Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

badass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
https://x.com/Mrgunsngear/status/1754519420687307207?s=20

https://x.com/CollinRugg/status/1754588036967375106?s=20

https://x.com/realestatedude0/status/1754556189793562862?s=20

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
yikes looks pretty bad

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

uhhhhhhh

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Man, I'll be so pissed if I lose the betting pool on a technicality.

No, actually you can't get the prize because it didn't collapse due to a earthquake specifically

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Californians get mad when there's not enough water and also get mad when there's too much water

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

FOOD GROWS WHERE WATER FLOWS

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
CONGRESS CREATED DUST BOWL

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

titty_baby_ posted:

FOOD wildfire fuel GROWS WHERE WATER FLOWS

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

might wanna get used to using "lived in" to describe that building, try it on for size, walk around the store, see if theres room at the big toe, because that building is loving past tense

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

It's just chaparral, n b d

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

smoobles posted:

Californians get mad when there's not enough water and also get mad when there's too much water

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
This wasn't even an ArkStorm!

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

SirPablo posted:

This wasn't even an ArkStorm!

It could still happen be patient

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

https://twitter.com/iamrxmiro/status/1754567879146844593

someone think of the building manager

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

maybe its designed to leak menacingly

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

That building is collapsing in the next 5 years

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
We can’t say if the building is unsafe before it kills someone.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

finally a parking garage that pisses back

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

"Hurricanes are getting so intense, scientists propose a Category 6"

:tif: but with water

quote:

When meteorologists began using the five-step Saffir-Simpson scale to measure hurricane intensity in the 1970s, a Category 5 storm represented oblivion. Such a cyclone, with sustained winds of at least 157 mph, could flatten any structure of the era, so there was no reason to give the most ferocious tier of hurricanes an upper bound.

But as the planet warms, storms are increasingly surpassing what was once considered extreme, according to research published Monday. Now, two scientists are proposing a new label they say a growing number of storms already merit: Category 6.

“Climate change has demonstrably made the strongest storms stronger,” said Michael Wehner, a senior scientist at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. “Introduction of this hypothetical Category 6 would raise awareness of that.”

Wehner and James Kossin, a distinguished science adviser at the First Street Foundation, suggest the Category 6 label could go to any tropical cyclone with sustained winds of at least 192 mph — an intensity that five storms have surpassed since 2013.

Meteorologists have for years debated whether the current hurricane scale adequately captures the hazards of today’s storms — it only takes winds into account, not pounding waves or flooding — and whether a new top-end category is needed. With the new research, the scientists say they are formalizing that discussion, in hopes of spurring more academic debate about the ways climate change is heightening weather hazards as we know them.

“Having [Category 5] mean anything above a certain threshold is becoming more and more problematic,” Kossin said. “It tends to understate the risk.”

There is no sign that government hurricane forecasters will revise their rating scale anytime soon — and some meteorologists disagree on whether it should be adopted. Still, the proposal underscores how dramatically the potential for extreme storms has surged.

As global temperatures rise, oceanic and atmospheric warming are more often creating a prime environment for storms to rapidly strengthen and swirl more forcefully than ever.

The scientists predict the trend will only accelerate in warm basins such as the Gulf of Mexico, where some sea surface temperature readings surpassed 100 degrees amid record global warmth last summer. Scientists forecast the threat will worsen once planetary temperatures average 2 degrees Celsius (3.6 degrees Fahrenheit) above preindustrial levels. In that scenario, they say the risk of Category 6 storms in the Gulf will double.

Climate change is intensifying hurricanes
The research adds to a growing body of understanding — and proof — that global warming translates to stronger storms.

After all, warmer air holds more moisture. And more heat means more energy for storms to feed on and violently unleash. Tropical cyclones effectively serve to even out clashes between high and low pressure and hot and cool temperatures, returning the meteorological environment to equilibrium.

Global warming has already translated to increasing odds of major hurricanes around the world, according to research Kossin led that was published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences in 2020. Other studies have found that as temperatures rise, more hurricanes are undergoing what meteorologists call rapid intensification, and they are doing so at accelerating rates.

Kossin and Wehner’s latest paper adds more detail and scientific rigor to our understanding of what climate change means for the most intense hurricanes.
etc etc blahblahblah

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2024/02/05/hurricanes-category6/

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they only benefit of a cat 6 on the scale is to employers demanding you show up because the huge deadly storm outside is just a cat 5 now

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I like cool big numbers on natural phenomena that spell CERTAIN DOOM to some but are fun to watch for others

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

maybe its designed to leak menacingly

been saying this to doctors

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

looking forward to maybe an inch of rain tomorrow here in phoenix

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
My flight from Vegas to Burbank got cancelled, flew to Palm Springs since my friend was on that plane anyway and it was technically reachable. My partner picked me up through the rain and we had to call 911 for someone in the far left lane of the freeway stopped with no hazards and the driver outside in the pouring rain. Came back to my apartment and there's a huge puddle on the floor from the leaking roof and found out the landlord cheaped out on getting this repaired the last time it leaked last year.

ARKstorm got me good :rip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqUWxDxaKZM

I like this guy's office hours videos on California weather and climate. Check out 17:30 where he starts showing satellite imagery and look how far down south this atmospheric river goes.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

god drat the sight of those campers flooded out like that is awful

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbKkkeMZQqI

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Rain and 50 this weekend then back to a short stint of winter.. so that's nice.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

plz contact before leaving negative review for collapsed high rise thx

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Weren't there a bunch of incredibly similar parking garage videos taken before that building collapsed in Miami?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I wouldn't buy a new-built anything. You want your building to have survived some poo poo, preferably decades upon decades of some poo poo.

A new building, god knows what cheap garbage they made it out of.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

PostNouveau posted:

I wouldn't buy a new-built anything. You want your building to have survived some poo poo, preferably decades upon decades of some poo poo.

A new building, god knows what cheap garbage they made it out of.

As a kid I used to think that Calvin's dad explanation about how bridges decide their max load to be a silly and funny thing. Only now I do realize just how wise he is

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

look bub its actually super efficient to get mold and fall apart 6 months after opening a new structure

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Any moron can spend a billion dollars making a building that doesn't fall down when it rains. It takes a highly paid team of expert engineers to build a house using cotton candy.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

SixteenShells posted:

Any moron can spend a billion dollars making a building that doesn't fall down when it rains. It takes a highly paid team of expert engineers to build a house using cotton candy.

Pro: saves the climate with its incredible r values
Con: dissolves when it rains

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

TehSaurus posted:

Pro: saves the climate with its incredible r values
Con: dissolves when it rains

r-valued engineers

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Bilirubin posted:

"Hurricanes are getting so intense, scientists propose a Category 6"

:tif: but with water

etc etc blahblahblah

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2024/02/05/hurricanes-category6/

It's like Pacific Rim where the monsters keep getting bigger except we are all actually going to die, lol

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Bip Roberts posted:

CERTAIN DOOM to some but are fun to watch for others

didn't Pinhead say this?

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

this weather is some loving bullshit I’ll tell ya what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU