Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
MTG: in-dic-ta-ble
Boebart: Imma pull that dick

Hell yeah snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

What I am getting from this is that I want 6 more justices of the caliber of Kagan, Sotomayor and Jackson. Not because they're "liberal" but because they are really fuckin smart and good at their jobs.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

"It's not an insurrection because it had to be carefully planned." And we all know Trump isn't capable of careful planning. :v:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Your Honor, my client is too incompetent to organize an insurrection.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Hazo posted:

Still amazes me that after Ginsberg died he was like “well I know I said under no circumstances should a new justice be appointed in an election year, much less two months from the election, but this is different because… I dunno, I said so” and people weren’t rioting outside congress.

I guess the people who cared were too tired from their summer of slaughtering entire police departments and razing major cities to rubble.

Because literally no one took it seriously when he made that argument in the first place. Everyone knew the reason for blocking Obama was "because I can." Not a single person in the universe thought Mitch was holding up some principle.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Youth Decay posted:

What I am getting from this is that I want 6 more justices of the caliber of Kagan, Sotomayor and Jackson. Not because they're "liberal" but because they are really fuckin smart and good at their jobs.

Absolutely, it's cliche but it's obvious they've had to work twice as hard for half the recognition.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Youth Decay posted:

The Constitution is a living document, and they are doing their Oath-sworn part to keep it alive. The others are would be murders of the same.

gwarm01
Apr 27, 2010

I love that Jackson got Trump's lawyer to agree that it would be an insurrection if there was proof that it was organized. The Jan 6th case is easily going to prove that because there is such a long trail of evidence that Trump and his team organized the event, from bringing in the rioters/Proud Boys/Oathkeepers, Trump sending them to the capitol, and the entire false electors plot. Honestly, the false electors plot is the real smoking gun in my opinion. The violent riot was just there to apply pressure. The real coup was going to be the false electors.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Grey Cat posted:

You've been convicted of arson so we won't hire you as a firefighter, but you could be able to be the fire chief.

Judging by C-suites and general incompetence of leadership in the US, this kinda tracks.

Idiots like Eddie Lampert somehow are able to run every business they touch into the ground and waltz back up to a directorship position shortly thereafter.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Barrett is definitely skeptical. I'm reading Gorsuch and Kavanaugh saying "give us something to work with here" and I'm not sure the lawyer is doing it

yeah Gorsuch and Beer want to cover for trump on this but they want to do it on some legal cover or basis but the chuds are too dumb/in their own paracosim to be able to make an argument.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Random Stranger posted:

"It's not an insurrection because it had to be carefully planned." And we all know Trump isn't capable of careful planning. :v:

Shays rebellion and the Whiskey rebellion weren't organized but they were certainly insurrections against the sitting government

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

THE LIBERAL ANTIFA SUPREME COURT

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

So Thomas's argument here is because this hasn't come up before it doesn't count?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Waffle House posted:

THE LIBERAL ANTIFA SUPREME COURT
what did mitchell just say that?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

gwarm01 posted:

I love that Jackson got Trump's lawyer to agree that it would be an insurrection if there was proof that it was organized. The Jan 6th case is easily going to prove that because there is such a long trail of evidence that Trump and his team organized the event, from bringing in the rioters/Proud Boys/Oathkeepers, Trump sending them to the capitol, and the entire false electors plot. Honestly, the false electors plot is the real smoking gun in my opinion. The violent riot was just there to apply pressure. The real coup was going to be the false electors.

thats what it always was, it chud rebellion was mostly as lovely "put pressure on them" tactic mixed with trump thinking it would be the end of a adam sandler movie. i dont think he FULLY grasped how bad it was gonna get, but i also think he didnt care.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

kazil posted:

So Thomas's argument here is because this hasn't come up before it doesn't count?

