state department muttering is impotent and cowardly rear end-covering not a strategy to stop Israel's genocide. To contend otherwise is absolutely baffling.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

deadking posted:

Yeah this anonymous state department muttering is impotent and cowardly rear end-covering not a strategy to stop Israel's genocide. To contend otherwise is absolutely baffling.
No, and they also clearly are not being taken seriously when it comes to decision making. The WH is driving the I/P policy here, and at best State is playing cleanup.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Staluigi posted:

besides the whole thing where israel just decides that full-blown violent ethnic cleansing of the palestinians is just something they get to do, the way they did this UNRWA poo poo feels to me like that israel's decades and decades of using their free hall pass for genocide and violent reprisal completely dissolved their ABILITY to bother with offering real evidence or justification for the poo poo they do. like, in this case they don't care and so they haven't even bothered, but they also just lost the capacity to not make this look like total obvious bullshit, and it really shows the second they start trying to offer their version of evidence. like the ACORN comparison is spot on, because the whole op feels exactly as cynical and shoddy as literally project veritas, but this time representing a whole nation

so they're flashing that hall pass (and it works, none of their opposition worldwide even matters enough to stop the current campaign) but they're doing it in a way which could cash out the whole ecosystem they made for themselves that muted any effective opposition, and then they'll find that all the institutional muscles they're supposed to use for believable PR are just completely atrophied away

The big thing that people are picking up on is that Israel has correctly determined that the only thing that matters wrt their ability to keep doing whatever they want is whether or not they can maintain American support. A lot of their efforts are very clumsy if not even counter productive globally, but they've still unfortunately been broadly very effective on the American audience they're targeting. particularly among natsec people and really anyone with any latent islamaphobia leftover from the last several decades, that early wave of israeli propaganda about alleged utterly over the top crimes by hamas was incredibly effective at framing the conflict.

Sephyr posted:

Pretty much. If the USA was really flexing its institutional muscle to get aid and food into Gaza and curtail the increasing siege of the West Bank, I might believe the whole "We're working super hard to rein in these bloodthirsty israelis, it's a full time job!" spiel.

That they instantly plunged a dagger into one of the few UN agencies keeping the situation there survivable based on -zero- evidence tells me that they're just keeping the ethnic cleanse to a media-friendly pace. "We're doing it Homestead Act style, guys, not Sabra and Chatila! Keep it on the DL until it's a fait accompli!"

Yeah if the US generally or more specifically any significant part of the Biden admin or even Biden himself gave a single gently caress about stopping this in any real way it would be finished overnight. If mobilizing humanitarian aid was a priority it would look like the height of the American aid transfer to Ukraine instead the absolute farce of a trickle that it actually is. When the US wants something to happen in a real way and isn't just stalling and making PR-motivated noises you can tell because heaven and earth get moved to make it happen.

as an aside, I don't doubt for one second that many, many people in State generally hate what is happening as it is full of bleeding heart liberal internationalist types (as it should be, those are the kind of people you want running your day-to-day foreign policy), but they clearly have basically zero impact on policy

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 9, 2024

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
This is an interesting article from Bloomberg: Chinese Ships Get Cheaper Insurance to Navigate Red Sea

Bloomberg posted:

“The market is reflecting the lower risk profile faced by Chinese- and Hong Kong-connected vessels, as shown in the increased Asian-flagged and connected tonnage transiting the region,” said Munro Anderson, head of operations at marine war risk and insurance specialist Vessel Protect. “That said, despite a declaration of safe passage by the Houthis, there are no guarantees that incidents of miscalculation can be avoided.”

Though Chinese ships are seeing discounts compared with most of the market, some vessels with ties to the the US, UK and Israel are having to pay more for cover.

Setting aside whether Israeli-connected ships are being specifically selected for, this does seem to indicate that the Houthis aren't selecting for Chinese vessels.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
It would seem so. And to be honest the UK, US and Israeli linked ships having to pay a premium also seems to indicate the Houthi's are targeting them in as much as they are avoiding Chinese vessels.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One of a thousand tragic little stories in Gaza has, sadly, had the expected ending.

https://x.com/taj_ali1/status/1756238755906658554?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

https://x.com/taj_ali1/status/1756244758572241007?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
Translating from the DK national broadcaster's coverage of this:

quote:

A family member called the Palestinian Red Crescent and said that the car had been attacked in Gaza. Only two girls were still alive: Hind and her 15 year-old second cousin Layan, whose phone number he shared.

