Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I inadvertently did the first block of Arqa without Akihiko and he got really sad that I ended up not needing him, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

i'm going through it now and like 80% of the enemies so far are weak to either zio or punches so every fight is just akihiko kills everything and then chugs 5 red bulls

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
i accidentally rushed arqa first thing because i was doing Liz's fortune request but yeah you can definitely just put it off until later.

it'll be way easier since more social links means your Personas will be stronger and even if he had nothing to contribute, Akihiko just being an extra turn to take is still a huge advantage

Gourmet king still sucks but his voice actor sounds like he's having a great time and he did a lil' moonwalk, so i do enjoy him more this time around

still very annoyed MC is locked into baby swords tho, it was one of the worst sequel changes and its even lamer here

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I guess I might be a weirdo in that I actually like Keiske (Fortune). I get that some people find him dull, but I think he's just a sweet guy who is stuck between the expectations of others and reaching a crossroads where your skillsets and passions can take you in opposite directions. It's less someone who's having to overcome his personality disorder or self-destructive behavior like some of the other S. Links that are the worst.
Or maybe I just find myself in his position quite often since I also had both artistic and science/academic things going on, which a lot of society has decided are somehow competing things.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah Keisuke is honestly pretty inoffensive. He’s no diamond in the rough like Naoki in P4, but after like… Kazuichi and Nozomi, he’s fine.

Looking forward to Mamoru to see how he plays out.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
kaz is s tier

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Neeksy posted:

I guess I might be a weirdo in that I actually like Keiske (Fortune). I get that some people find him dull, but I think he's just a sweet guy who is stuck between the expectations of others and reaching a crossroads where your skillsets and passions can take you in opposite directions. It's less someone who's having to overcome his personality disorder or self-destructive behavior like some of the other S. Links that are the worst.
Or maybe I just find myself in his position quite often since I also had both artistic and science/academic things going on, which a lot of society has decided are somehow competing things.

What's funny to me is that while Keisuke is okay, his link was, in hindsight, a preview of what's to come for P4 lmao. Yeah, I get that his arcana is the wheel of fortune, but Keisuke spends most of the link unhappy with what his parents expect him to do and trying to get away from it, only for the link to end with him deciding he's actually fine with it anyway.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Will I date Yukari for the fourth time or try someone new....? Only time will tell.

I don't want to date girls :sigh:

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

amigolupus posted:

What's funny to me is that while Keisuke is okay, his link was, in hindsight, a preview of what's to come for P4 lmao. Yeah, I get that his arcana is the wheel of fortune, but Keisuke spends most of the link unhappy with what his parents expect him to do and trying to get away from it, only for the link to end with him deciding he's actually fine with it anyway.

Kind of? Keisuke starts off resenting that he has no choice in the matter, only to realize that when his father finally allows him to have a full choice, even supporting art (only after winning this contest and getting a study offer) as a career option, it still feels like he's being forced into something but from a different angle. The link also establishes his tendency to look after others as a natural instinct of his, and thus why his eventual choice isn't as much of a "EH, I'll just go with the flow because society demands it" as much as "I don't feel like I can help people with art the same way I can with medicine".

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Stux posted:

i did 2nd block before akihiko on merciless. just for fun. some sort of skill issue youre having or...?

K sure, cool cool

Anyway, yeah Aki shreds this part of the second block and it is hilarious. He also has a “you better loving not use that teleporter to leave” kind of line read, game’s awesome

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
with how rare SP stuff is i feel like part of the struggles some people have is being unwilling to use SP recovery items, esp. earlier on, ive been significanly more liberal with item use this time around and honestly the game is just way easier w/ it

fwiw later soul drops start appearing in destructibles relatively semi-commonly, also it has always seemed like the next dungeon section after you get a companion is tailored to make that companion kick rear end. oh you just got a fire/dark dog, well , everything is weak to fire or dark (mostly dark) now.

I'm enjoying the monad door stuff as another little side challenge, altho the 2nd 'monad dungeon' has some real dicks in it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sloober posted:

with how rare SP stuff is i feel like part of the struggles some people have is being unwilling to use SP recovery items, esp. earlier on, ive been significanly more liberal with item use this time around and honestly the game is just way easier w/ it

fwiw later soul drops start appearing in destructibles relatively semi-commonly, also it has always seemed like the next dungeon section after you get a companion is tailored to make that companion kick rear end. oh you just got a fire/dark dog, well , everything is weak to fire or dark (mostly dark) now.

