Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

edit: wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Microplastics posted:

Don't worry it's just temporary, the news said so

It's wonderful to hear that things aren't that bad yet.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Today I am proud of myself for not saying to literally kill the Supreme Court in Climate Rights/Law class, and merely said "lock 'em up" through massive abuse of the justice system, then pack the various courts. I'm mature now.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Nichael posted:

Today I am proud of myself for not saying to literally kill the Supreme Court in Climate Rights/Law class, and merely said "lock 'em up" through massive abuse of the justice system, then pack the various courts. I'm mature now.

Why not stake them to the beach just above the historical average high tide mark?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Car Hater posted:

Why not stake them to the beach just above the historical average high tide mark?

We'll lock them up there through the various mechanisms of the precious *****justice system***** and what happens happens. It's surely more humane than how we treat Palestinians, refugees, migrants, American prisoners, the poor etc etc. I'm a mature lib now.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Hubbert posted:

It's wonderful to hear that things aren't that bad yet.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
It's temporarily that bad

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Thanks, I hate it

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.
yeah, things aren’t that bad...

they’re worse!

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Salt Fish posted:

You can mine as much coal as you want but you have to use your teeth and fingernails.

i'm going to use coal to mine coal faster

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Microplastics posted:

It's temporarily that bad

Soon it will be worse fine

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

The class ended with a professor from PA talking about bringing climate legislation against the government: "I think of [climate change litigation as] getting the right puzzle piece or turning the combination on the lock.”

I said it's already too late and that idea is ridiculous because the game was rigged from the start even if it wasn't too late. He basically said in reply "yeah but what if we find the right piece?"

Also I did want to start with "In the words of Benny from Fallout: New Vegas," but unfortunately I was pressed for time.

Nichael has issued a correction as of 18:24 on Feb 8, 2024

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!

Nichael posted:

The class ended with a professor from PA talking about bringing climate legislation against the government: "I think of [climate change litigation as] getting the right puzzle piece or turning the combination on the lock.”

I said it's already too late and that idea is ridiculous because the game was rigged from the start even if it wasn't too late. He basically said in reply "yeah but what if we find the right piece?"

Also I did want to start with "In the words of Benny4.8 from Fallout: New Vegas," but unfortunately I was pressed for time.

It is never too late. We can definitely stop at 4.8C. I have faith if we all pull together we can turn Earth into Venus 2 electric car boogaloo.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

There was one thing I agree with the class on. You can use law "creatively" and with "imagination" to help with a given issue like this. But my idea of "creatively" is, as I said, locking up the SCOTUS. It isn't trying over and over again on getting the right magic words to convince Gorsuch to gorsuck my dick.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Bringing my lawsuit against the state, knowing that I'll finally stop climate doom. In a 6:3 decision...

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Bringing my lawsuit against the state, knowing that I'll finally stop climate doom. In a 6:3 decision...

Also, let's magically say the SCOTUS agrees with you. Cool! Now let's see them enforce anything. Seems to be working out swimmingly in Texas!

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
https://prospect.org/justice/how-kamala-harris-fought-to-keep-nonviolent-prisoners-locked-up/
You can just tell SCOTUS to gently caress off for years and they'll make you Vice President for it.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I've read the first third of The Gods Themselves and it hits close to home. A scientist discovers that the world's primary source of electricity, the "electron pump", is going to make the Sun explode. But he can't convince people to stop using it because they need that cheap power.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Stereotype posted:

no one is pretending that we aren't going to burn all the coal on earth. all the oil too. everything that can burn we are going to pile high and set ablaze. it is our one true purpose. burn it all

https://youtu.be/U0AcBryPUxY?si=JtfTutdcGuXk_7uz

quote:

Oh, holy rabble
We art ensnared to quiver liketh rippled air
Diocese of did melt sand
Worship with thy chroming hand
Coal-black clad horizon maketh landborn petromyzon
Summon forth thy motor spirit
Drink the fuckin' gas and killeth
Light the fuel
Propagate oxygen and heat
Deify motor spirit
Kiss goodbye the weak
Oh, holy frontier art unbound
Thee kiss thy god, I kisseth ground
I holdeth flame yond burns at night
A seraph of Isiah's light
Touch thy lips and purge thy skin
Holy water, eyes within
By thee, we sleep and die for you
Ignite m'lord, we ride for you
Motor spirit
Motor spirit
Black buckets everywhere, brimming, spewing millionaires
Rotting ancient zooplankton squashed below the megaton
Sweet juice on my lips, motorized apocalypse
See metal crunch and hear it
Highway death by motor spirit
Light the fuel
Propagate oxygen and heat
Deify motor spirit
Kiss goodbye the weak
High octane aviation
Gasoline leak inhalation
Paint chromer, broken home
Bloody stool, gasket blown
Pop the bonnet, oil check
Fire pious side effects
Guarana drama, damage control
Sniffing, huffing ethanol
Motor spirit
Motor spirit
Motor spirit
Motor spirit
Dividing non-believers
Fly my octane spirit weaver
Burnt rubber, grave robber
Fire starter, spark imparter
Un-water, fun porter
Sun mortar, manslaughter
Motor spirit, don't fear it
Buy a ticket, button flick it
Kill the rigid, burn the bridges
Pick the stitches, drink the riches
Engine Gaia, piston wheeze
The messiah on their knees
Beg the wind, beg the tree
Beg the bug for mercy
Motor spirit, dragon race
Burning cars, outer space
Petrol king, abdicate
Humankind exonerate
Dire fate shall plague our land
Hurricanes shall sweepeth sand
The winds doth howl and moaneth
Homes and lives overthrowneth
But hark, brave occultists, bold
Rise to save the world from cold
Weaveth magic spells with care
Banish the hellish nightmare
Dance beneath the moon's bright glow as
Charms they work to and fro
But alas, fire doth grown despite witches' ebb and flow
Fires rage with wild intent destroying all they present
The heat doth scorch the landeth
Naught but ash in thy handeth
End doth near
We cannot hide as the earth doth shake and writhe
Turn to sin with hearts sincere
Block the way that led us here
Motor spirit
Motor spirit
Motor spirit
Motor spirit

