Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

When I have some free time after the next week I plan on watching it. I have no idea what's actually in it.

To be fair, they did accidentally (or maybe ..) predict 9/11. Which made the whole thing really weird for me in college.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Ithle01 posted:

When I have some free time after the next week I plan on watching it. I have no idea what's actually in it.

To be fair, they did accidentally (or maybe ..) predict 9/11. Which made the whole thing really weird for me in college.

It was still canceled a few months beforehand, viewership just dropped off a lot from the beginning. I remember watching it a few times, the tone was just off. Part of me would like a dark, conspiracy-based show but on the other hand politics have gotten so bizarre the last few years I'm not sure I'd enjoy it very much anymore. A good Millennium reboot, though ...

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

tetrapyloctomy posted:

It was still canceled a few months beforehand, viewership just dropped off a lot from the beginning. I remember watching it a few times, the tone was just off. Part of me would like a dark, conspiracy-based show but on the other hand politics have gotten so bizarre the last few years I'm not sure I'd enjoy it very much anymore. A good Millennium reboot, though ...

I remember Lone Gunmen being pretty bad too. Millenium was also a show that sounded like it had a great premise that I got excited for, but I remember just being really bored by half the episodes when I saw it. Then again I was in high school and really just wanted to see more of Gillian Anderson and monster of the week weirdness.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Did people at the time think the killer reveal in season one was pretty stupid? He’s not a really great or interesting element compared to the rest, imo.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I AM GRANDO posted:

Did people at the time think the killer reveal in season one was pretty stupid? He’s not a really great or interesting element compared to the rest, imo.

It's the weakest part of the season for sure. It all makes perfect sense thematically and plot-wise but the shift in the last episode is awkward and the barrage of "a ha" clues with the green paint and old lady whose house was painted is pretty weak.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Millenium also has a weird kind of tonal change in s2. It’s more… I don’t ever want to call a show like this “light-hearted”… but more in that direction. A few jokes, Frank is not quite as serious and deadpan 100% of the time.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
People were definitely sour on the finale and reveal.

I personally was on the edge of my seat during the whole trip through “carcosa” but that did not seem to be the prevailing feeling in the thread afterward.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

TheBizzness posted:

People were definitely sour on the finale and reveal.

I personally was on the edge of my seat during the whole trip through “carcosa” but that did not seem to be the prevailing feeling in the thread afterward.

The episode itself is pretty good, the final showdown is great. I think a lot of people wanted some reveal like the preacher or state senator Tuttle was the killer, but how it's presented is way more realistic. The elite perverts that rule the world need bagmen like lawnmower guy to do their dirty work and sweep the floors at Carcosa, they just show up to do the hosed up abuse and rituals.

The cover-up was still very real, but by the time the show ends a lot of the old Carcosa pedophile/murderer network had fallen apart.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I AM GRANDO posted:

Pretty sure a goon called it when he first showed up on the lawnmower.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

ruddiger posted:

They did indeed. Something along the lines of “that actor is too big a name to be on this show for 30 seconds”.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

TheBizzness posted:

They did indeed. Something along the lines of “that actor is too big a name to be on this show for 30 seconds”.

This is part of my new theory that the killer in the newest season is Fiona Shaw

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008

ruddiger posted:

I think that goon actually went to IMDB and checked the cast episode ahead of time and decided to spoil the thread if I remember correctly.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Yeah I don't remember the actor from anything other than Boardwalk Empire I don't think he was that significant in that either.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
He had a decent sized roll in Joker

Edit: unless you meant before he was on True Detective, which yeah, it doesn’t look like he had any notable roles, so it’s weird that someone would pick him out as being too big of a star for the minor role

Deadite fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 8, 2024

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Also not killing off rust and have him randomly turn into an optimist was kinda lame

Also you'd think rust would know a thing or two about astronomy seeing how the universe has progressively darker with age

Despera fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 8, 2024

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I’ve tried my best to find the thread from Season 1 but I have failed you all.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

frogbs posted:

This is part of my new theory that the killer in the newest season is Fiona Shaw

Yeah, Marnie just happened to be the one to give Rust Cohle's dad leukemia too. Her fancy job before Alaska was immunology and psyops. I'm totally committing to this theory.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I AM GRANDO posted:

A lot of people were apparently very disappointed that Cthulhu didn't show up to debate philosophy with Cohle but I thought the S1 finale was good and thematically fitting. Childress as the living vessel of darkness beyond human comprehension manifested by many generations of creepy evil poo poo and corrupting degrading violence was very well done.

