Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

One weird trick to being a good hitter

This is such a stupid take. The ability to hit homeruns with mediocre contact skills doesn't make you a great hitter. Joey Gallo sucks rear end at hitting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

mcmagic posted:

lol yankee hate is a mental illness

wow, a powerful admission, may you get help for this self-stigma you have been dealing with

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Nodoze posted:

This is such a stupid take. The ability to hit homeruns with mediocre contact skills doesn't make you a great hitter. Joey Gallo sucks rear end at hitting

He's had a single year with his batting average below league average and his OBP never has been while having elite power for a SS. Comparing him to Joey Gallo is straight up stupid. He's a good hitter regardless of how he achieves it.

This also ignores that he's at best the best defensive SS in baseball and at worst a top 3 defensive SS.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 8, 2024

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Noted slugger who sells out for power Francisco Lindor

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Like Lindor is 6th ALL TIME in fWar through age 29.

Jeter is 21st right below Hanley and Nomah

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

maffew buildings posted:

wow, a powerful admission, may you get help for this self-stigma you have been dealing with

i got my brain pudding from the jets

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

BTW I stated something incorrectly, that Lindor was at least Jeter's equal through the same age. I was wrong, Lindor is clearly better.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I’d rather have JJ Hardy, now there’s a shortstop you could set your watch to

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

JJ Hardy fuckin rocked

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Hardy had kind of a big old-timey throwing motion that I always appreciated

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

SIGN CODY BELLINGER NOW!!!!!

Best we can do is a Christopher Morel bobblehead night on June 1st

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Recent research suggests that hitting dingers is a good thing to do

Jeter has to be the weirdest great player ever in terms of how he’s perceived. If you talk to any individual person, he’s likely to be wildly overrated or wildly underrated, but on balance he’s rated exactly as he should be

And it’s hard to divide the underrated/overrated crowds into clean camps either. The same sportswriters who wet themselves over his calm eyes and irreplaceable leadership repeatedly screwed him in the MVP voting in favor of sluggers with gaudy RBI totals, over the objections of statheads who laughed at his defense and scorned his intangibles

Just a strange career all around for a guy who strolled into the Hall of Fame

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Nodoze posted:

What does Joey Gallo have to do with having mediocre contact skills

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

JJ Hardy fuckin rocked

He was so much fun to watch during the year I lived in Baltimore.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

mcmagic posted:

i got my brain pudding from the jets

This checks out

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

He's had a single year with his batting average below league average and his OBP never has been while having elite power for a SS. Comparing him to Joey Gallo is straight up stupid. He's a good hitter regardless of how he achieves it.

This also ignores that he's at best the best defensive SS in baseball and at worst a top 3 defensive SS.

I only brought up Gallo because no one would call him a good hitter, obviously Lindor is better than him. My point was the ability to run into some homeruns doesn't automatically make you a good hitter or better at hitting than someone who can consistently hit for a high average

This all comes down to what you personally consider makes someone "good" at hitting. Would you say Lindor was a better hitter than Ichiro was? He only had a career 107 OPS+ , which is actually lower than Jeters

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Poque posted:

Best we can do is a Christopher Morel bobblehead night on June 1st

If it has eyeblack whiskers then I accept your terms

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Nodoze posted:

I only brought up Gallo because no one would call him a good hitter, obviously Lindor is better than him. My point was the ability to run into some homeruns doesn't automatically make you a good hitter or better at hitting than someone who can consistently hit for a high average

This all comes down to what you personally consider makes someone "good" at hitting. Would you say Lindor was a better hitter than Ichiro was? He only had a career 107 OPS+ , which is actually lower than Jeters

I never said Lindor was a better hitter than Jeter.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Lindor and Jeter both debuted at age 21 so we can actually look at their careers thru Lindor's current age for a comparison.

Lindor thru age 29: 42.7 WAR
Jeter thru age 29: 40.6 WAR

Pretty comparable!

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

How many gift baskets has Lindor given out tho

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Popete posted:

Lindor and Jeter both debuted at age 21 so we can actually look at their careers thru Lindor's current age for a comparison.

Pretty comparable!

And that's bWar. If you go by fWar it's about a 10 war difference

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Bregor posted:

If it has eyeblack whiskers then I accept your terms

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

lol please tell me the jersey thing is real

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I'll take David Eckstein. He wins and plays the game the right way

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Popete posted:

lol please tell me the jersey thing is real

It is, that's straight from the promo site haha. It's from his walk-off dinger against the White Sox

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Criminal Minded posted:

I'll take David Eckstein. He wins and plays the game the right way

I just remembered he played for the Jays for a year or two.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

It is, that's straight from the promo site haha. It's from his walk-off dinger against the White Sox

Well I guess I better buy my tickets soon

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Popete posted:

Pretty comparable!

Lindor thru age 29: 0.8 Leadership Above Replacement
Jeter thru age 29: 222.22 Leadership Above Replacement

Checkmate, nerd

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Unfortunately for Jeter his Leadership Above Replacement went negative in his age 30 season when his ego kept him at SS and pushed Arod to 3B

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
actually Jeter was selfless enough to allow A-Rod to move to third so A-Rod could, if only looking at his third base stats, have another HOF worthy career at a different position. wow, talk about pushing your teammates to excel!

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

R.D. Mangles posted:

SIGN CODY BELLINGER NOW!!!!!

Royals going to shock the world and sign him for 10y/$300M or something.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

maffew buildings posted:

actually Jeter was selfless enough to allow A-Rod to move to third so A-Rod could, if only looking at his third base stats, have another HOF worthy career at a different position. wow, talk about pushing your teammates to excel!

Jeter is the best offensive SS ever if you memory hole like 7 players and played SS defensively for many years

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Jeter is also the worst defensive shortstop of all time, according to Fangraphs.

In conclusion, Jeter is a land of contrasts.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Yeah but that only matters if SS is an important defensive position which I'll research and get back to you on

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Exodor posted:

Royals going to shock the world and sign him for 10y/$300M or something.

this would weirdly own

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

maffew buildings posted:

we can agree that arod is cool and good and should be in the hall of fame

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

you may not like it but this is what peak performance looks like

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Poque posted:

Oh you mean one of the greatest drone shots of all time?

https://twitter.com/WatchMarquee/status/1692006611760419077

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Oh you mean one of the greatest drone shots of all time?

https://twitter.com/WatchMarquee/status/1692006611760419077

gently caress do i ever want to go to a goddamn ballgame right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

more falafel please posted:

gently caress do i ever want to go to a goddamn ballgame right now

I havnt been to a ballgame in person since 2009 (or 2010?) when the Jays played the Cardinals. Blue Jays managed to avoid being swept at home and some angry Cardinals fans were harassing a kid in a wheelchair after the game.

And that was when my irrational hatred for a team they wouldnt play again for years started.