Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Whelp. Decided to watch monarch yesterday. It was solidly ok-ish Not nearly enough kaiju action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Vinylshadow posted:

Would you believe us if we said it actually makes sense in context?

I would. I know that the gist of Singular Point is that it's written from the view of people crazy enough to actually calculate the math and physics of how a creature like Godzilla could even function. That answer therefore explains the entire mindset of everything behind the show.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Nikumatic posted:

If you started with Shin, 1954 and Minus One are the obvious next steps. Legendary 2014 Godzilla if you wanna check out the American side of things. If you want to get into the goofier monster-mash stuff, I would just pick whichever villain monster looks coolest to you and jump right in.

I wish I could watch Minus One but it did not air in cinemas where I live and seems the Blu-Ray is not out yet

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Usually Japan releases Blu-Rays a LONG time after a theater run. I’m really hoping that since it went gangbusters around the world that they will strike while the iron is hot and release it (outside of Japan through licenses) by this summer

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Arc Hammer posted:

I would. I know that the gist of Singular Point is that it's written from the view of people crazy enough to actually calculate the math and physics of how a creature like Godzilla could even function. That answer therefore explains the entire mindset of everything behind the show.

The writer of Singular Point wrote a book from the point of view of a morphism. It's called Boy's Surface, which is the also the name of this shape which feature heavily in the plot

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I won't say it redeemed the entire series, but I yelled with joy when Godzilla used his beautiful, more flamey atomic breath a la 2014 in Monarch.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah Singular Point seems to be pretty polarizing with G fans. I absolutely loved it and honestly having the 2 primary characters being neurodivergent was a huge plus for me. I loved the strange science and of course Jet Jaguar's evolution.. My only complaint (which is more of a personal desire) is that it needed more time focusing on Godzilla Terrestris- I fukkin' loved that snake-headed rear end in a top hat.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The streak of “drat this Godzilla breath attack owns” has been amazing so far. G14 had a great moment, Shin’s was so terrifying and over the top, then Minus One was just monstrous and such a whiplash. As a fan, I always get hype when Godzilla gets to show off, but the Ginza attack was so mean spirited, purposeful in hurting people, and definitive in just how absolute it was in wiping the town, killing tens of thousands it just knocked me on my rear end. To then have a literal ash rain cover everything was just somber as hell.

We went and saw Godzilla Minus One last week and the Ginza scene was just terrifying. A few years back my partner & I visited Hiroshima, and the museum there has a whole section about the black rain that followed the bombing, including a bunch of items still stained from it. Was not expecting a black rain scene in a Godzilla movie and not gonna lie it hit me pretty loving hard.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1755244252102054308?t=Jd9ONW9wJutV69uq1fHKJw&s=19

Nice Chinese new year poster

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/Mesosoic/status/1755315006172729818?t=cnaQL2lDNMW610QsVTfYwg&s=19

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

:unsmith:

edit: here's the interview minus the paywall: http://archive.today/Zukn1

And another interview with him about the movie overall: http://archive.today/67xEv

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 8, 2024

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Vinylshadow posted:

Would you believe us if we said it actually makes sense in context?

I watched that show and no it definitely did not lol

E: I didn't like it too much. It focused on the robot AI stuff more than anything else, like characterization, plotting, Godzilla

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Shageletic posted:

I watched that show and no it definitely did not lol

No it made sense. Bioluminescent cells produce a small amount of light. That light moves forward in time, the way everything does. But what Godzilla did was trap the light in a time loop. So the light moves forward in time, but then it starts moving backwards in time. The bioluminescent cells are still producing the same amount of light, but we see double that amount because we are seeing the same light twice.

But once the light, now moving backwards, hits the beginning, it then loops back around and starts moving forwards in time again. So, still the same amount of light, but we're seeing it three times. When it hits the end, it loops back around. We're seeing it four times. And so on, and so on, until there's enough light present at the same time to be a laser beam that cuts through buildings.

Here's a couple engineers explaining the same concept

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fkj6m8-Rg0Y

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It's not that Singular Point's fantasy-science can't make sense, but that the show itself isn't actually about that. They're just like "kaiju can do impossible things, so here's one that can predict the future and another that has infinite energy", and so-on. There's not really a point where 'doing the math' would add clarity to the proceedings - and, really, the easiest way to 'get' the show is in terms of myth: prophecies, apocalyptic monsters, oceans turning red, etc.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Singular Point not only plays the Totally Spies laser pointer mirror scene completely straight but it has a conference room of physicists soberly discuss it's implications. It's a great time, but you do have to be cool with that.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 8, 2024

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The focus on impossible science does allow the show to have a downright irresponsible concentration of mad scientists, which is a plus in basically any circumstance.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's not that Singular Point's fantasy-science can't make sense, but that the show itself isn't actually about that. They're just like "kaiju can do impossible things, so here's one that can predict the future and another that has infinite energy", and so-on. There's not really a point where 'doing the math' would add clarity to the proceedings - and, really, the easiest way to 'get' the show is in terms of myth: prophecies, apocalyptic monsters, oceans turning red, etc.

The show isn't about the math, but they wouldn't spend so much time on the math if it didn't really matter. You're right that you are supposed to understand the events through the lens of myth. That's made clear by the repeated focus on the mural depicting everything in mythical terms. But the math conversations are equally important. That's why they also get a ton of screen time. They are another lens through which you can see the events. The two lenses aren't contradictory, you can look through both of them simultaneously.

A major part of the show is people holding on to different parts of the elephant. It's not until they can put together all the parts that Jet Jaguar can save the day.

