Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm thinking of jumping to 0711 to focus on the Hetz.

How much damage does the WVE do punching and kicking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Space Kablooey posted:

How much damage does the WVE do punching and kicking?

Should be 4/punch 9/kick. With all your weapons in the right arm you really don't want to punch with that one, and I can never remember if tanks can be punched.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Oh yeah you can't punch vehicles

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ardlen posted:

Maybe stomp the Hetz, and if it is already dead punch the Commando?

I don't think orders work like this unfortunately

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Captain Foo posted:

I don't think orders work like this unfortunately

The melee phase resolves after the shooting phase, so in this instance that contingency is possible.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Submitted to 0811, firing 2LL, 1 ML at the Hetzer

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Scintilla posted:

The melee phase resolves after the shooting phase, so in this instance that contingency is possible.

o7

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

submitted to operation stand on hetz and shoot com

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Space Kablooey posted:

I'm thinking of jumping to 0711 to focus on the Hetz.

submitted

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Space Kablooey posted:

Oh yeah you can't punch vehicles

You can but they have to be on an elevation.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
Orders in, going after the Hetz.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I think if i come out of this without getting crippled we should be in a pretty good place?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

I think if i come out of this without getting crippled we should be in a pretty good place?

Thread title?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Cityscape_[9994]: Turn 9

Stephanie heaved a sigh of relief as the Hetzer slid to a halt in front of her. The assault gun had stubbornly resisted all of their attempts to bring it down, and she had been seriously worried that it would manage to get a shot off. It spoke to the power of the AC/20 that the thought of even a simulated round from one smashing into her mech could send a shiver down her spine.

The killing blow had been somewhat improbable. After his autocannon had missed, Roger had followed up with a barrage of SRMs. Three of the missiles had flown too high, but the fourth struck the ground in front of the Hetzer and kept going, skittering across the tarmac like an oversized firecracker. The missile had slid beneath the Hetzer’s rear left wheel and detonated, blowing it off along with its opposite twin. The assault gun had lurched forwards, desperately trying to pull itself along on its two remaining wheels, but its chassis was too heavy and it only managed to make it a few metres before its front wheel drive gave out, leaving it stranded in the middle of the street.

Cautiously, Stephanie brought her Wyvern closer to the Hetzer, making sure to keep well outside its firing arc. The assault gun might be immobilised, but its main weapon was still deadly. Moving decisively, Stephanie delivered a vicious kick to the machine’s left side. The armour there had already been weakened by Archibald’s Blackjack, so the blow was even more devastating than usual. The Hetzer rocked violently as the Wyvern’s foot smashed into it, armour plates cracking and bowing inwards under the force of the impact. If a human crew had been inside, they would surely have been concussed at the very least.

“The Fusiliers are breaking off again,” Roger’s voice announced over the comms. “Probably another feigned retreat. Bruiser, how are you holding up?”

Louis’s Hunchback tossed off a lazy salute. The mech was still smoking from the pounding it had endured, but its armour was still just about intact. “Just fine, sir. My right side is a little thin, but I’ve still got plenty of fight left in me.” He punctuated his words by stomping down on the Hetzer’s front, grinding the vehicle down into the tarmac.

“Don’t be too heroic, Bruiser. Etienne is trying to grind us down, and so far he’s doing a good job of it. Taking out the Hetzer gives us more room to breathe, but we’re still not out of the woods yet. I’m open to suggestions on what to do next, but we’ll have to do it quickly, before the Fusiliers surround us again.”

Weapons fire for Blackjack BJ-1DB (Player):
-Fires Large Laser at Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Fusiliers); needs 7, rolls 6: Misses!
-Fires Large Laser at Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Fusiliers); needs 7, rolls 10: Hits Left Side! Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Fusiliers) takes 8 damage to Left Side, 14/22 Armour remaining.
-Fires Medium Laser at Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Fusiliers); needs 7, rolls 8: Hits Left Side! Narrow Profile reduces damage to 2! Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Fusiliers) takes 2 damage to Left Side, 12/22 Armour remaining.