A Red Crescent worker called the number, and Layan picked up. Her voice was agitated. The call was recorded by the Palestinian Red Crescent, which has published parts of the call.

There was a tank next to the car, Layan said. Only Israel has tanks in Gaza.

- They're shooting at us. The tank is next to us, Layan says in the recording.

What sounds like gunshots are then heard, and the girl screams. The call then goes silent.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Jesus Christ. You'd hope that this would do something. Anything to cause politicians to rethink their support of the IOF.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
"A Palestinian source alleges children have interacted with munitions in an IDF adjacent incident involved with Israel's war against Hamas, the Iranian backed organization that launched the horrific attack on October 7th that killed 1200 Israelis..."

Edit I'm sure my meaning was clear enough to anybody who catches mainstream coverage of the conflict. But for additional content, even if people had a better relationship to the levers of the world (in the US, for example,, a realistic presidential candidate who would try to stop this in earnest), I don't see a lot of hope they would. Given how reporting usually sounds and the supremely lovely stuff I've heard anecdotally.

"If it's so bad there [gaza] why do they have so many children?"
"What about the holocaust? Let me know when six million Palestinians die!"
"They had to know voting for Hamas would lead to this!"

None of these folks are Israeli, Jewish, or relublicans. It's just a self defense mechanism, because we are obviously the good guys so it can't be as terrible as it is.

BRJurgis fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 10, 2024

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

You could analyze the actual reporting instead of making up what you think it would look like you know. The tone has been shifted since October and November when everyone was stumbling over themselves to mention that the Gazan health ministry is "Hamas Run". The media is definitely still being soft in Israel and it's sickening that it took this long for it to even get here but you're vastly overstating where it is now.

Here's CNN's article:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/10/middleeast/hind-rajab-death-israel-gaza-intl/index.html posted:

On January 29, Hind Rajab had been traveling in a car with her uncle, his wife and their four children, fleeing fighting in northern Gaza, when they came under Israeli fire, according to the Palestine Red Crescent Society (PRCS).

“The child [Hind Rajab] and everyone in the car were found killed by the Israeli Army near the Fares petrol station in the Tal Al-Hawa area, southwest of Gaza City, after about two weeks of her unknown fate due to the Israeli military operation in the area,” according to Khader Al Za’anoun, a Palestinian journalist working for CNN who spoke to the child’s grandfather.

The PRCS also confirmed the death of two ambulance workers dispatched to rescue the girl.

“The occupation deliberately targeted the Red Crescent crew despite obtaining prior coordination to allow the ambulance to reach the location to rescue the girl Hind,” read the statement.

Soon after the incident, CNN gave the Israeli military details about the incident last Friday, including coordinates provided by the Palestine Red Crescent Society. In response, the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) said it was “unfamiliar with the incident described.”

When contacted again by CNN, the IDF said they were “still looking into it.”

Hind’s cousin, 15-year-old Layan Hamadeh, made a desperate call for help to emergency services that was recorded by the PRCS and shared on social media. Audio of gunshots heard during the call revealed that Hamadeh was killed while making the call.

“They are shooting at us. The tank is right next to me. We’re in the car, the tank is right next to us,” Layan screams, amid intense gunfire in the background.

Layan then goes quiet, and the rounds of fire stop.

The paramedic on the phone tries to speak to her, repeatedly saying, “Hello? Hello?” but there is no response.

Alone, terrified and trapped in the car with the bodies of her relatives around her, Hind made a desperate call for help.

“Come take me. Will you come and take me? I’m so scared, please come!” Hind can be heard saying in a recording of the call to responders, released by the PRCS.

Hind’s mother Wissam Hamada said her daughter dreamed of becoming a doctor.

On Friday, she told CNN she was “waiting for her every second. I wish for her all the best, like any mother wishes for her daughter the best things and the nicest things in the world.”

The Washington Post had pretty detailed coverage of the event before they found the scene:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2024/02/02/gaza-city-rescue-palestine-red-crescent/

It's a little more wishy washy but less was known at that point.

Weirdly they have not reported on the new details.

The NYTimes article doesn't include the horrifying quotes but they've stopped referring to the Gazan health ministry as "Hamas run" and pretty neutrally refer to 7 Oct compared to earlier reporting. The description of Israel's targeting of aid workers is not exactly what I would describe as passive either.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/10/world/middleeast/hind-rajab-gaza.html posted:

A 6-year-old Palestinian girl and the two rescuers who went looking for her nearly two weeks ago were found dead on Saturday, the Palestine Red Crescent said, ending a desperate effort to discover their fates.

Two rescuers with the Red Crescent were dispatched in an ambulance on the evening of Jan. 29 to find Hind Rajab, who was believed to be trapped in a vehicle in Gaza City with six dead family members. The aid group said they had been killed by Israeli fire.

A Red Crescent statement on Saturday accused Israeli forces of bombing the ambulance as it arrived “just meters away from the vehicle containing the trapped child Hind,” and killing the two rescuers inside. It said this happened “despite prior coordination” between the Red Crescent and the Israeli military.

The Red Crescent shared an image of the charred and nearly unrecognizable ambulance on social media.

Neither the Red Crescent nor Hind’s family members who were in the area around the time the ambulance arrived on Jan. 29 reported any fighting between Israeli forces and armed Palestinians there, though this could not be independently verified.

The Israeli military did not immediately reply to a request for comment on the Red Crescent’s allegations. The military said last week that it was not aware of the incident.

A spokeswoman for the Red Crescent said that the girl’s family had discovered the bodies of their relatives and the ambulance crew. It was not immediately clear how Hind died.

The Red Cross had issued a series of desperate posts since the rescuers went missing, trying to draw attention to the harrowing situation.

The search was hampered by the ongoing presence of Israeli forces in the area, making it too dangerous to send more rescuers to the scene, according to the Red Crescent.

Israel’s aerial bombardment and ground invasion of Gaza has left more than 27,000 people in Gaza dead in the past four months, according to health authorities in the territory. More than 12,000 of the dead are children, according to Gazan authorities.

The U.N. agency for children, Unicef, said on Friday that more than 600,000 children and their families have been displaced to the southern Gaza city of Rafah.

Israel’s war in Gaza began after Hamas staged a cross-border attack on Israel which Israeli authorities said killed about 1,200 people.

The two ambulance team members, Yousef Zeino and Ahmed al-Madhoun, were sent after a Red Crescent dispatcher spent three hours on the phone trying to console Hind as she was trapped in the car.

The Red Crescent said it had coordinated the movements of the ambulance with the Israeli military. Similar coordination is done by other aid organizations operating in Gaza, including U.N. agencies.

Reuters basically has the same article structure and tone as CNN:

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/body-gaza-girl-ambulance-team-trapped-under-israeli-fire-found-after-12-days-2024-02-10/

The grauniad's reporting leads with the emotional quotes and doesn't mince words:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/feb/10/im-so-scared-please-come-hind-rajab-six-found-dead-in-gaza-12-days-after-cry-for-help

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Fair enough my bad. I'll admit that aside from this thread and generally listening to NPR, I've stopped seeking out coverage of the conflict. Unsustainably enraging.

I'm glad of the seeming shift in tone, although I won't forget the prolonged initial response. Nor could I say my anecdotal subjects are ready to condemn the actions of Israel and the US, having been programmed so.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

BRJurgis posted:

Fair enough my bad. I'll admit that aside from this thread and generally listening to NPR, I've stopped seeking out coverage of the conflict. Unsustainably enraging.

I'm glad of the seeming shift in tone, although I won't forget the prolonged initial response. Nor could I say my anecdotal subjects are ready to condemn the actions of Israel and the US, having been programmed so.

Yeah that makes sense and I appreciate this reply. It's been an absolute morass and to stare too long at the reporting only saps the energy required to get out and participate in actions which are hopefully changing some minds imo.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
https://twitter.com/leftiblog/status/1756398055358877875

I know this sort of thing shouldn’t shock me at this point, but how is someone able to do the equivalent of denying the Holocaust on air and remain employed?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Nucleic Acids posted:

I know this sort of thing shouldn’t shock me at this point, but how is someone able to do the equivalent of denying the Holocaust on air and remain employed?

It's debated! The fact that one side has no reasonable case doesn't change that fact.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Kagrenak posted:

Yeah that makes sense and I appreciate this reply. It's been an absolute morass and to stare too long at the reporting only saps the energy required to get out and participate in actions which are hopefully changing some minds imo.

For my part, the only personal interaction I feel I have with changing or improving any of this is trying to talk to people about it, and out in real life I've all but given up on this subject.

I'm privileged enough to be able to broach climate change and patriotism and capitalism with people, even if they won't be swayed at least other people may participate or listen. I've never had to disengage as a near rule. But Israel Palestine seems impossible. If they don't flat out refuse to discuss it, people will become so upset as to loudly leave, angry enough as to not be reachable (and endanger further discussion), or say something you'll want to (yet won't be able to) forget. These aren't mutually exclusive.

In fact, (and I can't stress enough how I don't want to arm zionist rhetoric), of the relatively few people who don't fall into the other camps, several of the remaining have insisted on bringing up "jews owning the media/banks".

It just seems absolutely intractably hosed. It's Israel's perverse anti-semite dome, but worse still. We shouldn't and can't just not face it, though. How could that ever work?

I don't have any polling or articles, but my experience with not being able to discuss this with so many is a first in my adult lifetime.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Nucleic Acids posted:

those villagers chose to leave the houses we set fire to, thats on them.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Honestly here in the West we just kind of pretend that Israel just kind of appeared and that there was no real violence involved

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Yeah, the propaganda is strong. I always heard "The day Israel declared independence, the Arab states invaded." Even as someone who has been anti-israel for 20 years and kept up with the news and all their abuses, I believed that. I figured it was true but didn't justify anything 70 years later.

But this year I found out that it's just another of their loving lies! The Arab states never invaded Israel! They entered Palestine. Where Israel already had forces. Israel had already invaded Palestine.

I honestly don't know if I learned a single true thing about Israel growing up.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Everyone left to avoid the war thinking Israel would get smoked, and whoopsie they won. Too bad about your houses but you sided with team arab

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

FlamingLiberal posted:

Honestly here in the West we just kind of pretend that Israel just kind of appeared and that there was no real violence involved

There are youtube interviews with various paramilitary participants in the founding of Israel, or at least there was when I wrote a paper on the topic back in 2015/2016. The people they talk to describe wholesale genocide without batting an eye about it. The whole thing is absolutely repellant.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Grip it and rip it posted:

There are youtube interviews with various paramilitary participants in the founding of Israel, or at least there was when I wrote a paper on the topic back in 2015/2016. The people they talk to describe wholesale genocide without batting an eye about it. The whole thing is absolutely repellant.
Yeah that's the thing...the people involved had no remorse whatsoever, and it's not like it's some open secret, but in the general process of making Israel into the legend of 'the most moral country in the Middle East', that had to go out the window in the narrative. Clearly nobody was actually living in that part of the world when we had to find a place for a Jewish state post-WWII.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Jimbozig posted:

Yeah, the propaganda is strong. I always heard "The day Israel declared independence, the Arab states invaded." Even as someone who has been anti-israel for 20 years and kept up with the news and all their abuses, I believed that. I figured it was true but didn't justify anything 70 years later.

But this year I found out that it's just another of their loving lies! The Arab states never invaded Israel! They entered Palestine. Where Israel already had forces. Israel had already invaded Palestine.

I honestly don't know if I learned a single true thing about Israel growing up.

Really? Do you have a link for this? I’m in the same boat, except for the learning about it this year thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

MickeyFinn posted:

Really? Do you have a link for this? I’m in the same boat, except for the learning about it this year thing.

It's one of the most commonly-spouted beliefs. Variations of "As soon as Israel declared independence it was invaded unprovoked by six Arab armies bent on throwing Jews into the sea".

See eg:

https://history.state.gov/milestone...2014%2C%201948.

(no mention of Nakba, refugees etc)

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/arab-armies-invade-may-1948

(No mention of Nakba, refugees etc but also a good example of common framing: aggressive, violent, bloodthirsty megatech Arabs invaded poor little Israel)

This stuff was super common even just a decade ago. I think now the Nakba is actually much more prevalent in consciousness. So eg that soft Nakba denial MSNBC bit is actually a substantial improvement to "WHO KNOWS WHY PALESTINIANS ARE SO UPPITY *shrugs*" positions from the 2000s.

E: oh, wait a sec, I misread your post. You're probably more interested about the war.

'The Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine' by Ilan Pappe is a good, accessible read.

'The Hundred Years' War on Palestine' by Nur Masalha is great.

Hong XiuQuan fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Feb 11, 2024