Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I prefer a one manga thread considering how sporadic releases are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I gotta ask, is there much of a reason to keep up with the ONE version of One Punch Man these days? They used to be very similar in story beats with the occasional differences in expanded content, but sometime during the Monster Association arc the narrative started becoming truly divergent, with things like major plot points and character reveals appearing in the Murata adaptation over the ONE version. Now it feels like a very, very loose adaptation where the entire structure of a story arc is reworked from the ground up; hell, the one right now is already taking different beats entirely.

It's not a bad thing per se, but it makes me feel like I'd be better off omitting the ONE version entirely so I don't subconsciously judge the Murata one for not following closely enough to the base version.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Versus only comes out like once a month, It'd probably just fall into the back pages and everyone would forget about it and start posting here again

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

yeah, versus chat doesn't really seem like it's distracting from regular conversation about OPM. i'm not really feelin' versus, myself. i might come back to it a bit later when the story gets a little less nihilisticly hopeless.

also, if you're not really feeling the ONE version of OPM, you don't have to read it. i definitely prefer murata's art, but i keep reading the webcomic because i still enjoy getting new OPM content.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm very much of the 'oh boy, two cakes!' mindset when it comes to OPM. I don't know if I should see it as like, the storyboard to the next part or what but I do enjoy getting new info regardless of who's doing it. It feels something like that. I just enjoy having 'Find out next time on One Punch Man!' style previews.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

^^ Same

Except

White Light posted:

It's not a bad thing per se, but it makes me feel like I'd be better off omitting the ONE version entirely so I don't subconsciously judge the Murata one for not following closely enough to the base version.

I judge the murata version on not going far enough considering what it changed and it has course corrected back to things that make little sense considering what has changed.

The manga version has stopped being an adaptation and I hate it when it is the same. Especially when they redo jokes and gags that just dont work with the mangas style of delivery.

Also bring back saitama scolding garou across a table that was great

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 31, 2024

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

We have webcomic and Mob threads, this was never a generic ONE thread. I'm not going to lose any sleep about this, it's just mildly annoying when people continually bump a topic-specific thread about something other than that topic. This is the last time I'll post about it. I'll go back to waiting for Metal Bat to do something cool.

Sally posted:

bees the change you want to see in the world

I'm not going to make a thread about something I don't read.

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 31, 2024

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
hey fluff, can you make the thread?

:pray:

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I bet there are some posters who read Versus but not OPM who are confused why there's no thread to talk about Versus. If they didn't think to look in this thread when you happened to talk about Versus, they'd never find where to talk about it. I guess at that point, they may make a thread, but I also think it just makes sense to make a separate thread. Or update the title at least. There are also people who may want to read Versus but not right now. I haven't read any Versus, but now I've already had a lot of the plot spoiled.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Sally posted:

hey fluff, can you make the thread?

:pray:

I don't read Versus, but if someone doesn't by tonight I will put one together

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

White Light posted:

I gotta ask, is there much of a reason to keep up with the ONE version of One Punch Man these days? They used to be very similar in story beats with the occasional differences in expanded content, but sometime during the Monster Association arc the narrative started becoming truly divergent, with things like major plot points and character reveals appearing in the Murata adaptation over the ONE version. Now it feels like a very, very loose adaptation where the entire structure of a story arc is reworked from the ground up; hell, the one right now is already taking different beats entirely.

Just my opinion, but I’m actually finding myself more hyped for the webcomic recently than the manga, just given the fact that we’re now in the equivalent of “Hero Association goes to war on the Monster Association” phase of the new arc.

It’s a bit strange in that the story diverged a lot by the end of the Garou saga, but many recent manga chapters have been almost frame for frame remakes. I’m totally in agreement that I’m in that camp that truly appreciates having two versions that have their own style and vision. Sometimes I like webcomic scenes more and most of the time I prefer the manga’s version. But I don’t judge them against each other.

I DO think, though, that ONE uses the webcomic as a “first draft” that he can later improve upon for many story elements. (And can then improve AGAIN in later redraws!)

EDIT: Probably also worth clarifying, because this is often misunderstood, but Murata doesn't write the manga. ONE still does all the writing and storyboards

Bucswabe fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 31, 2024

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

RareAcumen posted:

I'm very much of the 'oh boy, two cakes!' mindset when it comes to OPM. I don't know if I should see it as like, the storyboard to the next part or what but I do enjoy getting new info regardless of who's doing it. It feels something like that. I just enjoy having 'Find out next time on One Punch Man!' style previews.

Pretty much.
And that (in my personal, humble opinion) those divergences make Murata adaptation worse if still quite good.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

White Light posted:

Isn't being a looser adaptation more of a reason to read both?

