Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/GundamBro/status/1755033808636727344?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Before:

After: (a whole bunch of Thruster Bits).

Also realized I could make the shoulder shields a bit more dynamically poseable with some of those c-joint hinge-y bits that're in literally every accessory set.

Also you really get a lot of little various thrusters in just one of those sets, I've still got a whole other full set and-a-half of thruster cones, angled thrusters, and little flat thruster nozzles to put on another kit of mine. Highly recommended kibble set, 10/10.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/1755141927115391464?t=qf7U0U8R5n9AXjseCL9grg&s=19

Official release. Pre-orders on Feb 8.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Fuuuck, I was fine (okay not fine but I accepted it!) with those other two Lfrith variants being P-Bandai because if they're not from the anime then they don't count, to me. But drat it I NEED that prototype Lfrith! P-Bandai still doesn't sell to Canada, do they?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Pierson posted:

I would say unless you really want it in 1/100 scale the RG Unicorn is just straight-up better than the MG. Even with the updated OVA version changes you can barely get any poses out of it. The RG has better articulation on basically all joints.

This applies to the Ver.KA Mg?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005QKF860

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
According to Dalong the Full Armor Ver Ka. uses the updated OVA mold so this is about the best it can do:

And no tilting of the waist and no extending of the shoulders either.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

then i'll just have to skip right to perfect grade if i want another rx-0

:hmmyes:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The MGEX has a good range of motion.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

El Burbo posted:

And only the price of a perfect grade!

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

El Burbo posted:

Moonwalk Gundam

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I love the idea of the MGEX Unicorn but £220 is just too much for a single model.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Deviant posted:

i want another rx-0

:hmmyes:

I understand these words independently, but you've arranged them in a way that doesn't appear to make sense in the English language.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Working on the Koto AC reissue and I've got some parts that have fitting issues (garbage polycaps) and a seamline straight down the middle of the part along a sharp edge. Closing the line with cement for structural integrity and looks is a given, but what about cleaning the edge? Current train of thought is sanding sponges up each side to "shave" the excess in either direction without sanding down the edge. It's a Koto kit, there are a few parts with this problem but the biggest one is the thighs. You can see the edge running straight down the middle, and the assembly is one massive panel line on that edge:

I can't really use rigid sanding supplies because the surface is curved, but if I use anything flat to sand the filled seam I'm going to wear down the edge.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Buck Wildman posted:

Moonwalk Gundam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl8nAQ3reBo

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ver Ka was the first MG Unicorn.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Deviant posted:

And only the price of a perfect grade!

I'm scratching my head about this one right now. Does the MGEX include full armor parts or something? I thought MGEX was supposed to be like halfway to PG from MG or something?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
It has a really complicated lighting setup. IIRC it's fairly easy to break that.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It's also just an enormous amount of plastic. The suit itself which is already a unique build and so needed new molds, three copies of the shield, a massive MG-sized hanger action base, and the various holders and struts for the suit and shield.

Warmachine posted:

I'm scratching my head about this one right now. Does the MGEX include full armor parts or something? I thought MGEX was supposed to be like halfway to PG from MG or something?
Not really. The thing about MGEX is taking a single aspect of a suit and taking it as far as possible. For the Unicorn it was 'lighting' and fitting an LED setup inside an MG-sized model for Destroy mode, and for the Strike-Freedom it was 'plating' using multiple kinds of plating technique for the metallic parts. There hasn't been any more MGEXs probably because it's hard to figure out what else you can take to the extreme to justify it, so to speak. Some people think the next MGEX might be some form of Exia, using the new colour-shifting plastic they're using for the Build Burning to simulate trans-am mode.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Feb 8, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Pierson posted:

Not really. The thing about MGEX is taking a single aspect of a suit and taking it as far as possible. For the Unicorn it was 'lighting' and fitting an LED setup inside an MG-sized model for Destroy mode, and for the Strike-Freedom it was 'plating' using multiple kinds of plating technique for the metallic parts. There hasn't been any more MGEXs probably because it's hard to figure out what else you can take to the extreme to justify it, so to speak. Some people think the next MGEX might be some form of Exia, using the new colour-shifting plastic they're using for the Build Burning to simulate trans-am mode.

color shift you say...

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
On the subject of Seed, what is the best version of the Destiny Gundam itself these days?

I almost never see the master grade online

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

MechaX posted:

On the subject of Seed, what is the best version of the Destiny Gundam itself these days?

I've heard the 2019 HG version is really good, but I haven't built it myself

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Pierson posted:

So the extreme gimmick of the g self would be existing?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

MechaX posted:

Probably Daban's KO of the Metal Build Destiny, just converted to a model kit.

https://www.gundammodelcenter.com/daban-8828-destiny-wingoflight-modelkit

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Azubah posted:

So the extreme gimmick of the g self would be existing?

I think a proper G-Self, on top of lighting, would really benefit from some kind of pearlescent finish. It always seemed shiny to me, but not in a metallic way.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/gsc_mechasmile/status/1755614965795582049?t=UN28oP9ZCQTlmErNEyvpsg&s=19

Bravern kit to be revealed at Wonder Fest on Feb 11.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Any suggestions for gunpla display that isn't a fuckoff huge BLALIDEN Ikea cabinet? That's a bit too large for like, 12 1/144 gundams

Also, has anyone in USA got their MODEROID Ordine yet?

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Any suggestions for gunpla display that isn't a fuckoff huge BLALIDEN Ikea cabinet? That's a bit too large for like, 12 1/144 gundams

Also, has anyone in USA got their MODEROID Ordine yet?

If you want to go at the individual scale some of these might work for you: https://www.containerstore.com/s?q=display

Depending on what you want to fit, this may have solid dimensions: https://www.containerstore.com/s/office/craft-hobby/acrylic-plush-toy-premium-display-cube/12d?productId=11004072

I bought a number of these years ago to display LEGO minifigs and they look and work great.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I don't know how long it's been. But I finished the mechanical build of my MGEX Freedom. Finally.

At least there's not 1209381083102983 decals.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Pierson posted:

It's also just an enormous amount of plastic. The suit itself which is already a unique build and so needed new molds, three copies of the shield, a massive MG-sized hanger action base, and the various holders and struts for the suit and shield.

That kinda makes me want to get it. I looked at some pictures and it looks like the color of the psychoframe comes from the LEDs themselves? I like that since for the show when the psychoframe was "off" it was gray.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yeah the psychoframe has green and red settings shining through clear plastic and they're good-quality too, better than the PG Unicorn I'd say: https://youtu.be/nwB33tDgBtk?t=1730. I'm always incredibly tempted since I love the Unicorn but I already have a LED-based project in the backlog (FM Aerial + Kosmos kit).

Pierson fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Feb 9, 2024

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Gripweed posted:

I think a proper G-Self, on top of lighting, would really benefit from some kind of pearlescent finish. It always seemed shiny to me, but not in a metallic way.

The moonlight butterfly version of turn a has that pearlescent finish. It’s subtle, but very cool.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
The LEDs on my MGEX randomly stopped working and from what I've gathered this also happened to a lot of other people as well.
The lighting ist beautiful while it works but when it breaks it is just a very expensive MG. Would recommend to avoid.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Zodack posted:

Working on the Koto AC reissue and I've got some parts that have fitting issues (garbage polycaps) and a seamline straight down the middle of the part along a sharp edge. Closing the line with cement for structural integrity and looks is a given, but what about cleaning the edge? Current train of thought is sanding sponges up each side to "shave" the excess in either direction without sanding down the edge. It's a Koto kit, there are a few parts with this problem but the biggest one is the thighs. You can see the edge running straight down the middle, and the assembly is one massive panel line on that edge:

I can't really use rigid sanding supplies because the surface is curved, but if I use anything flat to sand the filled seam I'm going to wear down the edge.

Why not just wrap a bit of sandpaper around a rod for a rounded sander? if its too rigid you could even just make a small roll of sandpaper so its a little flexible and wont take off too much material.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Are you suggesting sanding with the round rod on the edges of the parts? I should have circled the seam on the thighs in the picture. Running it across the ridge using the rounded edge to not pull too much material off its neighbors? I'll mock one up and try it out.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah. It looks like a super annoying part to sand though.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
The whole assembly is garbage, to be honest. It has almost no tension and clamshells three other parts, relying on Koto's old garbage polycaps to keep the piece together. One of my two assemblies is loose because the polycap is that bad even with some shaving. It's a really cool kit, though. Makes we wish Koto had some more kids from the AC3 era. Kind of wondering where the supposed AC6 kits are at.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zodack posted:

The whole assembly is garbage, to be honest. It has almost no tension and clamshells three other parts, relying on Koto's old garbage polycaps to keep the piece together. One of my two assemblies is loose because the polycap is that bad even with some shaving. It's a really cool kit, though. Makes we wish Koto had some more kids from the AC3 era. Kind of wondering where the supposed AC6 kits are at.

Coming from Bandai as a 30MM line this year.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I wonder how complex the ac6 kits will be since they're 30mm branded. 30mm kits are simpler than HGs.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
30MM makes up for simplicity with modularity, which makes them ideal for Armored Core. And it also lets them sell you gimmicks as expansion sets rather than needing to reinvent the wheel with each full model release.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Cool, I should be getting my moon gundam by the end of the month. Still no word on my recirculation aeriel though.