Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
The previous convention was the basically the Senate would approve President's picks unless they were blatantly extreme or incompetent --- in which case they would generally approve the slightly-more-acceptable replacement. (Robert Bork was rejected but Anthony Kennedy was approved, Miera was rejected by Alito was approved, etc.)

There is of course nothing illegal about the Senate not doing that, but it's a part of the pattern of GOP trying to prevent the country from actually being governed unless they have 100% control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Lol Thomas splitting hairs to an incredible degree here

He's saying that because no states at the time exercised this power over national elections, only over state elections, that this clearly wasn't the intent of the amendment

Papercut fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 8, 2024

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

Lol Roberts isn't buying it, it's joever

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

archduke.iago posted:

Lol Roberts isn't buying it, it's joever

At work and can’t listen. He’s not buying what?

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

Roberts (and Kav and Thomas) were going after the idea that the insurrection clause could empower states, rather than empowering the federal government only. They're teeing up a reversal on the grounds that the states don't have the authority to enforce it I think.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

archduke.iago posted:

Roberts (and Kav and Thomas) were going after the idea that the insurrection clause could empower states, rather than empowering the federal government only. They're teeing up a reversal on the grounds that the states don't have the authority to enforce it I think.

Who the hell would enforce it then? Elections are managed by the states.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

How convenient that states deserve more power for things that Republicans don’t like, ie. abortions, but not things like this

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

KillHour posted:

Individual states deciding on their own whether someone is eligible to be president didn't really make any sense from the beginning. The actual determination of whether someone's allowed to be president pretty much fundamentally has to happen at the federal level, after which the states would use their own state laws to remove him for being an ineligible candidate.

"Who would actually make that call?" is a pretty good question. The only answer that really makes any practical sense at all is "the federal courts", though there's always the chance the SC could throw a curveball and put that determination in the hands of Congress or something instead.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

KillHour posted:

They're basically saying that section 3 can allow the federal govt to refuse to seat someone who is ineligible, but doesn't allow states to remove that person from the ballot

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

CO keeping Trump off the ballot was always a long shot, and listening to this now, it seems dead. The lawyer isn't making a very good argument, and the Justices are shooting him down every time.

The Justices are saying, "Other states will do this to other candidates they don't like in the future, right?" The lawyer is basically saying, "But you can say this is, like, super rare, and so it won't happen all that often in the future."

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Main Paineframe posted:

"Who would actually make that call?" is a pretty good question

Objections sustained during the certification of the vote? Rejection of all electors pledged to that candidate?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Yeah it doesn't seem like it's gonna be a close decision based on this questioning

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Main Paineframe posted:

Individual states deciding on their own whether someone is eligible to be president didn't really make any sense from the beginning. The actual determination of whether someone's allowed to be president pretty much fundamentally has to happen at the federal level, after which the states would use their own state laws to remove him for being an ineligible candidate.

"Who would actually make that call?" is a pretty good question. The only answer that really makes any practical sense at all is "the federal courts", though there's always the chance the SC could throw a curveball and put that determination in the hands of Congress or something instead.
The 14th says that Congress enforces it through legislation, which they did a long time ago by writing a disqualification law. That law was largely pared back (as I understand it), but the core is still on the books. Which trump hasn't been charged which, much less convicted of.

The idea that states can determine eligibility is dumb.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Arguably it's going to boil down to 'the courts do not want to be a venue for reversing presumption of innocence'. Essentially, that it would be an immediate court clogger that would have negative effect and further make partizan the courts as a political beatstick, you can just imagine the last second drama of a hack state judge issuing an order right at the ballot printing deadline. Disqualification is likely to now be found to require a conviction, an actual war, or an objection in the joint session or be a question posed after the actual election once the issue is truly germane. The states not being obligated to enforce the constitution section by section seems like dubious precedent itself however.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Papercut posted:

Yeah it doesn't seem like it's gonna be a close decision based on this questioning
Nope, it’s cooked

Probably going to be 9-0 or maybe 8-1, but even the liberals are agreeing with the idea that states don’t have the authority to do what CO did

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Meanwhile Trump is never getting the immunity he craves for, correct?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Grouchio posted:

Meanwhile Trump is never getting the immunity he craves for, correct?

Is that in this case as well?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

No that’s another case and I don’t think he wins that one

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Papercut posted:

Lol Thomas splitting hairs to an incredible degree here

He's saying that because no states at the time exercised this power over national elections, only over state elections, that this clearly wasn't the intent of the amendment

I really hope Thomas dies sooner rather than later and it'd be ironic for Biden to get to replace him considering Biden's a big reason we were stuck with him in the first place.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Evil Fluffy posted:

I really hope Thomas dies sooner rather than later and it'd be ironic for Biden to get to replace him considering Biden's a big reason we were stuck with him in the first place.

These fucks have some of the best healthcare in our modern world outside of being a billionaire, that our taxes pay for.

Also Thomas also has learned from reptiles to just completely conserve his energy and not make any unnecessary movements when not under the metaphorical heat lamp that is a donor's yacht. It's conservatism straight to his cold blooded core, and he will probably outlive all of us.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I wonder if years from now if legal scholars are going to be reading the courts ruling on this and deciding this was a work of partisanship or if they are going to consider it legitimate work.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

“Chief Justice Roberts noted that the challengers’ position would have empowered the former Confederate states to determine whether candidates were disqualified from holding federal office.“

Fair point.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Well, now that oral arguments are wrapped I’m sticking to a prediction of 9-0 but I could see it going 8-1 with Soto on the outs maybe. I don’t think it’ll even be a 6-3 but then what do I know

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

thrawn527 posted:

The Justices are saying, "Other states will do this to other candidates they don't like in the future, right?" The lawyer is basically saying, "But you can say this is, like, super rare, and so it won't happen all that often in the future."

It's unfortunately not rare in that Trump himself will likely cause this issue to occur again

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

smackfu posted:

“Chief Justice Roberts noted that the challengers’ position would have empowered the former Confederate states to determine whether candidates were disqualified from holding federal office.“

Fair point.

Only if one forgets that initially those states were stripped of such oversight entirely, and then later bound by the Voting Rights Act until Roberts decided to slip their leash.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kaal posted:

Only if one forgets that initially those states were stripped of such oversight entirely, and then later bound by the Voting Rights Act until Roberts decided to slip their leash.

It's funny for Roberts to worry about states doing this after the nakedly political "oh well this isn't a matter for Federal courts" decision when confronted with the GOP's hosed up Gerrymandering of Wisconsin. He's nothing if not consistent in pushing for outcomes that benefit the GOP the most (IE: not wanting Dobbs to strike down Roe because he knew it'd hurt the GOP badly in elections).

Also considering that Congress gave a blanket clearance to everyone after the Civil War WRT the 14th amendment, any state that did try this poo poo would've gotten smacked down judicially if not militarily as well for trying that poo poo. It's not like the Confederates had any issue disenfranchising people after the Civil War either.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
SO what i think is going to come down:

"Nope, this is a federal question, not something the states can decide. (Please ignore the fact that we let states decide all sorts of other federal questions when it comes to voting, thanks, love and kisses). Now, if Trump is convicted in the DC case he'll not be eligible since the 14th would automatically trigger, so it doesn't matter if he's on the ballot or not. Unless of course we stall things for so long that Trump is elected before the trial can complete, in which case he'll pardon himself and make all this moot. Yeah...about that, we are gonna schedule hearings on if Trump can be tried or not sometime in the next season, maybe December. Sound good? Ok? No one has a problem? Great!" --Roberts

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That’s the thing…they love federalism when it helps their cases, but hate it when it comes to civil rights issues

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Cimber posted:

SO what i think is going to come down:

"Nope, this is a federal question, not something the states can decide. (Please ignore the fact that we let states decide all sorts of other federal questions when it comes to voting, thanks, love and kisses). Now, if Trump is convicted in the DC case he'll not be eligible since the 14th would automatically trigger, so it doesn't matter if he's on the ballot or not. Unless of course we stall things for so long that Trump is elected before the trial can complete, in which case he'll pardon himself and make all this moot. Yeah...about that, we are gonna schedule hearings on if Trump can be tried or not sometime in the next season, maybe December. Sound good? Ok? No one has a problem? Great!" --Roberts

I feel they're going to add in some special sauce about not being convicted specifically of the crime of only insurrection and that it has to be 1,000% turbo-guilty of that exact crime whose definition we've put on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the leopard" and it only applies to Democrats in the future, so even if he is found guilty in the DC case it won't count because gently caress you liberal cry more about it yes we're ignoring the long held tradition of how the 14th was implemented after the civil war according to traditionalists we don't give a gently caress get bent.

This is of course as you say, all on the optimistic assumption that they don't just sandbag the thing entirely for the better part of a year and let it all play out somewhere else so they can duck the issue for the election then swoop in and set things right according to the particulars of the fascist leaning of society at that time.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

We continue to march to the timeline of Trump on every ballot but not immune from his felonies.

jeeves posted:

Also Thomas also has learned from reptiles to just completely conserve his energy and not make any unnecessary movements

How is this so loving accurate

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
SCOTUS is not going to save the Democrats from the iceberg they are heading for, full steam ahead. They're going to have to beat Trump at the polls. If democracy is at stake I'd start by directly giving the voters things they want via executive authority, but it seems like they'd rather scold and fearmonger about the end of democracy just like in 2020. The Justices seem very skeptical. I agree that it feels like 8-1 or 7-2.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

FistEnergy posted:

SCOTUS is not going to save the Democrats from the iceberg they are heading for, full steam ahead. They're going to have to beat Trump at the polls. If democracy is at stake I'd start by directly giving the voters things they want via executive authority, but it seems like they'd rather scold and fearmonger about the end of democracy just like in 2020. The Justices seem very skeptical. I agree that it feels like 8-1 or 7-2.

A political party may not be punished for an attempted coup if its leader is able to postpone his conviction until the next election

Voter nullification

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

FistEnergy posted:

“If you want to preserve democracy you will need to embrace the very authoritarian consolidation of power to a single autocrat that you are campaigning against.”

Is some galaxy brained poo poo.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Murgos posted:

“If you want to preserve democracy you will need to embrace the very authoritarian consolidation of power to a single autocrat that you are campaigning against.”

Is some galaxy brained poo poo.

Lmao using the power the executive actually already has is more authoritarian than using the courts to delete a rival is some universe brain poo poo

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Lmao using the power the executive actually already has is more authoritarian than using the courts to delete a rival is some universe brain poo poo

If courts delete people who did not actually do insurrections, we're already way past the fascism boundary

In 2028 SCOTUS is going to have to rule, "No Kamala Harris did not do an insurrection when she failed to pull a permit to refurbish her bathroom" a few times, because that sort of poo poo is coming regardless of what they say this year

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

If Biden really wants to win, all he needs to do is authorize the drone strike

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Devor posted:

If courts delete people who did not actually do insurrections, we're already way past the fascism boundary

In 2028 SCOTUS is going to have to rule, "No Kamala Harris did not do an insurrection when she failed to pull a permit to refurbish her bathroom" a few times, because that sort of poo poo is coming regardless of what they say this year

Whether Jan 6 was an insurrection or a disorganized riot and trump’s level of participation is hardly settled and can be argued several ways that are all coherent. Deleting Trump over 1/6 is far more damaging to the existing order than not, and if I’m correct the 3 liberals on the court are going to agree

As an aside nobody is going to try to delete Kamala from the ballot. Republicans would absolutely love to run against her

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Devor posted:

Nah they'll refuse to take up the case as moot because Harris won't be the nominee, even if Biden wins reelection and she's VP in 2028 because nobody likes Kamala Harris and she's not going to convince people like Newsom not to run against her because she'd be the easiest Dem candidate to beat in the past several decades.

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Whether Jan 6 was an insurrection or a disorganized riot and trump’s level of participation is hardly settled and can be argued several ways that are all coherent. Deleting Trump over 1/6 is far more damaging to the existing order than not, and if I’m correct the 3 liberals on the court are going to agree

Please tell us more how enforcing the 14th amendment's ban on insurrectionists being allowed to hold office is more damaging to the country than just pretending it doesn't exist because angry fascists will continue to be angry.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

smackfu posted:

Fair point.

Its deader than poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

Nah they'll refuse to take up the case as moot because Harris won't be the nominee, even if Biden wins reelection and she's VP in 2028 because nobody likes Kamala Harris and she's not going to convince people like Newsom not to run against her because she'd be the easiest Dem candidate to beat in the past several decades.

Please tell us more how enforcing the 14th amendment's ban on insurrectionists being allowed to hold office is more damaging to the country than just pretending it doesn't exist because angry fascists will continue to be angry.

You would need a strong consensus that it was an insurrection. You may feel confident that it was, but that consensus does not exist generally. Without that consensus, it would be extremely damaging