Weapons fire for Wyvern WVE-6N (Player):
-Fires Large Laser at Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Fusiliers); needs 9, rolls 4: Misses!
-Fires Small Laser at Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Fusiliers); needs 9, rolls 6: Misses!
-Fires Small Laser at Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Fusiliers); needs 9, rolls 6: Misses!
-Fires SRM-6 at Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Fusiliers); needs 9, rolls 8: Misses!

Weapons fire for Hunchback HBK-4P (Player):
-Fires Medium Laser at Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers); needs 7, rolls 7: Hits Right Torso! Narrow Profile reduces damage to 2! Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers) takes 2 damage to Right Torso, 4/6 Armour remaining.
-Fires Medium Laser at Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers); needs 7, rolls 7: Hits Right Leg! Narrow Profile reduces damage to 2! Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers) takes 2 damage to Right Leg, 6/8 Armour remaining.
-Fires Medium Laser at Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers); needs 7, rolls 7: Hits Right Torso! Narrow Profile reduces damage to 2! Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers) takes 2 damage to Right Torso, 2/6 Armour remaining.
-Fires Medium Laser at Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers); needs 7, rolls 9: Hits Right Leg! Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers) takes 5 damage to Right Leg, 1/8 Armour remaining.
-Fires Medium Laser at Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers); needs 7, rolls 5: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers); needs 7, rolls 8: Hits Left Arm! Narrow Profile reduces damage to 2! Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers) takes 2 damage to Left Arm, 4/6 Armour remaining.
-Fires Small Laser at Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers); needs 7, rolls 7: Hits Left Torso! Narrow Profile reduces damage to 1! Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers) takes 2 damage to Left Torso, 5/6 Armour remaining.

Weapons fire for Victor VTR-9B (Player):
-Fires AC/20 at Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Fusiliers); needs 8, rolls 5: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Fusiliers); needs 8, rolls 7: Misses!
-Fires SRM-4 at Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Fusiliers); needs 8, rolls 9: Hits! Narrow Profile imposes -4 malus: number of missile hits reduced to 1! Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Fusiliers) takes 2 damage to Rear, 20/22 Armour remaining. Motive System Hit!
--Chance for Motive System Damage! Major Damage, Vehicle Immobilised!

--

Weapons fire for Vedette (Standard) (Fusiliers):
-Fires AC/5 at Hunchback HBK-4P (Player); needs 7, rolls 9: Hits Right Torso! Hunchback HBK-4P (Player) takes 5 damage to Right Torso, 11/20 Armour remaining.

Weapons fire for Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers):
-Fires LRM-10 at Hunchback HBK-4P (Player); needs 4, rolls 9: 6 Missiles Hit! Hunchback HBK-4P (Player) takes 5 damage to Right Torso (6/20 Armour remaining) and 1 damage to Left Arm (15/16 Armour remaining).

Weapons fire for Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers):
-Fires Medium Laser at Hunchback HBK-4P (Player); needs 6, rolls 3: Misses!
-Fires SRM-4 at Hunchback HBK-4P (Player); needs 6, rolls 8: 2 Missiles Hit! Hunchback HBK-4P (Player) takes 2 damage to Left Torso (16/20 Armour remaining) and Right Arm (6/16 Armour remaining).
-Fires SRM-6 at Hunchback HBK-4P (Player); needs 6, rolls 11: 3 Missiles Hit! Hunchback HBK-4P (Player) takes 2 damage to Right Torso (4/20 Armour remaining), Left Torso (14/20 Armour remaining) and Right Leg (18/20 Armour remaining).

