Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Sokka just straight-up finding the Kyoshi Warriors cool and inspiring from day one would also be a way to do part of his 'smart young man freeing himself from ingrained cultural expectations of manliness to become his own person' arc, especially if you want to compress the story rather than doing a strict episode-to-episode remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

sokkas whole Deal is that he feels like he has to be the Man of the Tribe (even tho hes like, 15) and then he grows out of being a sexist jackass like 5 eps in and becomes the chiller smart guy... incredibly lame rear end change.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Has anyone watched Summer Camp Island? I am tempted because it started up production around when Adventure Time ended, and so it took a lot of the same crew. Art director Sandra Lee, writers Kent Osborne and Jack Pendarvis, storyboard artist and songwriter Seo Kim, etc. And the design is very charming. But the first episode feels like its targeting a much younger demographic. Then again, Adventure Time's first 2 seasons also skew a lot younger than what it became as it developed, so I'm wondering if the same happens with this show or if it always remains a charming show but one that doesn't have broad appeal to older viewers.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ccs posted:

Has anyone watched Summer Camp Island? I am tempted because it started up production around when Adventure Time ended, and so it took a lot of the same crew. Art director Sandra Lee, writers Kent Osborne and Jack Pendarvis, storyboard artist and songwriter Seo Kim, etc. And the design is very charming. But the first episode feels like its targeting a much younger demographic. Then again, Adventure Time's first 2 seasons also skew a lot younger than what it became as it developed, so I'm wondering if the same happens with this show or if it always remains a charming show but one that doesn't have broad appeal to older viewers.

Yeah it ages up, but not as much as Adventure Time ages up by the end of that run. It's a good sweet show that's well put together.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the contest also matters, since Sokka's whole worldview comes from all the grown men of the tribe leaving to fight in the war, so everything Sokka does in the first few episodes is trying to live up to his ideal of being a warrior man. The Kiyoshi Warriors don't just get him past the idea that women can't fight, they get him to see that he's no good at fighting and needs to improve himself, paving the way for him to eventually try to become the smart guy of the crew rather than trying to be the meathead charging in.

Conversely, Katara never really had a chip on her shoulder about gender roles. She got angry at individual people like her dumb little brother or Pakku for refusing to traIn her, but other than that, she only ever fights for what she thinks is right, not because she has something to prove. And she also doesn't feel obligated to reject other "female" things either like what some other fictional female leads feel the need to.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Isn't Sokka older than Katara?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, though only by a few years, I think. Kinda the point is Sokka is overcompensating for a number of understandable reasons, being left in a rear guard in a tribe in truly desperate straits, trying to survive a slow genocide by a massively superior foe.

It's probably not too hard to adapt the Kyoshi Warriors arc, especially if they're more smoothing out Sokka's sexism arc than outright removing it. The Kyoshi Warriors aren't just warrior women, they're specifically very weird warriors with their identical makeup and elaborate costumes, and nothing like what Sokka has seen in his probably fairly straightforward idea of what war and being a warrior looks like. And a big part of his main character change is learning to use his brains, not just for strategies and logistics, but for psychological warfare, misdirection, improvisation and thinking outside the box.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I mostly love Avatar Kyoshi, where she's being put on trial for murder hundreds of years later (through Aang's channeling her), and she's just like "Yeah, I killed the guy. He was a dick."

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
well atleast Aang got one of the most important honors in life, a holiday dish in his honor. unfried dough

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

James Hong's episode was a delight.

Junpei posted:

Isn't Sokka older than Katara?

At one point he says that he can't really remember their mom, as opposed to Katara, so that could be either age or imprinting.

Also it seems like Katara has been the one stepping up to take care of things while Sokka was busy stuck in his fantasies of being a warrior, and even after he matures, she's the more responsible one.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 1, 2024

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

James Hong's episode was a delight.

At one point he says that he can't really remember their mom, as opposed to Katara, so that could be either age or imprinting.

Also it seems like Katara has been the one stepping up to take care of things while Sokka was busy stuck in his fantasies of being a warrior, and even after he matures, she's the more responsible one.

I always thought that line was him lying for her feelings and stuff, also doing some sneaky social repairing between Toph and Kat during that episode

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Sivart13 posted:

I am imploring the people of Earth to watch Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur
people of thread, it's your time to shine
https://twitter.com/steveloter/status/1753861403717615931

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

two things:

1. sokka is older than katara. they're 15 and 14, respectively.
2. did we forget that katara blows up at sokka for being a sexist jerk literally in the FIRST 5 MINUTES of the show?

