Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

No one has ever given a poo poo about Black Adam and that the Rock thought differently is one of the funniest things in the world to me.

I give a poo poo about Black Adam….

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

But... a boxing glove makes a punch LESS hurtful and dangerous than not using a boxing glove? That's famously their entire point.

did u know, putting someone through a table, is good for them, if anything

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

edogawa rando posted:

Generally speaking, a tent pole film not making double its reported production budget is usually a disappointment.

To be fair, the only wrinkle in that traditional movie budgeting calculus was the pandemic, with Disney opting to hedge their bets and release several movies (JC, Cruella, Black Widow) simultaneously in theaters and on D+ (via Premier Access).

The problem is, by doing that, it's practically impossible to determine whether a movie released on D+ cannibalized ticket sales for the same movie in the theaters. Did the D+ release stop people from going to the theaters to see the movie? Did it tempt in any viewers who otherwise wouldn't have bothered to go see it? With that in mind, it can't really be argued that the movie was a success, because there's so much uncertainty due to the day-and-date release strategy.

One thing that cannot be argued, however, is that the Rock's movie was an absolute flop when compared to fellow Disney day-and-date release Black Widow. BW had a budget of roughly $288 million and made $379 million worldwide at the box office, with its D+ opening weekend grossing nearly $70 million. By comparison, JC had a budget of $200 million and made $220 million worldwide, with $30 million for its D+ opening weekend.

The Rock headlining a movie couldn't even beat out a movie starring one of the lesser Avengers, even with his movie having a comparatively smaller budget and the similar day-and-date release strategy. It's pretty safe to say the Rock's star was definitely beginning to diminish by that time.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i think people woulda gave a poo poo about black adam if he did it when people first started saying rock should be black adam, like 12 years ago. just like this main event would have been cool 8 years ago. the rock is a bundle of nerves constantly unable to pull the trigger and im here for it

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

To be fair, the only wrinkle in that traditional movie budgeting calculus was the pandemic, with Disney opting to hedge their bets and release several movies (JC, Cruella, Black Widow) simultaneously in theaters and on D+ (via Premier Access).

The problem is, by doing that, it's practically impossible to determine whether a movie released on D+ cannibalized ticket sales for the same movie in the theaters. Did the D+ release stop people from going to the theaters to see the movie? Did it tempt in any viewers who otherwise wouldn't have bothered to go see it? With that in mind, it can't really be argued that the movie was a success, because there's so much uncertainty due to the day-and-date release strategy.

One thing that cannot be argued, however, is that the Rock's movie was an absolute flop when compared to fellow Disney day-and-date release Black Widow. BW had a budget of roughly $288 million and made $379 million worldwide at the box office, with its D+ opening weekend grossing nearly $70 million. By comparison, JC had a budget of $200 million and made $220 million worldwide, with $30 million for its D+ opening weekend.

The Rock headlining a movie couldn't even beat out a movie starring one of the lesser Avengers, even with his movie having a comparatively smaller budget and the similar day-and-date release strategy. It's pretty safe to say the Rock's star was definitely beginning to diminish by that time.

Again, actual contemporary industry sources disagree with you. These movies did not have the same expectations. Thinking they did is just silly.

https://twitter.com/ERCboxoffice/status/1421860085836308484

There are plenty of box office disappointments, and middling results in the Rock's career, basically at all times. This period is no different.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

Again, actual contemporary industry sources disagree with you. These movies did not have the same expectations. Thinking they did is just silly.

https://twitter.com/ERCboxoffice/status/1421860085836308484

There are plenty of box office disappointments, and middling results in the Rock's career, basically at all times. This period is no different.

I mean, I pulled my info out of the same Variety articles you did, so I don't know what else to tell you. If you want to believe the Rock's star isn't waning (which is why he came back to WWE) and that Jungle Cruise was a massive success, then by all means do so. I don't know why you're choosing this particular hill, but go on with your bad self, I guess.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

"it made half of what black widow made" from the Investor Cope Twitter, seems pretty concrete

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I mean, I pulled my info out of the same Variety articles you did, so I don't know what else to tell you. If you want to believe the Rock's star isn't waning (which is why he came back to WWE) and that Jungle Cruise was a massive success, then by all means do so. I don't know why you're choosing this particular hill, but go on with your bad self, I guess.

I don't think it was a massive success, but feel free to make things up.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

I don't think it was a massive success, but feel free to make things up.

Oh, sorry, it was a success, just not a massive one. I briefly forgot your tiresome penchant for pedantry. :rolleyes:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

That DICK! posted:

"it made half of what black widow made" from the Investor Cope Twitter, seems pretty concrete

Absolutely brutal

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

the rock is a mark

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Oh, sorry, it was a success, just not a massive one. I briefly forgot your tiresome penchant for pedantry. :rolleyes:

I said it did fine. It did. Expectations were very muted in 2021. Again, it was #4 that summer. #4 this summer beat that by 50%.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the rock is a mark

for Dwayne Johnson

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

fez_machine posted:

The Rock had to wait a year but he would absolutely not be doing anything wrestling related if his movie career was going better.

I think there's a decent chant that the Rock would be trying to get to the top of a billion dollar company that's going through a massive power vacuum at the top regardless of how his movie career was going.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

mrt.... did you work on jungle cruise....

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

(vincent price voice) no wrestler can resist the allure... of the book uwhahahaha

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Sydney Bottocks posted:

friend,

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

brother,

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

That DICK! posted:

mrt.... did you work on jungle cruise....

Uh, parents, there's one last thing that I'd like to mention before you leave. It's kind of a sensitive subject to me. When you leave the park later on today, please don't forget to take with you all of your small children. Um, if you do happen to leave any of them behind, it only takes thirty days for them to become permanent property of the Walt Disney Company. You see, the kiddies will be shipped over to "It's A Small World," their little feet will be bolted to the floor and they'll be forced to sing that stupid song over and over again. And after fifteen years, they will finally be eligible for a promotion to Jungle Cruise skipper. Yeah. Now you see how I got here. So if you see my parents wandering around the park, please send them over here and get me. The joke is over... it's really not that funny anymore. Okay, have you all had a great time on the Jungle Cruise today?!

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i googled jungle cruise. it says it had a box office of 220 million and a production budget of 200 million. this does not include marketing. this film seems a enormous failure.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Isn't it a thing that movies have to make at least 2 to 5 times their budget to actually make money?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Drakkel posted:

Isn't it a thing that movies have to make at least 2 to 5 times their budget to actually make money?

3-5 times depending on the distribution of domestic and foreign gross.

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

Loving this jungle cruise slapfight

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Jungle Cruise is gonna do what CM Punk couldn't and tear PSP apart. :(

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Shrimpy posted:

The fact that there's an argument over whether Jungle Cruise was a flop or not is basically all the evidence you need that The Rock's movie career isn't what he wants it to be.

If The Rock is so concerned in how he looks in movies, he should be going the Jason Statham route. Just hitting lucrative singles and doubles at the box office while beating up nobodies.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think Black Adam was very much a Last Action Hero situation where the film was so closely tied with him in publicity that its failure is particularly damaging.

Like a lot of the films that made him a big star were ensemble pieces, the Fast movies are all about “the family” etc.

I think these are pretty important points about Rock's film career. He's a Jason Statham level guy who markets himself as a Tom Cruise guy. So when he does Jason Statham numbers and not Tom Cruise numbers it looks like a failure. And it's true that most of his big stuff has been IP or ensemble stuff. Is Chris Pratt a superstar A lister because he's in the Jurassic Park and Guardians movie? KINDA, but not really. The success of Moana or the FF movies don't rest on the Rock. It's the franchise.

If The Rock was replaced in Jungle Book 2 or Skyscraper 2 with, say, Jack Black or Jason Momoa, would it make much of a difference?

This is a guy who was flying so high he couldn't bother coming back to WWE for when they dedicated an entire night to his career or for cross promotion for his OWN netflix movie!

