Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Fil5000 posted:

There's twenty four hours of meetings in there as well, phone calls, conference calls and "public events" are all basically meetings. They do five hours work a week and spend the rest telling people the work they've done

I'd stick "business meals" in that meeting category as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I stupidly agreed to replace a SSD in a HP Folio laptop with this crazy attached leather outside cover. Step 1 is removing the screen which is held in with adhesive!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQjmO8NiKgM

The upside is HP has disassembly videos for the whole thing, the downside is if I break the screen it's like $150 for the part and I only quoted the guy two hours which would barely cover that. I think I felt like it'd be a fun challenge but I also think HP making a laptop that can't have the SSD replaced without taking the whole thing apart makes it a stupid piece of poo poo laptop. It looks neat but what rear end in a top hat designed this thing. Things that aren't made to be fixed pisses me off.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

FISHMANPET posted:

I'd stick "business meals" in that meeting category as well.

5 hours a week of "business meals" is just lunch.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

don't forget my business shits

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Rexxed posted:

I stupidly agreed to replace a SSD in a HP Folio laptop with this crazy attached leather outside cover. Step 1 is removing the screen which is held in with adhesive!

The upside is HP has disassembly videos for the whole thing, the downside is if I break the screen it's like $150 for the part and I only quoted the guy two hours which would barely cover that. I think I felt like it'd be a fun challenge but I also think HP making a laptop that can't have the SSD replaced without taking the whole thing apart makes it a stupid piece of poo poo laptop. It looks neat but what rear end in a top hat designed this thing. Things that aren't made to be fixed pisses me off.

probably too late but ifixit has a screen repair kit for ipads that includes a heat pad and suction cups for removing adhesive attached displays

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

don't forget my business shits

Depending on your diet that might be included in the "exercise" category under miscellaneous.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you do lots of consumer electronics repairs (and I don't envy you at all) then an Aliexpress heat plate thing is a good investment.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The Fool posted:

probably too late but ifixit has a screen repair kit for ipads that includes a heat pad and suction cups for removing adhesive attached displays

Yeah I've got most of the tools, it's just tedious and risks breaking the screen. Better to have a working laptop than one with a dead SSD, though.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Rexxed posted:

Yeah I've got most of the tools, it's just tedious and risks breaking the screen. Better to have a working laptop than one with a dead SSD, though.

Yeah even with all the proper gear, the time the glass cracks might just be this time, no matter how gently you pull or pry.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

"Order some BOSE noise cancelling headphones for the new office space"
There are better options out there
"We'll go with the BOSE"
:negative:

Isepic
May 7, 2002

This. This is the poo poo that pisses me off.
https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2107518
Thanks, Broadcom. Helpful as always.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Rexxed posted:

It's why I appreciate vendors who make things accessible, like laptops that have the little doors to access RAM or SSD/HDD slots. Makes no sense to have to take half the machine apart just to do an upgrade or repair one part.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Isepic posted:

I love the language. "Regrettably", motherfucker it was your decision to do this. It's like saying, "regrettably I just poo poo in your desk drawer".

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

It's like saying, "regrettably I just poo poo in your desk drawer".

i genuinely did regret that but unfortunately i had no other options

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Isepic posted:

One of my Engineers said that in a few years we will see the Broadcom handling of the VMWare acquisition as a 'what not to do' in university business classes, and I 100% agree.

My whole team was hobby users of VMWare and this will kill the userbase.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It'd be a lesson if the topic was running a business. Vulture capital has shown that you don't have to successfully run a business, you just need to consume all of the capital, leaving the smoking husk of a company, and move on to the next. The weakening of VMware just made them a more attractive target for this type of move.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

kensei posted:

One of my Engineers said that in a few years we will see the Broadcom handling of the VMWare acquisition as a 'what not to do' in university business classes, and I 100% agree.

My whole team was hobby users of VMWare and this will kill the userbase.

It will only be a lesson of "what not to do" if Broadcom ends up losing money from this. While everyone is rooting for that to be the case, that's not a given. Even if in the end VMWare will die a slow and painful death, if Broadcom recoups its investment and makes a bit of a profit on it, then it'll be a lesson on what to do with a mature product.

:capitalism:

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

I love the language. "Regrettably", motherfucker it was your decision to do this. It's like saying, "regrettably I just poo poo in your desk drawer".

I just had this conversation with a friend of mine. What is the appropriate language for "I am aware of this decision's negative impact on you, and I did account for it, but in the end I made the decision anyway."? "Sorry" or "I regret..." both imply you would have done something different...

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Dunno, "After deliberation we have decided that (X must happen), despite (the consequences for Y)."

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I think you own the decision but "regret" the impact, so in this case that seems... fine. I feel like there's this silent agreement in society where everybody knows that corporate speak is bullshit and what it really means but we still have to do it. So nobody is really fooled by that statement, but we've all just agreed that companies will talk like that.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Polite Post is great for writing hate filled vitriol and getting back a somewhat useful coherent response.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
If you want to plan a move off VMWare, your main options are... Hyper-V?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

BOOTY-ADE posted:

It's why I appreciate vendors who make things accessible, like laptops that have the little doors to access RAM or SSD/HDD slots. Makes no sense to have to take half the machine apart just to do an upgrade or repair one part.