YMMV though.

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill

Despera posted:

Also not killing off rust and have him randomly turn into an optimist was kinda lame

Also you'd think rust would know a thing or two about astronomy seeing how the universe has progressively darker with age

Nah, this was great. S1 finale was great

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I do wish IMDB would not put episode counts next to actors names until all of the episodes have aired (or even have it toggled off by default). So many times I’ve gone to look up a show I’m currently watching and get a “10 episodes, 10 episodes, 10 episodes, 9 episodes” main cast count and I’m like … welp.

Yes, that’s a me problem, but still.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I solve this problem by never going to IMDB until after I've seen the whole show

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I loved the X-Files wrap-up to Millennium where the Millennium finally arrives and Frank doesn't give a single poo poo, he's just hanging out with his daughter, while Mulder and Scully decide to just make out a little instead of see in the New Year.

My absolute favorite line from Millennium though is at the end of the excellent Jose Chung's Doomsday Defense where Chung notes that he already knows what the coming millennium will bring: "1000 more years of the same old crap" :allears:

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
where do I know this actor from? WHOA SPOILERS MUCH

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007
Question for the showrunner, if this season is so "female" then why is the town called Ennis and not Aginna?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

pig labeled 3 posted:

Question for the showrunner, if this season is so "female" then why is the town called Ennis and not Aginna?

They invert it by being in Ennis, and not letting Ennis get inside them.

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

They invert it by being in Ennis, and not letting Ennis get inside them.

They really inverted my expectations

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

pig labeled 3 posted:

Patriarchy exposed. GOTEM

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

TheBizzness posted:

I’ve tried my best to find the thread from Season 1 but I have failed you all.

I think someone linked to it a few pages back.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3602139
S1

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Piorot818 had it sorted by page 8.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

I AM GRANDO posted:

There's an extent to which it worked, but I recall the general discourse (at least in my bubble) being a blend of disappointment that it wasn't the show we thought we were watching and smug satisfaction about the rage of the legitimately insufferable theorists who'd gone way down the rabbit hole about what was :actually: happening and were so very upset about being so very wrong.

As someone who didn't (doesn't) know much 19th/early 20th century American horror, this season has scratched some of the itch that season 1 (all the the up til the finale) did for me: an overwrought mystery alluding to a mythos I know almost nothing about with a pair or detectives drawn inexorably into conflict by their flaws. I think rewatching S1 before really helped get me in to the right mindset for watching this season, the joy in the journey.

Episode 4 was my favorite so far. I suspect it'll remain so as the season ends. I've seen it getting mocked onlone but the stuffed polar bear scene was amazing work by the story, by Foster, and by Reis.

Leah continues to explore her identity in the precise ways that terrify Liz most, that draw her closer to the fate that Liz can't stop seeing. And even if Liz weren't already inclined down that road, it's not hard to see parts of Leah in Annie or vice versa, in ways that we suspect Liz would be very proud of if she didn't think it was going to get her killed. There are other times we've seen what was apparently the old Liz, before the bullshit, bleed through - communally mourning the lost pregnancy, de-escalating and removing the kid at the beauty salon - but we've just seen the first time Liz has had to drop the bullshit in conflict, drop it when it costs her, and she does it to save her stepdaughter. Her reward is Leah noting she always takes the mine's side (which is fascinating phrasing that's either teenage hyperbole or that there's more unseen history here) and invalidating everything Liz has been clumsily trying to do for years as a parent with "you don't have to pretend anymore" before bouncing out and marking the younger Priors as the closest thing she has to family. It makes sense, she lacks the context to find anything maternal in Liz' constant, poorly communicated disappointment and demands. Liz is entirely unsurprised, she's seen this coming just as well as any viewer but feels equally as powerless to stop it. She stops a beat, but the rear end in a top hat runs on reflex and she can't get anything constructive out before shooing her away.

