Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
is that the one where ssd prices spiked for a while because coinerz thought it was going to be the new hottness?

oh and then some jokes about turning every part of a computer as some coinz's proof of ____

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Kinda surprised Samsung didn't pay some crypto bro off the books to create a Proof of RAM coin

They keep getting called out every time production is cut for any reason whatsoever, so they should artificially increase demand, instead.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
As frustrating as politics and climate discussions are to have with "real people", AI talk has me at a new level. Just the other day my dad seemed to think he was pulling an ace out of his sleeve with "you say they're flawed, but what will you say when we make a database of truth so you can look up and debunk lies and fake news right away?"

He's just my dad, but plenty of other credulous newspaper and tech journal readers still insist Elon musk is a "genius with personality problems". Young people assure me AI will solve climate change. A girl at work insists EVs create 10x more emissions than ICES and she will not be swayed.

Gets a guy feeling like they just want peace in the world.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

BRJurgis posted:

A girl at work insists EVs create 10x more emissions than ICES and she will not be swayed.

I have no idea what her argue was, but lithium EV as there now are bad for the environment, not because of the technology itself, but because business practices behind EV vehicles.

NASA can't come out with that new Sulfur battery soon enough IMO.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Back Hack posted:

I have no idea what her argue was, but lithium EV as there now are bad for the environment, not because of the technology itself, but because business practices behind EV vehicles.

NASA can't come out with that new Sulfur battery soon enough IMO.

It's ok, we discovered more lithium on tribal lands in the US, so we get the opportunity to steal from the natives again.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Listen, I'm the one that makes my car smell like farts, not some new fangled battery.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

BRJurgis posted:

As frustrating as politics and climate discussions are to have with "real people", AI talk has me at a new level. Just the other day my dad seemed to think he was pulling an ace out of his sleeve with "you say they're flawed, but what will you say when we make a database of truth so you can look up and debunk lies and fake news right away?"

He's just my dad, but plenty of other credulous newspaper and tech journal readers still insist Elon musk is a "genius with personality problems". Young people assure me AI will solve climate change. A girl at work insists EVs create 10x more emissions than ICES and she will not be swayed.

All of this has just become politics. I've known people who insist with religious conviction that charging an EV at home costs $60 a charge.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BRJurgis posted:

"Tech will solve climate change" has been a popular view for a long time, the AI stuff is just the newest spin on an old favorite.

As for why it's so popular, that makes perfect sense when you add on the bit they leave unsaid: "Tech will solve climate change, so I won't have to change my lifestyle at all".

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

PhazonLink posted:

why not just use projectors for ads?

Because they already do that so they have to come up with something new to sell.

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

"Tech will solve climate change" has been a popular view for a long time, the AI stuff is just the newest spin on an old favorite.

As for why it's so popular, that makes perfect sense when you add on the bit they leave unsaid: "Tech will solve climate change, so I won't have to change my lifestyle at all".

Self-imposed lifestyle change isn't any kind of solution either. The problems are systemic and the kids these days can see that there needs to be a miracle solution at this point - it's not that AI will solve climate change, it's that nothing else is going to either so they might as well pin their hopes on something magical.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

TheBlackVegetable posted:

Self-imposed lifestyle change isn't any kind of solution either. The problems are systemic and the kids these days can see that there needs to be a miracle solution at this point - it's not that AI will solve climate change, it's that nothing else is going to either so they might as well pin their hopes on something magical.

I’ve decided to just start calling objectively awful things “insanely good”. Climate change is unstoppable so I might as well be in-favour of it.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

BiggerBoat posted:

This is fine

https://www.vice.com/en/article/g5ynmm/ai-launches-nukes-in-worrying-war-simulation-i-just-want-to-have-peace-in-the-world

AI Launches Nukes In ‘Worrying’ War Simulation: ‘I Just Want to Have Peace in the World’

WarGames was too optimistic.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Freakazoid_ posted:

WarGames was too optimistic.

predict the next word in this sentence:

"we should launch the..."

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Spanish Inquisition

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

TheBlackVegetable posted:

Assuming they'd ever happen, systemtic changes would still impact peoples lifestyles though. I think that's important to realize because sometimes I get the impression that people do think if we did changes "systematically" from the top down, that their lives would be unaltered, as opposed to them doing individual changes on their own.

But both approaches would likely entail a lot of changes, different changes perhaps, though I think there's plenty of overlap.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

All of this has just become politics. I've known people who insist with religious conviction that charging an EV at home costs $60 a charge.

If you live in California and are served by PG&E or SDGE they might be right.

Even then it’s probably closer to $40, though.

Tacier fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 8, 2024

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Nervous posted:

Spanish Inquisition

nobody will expect it.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Tacier posted:

If you live in California and are served by PG&E or SDGE they might be right.

In San Diego. Paying $0.30/kwh. 65kwh battery in my EV. Full charge from zero (never happens) would be $19.50

Car gets about 4 miles/kwh

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

VideoGameVet posted:

In San Diego. Paying $0.30/kwh. 65kwh battery in my EV. Full charge from zero (never happens) would be $19.50

Depends on what time of day you're charging, too.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You guys have surge pricing? Jesus we only have seasonal pricing and it's still a crock of poo poo if it weren't for our higher reliance on renewables in the last decade.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
You can choose here, fixed price or spot price which changes hourly.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

VideoGameVet posted:

Lol pge is up to like 0.66/kwh here

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

JFC. I'm thankful I only have to pay around .08/kwh.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nervous posted:

JFC. I'm thankful I only have to pay around .08/kwh.

