Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

howe_sam posted:

Gazpacho and Revenge, get it, they're both best served cold :haw:

Souper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Legend of Bill (first published in 2010)

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (March 07, 2002)

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

I haven't commented on it because frankly I agree with everyone else, but I absolutely love this one. "Her design choices, although lovely, were confusing." is just a loving great line, although "all the world wanted to protect the baby Jesus." "By sweeping for mines?" is gold too.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nativity scene gags are always great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8tSq-fNNyk

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

I am dying, here. I'm dying.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

Giant baby Jesus is trying to horn in on WAR baby's adorable turf.

Vintage Valiant (Aug. 27, 1961)

Courteous and kind, that's Val alright!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/7/04

Brenda Starr 8/4-6/52

Lamolot, the lamer version of Camelot.

Smokey Stover 8/30/59

Everyday Movies 3/23/37

"Say, Gladys, how do you spell 'secretary'? I don't want to put down 'hatcheck girl' where it says 'occupation.'""

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 2/1-3/43

Closer Than We Think! 8/30/59

Selachian fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Feb 8, 2024

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (January 22, 1936)

Peanuts (February 10, 1977)

Cranky Shafterbean

What could've changed in the market between 1965 and 2023? There has to be a direct answer to explain these things.

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (October 17-19, 1935)

Thimble Theater (September 12, 1940)

Olive & Popeye

Out Our Way (December 13-15, 1943)

1943 BONUS! A full page ad from the alcohol industry to let you know that no, we are not running a wartime supply-and-demand scam on you. Your neighbor who says he knows a guy who knows the full story is full of poo poo.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Selachian posted:

Smokey Stover 8/30/59

I quite like the little puns they throw in the panels everywhere. :)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

EasyEW posted:

Olive & Popeye

You stalked the guy for months but didn't kidnap him but you kidnapped Snozzle? This guy has amazingly specific and restricted resources and power.

And that's not a dramatic twist. That's an expected twist. An absurdly stupid one if you could've popped the bubble at any time with what you hand on hand.

Also the dramatic twist that was being set up was Joe and Poopdeck showing up to save the day! Argh! Man, this just sucks. Why are they even there? Why waste time on their milquetoast joke strips? Why waste time on a villain monologue? My man has been at the Popeye factory for a year and can't figure out how to set stakes better than the cartoons with "Bluto kidnapped Olive."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

THORN, November 16-23, 1983

Well that sounds bad.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

If only this was a well documented basic issue in journalism that somebody at this college could advise Michael on much better than a random co-student could even if that co-student wasn't phrenology guy.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Once Again, State And Corporate-Backed Murder

Kevin and Kell

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Frank and Ernest

(1/5/1996)

(1/6/1996)

Ziggy

(8/27/1971)

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

My Lovely Horse posted:

If only this was a well documented basic issue in journalism that somebody at this college could advise Michael on much better than a random co-student could even if that co-student wasn't phrenology guy.

And getting into the student paper is not going to make or break this kid's career, especially when he's a freshman and will presumably have other opportunities later in college.

We also know that his friend is in the wrong because he wears sunglasses and gives off a vibe other than suburban mundanity.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

EasyEW posted:

Cranky Shafterbean

What could've changed in the market between 1965 and 2023? There has to be a direct answer to explain these things.

Nuance? In my comic books graphic novels?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endless Mike posted:

Well that sounds bad.

In these three strips, Gran'ma Ben gets some kind of feelin'. Unclear how gitchy it is or whether it suggests something bad.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Insert Foundation TV show joke here.

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 2/1-3/43

Try to imagine what that would look like. Especially Scarlett darting her hand in to set the roulette ball down in a specific bracket.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Scarlet working on sending a lot of these guys home to their wives with broken legs and arms.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 8/30/59

Having the crew and passengers sit in a gondola that's held up by three small metal poles seems extremely, incredibly dangerous and poorly thought out. Feels like that thing would lead to a mass casualty the first time anyone tried to do something like cross the Atlantic or sail in rough seas. And I say "rough seas" because famously the only thing submarines have over surface vessels (aside from stealthiness) is that rough seas don't hit them as hard -- provided they're deep enough.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Cul de Sac

FoxTrot Classix

I've always taken issue with this comedic device. I'm not morning person myself, but "person is incapable of functioning after getting out of bed" has always been too broad and goofy for me...without the compounding factor of "This person has a severe hangover."

Rose is Rose

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Having the crew and passengers sit in a gondola that's held up by three small metal poles seems extremely, incredibly dangerous and poorly thought out. Feels like that thing would lead to a mass casualty the first time anyone tried to do something like cross the Atlantic or sail in rough seas. And I say "rough seas" because famously the only thing submarines have over surface vessels (aside from stealthiness) is that rough seas don't hit them as hard -- provided they're deep enough.
Yeah, I'm not sure what this solves. It's not like being just below the surface really solves the issue of heavy seas. Seems like loading cargo would be way more difficult

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure what this solves. It's not like being just below the surface really solves the issue of heavy seas. Seems like loading cargo would be way more difficult

There is such a thing as a semi-submersible cargo vessel today, but it's completely different than the design here -- it temporarily submerges its deck to load cargo that's too heavy to be loaded normally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DikEDcM7eIs

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Wouldn't it require deeper harbors and seaports as well?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

Well that sounds bad.

So does Smiley just not exist in this version or something? I believe we're well past the point in the story where he should have been reintroduced (though this comic also doesn't include the intro showing how the Bones got separated in the first place and just cuts straight to Fone meeting Thorn)

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Selachian posted:

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 1/16/77

Absurd though it is, it genuinely makes me happy to see Vera having a good time.

Forum accident posted:

Frank and Ernest

Frank and Ernest seems to be one of those comics that's just some prick going through a pile of old joke books and illustrating them one by one.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Poil posted:

Wouldn't it require deeper harbors and seaports as well?

It's OK, give Frank Sobotka another term as the union chair and he'll get those sons of bitches to dredge the canals and harbors.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Larryb posted:

So does Smiley just not exist in this version or something? I believe we're well past the point in the story where he should have been reintroduced (though this comic also doesn't include the intro showing how the Bones got separated in the first place and just cuts straight to Fone meeting Thorn)
He appears eventually, but isn't anywhere near a main character like in Bone, despite having been around since his childhood Bone comics. Jeff gives a bit of an explainer why he doesn't appear until he does that I'll include when we get there.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

What even is the government structure in Hellworld? Is there an America? Who passed the law to maim all the geese? Why didn't this cause the geese to go into armed revolt? So many questions

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

OneMoreTime posted:

What even is the government structure in Hellworld? Is there an America?

Literally 100% identical to our world in every way down to historical figures and events, except everyone is an animal.

Yes there's an America, and your history books apply 100% to the hellworld's American history to the day.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

never tell me if Holbrook has a Hitler

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Hwurmp posted:

never tell me if Holbrook has a Hitler

Nah it's fine, everything went back to status quo on Saturday's comic.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Literally 100% identical to our world in every way down to historical figures and events, except everyone is an animal.

Yes there's an America, and your history books apply 100% to the hellworld's American history to the day.
Also sometimes the President is a herbivore and just gets killed and eaten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Hostile V posted:

Also sometimes the President is a herbivore and just gets killed and eaten.

what

I presume there was no punishment or comment for the predator besides a very on-the-nose metaphor about politics