I'm enjoying the monad door stuff as another little side challenge, altho the 2nd 'monad dungeon' has some real dicks in it

No, Mara is a late game Persona

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

No, Mara is a late game Persona

you son of a bitch!!!!!

(i cant way to make him)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

MechaX posted:

K sure, cool cool

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I really do love Reload's artstyle.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
how can one man be this based

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
id have more respect for tanaka if he reprised his roll as the devil arcana in P4 & P5 like some kind of permanently hosed up snake oil salesman only the main character can fix

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Failboattootoot posted:

I am playing through p3 reloaded and p5r simultaneously because I am a maniac. Or more specifically, my partner watched some p3 and was keen on doing more but I didn't really want to just sit on it and only play when she was available so I'm going to play 5r for her. My question is how much better does the ps5 version run than the ps4 version? I've got the ps4 version and I don't really want to fork out for the ps5 one since it's still full price, but if it runs as buttery smooth as p3 reloaded then I'd probably buy in. For the 3rd time. Like a rube.

PS4 version is capped at 30fps whereas PS5 is capped to 60 with an imperceptible bump in resolution.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Junpei got such a glow-up in battle. Has actual multi damage (both spell and physical), and gets a really early event that ups his Str. I mean everyone got glow-ups, but he's probably the most immediate jump relative to his original version.

A shame Mitsuru lost healing but Rakunda still lets her have utility and gives her I imagine a simple cycle of Rakunda > Mind Charge > Bufudyne > repeat.

The dorm events are probably gonna make NG+ more tolerable since I'm skipping a lot of those mini-events to get more rewarding stat boosting done instead.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Stux posted:

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Stux posted:

:lol:

I now fully understand people's complaints about how spoiled we were by the soundtrack to 5. This one isn't bad, but the soundtrack to 5 was incredible

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

I like that Tanaka is a recognizable (if minor) tv personality and he spends his evenings at a mall scamming $100 bucks a pop from teenagers.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Hilario Baldness posted:

:lol:

I now fully understand people's complaints about how spoiled we were by the soundtrack to 5. This one isn't bad, but the soundtrack to 5 was incredible

this one is significantly better

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Iwatodai Dorm now features objectively better production values and rap but it feels less charming without Lotus Juice screaming through a mouth full of gravel about how he's gonna put you in a trance.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

3’s soundtrack is great but 5’s is still better. It’s not really a big deal when they’re both top notch osts.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Reload version of Want to be Close loving kills it though, pumped to go to school every morning

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
5 is a normies idea of a good soundtrack. 3 is an actually good one. topic locked.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
i'm sorry but if you don't like Rivers In The Desert and Life Will Change you are just beyond help

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Stux posted:

5 is a normies idea of a good soundtrack. 3 is an actually good one. topic locked.

Looks like the normies are right once again

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Stux posted:

What about if P4 has your favorite soundtrack?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Junpei posted:

i'm sorry but if you don't like Rivers In The Desert and Life Will Change you are just beyond help

this is like trying to tlel me taylor swift is better than hanatarash. explaining why you are wrong would be like trying to describe nuclear fission to a goldfish. simply beyond your ken.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i only listen to real music.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

NikkolasKing posted:

What about if P4 has your favorite soundtrack?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Sydin posted:

Iwatodai Dorm now features objectively better production values and rap but it feels less charming without Lotus Juice screaming through a mouth full of gravel about how he's gonna put you in a trance.

That was from a sample CD that a ton of games used back in the day, not from Lotus Juice.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

P3's soundrack (all versions of it) is miles away better than the P5 one though it's not close lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Persona 3.... a sort of "hip hop" game soundtrack.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Saagonsa posted:

P3's soundrack (all versions of it) is miles away better than the P5 one though it's not close lol

I rather like Rivers in the Desert but that's the only standout track for me personally.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
that "shapeshifter" nightime song FTW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTKrmuU0C3s

Saagonsa posted:

That was from a sample CD that a ton of games used back in the day, not from Lotus Juice.

Oh hey there you go, I've been lied to my whole life. Greater point still stands though.