I don't think you need to understand the math, lord knows I didn't. But you do need to accept that the math is there and is internally consistent.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Gripweed posted:

No it made sense. Bioluminescent cells produce a small amount of light. That light moves forward in time, the way everything does. But what Godzilla did was trap the light in a time loop. So the light moves forward in time, but then it starts moving backwards in time. The bioluminescent cells are still producing the same amount of light, but we see double that amount because we are seeing the same light twice.

But once the light, now moving backwards, hits the beginning, it then loops back around and starts moving forwards in time again. So, still the same amount of light, but we're seeing it three times. When it hits the end, it loops back around. We're seeing it four times. And so on, and so on, until there's enough light present at the same time to be a laser beam that cuts through buildings.

This sounds like exactly what I hated about the Three Body Problem: made-up fake science explained in painstakingly technical detail.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
It's the same urge to systematize and apply a taxonomy to everything that gave us Wookiepedia, except instead of being safely contained in weird online fandom spaces, it's right there in the primary text. You have to admire the efficiency, if nothing else. :v:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Here's a couple engineers explaining the same concept

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fkj6m8-Rg0Y

lol are you taking the piss? Primer is pseudo-science mumbo jumbo spoken quicklys. Primer owns tho, because its all in the service of its sweat drenched paranoia that it excels at. One difference btw the two is that Singular Point seemed to spend alot of time with characters texting each other mumbo jumbo, and seemed to take itself alot more serious. Science in most movies is a macguffin for the plot. With Singular Point feels like the writers seemed to be too enthralled with their own science fan-fic to really attempt anything else.

I liked that old guy with the robot tho.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Muscle Tracer posted:

This sounds like exactly what I hated about the Three Body Problem: made-up fake science explained in painstakingly technical detail.

It's the Kojima problem. All this made up poo poo that is deadly serious and explained in insane detail. Not for everyone - including me.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Shageletic posted:

lol are you taking the piss? Primer is pseudo-science mumbo jumbo spoken quicklys. Primer owns tho, because its all in the service of its sweat drenched paranoia that it excels at. One difference btw the two is that Singular Point seemed to spend alot of time with characters texting each other mumbo jumbo, and seemed to take itself alot more serious. Science in most movies is a macguffin for the plot. With Singular Point feels like the writers seemed to be too enthralled with their own science fan-fic to really attempt anything else.

I liked that old guy with the robot tho.

I'm pretty sure the time travel described in Primer, at least in broad strokes, is not scientifically impossible. but it's like at the level of a particle, not a whole guy.

Either way, it is internally consistent and makes sense in context.

Vintersorg posted:

It's the Kojima problem. All this made up poo poo that is deadly serious and explained in insane detail. Not for everyone - including me.

You mean the Kojima really really good thing

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Gripweed posted:

I'm pretty sure the time travel described in Primer, at least in broad strokes, is not scientifically impossible. but it's like at the level of a particle, not a whole guy.

Either way, it is internally consistent and makes sense in context.

You mean the Kojima really really good thing

This is why I still say that Singular Point is the most polarizing Godzilla since Final Wars.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
https://mondoshop.com/products/godzilla-minus-one-poster

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Muscle Tracer posted:

but three body problem is also badly written, with deranged and poorly conceived characters and politics and a nice spoonful of misogyny

singular point is pretty decent definitely should not be compared to 3bp

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Looks sick

https://x.com/mondonews/status/1755653553438302322?s=57&t=Hnw2jzlgbMmRtwBud7jTvw

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Does it? I honestly think it looks like a heavily filtered photoshop of stills from the film.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If I wasn’t dead set on grabbing the Minus One Minus Color poster I’d go for it.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Vintersorg posted:

Thing is Kojima takes it to a high camp level, which makes it good again. "NANOMACHINES, SON" is one of the greatest lines in all of gaming and it is dumb as hell.

DeimosRising posted:

but three body problem is also badly written, with deranged and poorly conceived characters and politics and a nice spoonful of misogyny

singular point is pretty decent definitely should not be compared to 3bp

Haven't seen Singular Point, just comparing them on the one attribute. I would pray that nothing is as bad as 3BP and still be beloved, but, well... 3BP is pretty beloved too.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'd really love for the Singular Point sequel to be made, especially with the after credits scene from the final episode revealing Mecha Godzilla being made.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

My 3yo loves playing "dinosaur family"

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

:3:

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If I wasn’t dead set on grabbing the Minus One Minus Color poster I’d go for it.

You deserve neither

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
https://twitter.com/sleepiestZilla/status/1755373256121504244

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1757073029237264497?t=2YV95aiN-6bHOsSG-x-bpw&s=19

Got me thinking. Godzilla has never fought a Sphinx-styled monster before has he?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1757073029237264497?t=2YV95aiN-6bHOsSG-x-bpw&s=19

Got me thinking. Godzilla has never fought a Sphinx-styled monster before has he?

King Cesar is sorta close?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I think King Caesar is derived from a suanni / shisa, e.g. a temple guardian lion. So at least he shares some animal components with a sphinx.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think King Caesar is derived from a suanni / shisa, e.g. a temple guardian lion. So at least he shares some animal components with a sphinx.

That’s absolutely correct: King Caesar’s first appearance was on Okinawa, where Shisa are common

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

King Caesar sounds like King Shiisaa in Japanese also, intentionally so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

There's stories out right now saying it's gonna be a buddy cop style meeting ala Lethal Weapon.

What is this movie gonna be.