Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Waffleman_ posted:

Apparently the Moonlight got a crazy buff

did it? i heard that it gained energy firearm spec scaling but lost melee spec scaling. if that's actually what happened i'd call that so-so or even a nerf, putting basho arms on your mech is a way lower opportunity cost than using that kind of poo poo 150 EF spec generator

if it just scales from both now though, yeah thats nuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

sharkmafia posted:

did it? i heard that it gained energy firearm spec scaling but lost melee spec scaling. if that's actually what happened i'd call that so-so or even a nerf, putting basho arms on your mech is a way lower opportunity cost than using that kind of poo poo 150 EF spec generator

if it just scales from both now though, yeah thats nuts

i ran a quick test and i can confirm that, yeah, both melee spec and energy weapon spec increase the damage of moonlight. :getin:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I'm thinking this game isn't for me. I'm trying to s rank the chapter 1 missions, and I fail 9 times out of 10 on the boss for Illegal Entry. The helicopter just flies away from me and shoots these heavy cannon things at me and stuns me. I don't know how to dodge it, quick boost doesn't get me out of damages way. I keep practicing but I feel like I am learning nothing.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I might wait to try S ranking the missions. Illegal entry can be deceptively hard. It’s a lot more fun to replay when you’ve beaten the game once or twice

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Illegal Entry is easily one of the hardest S ranks in the entire game tbh, it's not just you. It took me like 20 tries because the default loadout is nothing like my usual playstyle.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Node posted:

I'm thinking this game isn't for me. I'm trying to s rank the chapter 1 missions, and I fail 9 times out of 10 on the boss for Illegal Entry. The helicopter just flies away from me and shoots these heavy cannon things at me and stuns me. I don't know how to dodge it, quick boost doesn't get me out of damages way. I keep practicing but I feel like I am learning nothing.

I’ve S-ranked every mission, and let me tell you that trying to do that out of the gate is next to impossible. It’s not really even meant to be tried until you beat the game multiple times, get all the OST chip upgrades, etc.

And even then, like has already been said just above this post, Illegal Entry is one of the tougher missions to S-Rank. You’re locked to one build and the boss fight is honestly kind of dependent on the RNG in a way other boss fights are not (most other bosses can’t fly outside of the level boundary and keep shooting, for example), etc.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I did manage to just s rank it, thanks to the RNG you described, the helicopter mostly just stayed in one place which let me pummel it from below. Now I've potty trained myself, I'm a big boy.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

i had no idea that illegal entry was even hard to s rank until i saw people say it itt, i did it on my first try without actually intending to. i'm surprised that the helicopter's pathfinding hasn't been patched to be less RNG dependent.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Node posted:

i didn't s-rank that until immediately after beating ng++, the trick was always assault boosting. you want to draw the helicopter into the center of the arena and assault boost up into its face and stay there as long as possible hitting it with your sword. it's not really a fight where you should be quick-boosting except maybe to dodge the missiles while you're on the ground charging up for another assault boost. (you should also be assault boosting constantly and skipping most of the enemies before the boss) but yeah it's one of the hardest missions in the game to s-rank, don't beat yourself up about it

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Node posted:

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I did manage to just s rank it, thanks to the RNG you described, the helicopter mostly just stayed in one place which let me pummel it from below. Now I've potty trained myself, I'm a big boy.

oh nice

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
The Illegal Entry S-Rank is pretty easy (as far as the ones that aren't completely mindless go), and build/upgrade agnostic since you're on LOADER 4 without any OS Tuning.

Most of the challenge comes from figuring out the right traversal route which is ABing to the first wreck on the crashed ship, over the ship to get the one where the PCA helo makes its attack run, then the last one and up to the boss arena we go.

The trick against the helicopter itself is Assault Boosting right up to it and combo slash with the Pulse Blade whenever it's off cooldown, and to never stop firing missiles. The rifle's a peashooter but might as well keep the trigger on too. Whole fight should take like 30-40 seconds.

Basically, always be Assault Boosting. That's the entire game, really.

Need to reach an objective? Assault Boost. Need to dodge? Assault Boost. Enemy is flying around spamming projectiles? Assault Boost. Enemy is right in front of you? Assault Boost (to kick). Busted loving mechanic.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 8, 2024

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
How do you S Rank the Chapter 4 boss level?

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Pretty sure that one is among the "just don't die" levels where as long as you make it through in a single go your ammo/repair costs are pretty much meaningless.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Olothreutes posted:

Pretty sure that one is among the "just don't die" levels where as long as you make it through in a single go your ammo/repair costs are pretty much meaningless.

Like as long as I don't click 'restart from checkpoint' I can S Rank it even if I use all of my repair kits?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah pretty much. Just don't die, dying always caps you at A rank.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
I definitely failed the S a few times going for it. Laser lance + laser slicer with Basho arms was what got me the S-rank in the end.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I did it with a lightweight build, double Huxley bullet orbits, a pistol and the laser slicer.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Strawberry Panda posted:

Like as long as I don't click 'restart from checkpoint' I can S Rank it even if I use all of my repair kits?