Sounds like.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

kazil posted:

yeah, he's fishing for an example of a state denying access to a national candidate, and the attorney correctly pointed out elections didn't work that way

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Thomas seems to have a real problem with understanding that things have changed in 150 years.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Sounds like he’s a loving moron yeah

Random Stranger posted:

Thomas seems to have a real problem with understanding

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Should I get excited for trump to get dunked on or is this an unlikely outcome.

FlashFearless
Nov 4, 2004
Death. But not for you, Gunslinger. Never for you.

Random Stranger posted:

Thomas Conservatives seems to have a real problem with understanding that things have changed in 150 years.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Tai posted:

It's unlikely Trump gets dumped on. He may, but it's unlikely.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Tai posted:

It really doesn't sound like his lawyers have much of an argument.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Breaking News:

https://twitter.com/metzgov/status/1755610371409559805

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Right now it sounds like the conservative judges are questioning if States have the right to disqualify a national candidate

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Tai posted:

You’re expecting one of the Justices who overturned Roe v Wade to apply a logical conclusion to “their” guy.

They’re disingenuous snakes.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Random Stranger posted:

Thomas seems to have a real problem with understanding that things have changed in 150 years.

Eh, "textualism" is total bullshit that discredits itself. They only pretend to not understand things have changed when it's convenient for their current argument and it immediately goes away when they want to argue something else.

So, Republicans.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Tai posted:

Unlikely? Yes

loving hilarious if it actually happens? Also yes.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

kazil posted:

Right now it sounds like the conservative judges are questioning if States have the right to disqualify a national candidate

It's rich for the states rights people to suddenly be very concerned about whether or not states have rights.

Explodingdice
Jun 28, 2023

Three days until he says he's autist-ic. Not actually autistic, but he feels a great admiration and sense of community with people with autism.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Grey Cat posted:

Imagine being a stupid as poo poo confederate, and hundreds of years later people are still talking about you being stupid as poo poo in a case of some other guy being stupid as poo poo.

This is pretty drat lol though honestly

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

kazil posted:

He is also wrong about this from what I understand because the Whiskey Rebellion is an example of this happening. But that's not going to stop him from ruling in the most insane and corrupt way that ignores precedent anyway.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Shays rebellion and the Whiskey rebellion weren't organized but they were certainly insurrections against the sitting government

Ah didn't know about Shays rebellion time to start doing some reading.

Vire fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 8, 2024

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

kazil posted:

...that seems obvious, each state has its own individual process, and IMO should be vigilant on that count.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Tai posted:

its possible. trumps lawyers are doing a publically lovely job. they arnt using the wiggle room that the Tunons would feel comfortable signing off on. I think its like 60/40 they rule that he can't be remoeved unless convicted.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

You’re expecting one of the Justices who overturned Roe v Wade to apply a logical conclusion to “their” guy.

They’re disingenuous snakes.

What's going to be extra fun about this is that they'll reject Colorado's argument and they'll find new depths of distrust and disapproval of SCOTUS by the American people. The public's trust in SCOTUS is already at a historic low of 41% approval and 58% disapproval, so let's see what happens when they clear a literal insurrectionist for the presidency!

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Kagan is trying to find some sort of argument that'll pull a majority and she might have found it, seeing how Barrett and Gorsuch picked up on it

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

If he's going to fake a pregnancy he needs to tuck the pillow underneath his shirt

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Serious_Cyclone posted:

If he's going to fake a pregnancy he needs to tuck the pillow underneath his shirt

I'm pregnant-ish.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

kazil posted:

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding!
Gering-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding!
Gering-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

funeral home DJ posted:

What's going to be extra fun about this is that they'll reject Colorado's argument and they'll find new depths of distrust and disapproval of SCOTUS by the American people. The public's trust in SCOTUS is already at a historic low of 41% approval and 58% disapproval, so let's see what happens when they clear a literal insurrectionist for the presidency!

i think the big dip is if they rule in favor of trump on the immunity poo poo(they wont pick it up) but yeah.