Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
https://twitter.com/MagicOnline/status/1754993583948783929

what the heck is going on in there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i would guess pervasive win-trading activity

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
After going 0-3 in a sealed event I can confidently say this set sucks.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

New-set drafts are the most cost-effective way to turn play points back into something tradable. I guess some people figured out that if you stuff the queue with 8 of your accounts, you don't have to actually build the deck and play out the games, letting you do it a lot faster and with less variance?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

That's like an hour outside the city. >_>

it's also plainview lol

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I bet long island has a great vintage scene

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

New Rhystic Studies is possibly one of the best statements on the atomization of retail product I've ever seen.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I was so excited for this set, but after 2 drafts I'm not really feeling it

Maybe drafting with essentially set boosters is a loving mistake

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

rickiep00h posted:

New Rhystic Studies is possibly one of the best statements on the atomization of retail product I've ever seen.

It's almost 2 hours long and every minute of it is worth watching.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Framboise posted:

It's almost 2 hours long and every minute of it is worth watching.

My favorite part was the dignity with which they pointed out that some serialized cards held a particular premium, including zero-six-nine and four-two-zero.

TacoNight fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 7, 2024

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

It's the foils video they seem to have uploaded a few days ago? I'm interested because man it's gotta be crazy at this point.

I feel like every few months for the past year there's been a new type of product

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Weird Pumpkin posted:

It's the foils video they seem to have uploaded a few days ago? I'm interested because man it's gotta be crazy at this point.

I feel like every few months for the past year there's been a new type of product

It breaks down all the different card versions available in LotR and THEN it shows off all the versions of MoM, yeah.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Weird Pumpkin posted:

That's why they announced "exhausted boosters" for players too tired to look up what goes in what, these boosters will have every possible frame and treatment.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
There is so much text on every card in this set my goodness :corsair:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I don't see how you're supposed to not just lose if your opponent has built Detectives in this format. Flavorful at least!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

This card is fun and plays really well. The reminder text is also very confusing in paper for a lot of people.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I may be dumb but the first time I read cases, I thought the reminder text was saying they get auto solved by end of turn.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Rinkles posted:

I may be dumb but the first time I read cases, I thought the reminder text was saying they get auto solved by end of turn.

Don't they?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

cases are such a neat clean flavorful little design, I like them a lot

I'm not sure how you couldn't work out how a case works if you are familiar with the game rules and know what a saga is

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

Don't they?

No, they check the condition at the end of your turn.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The design is very intuitive. It’s the reminder text that threw me off.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Peewi posted:

No, they check the condition at the end of your turn.

You made me look it up and I still think they are?
719.3a “To solve — [Condition]” means “At the beginning of your end step, if [condition] and this Case is not solved, this Case becomes solved.”

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

719.3a “To solve — [Condition]” means “At the beginning of your end step, if [condition] and this Case is not solved, this Case becomes solved.”

See, that is exactly what I mean.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

HootTheOwl posted:

It does get auto-solved at the end of turn if you have met the condition.
It doesn't get auto solved if you didn't meet the condition.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

GonSmithe posted:

This is where the confusion with the reminder text lies.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Hoot: "if [condition]" still has to be true!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

GonSmithe posted:

That's what I'm saying

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Hoot: "if [condition]" still has to be true!
And when it is it's auto solved at eot

I don't get why you're all jumping on me here

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

HootTheOwl posted:

That's what I'm saying

And when it is it's auto solved at eot

I don't get why you're all jumping on me here

Other people are using “auto-solved” to mean “solved even if you didn’t meet the condition”.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

To me, the word "auto" strongly implies that something is different from the norm.

I would not describe solving cases as "auto" because there's only one way to do it.

Hence the confusion.

Edit:

generatrix posted:

Other people are using “auto-solved” to mean “solved even if you didn’t meet the condition”.

Yes, this exactly.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
https://x.com/sporef4g/status/1755438105027387816?s=20

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
So another set with pretty wild durdly stuff you can do where R/W,R/U beatdown just are the best decks by far huh?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

So another set with pretty wild durdly stuff you can do where R/W,R/U beatdown just are the best decks by far huh?

I think the boros deck is pretty slick. I also think that that the dozen midrange piles are going to beat it easily.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

I think the boros deck is pretty slick. I also think that that the dozen midrange piles are going to beat it easily.

If so, people haven't figured out how to do it on arena yet. It's like 7% win rate higher than anything other than GW which is a very similar go wide deck. The piles are getting ran over.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

If so, people haven't figured out how to do it on arena yet. It's like 7% win rate higher than anything other than GW which is a very similar go wide deck. The piles are getting ran over.

I mean, it has some awesome turns. It’s basically the pioneer deck at this point. It doesn’t have much reach though and will fold pretty hard to sweepers. When the 3 mana sweepers get this much value against a deck it def gives it a lower ceiling.

I still like it and will prob play it if I play standard at all.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

I mean, it has some awesome turns. It’s basically the pioneer deck at this point. It doesn’t have much reach though and will fold pretty hard to sweepers. When the 3 mana sweepers get this much value against a deck it def gives it a lower ceiling.

I still like it and will prob play it if I play standard at all.

I'm talking about MKM draft........

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

mcmagic posted:

It's W/x beatdown, not R. White just has a ton of good cheap commons and uncommons that are super easy to run someone over with and even the worse W commons are pretty reasonable cards. Every other colour just seems to have more costly stuff it feels like? Idk

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

elbkaida posted:

It's W/x beatdown, not R. White just has a ton of good cheap commons and uncommons that are super easy to run someone over with and even the worse W commons are pretty reasonable cards. Every other colour just seems to have more costly stuff it feels like? Idk

Yes you're right. I should've put W first because it's the best color by far. I have seen some good UR artifact aggro decks but they are more spotty

I got my +1/+0 case copied 3 times with the XXXGU card which was a hilarious way to lose a game. I also Rakdos and the 6mana Dragon are obnoxious bombs but not unfair.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 8, 2024

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It's at least W/R and W/U since Blue has a bunch of the best evasive creatures in the format and some good ways to disable blockers. I dunno how Selesnya and Orzhov are.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Justin_Brett posted:

It's at least W/R and W/U since Blue has a bunch of the best evasive creatures in the format and some good ways to disable blockers. I dunno how Selesnya and Orzhov are.

WU is the third best, WG is better because of the overrun morph. Very funny format where On the job is the second best common in the set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

LMAO reprints are theft. Even without the AI poo poo this is the shittiest philosophy wrt to card game. Any card more than 3 dollars is a scam that you should avoid through proxy or counterfeit.