Yeah, it's a real pain in the rear end. I got the thing apart without breaking the screen, put in a new SSD, put it back together (sans screen adhesive) and the bios doesn't see the new disk. Is the mainboard bad or do I just need to wiggle it in the m2 slot?

Took it apart again, somehow pulled the keyboard ribbon cable connector off the mainboard. Nothing seems to be broken it just needs some real fine soldering. I'm gonna do that tomorrow or later today if the caffeine shakes slow down. Will the disk work after that? Who knows, I hate this thing. I should've quoted gently caress you money to fix it since now I'm on my own time.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

guppy posted:

Now days Microsoft is going to sell you Azure or if you have to stay On-Premise it's going to be Azure stack. Or than that I think Nutanix is one of the last few remaining vendors that's in the virt. space.

Microsoft hasn't touched Hyper-V Server since 2019.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

It's like saying, "regrettably I just poo poo in your desk drawer".
I may not regret it, but you will.

guppy posted:

How mature for enterprise use is proxmox nowadays? I haven't used it for probably 5+ years and even then it was just a single lab node.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

How mature for enterprise use is proxmox nowadays? I haven't used it for probably 5+ years and even then it was just a single lab node.

Ask us in a year because we're migrating off RHEV to proxmox right now. So far it's "fine," feels exactly like RHEV.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

xzzy posted:

Ask us in a year because we're migrating off RHEV to proxmox right now. So far it's "fine," feels exactly like RHEV.

Are you using shared storage? We have one remaining client with a VMware cluster and though their license will last through September we definitely need to figure out what the alternative is. I believe Veeam has announced they're working on Proxmox support which would take care of the backup issue, but while I've used Proxmox a bit (my home server runs it), I don't know how well it works with an old-style iSCSI SAN + VM hosts cluster.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not iscsi but our storage is a fiber attached san. Expensive (for us) but it's worked well.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Ugh,

Even as someone who has money in the bank and a ton of real world experience looking for a new gig sucks. I've started carefully documenting all of the positions I've applied, tailoring my resume for each individual position, reaching out to former colleagues I knew well, etc. and out of twelve solid leads I've gotten two Nays but the rest I'm waiting on feedback and waiting is the worst part out all of this nonsense. :smith:

I also took a year off traveling after getting laid off - is that really that big of a red flag? And I am having a hell of time finding an Azure position for anything.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Is creating a power Apps environment a time consuming and difficult process?

My boss's wants me a java / web dev to build an app in PowerApps , however the PowerApps team acts like it's a huge thing.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

don't do it you will hate every minute of it

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

joebuddah posted:

Is creating a power Apps environment a time consuming and difficult process?

My boss's wants me a java / web dev to build an app in PowerApps , however the PowerApps team acts like it's a huge thing.

What's the nature of the app? In Power Apps, it can be anything spanning "trivial" to "lol no". Tons of great YouTube channels on there on how to develop with it.

If you're coming from java/web, it might give you a migraine.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
It's replacing an app in lotus notes. Over all it's not that bad , reminds me of Visual Basic. My biggest issue is getting access to the data connectors.

The amount of scripting I have to do, to get the same results as a SQL query is nuts.

I fully understand they don't want someone not on their team to have write access to their tables. I would think that Dataverse tables would be able to have the same permission options as a SQL server.

All I want is to have a development and production environment and the ability to connect to my Azure database

joebuddah fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 16, 2024

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Dataverse tables do have permission options but you have to configure and assign them directly in power platform.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Gucci Loafers posted:

I also took a year off traveling after getting laid off - is that really that big of a red flag?

It’s not.

Depending on your comfort level, you can either say, “I was a 1099 consultant at my sole proprietorship.” Fill in the activities performed with poo poo you previously did at earlier companies in a “did more of the same” kinda way. It’s stretching the truth to almost the breaking point but no one cares: the refund gets you in the door.

Or be straightforward-ish: “I took extended time off to recharge, do [very interesting hobbies], and live life. Now I’m fresh, motivated, and ready to kick ads at a new opportunity.”

Also FWIW- at the risk of :filez: there are a million virus-free license key generators out there for ESX 7 & 8. No need to panic about them getting rid of the free versions. Except of course it’s annoying AF that Broadcom is doing this in the first place.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 16, 2024

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

I heard suggestions to run your resume through chatgpt to make it hit the AI keyword salad that HR uses.
You can also ask someone here to be reference for you, just tell them what to say. It has been suggested before.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dunno-Lars posted:

I heard suggestions to run your resume through chatgpt to make it hit the AI keyword salad that HR uses.
You can also ask someone here to be reference for you, just tell them what to say. It has been suggested before.

Places are also starting to make lists of words and phrases that show up in these over and over again to catch them. If half of the resumes in the pile use the exact same phrase to describe something, they're going in the bin.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

So the ai vs ai war has started? I am not surprised it started in HR.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I wouldn't even call it that, it's the usual bullshit where someone invents a way to reduce the manpower required for a task and people immediately exploit it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Dunno-Lars posted:

If you do this, edit it heavily after the AI takes a pass. The ChatGPT written resumes tend to be pretty easy to flag.