Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Yes! They could finally afford to hire actual British people instead of just randos off the street putting on silly voices. They're by and large a substantial improvement (oh god ARR Alisaie)

For the most part the primary ARR cast are extremely high profile, well known voice actors. They probably didn't skimp on the budget or casting, but the direction is well, we hear the results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

They were given basically no direction. The story goes that the guy playing Gaius had nothing to go on but a picture of the character so he just did his best Darth Vader impersonation

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

FuturePastNow posted:

They were given basically no direction. The story goes that the guy playing Gaius had nothing to go on but a picture of the character so he just did his best Darth Vader impersonation

What a champ. :allears:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Richard Epcar was told he was voicing the main villain of a Square game and figured that the Xehanort's Hearless voice would do the job, and he was right.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I just unlocked Grand Companies. Is there any reason to pick a particular one other than fewer loading screens or something? Or are they just all pallet swaps of each other?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

I just unlocked Grand Companies. Is there any reason to pick a particular one other than fewer loading screens or something? Or are they just all pallet swaps of each other?

They're basically all the same. You can get gear from them which looks different (not just a pallete swap) but the mechanically they're identical. Go for whoever is coolest. Or go for the Flames because they're closest to their city's aetheryte.

Also you can change your mind later if you want.

Qwertycoatl fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 8, 2024

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Only difference other than the appearance of their gear is that you’ll occasionally have your rank get referenced by NPCs in quest dialogue.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Nitrousoxide posted:

There is a specific set of pvp achievement unlocks for each company, i.e. I'm a Maelstrom kid so I got <Storm Howler> which has been my Zinogre branded Au'ra's title since I hit level 40.

There's also specific drip, each company has a little shop in the capital city.

Changing companies isn't a big deal thankfully.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Getting pvp rank 50 with the Maelstrom makes you a Storm Chaser

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Woodywoo01 posted:

I got Lancer/Dragoon to lvl 50 after starting as Arcanist, to go through Heavensward, it seems like the job most thematically appropriate, but I might change to Machinist or Astrologian later. I plan on saving Dark Knight for Shadowbringers, is that a good idea, or should I start it earlier?
At the very least, levelling Dark Knight to 50 right now would be an excellent idea. Dark Knight has what is considered the best job storyline in the game, and due to the storyline's themes doing the first act (30-50) when you're fresh off the end of ARR is the ideal time to do so.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Nitrousoxide posted:

I picked the Flames because you get a cool exclusive helmet.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Which do you like best out of piracy, capitalism or racism?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Trick question. They're all racist.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I'd switched to Japanese VA, and Raubahn's actor did the best job by far so I'm gonna go with him. Plus its really close to the teleport crystal, and my class, the Gladiator is in the city too.

Kan-E-Senna kinda sucks in both English and Japanese. I don't really like that city, and the questlines there are carbon copies of each other.

Merlwyb was alright. Didn't really stand out. I usually port to Limsa Lominsa as my home base though since it's connected to The Rising Stones, though since I got pager from them, I get the feeling I might not need to go there much anymore. I also just like the vibe of Limsa Lominsa more.

Woodywoo01
Jan 15, 2019

GilliamYaeger posted:

At the very least, levelling Dark Knight to 50 right now would be an excellent idea. Dark Knight has what is considered the best job storyline in the game, and due to the storyline's themes doing the first act (30-50) when you're fresh off the end of ARR is the ideal time to do so.

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Dark Knight is by far the best job storyline in the game and worth doing just for that (specifically right now, even). Also it's probably a good idea to level it sooner than later considering it'll be 40 levels to gain by the time SHB starts, and I guarantee going back to jank-rear end ARR content will be very low on your list of priorities by then.

iPodschun posted:

I think switching around jobs for each expansion could be fun but also exhausting as you deal with leveling, gearing, and job quests every time. My choice would be to figure out what role/roles you like best and focus on that/those. Like, playing Dark Knight for Shadowbringers is thematically appropriate but if you don't like tanking that's just another burden to deal with.

Thanks for the replies. I'll check out DK as soon as I hit the city proper.

Also, Coils of Bahamut. Is that something I should start now and slowly go through, or something to tackle all at once immediately? I know from the 30 min wait time I need to use the Duty Finder for Unsync runs, do people do that often enough that it won't be an issue finding a group?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Woodywoo01 posted:

Also, Coils of Bahamut. Is that something I should start now and slowly go through, or something to tackle all at once immediately? I know from the 30 min wait time I need to use the Duty Finder for Unsync runs, do people do that often enough that it won't be an issue finding a group?

You might get some traction if you throw up a pf for an unsync group with newbie bonus. Even one level 90 will clown the fights themselves so if you can grab a single interested person, you're home free.

It's broken into three coils of 4 or 5 fights each, that were released over three patches, so you might as well knock out each coil whole. It's a lot of cutscenes so it might be a bit of a marathon to do all three at once, but if you're down for it and have the help go ahead.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

It's also worth noting that Coils isn't mandatory--it's a good story that wraps up some major ARR threads, but knowledge of the plot isn't necessary to keep going and you don't need to have completed the content to unlock any other content. When I got up to Coils I watched all the cutscenes on YouTube and never looked back.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

It might unlock random extra dialogue choices in a quest or two several expansions later though, which is the real prize. It might. I don't know if it actually does

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Woodywoo01 posted:

I don't think that party finder unsync runs are all that common for Coils. I'm sure it happens and you probably can find someone to help you that way if you keep at it, but it will likely be much easier to ask in your FC if you're in one or in one of the goon discords instead.

A max level character can solo the actual fights in Coils no problem, and gets a bunch of tomestones for doing so if there's a newbie along. Going through the plot takes ~3 hours, however. It's enough of a project that it helps to have it scheduled.

In the future the various 8-man raids will have their own roulettes, much like the 24-man raids and 8-man story trial bosses. Coils are an exception. Nonroulette fights will instead be the Savage version of the 8-man raids and the Extreme versions of the 8-man trials.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
There is a line in the Heavensward patches. It's not significant in the least but there will be an acknowledgement of it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

One thing to note: Coils has some large mid-dungeon cutscenes, especially on the first floor, so however you do it try to make sure you're on the same page with whoever you're going with about whether you're waiting for people to watch them or not. If you're fine with other folks completely wiping the whole place out and you just watch back-to-back movies for ten minutes and then run through an empty world, that's fine, but it's frustrating to have forced upon you.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Nitrousoxide posted:

Merlwyb was alright. Didn't really stand out. I usually port to Limsa Lominsa as my home base though since it's connected to The Rising Stones, though since I got pager from them, I get the feeling I might not need to go there much anymore. I also just like the vibe of Limsa Lominsa more.

Merlwyb's English VA was Skyrim's Meridia (the amazing Jean Gilpin). A soon as she spoke I heard "A NEW HAND TOUCHES THE BEACON!" in my head. One of the few downgrades of the new voice crew. Not that the "new" Merlwyb is bad, but ARR's version was fantastic.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Nitrousoxide posted:

when you rank up all the way to Captain you can buy aetheryte tickets with company seals that take you directly to your GC, giving you the option of treating your GC's city like a home aetheryte and assigning your actual home aetheryte somewhere else

so there's that to consider, itll be a while before you ever rank that high tho and like others have said it's easy enough to change GCs

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Unsynced coils pf's go up regularly and don't take long to attract a lvl90 looking for tomes, second chance points, or just help a sprout do a story thing. Just let them know if you're planning to watch cutscenes. Most people are happy to do other things while you do

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Sunday Morning posted:

Merlwyb's English VA was Skyrim's Meridia (the amazing Jean Gilpin). A soon as she spoke I heard "A NEW HAND TOUCHES THE BEACON!" in my head. One of the few downgrades of the new voice crew. Not that the "new" Merlwyb is bad, but ARR's version was fantastic.