But after his football mogul dreams were cut in half and he didn't have the stroke to take over the DCU he's coming back to where he can, apparently, call the shots. No shame in it but the perception of him is no longer the guy is on top of the world who might be president one day!, it's of a messy bitch who cried about his box office bomb on instagram and runs a thrice failed second rate football league.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the only Jungle Cruise I'm interested in involves the Amen Break

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

more like. bungle lose

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

"Jungle" Jack Cruise

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

a single post about jungle cruise was more than that movie deserved

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

1glitch0 posted:

I think these are pretty important points about Rock's film career. He's a Jason Statham level guy who markets himself as a Tom Cruise guy. So when he does Jason Statham numbers and not Tom Cruise numbers it looks like a failure. And it's true that most of his big stuff has been IP or ensemble stuff. Is Chris Pratt a superstar A lister because he's in the Jurassic Park and Guardians movie? KINDA, but not really. The success of Moana or the FF movies don't rest on the Rock. It's the franchise.

If The Rock was replaced in Jungle Book 2 or Skyscraper 2 with, say, Jack Black or Jason Momoa, would it make much of a difference?

This is a guy who was flying so high he couldn't bother coming back to WWE for when they dedicated an entire night to his career or for cross promotion for his OWN netflix movie!

But after his football mogul dreams were cut in half and he didn't have the stroke to take over the DCU he's coming back to where he can, apparently, call the shots. No shame in it but the perception of him is no longer the guy is on top of the world who might be president one day!, it's of a messy bitch who cried about his box office bomb on instagram and runs a thrice failed second rate football league.

Tom Cruise was having a streak of rough numbers prior to Fallout with Reacher Never Look Back, The Mummy and American Made which had people talking about if he was done or at best a franchise player with MI. Maverick was looking like a disaster as the pandemic started and people kept giving poor Tom a tough time.

Then he saved cinema.

The Cody fans will stop crying one day and realize The Rock is doing the same for WWE.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Drakkel posted:

25 years ago, the basic rule of thumb was that a movie became profitable after generating 2.5x its production budget (that 2.5x accounting for marketing and promotional spend, distribution costs--striking prints is expensive--the theaters' take of the box office numbers, etc.)

Nowadays, though, the math is a lot fuzzier with digital distribution of movies to theaters, the proliferation of home video, the explosion of selling streaming rights, massive worldwide expansion and the like, and it varies by movie. Man of Steel, for example, was already in the black before it earned a single cent at the box office because of the product placement deals Warner Bros. had worked out. The math is going to get even fuzzier in the coming years now that the Paramount consent decrees of 1948 (which prohibited studios from owning movie theaters) were repealed in 2020.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Alaois posted:

the only Jungle Cruise I'm interested in involves the Amen Break

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Jungle cruise looked okay I should throw it on while matching socks this weekend

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

"My hopes have all vanished and my dreams have all died"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

There are 87 varieties of poisonous snakes on the North American continent. We at the Jungle Cruise are proud of the fact that we have 82 of these varieties in the wooden rafters directly over your heads. Fear not, though, they will NOT attack a moving target, so please try to keep the line moving. If the line won’t move, simply run in place.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

MassRafTer posted:

There are 87 varieties of poisonous snakes on the North American continent. We at the Jungle Cruise are proud of the fact that we have 82 of these varieties in the wooden rafters directly over your heads. Fear not, though, they will NOT attack a moving target, so please try to keep the line moving. If the line won’t move, simply run in place.

Poisonous snakes are only a problem if you try to eat them. It's the venomous ones you have to watch out for.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Why would I not eat them, that's what they're trying to do to me.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Bridge on the River Kwai but the bridge is Cody's story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

hi im tony. did you know that a koala's appendix is about two meters long.

Open Marriage Night posted:

The Rock big timed Shazam and didn’t want anything to do with it. He knew if they ever crossed over he’d have to job to a group of teenagers.

All the more reason why he would never get to the level of an Arnold as an action star