With Leah's departure, Liz spirals - it rapidly becomes clear that a portion of Liz' fear over Leah's impending death is knowing on some level that Leah's her only tether outside of being a cop. Trashing the turkey and grabbing the bottle to follow her destiny as a true detective is a bit blunt, but here we are. From the overreaction in the pilot to the appalled responses she gets in an environment where everyone drinks and nothing seems walkable, seems pretty likely her husband and son were killed by a drunk driver. Which is about the only thing that will be able to make her feel shittier about driving over on Christmas Eve to gently caress a man she used to cheat on her dead husband with instead of trying to fix things with his daughter or do the cop poo poo that is now the only thing left of her identity.

We get a twist-and-shout scored dream sequence, and then we get our detectives. We have the curse of knowing what Liz does not, and of watching her say exactly the wrong things in a way she's going to immediately regret. It also means none of us judge Navarro too harshly for the abject cruelty of goading Danvers in to getting rid of the bear - something that, whether the bear is real (as the frosted breath might suggest) or a delusion (as everything else points to), is totemic, something as close to sacrosanct as Liz can manage. After one last twist of the knife before Danvers catches up with the viewer, we see Liz drop immediately to sympathy and what I read as a mix of shame and guilt. Which lasts for mere seconds before its replaced by the first bit of terror we've seen in Liz all season. Not the corpsicle, not Annie's death video, not the trailer of insanity. What has Liz shook? Navarro's insistence in the curse.

Because Navarro is Liz' proof that Leah isn't doomed. Navarro won't be murdered by an abuser she protects over and over again. Navarro won't become a fetish for a crazy foreign scientist. Navarro won't try to bring down the mine, she'll join the system that enforces the mine's order. "You're an intelligent woman, you don't have to believe that stuff," isn't about intellect, it's about the heritage Navarro is cut off from. The heritage that Liz can't seem to pry from Leah no matter how hard she tries. The unintended cruelty that opened the scene flips: "I failed her" is the worst possible thing for Liz to hear right now. Almost. The worst is that Navarro is hearing the call too. If even she can succumb, then Leah will too. Liz will have failed her.

The episode could have ended there. A montage of our main cast at Christmas. Alone. If Billie has covered 'One is the loneliest number', it's playing through the montage and in to the credits. Instead, Shook Liz gives the viewer doubt about what happened at Wheeler's. This is the first time we've seen our detectives discuss it. Liz is actively panicking. Navarro meanwhile goes from quizzical to boredom and what might be pity once she realizes what Liz is getting at. Not five minutes after being told her protégé's little sister (the girl she rescued earlier that day) killed herself and that her protégé feels responsibility for this death, Danvers is mocking her with a chuckle and branding her a liar. Cross the surrogate daughter off the list, Navarro follows Leah's path out the door.

I could be wrong! None of this is text. My av text is accurate. Maybe I'm yet again not watching the show I thought was watching. But I hope not - a show that lays the groundwork to deepen this scene is a show I trust more to reach a satisfying conclusion.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
As penance for way too many loving words about a scene nobody likes, some theories I don't actually believe but would be fun

• The mine is a misdirect on both the murders and the pollution
  • Liz shot Wheeler after seeing Leah's face on the dead woman and his cell went off repeatedly during cleanup and staging. The ring tone is Twist and Shout, explaining its return for Liz surreality and Liz' intense dislike.
  • the Lighthouse is run by a Sedna cult and is using the facility to lure, evaluate, and sacrifice Iñupiaq women
  • Qaavik is mauled by the dogs, worked in to a frenzy by the stone (not actually a fun outcome)
  • Pete dies protecting Liz from one of her own bad decisions or saving Leah's life.
  • Dr Who is in Tuttle's pocket and arrived on their orders to sabotage

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I wouldn't mind any of those happening. They won't because those are pretty well thought out and interesting story beats, but any of them could work.