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
https://youtu.be/Fi0q0O4V5Qs?si=0NnKEfCtiwb3ruWF

kater
Nov 16, 2010

things are only temporary

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

We may not be able to cap temperature rise to 2 C, but here’s the thing, if we work really hard we may be able to cap it at 2.5 C instead of 3C. Or 3 instead of 3.5 C. That extra centigrade might mean the difference between whether Bangladesh is underwater. It might make the difference as to whether 100 million people have to migrate or only a few. That matters; it makes a difference. It’s worth fighting for. That’s a lot of people.

Mr. Barnesworth
Jun 28, 2008

I said GOOD DAY, sir!

Nichael posted:

He basically said in reply "yeah but what if we find the right piece?"

I don't understand the naivete of people who think there are rules that the people who rule the world will follow.

lmao

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

in lmao news we can now sustain fusion for five seconds.

you may pooh-pooh that but it is an astounding achievement. if only there were some way to HURRY IT THE gently caress UP

:smith: we needed it 50 years ago

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

jevon's paradox would rear its head

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

toggle posted:

We may not be able to cap temperature rise to 2 C, but here’s the thing, if we work really hard we may be able to cap it at 2.5 C instead of 3C. Or 3 instead of 3.5 C. That extra centigrade might mean the difference between whether Bangladesh is underwater. It might make the difference as to whether 100 million people have to migrate or only a few. That matters; it makes a difference. It’s worth fighting for. That’s a lot of people.

I want to etch this quote on the dead coral of the GBR

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
yeah fusion would be a disaster for the biosphere.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

mdemone posted:

you may pooh-pooh that but it is an astounding achievement. if only there were some way to HURRY IT THE gently caress UP

Full working fusion with our current system would be a disaster, the same way "green" energies currently are too: they are used additively to all the other forms, never in replacement. If "free" "limitless" energy was to be invented, we would simply use it to dig up more oil and make more plastic.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

going to school for climate poo poo rules, you get to hear professors who write national level climate advisories bitch about politicians who either don't read them, can't understand them or don't want to understand them and then go on to spout complete drivel in public

burning wood for energy is carbon neutral because the trees grow back! (in 80 years)

in fact you can even burn loving peat for energy because it also regenerates technically choo choo let's loving gooo

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

brakeless posted:

going to school for climate poo poo rules, you get to hear professors who write national level climate advisories bitch about politicians who either don't read them, can't understand them or don't want to understand them and then go on to spout complete drivel in public

burning wood for energy is carbon neutral because the trees grow back! (in 80 years)

in fact you can even burn loving peat for energy because it also regenerates technically choo choo let's loving gooo

by that logic coal, oil, and ~~~natural gas~~~ is all renewable green energy that makes the sun wear glasses and the earth smile

Mr. Barnesworth
Jun 28, 2008

I said GOOD DAY, sir!
its just all so loving exasperating i need a smoke

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Mr. Barnesworth posted:

its just all so loving exasperating i need a smoke

Can't believe you'd emit carbon at a time like this. Disgusting.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

by that logic coal, oil, and ~~~natural gas~~~ is all renewable green energy that makes the sun wear glasses and the earth smile

all the natural "dangerous" CO2 in the atmosphere will eventually be tied onto weathering minerals and get washed to the ocean floor

doomers btfo

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

mdemone posted:

Got a link

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Popoto posted:

Full working fusion with our current system would be a disaster, the same way "green" energies currently are too: they are used additively to all the other forms, never in replacement. If "free" "limitless" energy was to be invented, we would simply use it to dig up more oil and make more plastic.

In 2026 mankind cracks full cold fusion. In an unexpected turn of events it exists in the ideal utopia form of infinite free electricity for all.

In 2028 ground is broken on the first global megahighway. By the mid 2030s humans now reside on these

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Have link.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-68233330

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Rectal Death Alert posted:

In 2026 mankind cracks full cold fusion. In an unexpected turn of events it exists in the ideal utopia form of infinite free electricity for all.

In 2028 ground is broken on the first global megahighway. By the mid 2030s humans now reside on these

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
thread is really pumping lately

like the worlds' greenhouse gas emissions, ayooooooooo

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
we don’t need fusion we need the rich to all be [redacted]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaxman