Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

another interesting thing about derek jeter: his calm eyes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
I think we can all agree that Jeter was an all-time great with the stick

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I don't recall anyone ever suggesting by late in Jeter's career that he wasn't an all time great. Just a lot of ridicule of the Established Baseball Media breathlessly giving him credit for everything up to and including the sun rising each morning, and awarding him a pile of gold gloves when both the Advanced Stats and the Eye Test (assuming you're watching something other than how often a dude dives and backhand-jump-throws grounders a real shortstop fields standing still) agree he was pretty consistently the worst fielder in the league among those who played every day at shortstop.

The Advanced Stats and Eye Test also agree that his bat very easily carried his glove and then much more. Having that level of bat at shortstop every day may not be the best favor you can do your pitchers, but it makes building the rest of the roster a hell of a lot easier. In the end the Soulless Computer rates him historically right about the same as Murray Chass does.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

in my opinion, getting rid of the Dinger Machine voids all of his baseball accomplishments and should get him removed from the hall of fame.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making allowances for era differences, Luke Appling was almost certainly the most similar player in history to Jeter. Appling was also a relatively low power/high average hitter with a very long career whose glove could be carried at shortstop by his bat but not much better than that. Appling is a bit ahead of Jeter in [insert your favorite fancystat here], but basically his whole career was pre-integration which brings them to basically even or Jeter a little ahead. Very similar players overall. But hardly anyone who follows baseball even knows who the hell Luke Appling was anymore, whereas I'm very confident that in 2080 everyone who follows baseball will have some idea who Derek Jeter was, because Appling played his whole career for a down-and-out franchise in the WS-only era and never appeared in a postseason game.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

R.D. Mangles posted:

in my opinion, getting rid of the Dinger Machine voids all of his baseball accomplishments and should get him removed from the hall of fame.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Shinjobi posted:

The minor league team in Frisco, TX is surrounded by apartments and I won't lie I wish I could reliably afford one of em in the upper floors. Free games, free occasional fireworks shows, never have to deal with game traffic.

Would suck for pets though.

My buddy literally lived in the outfield of the Lansing Lugnuts for one or two seasons, he loved it

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Well Played Mauer posted:

Other than Arod there isn’t a shortstop you’d rather have on your team in the past 30 years.
and it was the selfless, team-first Arod who moved to 3B so Jeter could stick at SS despite the former being the better defender

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Poque posted:

My buddy literally lived in the outfield of the Lansing Lugnuts for one or two seasons, he loved it

I wanted one of the apartments on the Fort Wayne ballpark so much. The only Sanó home run I ever personally saw hit that building on a roll, after bouncing on the concourse about 410 feet from the plate. Absolutely bananas.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Counter point: Jeter refused to wear a cowboy hat on TV during ALCS game 5, so whose to say if he is really a good player or not.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
did you know jeter was classy enough 2 be a cardinal

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I still don't understand why Jeter decided to be an analyst on TV he seems to despise having to talk on camera.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Dameius posted:

Counter point: Jeter refused to wear a cowboy hat on TV during ALCS game 5, so whose to say if he is really a good player or not.

imagine hating america that much

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

jeter took the dinger sculpture from us. he is history's greatest monster

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Put on the fuckin hat, Jeter you coward

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1755372863043903603

Ugh this guy's gonna hit 30 HR's off the Cubs this year book it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

rickiep00h posted:

I wanted one of the apartments on the Fort Wayne ballpark so much. The only Sanó home run I ever personally saw hit that building on a roll, after bouncing on the concourse about 410 feet from the plate. Absolutely bananas.

At the Pirates' spring stadium, foul balls that make it over the stands behind first base land in a Pizza Hut parking lot, or at least they did 10 years ago. Don't park there.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Dameius posted:

I think that's the most positive thing I've ever read about Derek Jeter the person

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Eat the eggs Derek Jeter

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

Probably :thejoke:, but IIRC Coors already has some of the deepest fences in baseball, which doesn't actually help much because it just makes the outfield huge.

Make the infield bigger then

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Mr. Fix It posted:

ngl, i love renderings of potential baseball stadiums. they make me happy. if only the billionaires would pay for them.

Yeah the Cubs didn't get any public money for their stadium renovations, so Reinsdorf shouldn't expect to get any public money for his stadium, which means he's not gonna build it.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://x.com/shawn_spradling/status/1754895820757840075?s=46&t=EhzTvpa5Lh8bIAryRijIPQ

This is a 100/10 baseball name

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Carlosologist posted:

This is a 100/10 baseball name

brb adding Ichiro to my dynasty fantasy team :smuggo:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Well Played Mauer posted:

Other than Arod there isn’t a shortstop you’d rather have on your team in the past 30 years.

I’ll take Lindor.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Julio Cruz posted:

I’ll take Lindor.

lol lmao

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Ripken Erasure itt

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

lol lmao

Lindor has been at least Jeter's equal through their age 29 seasons.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Lindor has been at least Jeter's equal through their age 30 seasons

Uhhh have you not seen Jeter's wClutch and fHandsome numbers?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Like you can argue one way or the other on who is actually better but they're pretty close as hitters (121ops+ vs 117 for Lindor) while Lindor is easily the superior defender.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Forrest on Fire posted:

Ripken Erasure itt

I assumed he said 'last 30 years' specifically to exclude Ripken, who was still active in 1994 but nearing the end.

Ripken was an awesome defensive shortstop who should have won a bunch of gold gloves. Not bad for a guy who when he started out the only three people on Earth who thought he could play shortstop in the majors were himself, his dad, and Earl Weaver.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Lindor is not as good of a hitter as Jeter was, he just hits some more dingers. His ability to hit for contact is also declining

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
So is Bellinger gonna pull a Kimbrel and hold out into the start of the season until he gets the contract he wants?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Lindor has been at least Jeter's equal through their age 29 seasons.

lol yankee hate is a mental illness

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

lol yankee hate is a mental illness

This has nothing to do with Yankee hate and more to do with "stats" and "numbers"

I'd say Nomar was Jeter's equal through the same number of seasons but then he fell off a cliff and died forever.

Part of Jeter's greatness is that he played at a high level as a SS through his age 35 season, which doesn't happen almost ever.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

This has nothing to do with Yankee hate and more to do with "stats" and "numbers"

I'd say Nomar was Jeter's equal through the same number of seasons but then he fell off a cliff and died forever.

Part of Jeter's greatness is that he played at a high level as a SS through his age 35 season, which doesn't happen almost ever.

Why you gotta bring up Nomar like that?

I thought he was THE piece we needed in 2004 and then his groin exploded in 2005

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

SIGN CODY BELLINGER NOW!!!!!

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

R.D. Mangles posted:

This guy gets it

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Nodoze posted:

Lindor is not as good of a hitter as Jeter was, he just hits some more dingers. His ability to hit for contact is also declining

One weird trick to being a good hitter

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If the Yankees were smart they would call up Snell and offer him 70x2. They aren't smart though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

R.D. Mangles posted:

More and more people are saying this