Booky posted:

sokkas whole Deal is that he feels like he has to be the Man of the Tribe (even tho hes like, 15) and then he grows out of being a sexist jackass like 5 eps in and becomes the chiller smart guy... incredibly lame rear end change.

yeah, this is my only complaint about that. while teaching kids not to think lowly of girls/women, sokka's sexist attitudes probably appear for a grand total of 2 episodes, including the kyoshi warriors one, which were very early on in the series and resolved SUPER quick.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Personally I expect a lot of grown rear end adults to not have basic respect for women, let alone teenagers.

yuuuuup. as lovely as it sounds, if anything, we probably need that kind of messaging MORE nowadays than we did 20 years ago

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 28 minutes!

Mr Interweb posted:

2. did we forget that katara blows up at sokka for being a sexist jerk literally in the FIRST 5 MINUTES of the show?

IIRC this is what breaks Aang free lol

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur is back (in some places, there’s only one episode of the new season on YouTube in the UK right now and the series isn’t on Disney plus yet). I’ve liked what I saw so far of season 2 at least. What does everyone else think?

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Yvonmukluk posted:

So Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur is back (in some places, there’s only one episode of the new season on YouTube in the UK right now and the series isn’t on Disney plus yet). I’ve liked what I saw so far of season 2 at least. What does everyone else think?
They've dropped the first 14 episodes on Disney+ (in the US, I guess) which is a little scary because it makes people think they're giving up on the show. Also feels weird that it's 4th in the Disney+ carousel, at least on mine.

I've only just watched the first 3 episodes, I liked the opening two but the last one wasn't as fun because I don't like to see Casey and MG bicker and fight, their friendship is part of what holds the show together

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sivart13 posted:

They've dropped the first 14 episodes on Disney+ (in the US, I guess) which is a little scary because it makes people think they're giving up on the show. Also feels weird that it's 4th in the Disney+ carousel, at least on mine.

I've only just watched the first 3 episodes, I liked the opening two but the last one wasn't as fun because I don't like to see Casey and MG bicker and fight, their friendship is part of what holds the show together

Considering what happened with The Owl House and Molly McGee I'd say that fear is fairly justified (though maybe this one technically being a Marvel property will buy it at least one more season)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Speaking of the Ghost and Molly McGee, the scripts/pitches for season three got posted on the Internet Archive. Bill Motz tweeted he doesn’t have any issues with people reading them, so if you want a bit more TGaMM they’re out there.

Oddly enough there’s one premise that’s still listed under the title ‘The Curse of Molly McGee’, which makes me wonder if they came up with it when the show was initially produced and they were specifically saving it for the final season.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

Speaking of the Ghost and Molly McGee, the scripts/pitches for season three got posted on the Internet Archive. Bill Motz tweeted he doesn’t have any issues with people reading them, so if you want a bit more TGaMM they’re out there.

Oddly enough there’s one premise that’s still listed under the title ‘The Curse of Molly McGee’, which makes me wonder if they came up with it when the show was initially produced and they were specifically saving it for the final season.

I just looked on the Archive and didn't find them, do you have a link?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

ThermoPhysical posted:

I just looked on the Archive and didn't find them, do you have a link?

https://archive.org/details/molly-mcgee-season-3/301_uf6p50/mode/2up

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thanks!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Sorry for not dropping the link myself, I posted right before I went to sleep. Thanks for linking it, Pakled.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
The Series: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOCKFkmZczmDmjqAcfYDmXgEkG-PGIc7W

The Behind The Scenes: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOCKFkmZczmD78ZPM722jHspyiK7AhNn8&si=GPvD9tkQyf4oXzRB

I thought I'd mention this to everyone. It is called RWBY Season 5 Redux.

The tl;dr is that it is a fan edit of RWBY Season 5 by two amateur filmmakers that extensively cuts down and redits the season. They reached out to Roosterteeth, the show's owners, and got approval to release the fan edit as long as it wasn't being charged for. Each week will air a new season. There will be 10. 7 have been released so far.

