Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Improbable Lobster posted:

that sort of ignorance is so infuriating
“you were conquered long ago for being primitive and against the modern belief of the time, so gently caress off” says group being primitive and against the modern belief of the time, who should gently caress off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

PokeJoe posted:

i see plenty of them in Seattle. theres a restaurant space right next to me downtown that has been vacant for 7 years

right, i guess i was only thinking of residential spaces. i totally agree that there should be some kind of reform to force commercial landlords to lower prices enough to get something in, there's plenty of vacant retail space

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Starting to cotton to the idea that the cruelty to unhomed people is all on purpose, specifically to remind us that we should be happy with $15/hr.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

Starting to cotton to the idea that the cruelty to unhomed people is all on purpose, specifically to remind us that we should be happy with $15/hr.

imo liberalism requires a perennial underclass to exist as both a warning and as expendable labour

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Truman Peyote posted:

right, i guess i was only thinking of residential spaces. i totally agree that there should be some kind of reform to force commercial landlords to lower prices enough to get something in, there's plenty of vacant retail space

Capitalism efficiently allocates resources.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

skooma512 posted:

Capitalism efficiently allocates resources.

people who own capital can hold this idea and "it's my property, I can do what I want with it" simultaneously without dissonance because they are rational actors who always make the best moves

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

idk man it's been a long time since i have seen even the most self-conscious capitalists arguing that it distributes resources efficiently. all anyone gives a poo poo about is how efficiently capital is distributed between their own pockets

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Truman Peyote posted:

idk man it's been a long time since i have seen even the most self-conscious capitalists arguing that it distributes resources efficiently. all anyone gives a poo poo about is how efficiently capital is distributed between their own pockets

i got something between my pockets ready to distribute something efficiently buddy :q:

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Internet Old One posted:

I lived in a city with this exact thing going on. There were a confluence of things feeding into the crisis but the one that nobody talked about was that lock up unceremoniously discharged people right onto the sidewalk across the street from a park used solely by homeless people… also adjacent to the courthouse.

People would get out, mill about the park for awhile and then commit assaults or other crimes and go back into lock up.

theres a similar thing going on in my city. our court house services a gigantic geographical area. they get out of prison with no money and no easy way to leave, as we’re a bit isolated, like an island surrounded by trees, and affordable transit like greyhound no longer operates. you could hitchhike but doing so on the highway of tears is obviously not the best idea. of course our winters can be pretty harsh too, and our city is pretty rough by Canadian standards, so recidivism to escape the elements is definitely a thing that happens

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Truman Peyote posted:

this feels related to the anti-homeless stuff you folks are always posting from the states: BC lawyers' group calls for Vancouver courthouse to be moved out of downtown following attack

Basically, there's a courthouse in the Downtown Eastside, Canada's poorest neighborhood. The DTES is basically a ghetto where addicts, the homeless, and the mentally ill are shoveled, but it is also where all of the services for those people are concentrated, including legal services at the courthouse. But a prosecutor got attacked in an unspecified way outside of it, so now the prosecutors' association is insisting that the courthouse should be moved somewhere that, presumably, would remove the necessity for his lawyers to ever see a homeless person outside of a courtroom.

moving to the west and experiencing DTES first hand, along with the rest of the cities contempt of the poor, is eye opening. it would have radicalized me if I weren’t already, you can feel the violence of class warfare most palpably here

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

15 an hour is no longer enough to get by. the fight for fifteen has been going on so long now it needs to be the fight for 30. but realistically the number picked doesn’t matter, living wages aren’t going to be a thing.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Kenny Logins posted:

“you were conquered long ago for being primitive and against the modern belief of the time, so gently caress off” says group being primitive and against the modern belief of the time, who should gently caress off

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

moonshine is...... posted:

15 an hour is no longer enough to get by. the fight for fifteen has been going on so long now it needs to be the fight for 30. but realistically the number picked doesn’t matter, living wages aren’t going to be a thing.

It's not enough and they still won't give it to us, yeah.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

fight for $15 was a big deal over 10 years ago lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

PokeJoe posted:

fight for $15 was a big deal over 10 years ago lol

has anything happened to make $15 no longer relevant?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

not that i remember

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i made less than $15/hr when it was first a thing. now i make $0/hr. im fighting for my 15

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

fart simpson posted:

has anything happened to make $15 no longer relevant?

yeah:

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Consumer Spending, the big line showing an obviously decreasing trend, has remained hot.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

thank god for rising wages!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

tk posted:

Consumer Spending, the big line showing an obviously decreasing trend, has remained hot.

thats spending growth though so yeah theyre happy

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Agile Vector posted:

that and, if brexit plays its cards right, irish unification :getin:

i mean. did we discuss that sinn fein now controls the first ministership in ni lol

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
On my way home and the benches in 30th Street Station are some of the worst I have experienced in my life holy poo poo

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
in funny hellworld news, the state supreme court of hawaii has given a full double bird to the scotus re: the right to keep and bear arms.

https://www.courts.state.hi.us/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/SCAP-22-0000561.pdf

it includes great quotes like:

quote:

As the world turns, it makes no sense for contemporary society to pledge allegiance to the founding era’s culture, realities, laws, and understanding of the Constitution. “The thing about the old days, they the old days.” The Wire: Home Rooms (HBO television broadcast Sept. 24, 2006) (Season Four, Episode Three).

and

quote:

The spirit of Aloha clashes with a federally-mandated lifestyle that lets citizens walk around with deadly weapons during day-to-day activities.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 8, 2024

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

that url is for a lawsuit in Texas of Elon vs media matters, unless I’m missing something

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
oops posted the wrong one just a moment.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
ok the right link is there now.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hahah holy poo poo

* zipline operator
* waved a black rifle at trespassers
* had a .22 tucked into his pants aimed at his dick and balls

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
don’t kinkshame

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
https://twitter.com/LaurenKGurley/status/1755264463828144206

i'm sure that will dissuade others from doing the same

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

graph posted:

https://twitter.com/LaurenKGurley/status/1755264463828144206

i'm sure that will dissuade others from doing the same

I've never been in a popeye's that wasn't absolutely disgusting.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
popeye more like browneye

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

akadajet posted:

the grosser it is, the better the chicken is

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

akadajet posted:

the one in the hong kong airport is pretty nice. it's just past THE LOST CITY OF SNACKS

fake edit: I just checked and while the popeye's is still there lost city of snacks is gone. rip

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

not gone... just lost

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

it’s awol

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
too many people could find it so it moved on

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Pythagoras a trois posted:

too many people could find it so it moved on

is that what she told you?

020824_4
Feb 9, 2024

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

020824_4