Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
Justice is a damage-over-time spell that does far more hit points in damage than Trump has left. Trump’s already dead, he just doesn’t know it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Scotus is not running on whether or not Trump can be in the ballot and whether or not he did insurrection. They are ruling on whether or not individual states can do that

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Kagan is trying to find some sort of argument that'll pull a majority and she might have found it, seeing how Barrett and Gorsuch picked up on it

What argument is this? I can't listen in.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Judges are making stronger arguments for Trump than his lawyer

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Rescue Toaster posted:

What argument is this? I can't listen in.

Basically why does one state get to kick people off the ballot and that means all states have to kick him off is the gist of it

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

kazil posted:

Conservative judges who already know where they want to go hand-feeding arguments to incompetent lawyers is pretty normal. Look at the Florida documents case.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
gamer logic : they did enough blue things and now theyre going for their big red action.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Anyone else feel that Murray's tone is a little combative?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

kazil posted:

It's is sounding a lot like they're leaning toward the obvious ruling that everyone expected.

But oral arguments are always about attacking the position and they really don't change anything. This is going to be decided behind closed doors by the briefs.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

It's is sounding a lot like they're leaning toward the obvious ruling that everyone expected.

But oral arguments are always about attacking the position and they really don't change anything. This is going to be decided behind closed doors by the briefs.

Yeah, Emptywheel is reporting the same.

https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1755628058751431158

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Rescue Toaster posted:

Conservative judges who already know where they want to go hand-feeding arguments to incompetent lawyers is pretty normal. Look at the Florida documents case.

Justices do this all the time on both sides. It's not just conservative ones

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Scotus is not running on whether or not Trump can be in the ballot and whether or not he did insurrection. They are ruling on whether or not individual states can do that

so if individual states can't do that, then the only time section 3 can be invoked is in Congress...on Jan 6. That's all very neat and tidy lol.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Yeah this is sounding a lot like it's going to break for Trump

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

kazil posted:

the ballot thing or the immunity?

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Random Stranger posted:

Would those closed doors happen to be on Harlan Crowe’s yacht?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Grouchio posted:

The arguments right now are about the ballot

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Grouchio posted:

Ballot.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

:lol:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

It's astounding to me that if you are a chud you don't even have to make a decent legal argument to this shithead filled SCOTUS.

They will just walk you right through the goal posts of a legal argument themselves.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I can see them siding with Trump here and then smacking down his claim of immunity and spin that as them being completely impartial and not undemocratically life-appointed demagogues.

mackensie
Apr 17, 2002
Military members are obligated to disobey illegal orders.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

kazil posted:

The big question is if they'll put out a test for insurrections and it's really sounding like they don't want to do that much which will leave things a mess. Maybe they're hoping Trump will lose and they don't have to do anything.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
LOL

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

saintonan posted:

so if individual states can't do that, then the only time section 3 can be invoked is in Congress...on Jan 6. That's all very neat and tidy lol.

That's their argument, yes.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

BigglesSWE posted:

I can see them siding with Trump here and then smacking down his claim of immunity and spin that as them being completely impartial and not undemocratically life-appointed demagogues.

It's likely that this is what'll happen

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

kazil posted:

So Thomas's argument here is because this hasn't come up before it doesn't count?

NASCAR sitting off in the distance going, “well, all it took for us was a gamer to become a car driver and suddenly everything changed.”

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

Justice is a damage-over-time spell that does far more hit points in damage than Trump has left. Trump’s already dead, he just doesn’t know it yet.

Not really, the thing most likely to stop him is time itself, he’s quite old and has lived poorly, even with rich people medicine he’s likely to run out the clock before justice catches up to him. Even then his effects will outlive him I’d bet.

This will probably break for Trump but the real crazy town ruling comes if/when they rule on presidential immunity. If SCOTUS rules in favor of immunity, I can’t even fathom what downstream effects that could have.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
The conservatives are being brutal with Murray.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1755625115360878904?s=46&t=G1x8XWIwrNxUQoXItlkh2w

Seems like good question to ask knowing the Trump ideas of “entitled to an extra round!”

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

This is actually a problem if they rule in favor of Trump on the ballot issue; that means there's little means by which to legally disqualify a candidate for any reason, especially a crime, and that basically leaves it up to the conventions, which is dumb in this case because a large tract of the GOP has definitely asked for pardons for unspecified crimes. This leaves (especially the Supreme Court) open for all kinds of stupid poo poo later.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Yeah, conservatives are doing the whole "well won't Red states disqualify Biden then?" poo poo

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
Loving Alito making up random scenarios and just throwing his hands up

"What if the presidential election was going to be in 3 days and the Bills played the Knicks and during that game a ghost appeared that just screamed "BERDERS!!!" over and over... what would we do then?"

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Nodelphi posted:

Not really, the thing most likely to stop him is time itself, he’s quite old and has lived poorly, even with rich people medicine he’s likely to run out the clock before justice catches up to him. Even then his effects will outlive him I’d bet.

This will probably break for Trump but the real crazy town ruling comes if/when they rule on presidential immunity. If SCOTUS rules in favor of immunity, I can’t even fathom what downstream effects that could have.

Biden would legally be allowed to do whatever he wants before the end of his term if that happens, they aren't doing that

Immunity is an insane argument. Individual states not having authority to remove candidates is at least an actual logical angle you can take with this.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

TulliusCicero posted:

Biden would legally be allowed to do whatever he wants before the end of his term if that happens, they aren't doing that

Immunity is an insane argument. Individual states not having authority to remove candidatesis at least an actual logical angle you can take with this.

It's a bad one though as stripping states of the right to determine who is on their ballot goes against the history and tradition of the constitution allowing states to do just that.

But lol intellectual consistency.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

armchairyoda posted:

Loving Alito making up random scenarios and just throwing his hands up

"What if the presidential election was going to be in 3 days and the Bills played the Knicks and during that game a ghost appeared that just screamed "BERDERS!!!" over and over... what would we do then?"

Unless that's :thejoke:, why would a football team play a basketball team?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Neito posted:

You'd have to ask Alito.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Neito posted:

There's no rule that says a football team can't play basketball!

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
It is frustrating to try and figure out which way the court is going to rule when i'm not a lawyer steeped in case law. It's usually fun to speculate but the implications and complexities here are obnoxious as hell to wrap my head around.

Oh no...is doomerism taking me?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

PuttyKnife posted:

It is frustrating to try and figure out which way the court is going to rule when i'm not a lawyer steeped in case law. It's usually fun to speculate but the implications and complexities here are obnoxious as hell to wrap my head around.

Oh no...is doomerism taking me?

It's only doomerism if it comes from the CSPAM region of Something Awful, otherwise it's sparkling pessimism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

BUG JUG posted:

It's a bad one though as stripping states of the right to determine who is on their ballot goes against the history and tradition of the constitution allowing states to do just that.

But lol intellectual consistency.

Yeah IMO that is well within States' rights to do so, they all have individual processes and do in fact have authority to oversee that because there's distinct separation of processes AND powers between states and the national results; I don't think it's valid to create an instant escalator to the Supreme Court every single time there's some kind of an issue with a candidate. Trump doesn't exactly have much of a leg to stand on in the first place, he's just in desperate pleading, and his lawyers didn't exactly bring a game whatsoever, so what we're seeing is the SC taxing itself to death trying to play devil's advocate I guess?!