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Nah not really TBH, I just wanted to see the same storyline but with souped up art, that was the bedrock foundation concept they started the manga on after all :shrug:

I'm hitting the point where I stopped keeping pace with where the ONE manga was at, I think I'd rather go into the unexplored story content blind than deal with all those inconsistencies so I don't keep comparing it to the 'original' when the original is no longer the foundation it started out as. He's a great writer but his art just isn't my bag, I'd rather have Murata's dynamic artwork instead.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

ONE's art is dynamic. I think he does (or did) the breakdowns and paneling for the Murata comic even.

It's his anatomy and stylization that is... let's say unique.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Shadow0 posted:

I bet there are some posters who read Versus but not OPM who are confused why there's no thread to talk about Versus. If they didn't think to look in this thread when you happened to talk about Versus, they'd never find where to talk about it. I guess at that point, they may make a thread, but I also think it just makes sense to make a separate thread. Or update the title at least. There are also people who may want to read Versus but not right now. I haven't read any Versus, but now I've already had a lot of the plot spoiled.

Is the forums search bar a premium upgrade or something? I feel like it's pretty easy to just use that or ask in the chat thread if theoretically someone wanted to talk about it but couldn't find a thread.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

oh jay posted:

ONE's art is dynamic. I think he does (or did) the breakdowns and paneling for the Murata comic even.

It's his anatomy and stylization that is... let's say unique.

He can do cleaner work, we've seen it with MP100

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Fluffdaddy posted:

I don't read Versus, but if someone doesn't by tonight I will put one together

youre a saint!

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

White Light posted:

Nah not really TBH, I just wanted to see the same storyline but with souped up art, that was the bedrock foundation concept they started the manga on after all :shrug:

I'm hitting the point where I stopped keeping pace with where the ONE manga was at, I think I'd rather go into the unexplored story content blind than deal with all those inconsistencies so I don't keep comparing it to the 'original' when the original is no longer the foundation it started out as. He's a great writer but his art just isn't my bag, I'd rather have Murata's dynamic artwork instead.

🤡

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I dont mind Versus chat but it always makes me think theres a new OPM chapter when I see 30 new replies which then makes me sad.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
if you actually make a versus thread I can guarantee you it will die immediately. I don't think a monthly release manga not based on an already-existing IP has enough meat on the bones to sustain a thread

I don't mind if versus stuff stays here. I like ONE so having a one-stop shop thread for all his stuff is a big convenience for me

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

CharlestonJew posted:

if you actually make a versus thread I can guarantee you it will die immediately. I don't think a monthly release manga not based on an already-existing IP has enough meat on the bones to sustain a thread

I don't mind if versus stuff stays here. I like ONE so having a one-stop shop thread for all his stuff is a big convenience for me

Agreed. I don't mind Versus being here since it just shows up once in a while and it's convenient.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

I dont mind Versus chat but it always makes me think theres a new OPM chapter when I see 30 new replies which then makes me sad.

To temper expectations, new OPM manga chapters are very consistent with release dates. Always on a Wednesday (for North America) and always every 2 weeks unless/ONE/Murata skip a week or two.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
versus seems like something that would just get mentioned in the shounen catchall thread so i don't mind it living here. There's no way it's worth it's own thread right now

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I find Versus discussion a little bonus to any OPM content in this thread. Its usually "Oh yeah, it exists!" and I get to read it. I don't know if its big enough to warrant its own thread.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Bucswabe posted:

To temper expectations, new OPM manga chapters are very consistent with release dates. Always on a Wednesday (for North America) and always every 2 weeks unless/ONE/Murata skip a week or two.

If I see Pik D post I am at peace.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
There have probably been fewer total Versus posts in this thread than posts about Magneto/iron blood from X-Men 2 after the last chapter.

(I’m here for all of it!)

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4053318

There. Its not much because I don't read it, but go nuts.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Glad there's a separate thread for versus, I think it's really good and deserves it's own thread.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Raws up: https://tonarinoyj.jp/episode/11341664176591995253

Edit: :staredog:

pik_d fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 7, 2024

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Translation: https://cubari.moe/read/imgur/qgZT5Iw/1/1/

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Whoa

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Flash is now best boy. Sonic does not deserve him.

Placeholder
Sep 24, 2008
Pretty cool that Flashy Flashs greatest fear is apparently Saitamas fists, as seen on page 14.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Flash is now best boy. Sonic does not deserve him.

Sonic will absolutely do something dumb that will break the illusion, making him worthy of Flash. :colbert:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Really enjoying these changes

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Jerkface posted:

Really enjoying these changes

Hard agree.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Vold holding back from putting a mind whammy on Sonic because he's worried about triggering the monster cell he ate is funny to me because it makes me remember the gag where Sonic got a monster cell but inadvertently rendered it inactive by cooking it first.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

Vold holding back from putting a mind whammy on Sonic because he's worried about triggering the monster cell he ate is funny to me because it makes me remember the gag where Sonic got a monster cell but inadvertently rendered it inactive by cooking it first.

Just amazing if cooking and eating the cell makes him a permanent anti-monster!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Man, that shot showing Sonic's corruption on the side facing away from Flash was fantastic.