As long as you do it relatively quickly, then yes you should S Rank it, boss fights are extremely generous in their time. You can just ignore everything except the scripted enemies there.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I'm not getting quick boosting very much. You know the mission where you destroy helicopters, and there is an optional BAWS tetrapod? It has an attack where it aims its cannon at you, an alarm screeches, a red square appears in front of it, and then it hits you for 1300 AP. I can't figure out how to avoid that. I've tried timing my quick boosts, I've tried keeping distance, I've tried flying over it, the thing always hits me. Whats the trick? I'm trying to use Elden Ring muscle memory and I think that is actually hurting me more than helping me.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Node posted:

I'm not getting quick boosting very much. You know the mission where you destroy helicopters, and there is an optional BAWS tetrapod? It has an attack where it aims its cannon at you, an alarm screeches, a red square appears in front of it, and then it hits you for 1300 AP. I can't figure out how to avoid that. I've tried timing my quick boosts, I've tried keeping distance, I've tried flying over it, the thing always hits me. Whats the trick? I'm trying to use Elden Ring muscle memory and I think that is actually hurting me more than helping me.

Dodge left or right?

There are no i-frames in Armored Core.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
If your robutt is too heavy or your gen/booster set up is lagging behind then you have to accept getting hit by certain attacks or getting perfect, preemptive dodging down.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Node posted:

There is a LOT of indestructable cover around, you can just run behind it during the long windup.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Dodge left or right?

There are no i-frames in Armored Core.

That's quick boosting, right? It hits me every time, no matter how far away I am, no matter what direction I dodge, and I can't figure out what to do different.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Go above it and over. It doesn't track well if you go high and switch sides so it has to 180 the gun.

This works very well for seaspider too

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Node posted:

That's quick boosting, right? It hits me every time, no matter how far away I am, no matter what direction I dodge, and I can't figure out what to do different.

I just played this with the default kit and was only able to dodge maybe half the shots. The timing is incredibly tight and it's because the quick boost on the P10 booster component is one of the worst.

You'll be better off rushing it down with the sword and taking cover during the cool down.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Node posted:

Dodging generally involves Quick Boosting, yes.

As pointed out, there are no i-frames for quick boosting here. My suggestion is to not try to dodge backwards because it'll catch you. Dodge left/right towards the tetrapod. Or just kick it.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Node posted:

There are enemies that know what controls you're hitting and will compensate accordingly. The way to reliably dodge their attacks is to dodge after they fire.

Edit: I'm not sure if this is true in your case, but my big realization moment was the beginning of the enforcer boss fight.

rarbatrol fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 10, 2024

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

don't sleep on shields, they seem pretty good in this game

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Yeah, the alternative is going full Sekiro and Assault Boosting, jousting straight down the line of fire and using the left/right dodge during an Assault Boost to play chicken with incoming projectiles.

AC doesn't go all out 'Hesitation is Defeat' but it def has a lot of instances where being assertive pays off in huge ways.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

The P10 booster is so focused on EN efficiency that it's to the detriment of almost all other stats. Except for the assault boost, it's decent at that.

I changed to the P4 and was able to dodge twice as many shots much easier.

Another tip is to strafe one way and quick boost the opposite direction. Moving in a small circular pattern on the vertical axis will also mess with their FCS predictive aiming enough at times to just flat out miss, or be offset enough that a quick boost in almost any direction will miss.

Edit: in truth speed is the biggest key to dodging, really early game ACs are a bit limited by some slower boosters. The Alula/21E is a booster made available via doing the training missions and it sacrifices all its efficiency for speed. Try it if you haven't.

War Wizard fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 10, 2024

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

War Wizard posted:

Another tip is to strafe one way and quick boost the opposite direction.

Yup.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Tip: if you're fighting on the floor against something called the Cleaner, you're going to get swept.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I swear that 90% of my accidental deaths in PVP are because I start getting tense and push in the left stick and assault boost right into my opponent's gun barrel.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I deliberately swapped the controls because of that. I naturally pushed the stick in when focused/eager or my new controller is too sensitive to that and it'd happen constantly.

I find that turning off Boost(not quick boost, the face button that toggles whether or not you passively glide after you quick boost) or Toss Weapon gives you a lot of flexibility in controller customization. My assault boosting or chip skill use was pretty deliberately timed so hitting D-Pad Left worked well. Also I'm really lazy so I usually used Terminal Armor to avoid unpleasant surprises from eating big hits.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

You need the Boost button for Quick Turns, though.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

What if I told you the guy who was dumb enough to beat the game once without understanding lock ons also beat the game 3 times without quick turning once. :smug:

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 10, 2024

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Entirely believable since the game's pretty easy. As with half the mechanics it only really matters for PvP.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Hard lock mostly obviates the need for quick turn so I bet most players never use it.

Maybe they would if it was "hold stick and tap button" instead of the insane "hold button and tap stick."

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

People don't Quick Turn because they don't Assault Boost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Most of the way though chapter 3 (I think) as was just introduced to the ice worm. Fun poo poo.

I have to say, that HC fight on the third wall mission was a massive dick. It took me way too long to figure out to just stay in his face and dodge back when he goes for shield bash or that field pulse attack thing. Of course, not having a checkpoint in that mission was the real annoying part. >_>

I think I may have railroaded myself a little bit by going all in on energy boosts for my initial glut of OS chips.