Weapons fire for Firestarter FS9-A (Fusiliers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Sentinel STN-3KA (Fusiliers):
-Fires Large Laser at Hunchback HBK-4P (Player); needs 6, rolls 3: Misses!
-Fires Small Laser at Hunchback HBK-4P (Player); needs 10, rolls 8: Misses!
-Fires SRM-2 at Hunchback HBK-4P (Player); needs 6, rolls 6: 2 Missiles Hit! Hunchback HBK-4P (Player) takes 2 damage to Left Torso (12/20 Armour remaining) and Left Torso (10/20 Armour remaining).

Weapons fire for Wolverine WVR-6D (Fusiliers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Goblin (SRM) (Fusiliers):
-Fires SRM-6 at Hunchback HBK-4P (Player); needs 8, rolls 4: Misses!
-Fires SRM-6 at Hunchback HBK-4P (Player); needs 8, rolls 7: Misses!
-Fires SRM-6 at Hunchback HBK-4P (Player); needs 8, rolls 3: Misses!

Weapons fire for Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Fusiliers):
-Holds fire!

Physical attacks for Hunchback HBK-4P (Player):
-Kicks Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Fusiliers); needs 2, rolls 7: Hits Front! Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Fusiliers) takes 10 damage to Front, 20/30 Armour remaining.

Physical attacks for Wyvern WVE-6N (Player):
-Kicks Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Fusiliers); needs 4, rolls 7: Hits Left Side! Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Fusiliers) takes 9 damage to Left Side, 3/22 Armour remaining. Through Armour Critical!
--Critical Chance in Vehicle Interior! One Critical Hit sustained! Crew Stunned!

Blackjack BJ-1DB (Player) gains 20 heat, sinks 17 heat and is now at 3 heat.

Hunchback HBK-4P (Player) gains 20 heat, sinks 22 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Victor VTR-9B (Player) gains 15 heat, sinks 15 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Wyvern WVE-6N (Player) gains 17 heat, sinks 12 heat and is now at 8 heat. Overheating!

--

Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers) gains 12 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 4 heat.

Firestarter FS9-A (Fusiliers) gains 6 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 8 heat. Overheating!

Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers) gains 4 heat, sinks 4 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Sentinel STN-3KA (Fusiliers) gains 13 heat, sinks 11 heat and is now at 3 heat.

Wolverine WVR-6D (Fusiliers) gains 4 heat, sinks 4 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Piloting checks for Hunchback HBK-4P (Player):
Took 20+ Damage: needs 6, rolls 7: Succeeds!

Firestarter FS9-A (Fusiliers) flees the battlefield! (Counts as destroyed)

Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers) turned while running on pavement (Hex 0608); must pass a piloting test to avoid skidding out of control! Needs 4, rolls 8: Succeeds!

Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers) turned while running on pavement (Hex 1006); must pass a piloting test to avoid skidding out of control! Needs 6, rolls 6: Succeeds!

Sentinel STN-3KA (Fusiliers) turned while running on pavement (Hex 0708); must pass a piloting test to avoid skidding out of control! Needs 4, rolls 6: Succeeds!

Sentinel STN-3KA (Fusiliers) turned while running on pavement (Hex 1006); must pass a piloting test to avoid skidding out of control! Needs 5, rolls 6: Succeeds!

Player Status

Enemy Status

Special Abilities:
-Dodge: Enables the pilot to make a dodge manoeuvre instead of a physical attack, inflicting a +2 accuracy penalty against enemy physical attacks during the melee phase.
-Evasive Action: By forfeiting the right to fire during the shooting phase, the pilot gains the ability to move evasively, inflicting an additional +1 penalty against incoming weapons fire and physical attacks. The unit must use its Running MP, have undamaged hips, and will gain an extra +2 heat at the end of the round.
-Hopping Jack: Pilot suffers a +2 penalty when firing after jumping instead of +3.
-Multi-Tasker: When splitting fire between multiple targets, secondary targeting penalties are reduced by 1.
-Rangemaster: Range modifiers for long and short range are switched.
-Toughness: Grants bonus to consciousness rolls.

