Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

njsykora posted:

Sunshine is slightly better to my eyes, and supports AV1 encoding as well.

Yeah it actually supports a bunch of different encoding options that game stream didn't iirc

Plus you get crazy control over what it does, but I'm a huge dummy and the defaults look great to my eyes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

njsykora posted:

Sunshine is slightly better to my eyes, and supports AV1 encoding as well.

dang, Shield TV doesnt support AV1 decode though. is there any tv box that does support AV1 decode that isnt like an x86 minipc?

really disappointing that Nvidia abandoned the Shield. im still holding out stupid hope that they use Orin to make a new shield but i think that market is truly dead for them.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cygni posted:

dang, Shield TV doesnt support AV1 decode though. is there any tv box that does support AV1 decode that isnt like an x86 minipc?

https://www.androidauthority.com/chromecast-with-google-tv-hd-review-3212021/

The $30 Chromecast has AV1 decode.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

whoa, good to know!

still some things about the shield i would miss (nvidia upscaler mostly), and my hate of google gives me pause about giving them money or data again as I try to purge them from my life, but thats a good option for a lot of people i bet

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

FuzzySlippers posted:

Considering the broken pcie latch doesn’t seem to be an issue for even the heavy rear end 4080 then perhaps it was a blessing to break it and avoid further loving with it

Yeah I broke mine when trying to get my 3080 to do some upgrades and it didn't seem to matter at all.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Cygni posted:

my hate of google gives me pause about giving them money or data again as I try to purge them from my life

Then spend less money and use the $20 Onn 4K box from Walmart instead, or any Fire Stick with "Max" in the name.

You're good as long as you don't use Apple. Or Roku (I keep forgetting they're a thing.)

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Craptacular! posted:

You're good as long as you don't use Apple. Or Roku (I keep forgetting they're a thing.)

What’s wrong with Apple (besides the walled garden) and Roku?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Canned Sunshine posted:

What’s wrong with Apple (besides the walled garden) and Roku?

The current Apple TV doesn't have AV1 support, the next revision probably will since the most recent M chips and iPhones do. Roku I expect will never have AV1 support because after having Roku as my TV's OS for a few years I'm not convinced anyone at Roku knows what a video file is.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

njsykora posted:

The current Apple TV doesn't have AV1 support, the next revision probably will since the most recent M chips and iPhones do. Roku I expect will never have AV1 support because after having Roku as my TV's OS for a few years I'm not convinced anyone at Roku knows what a video file is.

Ah, that makes sense, thank you!

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Is there a generally preferred place to put your gpu support? I always saw the (assuming a standard atx layout) right corner opposite the motherboard was the optimal spot, but I see more people than not using the right motherboard side corner instead and I even got a bracket with my o11 evo case that screws right into the motherboard standoffs but I opted to not use it because it seemed to me that supporting the gpu on the inside wouldn't fully relieve the torque on the slot, but perhaps I'm just overthinking things, inside certainly would be easier and more convenient especially on the o11 with bottom fans.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 7, 2024

Khorne
May 1, 2002

runaway dog posted:

Is there a generally preferred place to put your gpu support? I always saw the (assuming a standard atx layout) right corner opposite the motherboard was the optimal spot, but I see more people than not using the right motherboard side corner instead and I even got a bracket with my o11 evo case that screws right into the motherboard standoffs but I opted to not use it because it seemed to me that supporting the gpu on the inside wouldn't fully relieve the torque on the slot, but perhaps I'm just overthinking things, inside certainly would be easier and more convenient especially on the o11 with bottom fans.
The main risk is the board overflexing and breaking connections with components (in particular the larger chip components).

It's enough for it to be close to the motherboard. Especially if it has a backplate. Realistically, a lot of people use these gpus with no gpu support and don't run into issues. At least not during the warranty period. It increases risk, especially over longer time periods.

Most of the time the components are closer to the pcie slot or halfway on the board & that's where flex is the biggest risk. Additionally, the biggest contributor to flex is the part farthest from the pcie slot/nearest support. So propping it up anywhere on the right side, or at least halfway between the pcie slot end and right side, should help significantly and where it is on the right side is relatively minor in comparison.

e: some of the older gpus had no backplate and beefy coolers and would flex across like you're thinking. Back then supports didn't come with the motherboard or gpu. I remember using razor cartridges to prop up the "outside" part of cards in the early '10s. They weren't even long then so the right side wasn't a concern.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 7, 2024

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Khorne posted:

realistically a lot of people use these gpus with no gpu support and don't run into issues. At least not during the warranty period.

God this is going to make buying used 40-series cards such a loving minefield.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cyrano4747 posted:

“Was always vertically mounted” will be the new “only driven by a little old lady on Sundays”

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Khorne posted:

The main risk is the board overflexing and breaking connections with components (in particular the larger chip components).

It's enough for it to be close to the motherboard. Especially if it has a backplate. Realistically, a lot of people use these gpus with no gpu support and don't run into issues. At least not during the warranty period. It increases risk, especially over longer time periods.

Most of the time the components are closer to the pcie slot or halfway on the board & that's where flex is the biggest risk. Additionally, the biggest contributor to flex is the part far from the pcie slot/nearest support. So propping it up anywhere on the right side should help significantly and where it is on the right side is relatively minor in comparison.

There's a lot of really sick individuals out there. I bet there are people that use that one daisy chained 8+8pin pci-e plug you always get with your PSU too, makes me sick just thinking about it.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Cyrano4747 posted:

As long as the used card works and you use a support I'd expect it to keep working.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Nice Signalrgb finally got support for the Tuf 4080 Super, I can stop putting a ps4 game in front of the glass at night

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
My 4070s arrived to replace my spontaneously dead 3080 ti. And after messing with dlss3 in Cyberpunk... I am a believer. This poo poo is black magic. Though I can spot the disocclusion artifacts if I look for them, but everything else is enough of a win that I am not bothered by it.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
All this talk about the large size of modern GPUs and the issues caused by it really makes me wonder why all-in-one water cooler GPUs haven't taken off. Only the smallest of modern cases don't have support for at least 240mm AIO coolers and they're clearly not that much more expensive judging by the CPU cooler market. AIO water cooling seems like a better fit for GPUs than CPUs honestly.

My current 3090 is an AIO model, which is mostly a coincidence as it just happened to be what popped into stock at a "decent" price during the dark days of the pandemic where even finding GPUs in stock was difficult. It's been great though, runs cooler and quieter than the 1080ti it replaced and there's plenty of room in my case, especially since I'm running an AIO on the CPU too.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
when liquid cooling a cpu, all you have to cool is the chip. when liquid cooling a gpu, there's also memory and potentially other parts that also need to be cooled. that's a lot more complications than just the cpu.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
AIO CPU water coolers can be A Thing because the CPU and the CPU socket are generally standardized enough that you can sell the cooler apart from the CPU and whoever wants to buy one for their CPU, can buy just the AIO

no such standardization exists for GPUs:

- you can make a stand-alone cooler, but you have to specify that it only works for this particular model of GPU (usually the Founder's Edition, since the AIO manufacturer has the expectation that there might be enough of those floating around to make it potentially worthwhile). It also has to be said that GPUs typically aren't designed for their coolers to be taken out and replaced with a new one, so there's a non-trivially higher chance of bricking your components doing this, than the equivalent of replacing a CPU air cooler with an AIO

- you can make a whole GPU that already is water-cooled out of the box, soup to nuts, to guarantee that everything fits together - the PCB with the AIO, but then you're absorbing the cost of both the GPU itself, on top of the cooler, which is a big step up from a cooler manufacturer selling just coolers

both types of products exist, but there are so many caveats, is why it hasn't taken off (and notwithstanding that even AIO water coolers for CPUs are themselves a niche product for enthusiasts)

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I adapted the evga aio kit to a non evga 2080 (gigabyte) because the cooler on it was lovely and gigabyte was being lovely about it and there weren’t a lot of other options.

The process to make it work required a lot of effort and hacking, but it’s been running cool and quiet since then. I’d love to buy an aio cooled gpu ootb in the future, but they are rare and usually stupidly expensive way beyond any reasonable up charge for the extra parts and effort for the aio. Presumably they are just targeting the gimme the best market with them.

Maybe it’ll become more mundane eventually.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Twibbit posted:

My 4070s arrived to replace my spontaneously dead 3080 ti. And after messing with dlss3 in Cyberpunk... I am a believer. This poo poo is black magic. Though I can spot the disocclusion artifacts if I look for them, but everything else is enough of a win that I am not bothered by it.

It is even possible for a 3080 ti to be out of warranty? Aren't they mostly 3 years?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Wondering whether you could dip a GPU into some kind of paste that hardens into a jacket for liquid cooling. Come on material science do me a solid

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Lord Stimperor posted:

Come on material science do me a solid

Pretty sure you’re looking for a liquid.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Pretty sure you’re looking for a liquid.

:negative:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Pouring molten copper right onto the card for a perfect fit waterblock

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Have just looked at new GPUs and apparently the 3070ti I got at launch for MSRP is still pretty decent in terms of price to performance.

Pretty crazy how performance per dollar has stagnated in the last few years.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 8, 2024

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
might be time for these folks to rebrand

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1755623296798802250

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
thats what? about 40 4090s?

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
To be clear I wasn't at all referring to the idea of AIO's that you buy separate from the GPU, I would've thought that was clear since, well, all the extremely obvious issues with that, and that I specifically mentioned my current GPU being a model that came with with the AIO water cooler.

The price difference between large CPU air coolers and sub-360mm, that aren't loaded with up with controllers and tons of RGB fans, isn't so large that I think the cost should really be preventing AIO cooled GPUs from being more common.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Elem7 posted:

To be clear I wasn't at all referring to the idea of AIO's that you buy separate from the GPU, I would've thought that was clear since, well, all the extremely obvious issues with that, and that I specifically mentioned my current GPU being a model that came with with the AIO water cooler.

The price difference between large CPU air coolers and sub-360mm, that aren't loaded with up with controllers and tons of RGB fans, isn't so large that I think the cost should really be preventing AIO cooled GPUs from being more common.

It's still an issue because of all those obvious issues with GPU waterblocks. It means that the waterblocks for the AIO are not able to take advantage of economies of scales to make prices lower than the current situation. The CPU waterblocks can fit a large variety of CPUs from both major brands with maybe a cheap bracket to adjust for different mounting solutions and such. You can't do that with the GPU waterblocks.

The GPU companies would have to come up with like a dozen different waterblock designs for each generation of cards. That ain't gonna happen.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

NZXT used to make brackets for putting CPU AIOs on GPUs but they stopped supporting them, i think because VRAM started getting too spicy

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

I think I'm just going to avoid 12VHWPR anything until they either fix the standard or find some other solution.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

"Yes, I want store credit for my house fire cable so I can buy more house fire cables please"

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

repiv posted:

NZXT used to make brackets for putting CPU AIOs on GPUs but they stopped supporting them, i think because VRAM started getting too spicy
wasn't it the 3090s that became a pain in the rear end, because they required backplates to work as heatsinks for their vram?

just seems like any generalizable solution is going to get f'ed over by next generation of gpu designs every single time

even with pci-e/vga cables, we couldn't even agree on the orientation of the ports

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

they had it working over a bunch of generations with a single design, but they just gave up after turing, which is when GDDR6X started making VRAM cooling a more significant concern

quote:

Nvidia GPU Compatibility:

GeForce RTX* 2080**, 2080 Ti**, 2070**, Titan X, Titan, Geforce GTX 1080 Ti, 1080, 1070, 1060, 980 Ti, 980, 970, 960, 780 Ti, 780, 770, 760***, 680, 670, 660Ti, 660, 580, 570

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Private Speech posted:

Have just looked at new GPUs and apparently the 3070ti I got at launch for MSRP is still pretty decent in terms of power to performance.

Pretty crazy how performance per dollar has stagnated in the last few years.
I'm running 3440*1440 and my 3090 is more than fine.

My 9900k will probably be the spark for a system upgrade.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Googling a little bit, it doesn't seem to be unheard of among cryptobros to do immersion cooling. That is, just dump the GPU on a riser in a bucket. I mean case modders have been filling up their bulids with oil or distilled water for ages. Bout time someone made a little GPU bathtub.

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

Cooling my gpu with gamer girl bath water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Not to pick on you specifically, but is there a reason we give X a bunch of traffic instead of just linking to the article?