I was wondering where I'd heard that completely unplacable British accent before.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Sunday Morning posted:

It doesn't help that new Merlwyb barely gets to even be on-screen, aside from that little bit of 5.4, so she hasn't gotten many chances to find her own take on the character.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Funky Valentine posted:

I was wondering where I'd heard that completely unplacable British accent before.

ARR Merlwyb also actually voiced Amanra in Age of Mythology, if you've ever played that. I recognized the voice instantly, but couldn't quite place it at first. Figured it out pretty quick though. She is the one voice I truly regret losing in the Great Voice Migration of Heavensward.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

girl dick energy posted:

It doesn't help that new Merlwyb barely gets to even be on-screen, aside from that little bit of 5.4, so she hasn't gotten many chances to find her own take on the character.

New Merlwyb is festering human garbage, so the less opportunities for her to get paid, the better. IMO

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Veotax posted:

New Merlwyb is festering human garbage, so the less opportunities for her to get paid, the better. IMO

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

What's up with her? I haven't heard this bit of drama before. Is she a TERF? Right wing freak? Tech cultist?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Wow, these supply missions provide a TON of experience for a crafting class even medium levels. And they barely cost any gil for the resources while getting you a lot of grand company space bucks to boot.

That daily roulette: leveling thing also gets me a whole rear end level for like 10 minutes of play. I think it gave my Level 33 character like 80k bonus exp for completing it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

Wow, these supply missions provide a TON of experience for a crafting class even medium levels. And they barely cost any gil for the resources while getting you a lot of grand company space bucks to boot.

That daily roulette: leveling thing also gets me a whole rear end level for like 10 minutes of play. I think it gave my Level 33 character like 80k bonus exp for completing it.

GC supply's a cheap, low effort way to get crafters/gatherers up, and it's how I got mine to 50 with little issue. You'll eventually be able to access tribal quests for various crafting/gathering oriented tribes that also give a good chunk of EXP per day, so it's a simple way of getting them all to max without having to spend much gil or time compared to stuff like Firmament crafting.

Roulettes are, in general, your best way of leveling up jobs, especially if you don't have access to ultra fast queues for popular roles like tank. Leveling is the big one, but Main Scenario Quest roulette and Alliance Raid roulette will also give a big chunk once you unlock them at level 50. The Challenge Log is also a good and mostly overlooked boost: you'll be doing most of the big EXP granters anyways (handing out commendations, doing FATEs, etc.), and it can easily get you a couple levels worth of EXP if you're thorough in completing them.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The only roulettes that aren’t really worth doing for experience are the ones for level 5/6/7/80 dungeons and Trials

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Trials is really good if you need Wondrous Tails second chance points, though, since trials are so often queued up by first-timers for story progression

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

x0s are also a pretty decent source of Causalities, if you've got a job at max level.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Nitrousoxide posted:

You can easily level all of your DoH/DoL to cap using daily GC turn ins and nothing else over a few month’s timeframe. Often you’ll profit off of buying turnins from the MB. I preach this as much as I can because it’s great.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I do recommend checking out the tribal quests for crafters/gatherers once you get there even if you mainly level via GC, since the majority have very charming storylines and are easy to plow through even with suboptimal gear.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
leveling my FSH was like a 3 week ride of laughs and no effort and ocean fishing. it was basically free after i did my daily dow/dom roulettes.

does anybody else switch to their lowbie job when its time to discover new zones as you fly to a quest or w/e? i've probably gotten a half level for free just by hitting the WAR button as i do msqs or whatever. then again i did that out in an EW zone the other day and aggroed four mobs as a 66 warrior and was like oh gently caress i did the thing and i ran, ran, as fast as i can

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Feb 9, 2024

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I swear one of these days I WILL pick up all the sightseeing log entries on a class that can actually benefit from the piddly exp you get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vord
Oct 27, 2007
Those have a minimum level requirement.