Relevant Design Quirks:
-Battle Fists: The mech receives a -1 accuracy bonus when punching.
-Cramped Cockpit: The pilot suffers a +1 penalty on piloting rolls.
-Extended Torso Twist: The mech can twist its torso one hex further than usual.
-Narrow Profile: The mech takes less damage from incoming weapons fire if the margin of success is +1 or lower. Direct fire weapons deal half damage, while cluster attacks receive a -4 penalty when determining the number of hits.
-Poor Workmanship: The unit takes a +1 penalty on critical rolls.

--

Primary Objectives:
-Eliminate enemy commander (Etienne Decimis) (0/1)
-Destroy at least four Fusilier battlemechs (2/4)

Secondary Objectives:
-Destroy the statue of Marquis Rousseau Decimis (Hex 1619) (50,000 C-Bill reward)
-Destroy City Militia Base (100,000 C-Bill reward) Complete!
-Destroy Militia Fuel Depot (150,000 C-Bill reward)

--

Next Orders Due: Saturday 10th 9:00PM GMT.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Narrow Profile putting in some crazy work this turn.

Love the description for the improbable SRM immobilization on the Hetzer.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

hell yeah, one more mech down, and the hetzer is way less scary now

seems like a reposition/cooldown turn? doesn't seem like there'll be many good shots, other than maybe finishing off the hetzer

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mf narrow profile rear end commando ugh

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

Mf narrow profile rear end commando ugh

Me Narrow Profiling: Haha gently caress yeah!!! Yes!!

Me being Narrow Profile'd: Well this loving sucks. What the gently caress.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Space Kablooey posted:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I have a terrible LRM shot at the WVR and nothing else.

Should we run South?

Btw can the HBK step over the hetz now that it's standing over it?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Space Kablooey posted:

Btw can the HBK step over the hetz now that it's standing over it?

Yes, it can move in any direction it wants.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
Well, that worked out. Sorry for being away and getting us into this mess.

What is everyone thinking this turn?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I'm surprised the simulated Hetzer crew wasn't forced to bail out.

If you want to keep up the "break them apart piecemeal" tactic you could always knock out the vedette.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Nice write up on the skipping missile. Narrow Profile shooting for MVP again this round.

I saw we start working the Vedette and finish off the Hetzer. We can move to where the 'Mechs can't see us but might need to double check LOS for the Griffin.

0511 is the pretty solid choice for the VTR no matter what our objective is this turn and doesn't put the VTR in the back field.

Looks like next turn the 'Mechs will rush down that alley the WVR is facing, and maybe the COM could turn around and flank to 0708, or just move with the ball. They would be able to get into our little courtyard around 0612-0911 if they all rushed. It would give them a commanding view.

So the question is what do we do with our Hunchback? Everyone else can jump, but the HBK isn't going anywhere beyond the courtyard. Maybe back up to 1011 and I move to 0912 and we finish the Hetzer while the other two move on the Vedette? Should the 'Mechs rush in the HBK would be on one side of the rush and the VTR on the other.

They're all running hot, as are we. Next turn they'll be clear of heat and so should we.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Space Kablooey posted:

lol

i want to know what etienne is up to, not having moved at all yet

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Imo shooting at the Hetzer is a waste of time, heat and ammo. It's not an objective and it can't fight back.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Imo shooting at the Hetzer is a waste of time, heat and ammo. It's not an objective and it can't fight back.

At first I thought the same thing. If we all stayed below its front arc it's as good as dead. However, it's overlooking the courtyard space and the crew will be back in action next turn. Unless we can get the HBK out of the courtyard, we'll need that space to maneuver for the next turn.

We've already made the mistake of not addressing the Hetzer once, I don't want to do it twice. If anyone can figure out where the HBK can escape to, we won't need to deal with the Hetzer. As for heat and ammo, we do need to make sure we bleed out heat this turn. We also have powerful enough energy weapons to hopefully finish the job.