To expand on things, RWBY Season 5 is considered by far as the absolute worst season of the show. It was considered full of head scratching moments, it was very slow, and generally just seemed like a huge drop on quality. This fan edit features no new material or changes to the plot. It takes what already exists (including the trailer footage and character shorts) and extensively redits and reorders the story to great effect. The plot flows more naturally and hits with a bigger ompg. They recolored the entire season to remove the washed out effect. They even did while poo poo like cut out redundant or pointless dialog misdsentence and seemingly cut down on the overwrought writing of the season.

The effect is this hits really hard. It's actually kind of shocking what editing can do. The story and characters and everything are the same. But the story just feels way loving better just by cutting some scenes, reareanging others, and cutting out some of the dialog. It's wild.

Covok fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 7, 2024

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So apparently there's talk yet another of Disney's animated shows might be getting an untimely cancellation, this time Hailey's On It! starring Auli'i Cravalho. That's since been debunked but it's also been comnfirmed it's not been renewed, either.

I've checked it out on Disney+, it seems pretty fun.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 7, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

So apparently there's talk yet another of Disney's animated shows might be getting an untimely cancellation, this time Hailey's On It! starring Auli'i Cravalho. That's since been debunked but it's also been comnfirmed it's not been renewed, either.

I've checked it out on Disney+, it seems pretty fun.

Yeah, I’ve been enjoying it for the most part as well. Apparently it comes back from hiatus in a couple months too (though whether it ultimately lasts more than a season remains to be seen)

Has there been any update on that show one of the Owl House staff members was working on (Neon Galaxy or something like that)?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
There's something about Avatar that always confused me. It's a show all about Asian cultures and philosophies, and then you have the Water Tribes who are Inuit. I'm not saying you can't have an Inuit-based culture, I'm just wondering what the decision there was.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Mraagvpeine posted:

There's something about Avatar that always confused me. It's a show all about Asian cultures and philosophies, and then you have the Water Tribes who are Inuit. I'm not saying you can't have an Inuit-based culture, I'm just wondering what the decision there was.

You can spin them as northern/northeastern Siberians.

Now, the waterbenders in the swamp who are cajuns, that's another story.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's just a pastiche. While east asian influences are obviously the strongest, and the setting purposefully veers away from most European influences (that most fantasy gets really dominated by), the creators didn't really set any hard rules for themselves. The Earth Kingdom has chinese, korean, and even arab influences at times. The water tribe veers most notably to cajuns for the lost swamp tribe, but also the Northern Water Tribe has a little of Venice, and Legend of Korra's reconstructed Southern Water Tribe even gave me some Japanese vibes. One of Sokka's trademark weapons is Australian for some reason.

Alternately, you could argue that there are a lot of connections between the Inuit and Asia, since they settled both sides of the Bering Sea. Easy to do, seafaring people and an easy chain of islands to follow. There's also a people in northern Japan who are very similar to the Inuit, but there's not really any known relation between the Ainu and the Inuit/Aleut/Yupik peoples.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i mean theres also them going from the south to the north pole and the seasons still being the same

astronomy is hard.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

We’ve got our first trailer for the new TMNT show:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=wJmQyv93qPY

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
2D, baby!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not a huge fan of the artstyle they’re using but it looks like it could be fun (the humor reminds me of Rise a bit)

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Larryb posted:

Huh. If they're using any toon boom/puppet animation on this they hide it pretty well, trading in smoothness to prioritize impact.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Larryb posted:

I think this is understandably going to be compared unfavorably to the movie, but I think given the constraints they're probably working under, it seems like a pretty good job of approximately preserving the look of the movie in a 2d show with a much lower budget.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Also I think the video quality in that upload wasn't helping and it looks better in the official upload that someone linked elsewhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G4QsXwZFNY

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Its hard not to get the read that the VAs are recording separately rather than together like for the movie, but its also only a thirty second clip so maybe the isolated chunks they ripped out just sound weird to me.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

the low framerate is really hurting it in that trailer edit

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Looks like much less ambitious animation, and much, much younger Turtles, which I guess some Nickelodeon execs must've loved as they try to reassert themselves as a network for younger kids instead of the more young adult demographic that dominated a lot of cartoon marketing for a while.

I don't think anything could compare well when coming after Rise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
It's a sequel to Mutant Mayhem, which had a lot more swearing than you'd expect from a movie of it's rating from Superfly. I, for one, loved Mutant Mayhem and so I'm excited to see more of them.