Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Lmao. I figured he'd be driving but he's flying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

LPC deciding to adopt the Hillary campaign seems like it will end well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SLF1Yb0bBQ

I said it before and I’ll say it again: read the Succ thread for a peak into our future

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Frosted Flake posted:

LPC deciding to adopt the Hillary campaign seems like it will end well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SLF1Yb0bBQ

Yeah, we're hosed lol

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Saalkin posted:

Lmao. I figured he'd be driving but he's flying

I assumed they meant flying in on Monday and sleeping in the library, then flying back on Friday. Nope. The math checks out, since he's got free rent with his parents.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

that's even with the insane flight prices in Canada too

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

a primate posted:

I said it before and I’ll say it again: read the Succ thread for a peak into our future

500 posts per day of "and nothing changed" was too rage inducing for me :(

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Karach posted:

Hey. Jesse here. We've heard a lot lately about how former NDP cabinet minister Selina Robinson was forced to resign over her supposedly "inflammatory" comments about how what is now Israeli territory was a "crappy piece of land" before Jewish settlers got there. About how she was insensitive, off base, racist, a genocide-supporting monster, and so on. A lot of hate has been directed her way.

But, what if, (and hear me out here), she was right? What if that land was actually really crappy, an empty wasteland, before settlers learned to make the desert bloom?

Our guest today, an Israeli journalist, thinks this might be the case. He's best known for his book "Flowers from Ashes: Israel after 1948." We'll ask him why he thinks Selina Robinson just. might. be. right.

Wait for it.

Holy poo poo

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Nice I'm gonna take over any home with a grass lawn and plant a garden instead.

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

Cold on a Cob posted:

update: the price they offered to sell to me was way too high for a tenanted unit.

i'm going to let them try to sell their tenanted unit on the open market. if they don't offer me a good n11 deal up front i'm going to tell every single potential buyer viewing the unit to make sure they ask for vacant possession in the purchase offer while letting that cbc story about the 1 year LTB backlog play on all the tvs/monitors in my apartment :sickos:

cspam give me your energy

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ gently caress DA LANDLORD ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lol Jesse Brown's most recent tweets are running defense for Robinson. Yet another Massive L for podcast listeners

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

DaysBefore posted:

Lol Jesse Brown's most recent tweets are running defense for Robinson. Yet another Massive L for podcast listeners

lol called it

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Post them twits. Nitter is broken and I'm not getting an account

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

https://x.com/JesseBrown/status/1755069888597512539?s=20

Witchunt aka people calling the insanely racist MLA an insane racist. Whoever Avi Lewis is is speaking in reference to people tagging up her constituent office with vile filth like 'Free Palestine' or 'We Don't Accept Your Apology'

https://twitter.com/JesseBrown/status/1755373908885131325

Yeah there;s no way the head of post-secondary education, who was already retweeting calls for professors to be fired because they dared to say 'turning Gaza into a series of parking lots and mass graves', would play dirty behind the scenes to get people fired

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Karach, you should get an account just to reply him with your monologue haha

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

He's probably doing it to get 35k status and free checked bags

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

DaysBefore posted:

https://x.com/JesseBrown/status/1755069888597512539?s=20

Witchunt aka people calling the insanely racist MLA an insane racist. Whoever Avi Lewis is is speaking in reference to people tagging up her constituent office with vile filth like 'Free Palestine' or 'We Don't Accept Your Apology'

https://twitter.com/JesseBrown/status/1755373908885131325

Yeah there;s no way the head of post-secondary education, who was already retweeting calls for professors to be fired because they dared to say 'turning Gaza into a series of parking lots and mass graves', would play dirty behind the scenes to get people fired

Avi Lewis is Naomi Klein's husband. He's a documentary maker in his own right. They tried to push through their weird quasi anarchist Leap Manifesto with federal NDP and got owned, iirc.

Anyway, it looks like Lewis is in the right on this one. When it comes to Israel, as long as you're standing opposite Jesse Brown, you're probably right.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Think they're both wrong here since Lewis is calling sidewalk chalk that says 'Free Palestine' childish and gross. Also don't care though mostly just laughing at the latest podcast superstar turning out to be insanely fail

Anyway read a cool article about Cape Breton University which put into context just how exploitative the universities are being with international students. But our badass government decided to only really penalise the students since most of the schools will be fine after they jack up tuition even more on the students they are allowed to take in. Meanwhile the scumbag souless landlords and sleazy lying recruiters and bloated overpaid admin staffs and useless redundant vice deans will get off scot free. Nice

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Karach posted:

The backbench is still useful, as is commons. Occasionally there is some good stuff on the main feed, at least when Jesse isn't hosting. But I can't stand listening to Jesse now. His fundamental dishonesty in how he approaches his subject matter makes me question everything the network puts out now.

Commons killed off the tiny remaining interest I still had in hockey, so I will always appreciate them from that. Arshy seems pretty cool. Maybe they can do a series on how Jesse sucks.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

DaysBefore posted:

Think they're both wrong here since Lewis is calling sidewalk chalk that says 'Free Palestine' childish and gross. Also don't care though mostly just laughing at the latest podcast superstar turning out to be insanely fail

You're right, I read your post and the tweet too quickly. What Lewis is saying is more in line with Klein's left-shaming in the wake of Oct 7th.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/oct/11/why-are-some-of-the-left-celebrating-the-killings-of-israeli-jews

quote:

So how do we confront this violent ideology? For one thing, we can recognize that when Israeli Jews are killed in their homes and it is celebrated by people who claim to be anti-racists and anti-fascists, that is experienced as antisemitism by a great many Jews. And antisemitism (besides being hateful) is the rocket fuel of militant Zionism.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
got a mailer for the canada dental keikaku so decided to check it out. the fee schedule isnt out yet but it states plainly that it might not match provinces' fees and that any difference must be paid out of pocket. also it's being administered by sun life. no mention at all that anyone not a child or senior will be covered.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
they won't be, for a while still, i think.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

in retrospect I'm an idiot for thinking the liberals wouldn't just contract it out but

gently caress's sake. sun life?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

pokeyman posted:

in retrospect I'm an idiot for thinking the liberals wouldn't just contract it out but

gently caress's sake. sun life?

the least surprising part of it lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
2024: no pharmacare, no dental care, no mulcair

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lmfao Sun Life. That makes sense

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

yellowcar posted:

the least surprising part of it lol

I guess I thought the ndp would insist on it being public? again, I am a clown

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

pokeyman posted:

I guess I thought the ndp would insist on it being public? again, I am a clown

the 'p' now stands for 'public-private partnerships'

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yellowcar posted:

the 'p' now stands for 'public-private partnerships'

that's like three times the P

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The P stands for Pay Your Rent

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Someday we'll be build a society where we all truly Mulcair about one another

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
why do we have this multibillion bureaucracy that cant process dental bills

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

it's not that they can't it's that there needs to be someone in the private sector to wet their beak

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
this isn't specifically Canadian but it gets to the heart of the matter here and cuts clearly through any obfuscation that this whole conflict playing out in real time in palestine but throughout civil socities in the west. the London Review of books was going to run a talk about I-P featuring Pankaj Mishra, a guy who I don't always agree with but is so well read I always read what he writes, which was obviously cancelled because it discussed the genocide in Gaza and the memory of the Holocaust. the key part for me is here:

quote:

Dr Toby Simpson, the director of the Wiener Holocaust Library, said the Barbican’s decision not to host the talk was not necessarily a sign of panic. He said: “There has always been a need for sensitivity when dealing with the Holocaust, due to its unprecedented scale, complexity and shocking inhumanity.

“Cultural institutions have a right to expect that speakers are sensitive to racism. This is increasingly the case, which is a good thing.”

Simpson said there was a widespread failure to acknowledge antisemitism and its legacies today, especially on the left of the political spectrum, and that was “likely to have played a role in the Barbican’s decision”.

we have a re-energized right, openly celebrating white supremacy with sitting politicians questioning the holocaust, disseminating conspiracies about jews, but no it's the left that's engaged in Deep Antisemitism. that's the problem in modern society. a white nationalist can shoot up a synagogue, you can have people walking down a street shouting "jews will not replace us" but nah a bunch of people who have no grasp on any sort of real power in this country are the problem. whatever you do you must discipline the left in case anyone gets a bright idea and decides to demand more from our politics and not support the policies of a monstrous government driven by ethnonationalist dreams.

I know this isn't a surprise to anyone but i gotta post through my impotent rage here.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

hadji murad posted:

Commons killed off the tiny remaining interest I still had in hockey, so I will always appreciate them from that. Arshy seems pretty cool. Maybe they can do a series on how Jesse sucks.

I'm down for a Commons deep-dive on controversial media baron Jesse Brown. I'd like to know some more about his pre-Canadaland history, and about his activities outside of Canadaland.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yellowcar posted:

it's not that they can't it's that there needs to be someone in the private sector to wet their beak

think of all the value we'd be leaving on the table!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Dreylad posted:

I know this isn't a surprise to anyone but i gotta post through my impotent rage here.

preach it!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

yellowcar posted:

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
The settlers who colonized land close to the border in a bid to be used as pawns for expansionist thinking are innocent!
well their kids are I guess if there was any...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The NDP will shake their fists and threaten to pull out from the supply & confidence agreement like they've done every single time the feds have failed to meet the promises they sold to the dippers, and like every other time the ndp will quietly drop their voices and go sulk because they're bankrupt and can't survive a snap election that could happen if they pull support. So no pharmacare, no dental care and a rollout timeline that conveniently dovetails into campaign promoses territory where the feds can abandon their partnership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

weird, you'd think if it were that predictable someone would have predicted it.

oh well