Also I enjoyed reading your write up.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
a teenager is acting out, twisting and shouting. she's having her day off.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Paracaidas posted:

There's an extent to which it worked, but I recall the general discourse (at least in my bubble) being a blend of disappointment that it wasn't the show we thought we were watching and smug satisfaction about the rage of the legitimately insufferable theorists who'd gone way down the rabbit hole about what was :actually: happening and were so very upset about being so very wrong.

The villain torture killed his own father, is in a sexual relationship with his mentally disabled sister, and is the bag man for a cult of pedophile murderers.

Disappointed viewers: is this guy really evil though?

Paracaidas posted:

As someone who didn't (doesn't) know much 19th/early 20th century American horror, this season has scratched some of the itch that season 1 (all the the up til the finale) did for me: an overwrought mystery alluding to a mythos I know almost nothing about with a pair or detectives drawn inexorably into conflict by their flaws. I think rewatching S1 before really helped get me in to the right mindset for watching this season, the joy in the journey.

Episode 4 was my favorite so far. I suspect it'll remain so as the season ends. I've seen it getting mocked onlone but the stuffed polar bear scene was amazing work by the story, by Foster, and by Reis.

Leah continues to explore her identity in the precise ways that terrify Liz most, that draw her closer to the fate that Liz can't stop seeing. And even if Liz weren't already inclined down that road, it's not hard to see parts of Leah in Annie or vice versa, in ways that we suspect Liz would be very proud of if she didn't think it was going to get her killed. There are other times we've seen what was apparently the old Liz, before the bullshit, bleed through - communally mourning the lost pregnancy, de-escalating and removing the kid at the beauty salon - but we've just seen the first time Liz has had to drop the bullshit in conflict, drop it when it costs her, and she does it to save her stepdaughter. Her reward is Leah noting she always takes the mine's side (which is fascinating phrasing that's either teenage hyperbole or that there's more unseen history here) and invalidating everything Liz has been clumsily trying to do for years as a parent with "you don't have to pretend anymore" before bouncing out and marking the younger Priors as the closest thing she has to family. It makes sense, she lacks the context to find anything maternal in Liz' constant, poorly communicated disappointment and demands. Liz is entirely unsurprised, she's seen this coming just as well as any viewer but feels equally as powerless to stop it. She stops a beat, but the rear end in a top hat runs on reflex and she can't get anything constructive out before shooing her away.

With Leah's departure, Liz spirals - it rapidly becomes clear that a portion of Liz' fear over Leah's impending death is knowing on some level that Leah's her only tether outside of being a cop. Trashing the turkey and grabbing the bottle to follow her destiny as a true detective is a bit blunt, but here we are. From the overreaction in the pilot to the appalled responses she gets in an environment where everyone drinks and nothing seems walkable, seems pretty likely her husband and son were killed by a drunk driver. Which is about the only thing that will be able to make her feel shittier about driving over on Christmas Eve to gently caress a man she used to cheat on her dead husband with instead of trying to fix things with his daughter or do the cop poo poo that is now the only thing left of her identity.

We get a twist-and-shout scored dream sequence, and then we get our detectives. We have the curse of knowing what Liz does not, and of watching her say exactly the wrong things in a way she's going to immediately regret. It also means none of us judge Navarro too harshly for the abject cruelty of goading Danvers in to getting rid of the bear - something that, whether the bear is real (as the frosted breath might suggest) or a delusion (as everything else points to), is totemic, something as close to sacrosanct as Liz can manage. After one last twist of the knife before Danvers catches up with the viewer, we see Liz drop immediately to sympathy and what I read as a mix of shame and guilt. Which lasts for mere seconds before its replaced by the first bit of terror we've seen in Liz all season. Not the corpsicle, not Annie's death video, not the trailer of insanity. What has Liz shook? Navarro's insistence in the curse.