Is shooting the Hetzer at -4 to hit for this turn due to crew stunned? That can hopefully negate the Narrow Profile.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
Does the Vedettes AC5 actually have a minimum range? Just don't want to get burned again by that lol. If it does, and we want to keep fighting in this area, the HBK can get right in the Vedettes face and only worry about the MG.

Otter Madness fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 8, 2024

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

AC/5s have a minimum range of 3

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
So this is really out there, but we could drop into the alley from 0608 to 0807. HBK reverses to 0708, VTR can jump to 0709, WVE to 0807 to cool down, and BJ to 0608. As the Hetz is immobile, even with the jumps we should be able to finish it, and my jump let's me throw in a kick as well.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

What is the effect of crew stunned

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

What is the effect of crew stunned

quote:

Crew Stunned: Damage from the critical hit shakes the crew
compartment, disorienting the crewmen. During the follow-
ing turn, the Combat Vehicle may move no faster than Cruising
speed, and may take no other actions (firing weapons and so on).
After that, the vehicle may act normally. Multiple Crew
Stunned results in the same turn extend the number of
turns for which these effects last. If the vehicle has suffered
Commander Hit and Driver Hit results, and then takes a Crew
Stunned hit (even if all this occurs in the same phase), treat
the latter result as Crew Killed. This outcome has no effect on
any infantry units the vehicle carries.

I copied this from my PDF of Total Warfare. It splits across pages, so I hope I got everything. So it's still immobilized from the wheel loss so I think we get a -4 To-Hit. But next firing turn after this they'll be able to shoot at anyone in the front arc.

Otter Madness posted:

So this is really out there, but we could drop into the alley from 0608 to 0807. HBK reverses to 0708, VTR can jump to 0709, WVE to 0807 to cool down, and BJ to 0608. As the Hetz is immobile, even with the jumps we should be able to finish it, and my jump let's me throw in a kick as well.

What's the rest of the Lance's thoughts about this setup?

I'd rather not head backwards away from the GRF and start working the Vedette instead of having all 4 of us working the Hetzer. We could also get the HBK pinned again in the same nook. We're starting to gain local fire superiority in the area too, so things might start getting easier.

Scintilla - Would attacking the Hetzer from 0511 be a left side arc shot?

Amechwarrior fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 8, 2024

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Amechwarrior posted:

Scintilla - Would attacking the Hetzer from 0511 be a left side arc shot?

No, that would be a frontal shot. The only hexes that would give a left side shot are 0711 and 0712.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ok so for positioning the hetz can’t shoot this turn, and can’t move at all

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

If we want to start working on the Vedette, I think we will have to work on the Hetzer to clear out its threat anyway for after it wakes up.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Yes, that's why I posted earlier on the thread that the HBK backup to 1011 and I move to 0912 to finish the Hetz from the rear while the VTR moves to 0511 and the WVE could probably just stay put at 7 hexes and both take on the Vedette. I don't want to run the VTR all the way back into short range as we'll need to forward next turn.

This splits us on both sides of the road the 'Mechs are likely to run down, we'll be surrounding them. With clumping up in 0608 area, we're just back to getting surrounded again next turn.

If we want to give the HBK more mobility next turn we could put it in 0711 and the WVE could take 0912 and I would backup to 1011. This does give the HBK room in the courtyard, and left side shots at the Hetz for the kill. But myself and the WVE don't have as great odds vs the Vedette.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Would 0708 have LOS from anything except the Hetzer? Someone could just take a couple steps back and put the tank out of its misery.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm okay with staying put and LRMing the Vedette yeah. I can add a kick to the Hetz too

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Y'know, every time you come up against a ground-pounder, you wish you could do the thing they talked about in one of the source books, how the very first 'Mech pilot guy just ground his foot into one of the tanks and destroyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

painedforever posted:

Y'know, every time you come up against a ground-pounder, you wish you could do the thing they talked about in one of the source books, how the very first 'Mech pilot guy just ground his foot into one of the tanks and destroyed it.

I mean i could stand in place and stomp it again but then the vedette gets very good shots at me