Because Navarro is Liz' proof that Leah isn't doomed. Navarro won't be murdered by an abuser she protects over and over again. Navarro won't become a fetish for a crazy foreign scientist. Navarro won't try to bring down the mine, she'll join the system that enforces the mine's order. "You're an intelligent woman, you don't have to believe that stuff," isn't about intellect, it's about the heritage Navarro is cut off from. The heritage that Liz can't seem to pry from Leah no matter how hard she tries. The unintended cruelty that opened the scene flips: "I failed her" is the worst possible thing for Liz to hear right now. Almost. The worst is that Navarro is hearing the call too. If even she can succumb, then Leah will too. Liz will have failed her.

The episode could have ended there. A montage of our main cast at Christmas. Alone. If Billie has covered 'One is the loneliest number', it's playing through the montage and in to the credits. Instead, Shook Liz gives the viewer doubt about what happened at Wheeler's. This is the first time we've seen our detectives discuss it. Liz is actively panicking. Navarro meanwhile goes from quizzical to boredom and what might be pity once she realizes what Liz is getting at. Not five minutes after being told her protégé's little sister (the girl she rescued earlier that day) killed herself and that her protégé feels responsibility for this death, Danvers is mocking her with a chuckle and branding her a liar. Cross the surrogate daughter off the list, Navarro follows Leah's path out the door.

I could be wrong! None of this is text. My av text is accurate. Maybe I'm yet again not watching the show I thought was watching. But I hope not - a show that lays the groundwork to deepen this scene is a show I trust more to reach a satisfying conclusion.

This is excellent, thank you really puts into words what I was feeling watching that episode. The only thing I would add is that the stuffed bear is a totem of her old life, her hanging on to it was showing how she hadn't really processed the trauma, and her throwing it away is her refusing to do that.

That that same bear appears to be a real/ghost bear hanging around the town is the implied threat associated with not dealing with it.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Despera posted:

An excellent example of even years and years later just missing the point. He was in a bad mental place for a long time from the death of his kid. But he wouldn't go through all the effort he did if he really believes all the poo poo he spouted as a defense mechanism for his trauma.

Stopping the killer, almost dying and having an out of body experience was enough of extreme emotional and mental state for him to crack the walls he put up and open up.

He was always the person he ended up as. He didn't 'randomly turn into an optimist'.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Justin Credible posted:

An excellent example of even years and years later just missing the point. He was in a bad mental place for a long time from the death of his kid. But he wouldn't go through all the effort he did if he really believes all the poo poo he spouted as a defense mechanism for his trauma.

Stopping the killer, almost dying and having an out of body experience was enough of extreme emotional and mental state for him to crack the walls he put up and open up.

He was always the person he ended up as. He didn't 'randomly turn into an optimist'.

One of the great tricks the show does is have Rust appear to be this whacko nihilist who nobody likes, but he's actually a much better person than Marty who is an alcoholic piece of poo poo cheater. The flip of Marty going "this girl is underage what are you doing" to loving her a few years later is so good. He sucks.

Rust was a good man who experienced horrible trauma and it took him decades and accomplishing vengeance against real evil and almost dying in the process to start to heal.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I think people overlook maybe the most important thing that Rust said in the show and his entire character is based upon, “we do it all for the kids.”
At the conclusion of the show he was able to stop more children from being harmed and made peace with his daughter’s death. I’m simplifying because I’m phone posting at work, but hopefully the point comes across.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I hate saying this because it would be terrible in execution, but I am kind of curious about where Marty and Rust are in their lives as they approach 60. It would be interesting to see them again at the edge of becoming old men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Reboot/fusion of The Odd Couple/True Detective Season 1 is currently underway! There's a script that was originally meant as a Seth Rogan/Jeremy Piven buddy cop movie that can readily be turned into a 12 episode series!