But think of all the FREEDOM you're missing out on.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jose Valasquez posted:

Articles about how bad LLMs gently caress up when you use them for something important are good precisely because people don't understand the difference. It needs to be hammered home over and over how unreliable they are so people stop trying to use them for important things. Even if this particular instance ends up being bullshit I guarantee some defense contractor somewhere is currently investigating using LLMs for decision making.
We need more articles about how unreliable LLMs are so that that viewpoint will be more heavily represented in the training data for future LLMs

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Half-Life 3 MOBA in VR?

Papercut posted:

Lol pge is up to like 0.66/kwh here

Seeing electricty prices go up each year makes me glad I got solar panels shortly after I bought a house. Sucks that the "yearly credit reset" poo poo happens in the spring since it's very clearly aimed at screwing people over who accumulated credit in the winter/spring and would end up using it during the summer though. Fuckers...

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Half-Life 3 MOBA in VR?

So. Team Fortress classic? Cool. I'm in.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

Assuming they'd ever happen, systemtic changes would still impact peoples lifestyles though. I think that's important to realize because sometimes I get the impression that people do think if we did changes "systematically" from the top down, that their lives would be unaltered, as opposed to them doing individual changes on their own.

But both approaches would likely entail a lot of changes, different changes perhaps, though I think there's plenty of overlap.

I think lifestyle changes (say not relying on as much tech or generally consuming less) is just another thing that only helps you sleep at night, unless a critical mass take it up. I still support it though.

Like as an individual, if you went all out, it's a scale between "spending your life to attack the status quo somehow" or "living off the grid/dying", neither of which changes anything if it's just you. So we spend what time we have here spreading awareness and building connections with people.

Living smaller or more simply seems like a bad deal when compared to the lifestyles of the wealthy or trendy, sure seems unfair. But I think there's something to be said for living smaller. It necessitates a better understanding of ourselves and nature. It takes power away from the forces ruining our world, helps you learn to live without them to some degree.

And yeah, I don't see a lot of hope people will embrace or accept "less treats". We have amazing technology to improve the lives of everybody, and particularly those who need it most. It just so happens people seem to be eager to be the ones who need it most. "Me me me what about me I need or even deserve this more". The opposite of a stubborn old man refusing to acknowledge failing health or see a doctor. I wouldn't call it hypochondria, more I think the state of the world does make us sick, but rather than a diagnosis what we need is to feel alive. A sickness of the spirit, that sends people seeking medical intervention and treatment for years. I certainly don't mean to demonize being responsible for your health (mental or physical), more when the world is so wrong I wish less people were willing to let the world tell them that they are actually what's wrong.

And unfortunately no small amount of "this world isn't my fault/responsibility, so I should enjoy all the finest things" which is basically just FYGM. The dude who works hard at a well paying job still sees extreme wealth that doesn't even need to work, and he's like "gently caress it I deserve all that too I work hard". It's all a goddamn selfish race to the bottom that the planet won't bear for more longer.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I can't remember where I first heard it but the phrase "treats-based society" has been living in my head for years now.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

BRJurgis posted:

Peace on Earth and Purity of Essence.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
we already have a network of networks of networks of DBs of infomation that anyone can look up and debunk things.

I think your dad might be stupid

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I would simply fill the database with bullshit.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

BRJurgis posted:

Snopes already exists, he just doesn't like what it tells him about the poo poo he's spreading.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

BRJurgis posted:

And yeah, I don't see a lot of hope people will embrace or accept "less treats". We have amazing technology to improve the lives of everybody, and particularly those who need it most. It just so happens people seem to be eager to be the ones who need it most. "Me me me what about me I need or even deserve this more". The opposite of a stubborn old man refusing to acknowledge failing health or see a doctor. I wouldn't call it hypochondria, more I think the state of the world does make us sick, but rather than a diagnosis what we need is to feel alive. A sickness of the spirit, that sends people seeking medical intervention and treatment for years. I certainly don't mean to demonize being responsible for your health (mental or physical), more when the world is so wrong I wish less people were willing to let the world tell them that they are actually what's wrong.

And unfortunately no small amount of "this world isn't my fault/responsibility, so I should enjoy all the finest things" which is basically just FYGM. The dude who works hard at a well paying job still sees extreme wealth that doesn't even need to work, and he's like "gently caress it I deserve all that too I work hard". It's all a goddamn selfish race to the bottom that the planet won't bear for more longer.

Nobody, no matter how rich or poor, wants to be told (directly or indirectly) that they have too much or have it too good. That the "most needy" isn't them, personally, and that for those most needy to have it better, they need to have less.

Someone just getting by really doesn't want to hear that that burger, fries, and soda they get after a long day's work is bad for them and the world, that they should stop driving their SUV or sedan and take the bus, that their house in the suburbs is a horrific extravagance and they should move to an apartment in the city, or that the electricity they spend to watch TV in climate controlled comfort is killing the planet.

And they really don't like it when you tell them if they won't make those changes themselves, that you plan to turn around and lobby the government to force them to by regulation.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

scolding people for wastefulness or saying people need to accept lower quality standard of living is and has always been nothing but pointless virtue signaling. nations consist of hundreds of millions of people, any move toward sustainability has to be systemic.

like why would anyone agree to use less electricity on watching TV when crypto is taking up 2% of the entire energy grid. individualist initiatives are just jacking yourself off.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

The troublesome individual has been neutralized. No correction necessary.

More seriously, couldn't one apply the same argument to voting?

Hell, having ideals and convictions about how you live is more useful and impactful than voting. Right from "you can change how other people vote" to all the more important reasons.

BRJurgis fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Feb 9, 2024

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

yes, the same standards absolutely applies to voting in that its far more effective to implement change through organizations (unions, lawsuits, mass demonstrations, pressure campaigns) then it is to tut tut your neighbor for voting third party

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Stexils posted:

yes, the same standards absolutely applies to voting in that its far more effective to implement change through organizations (unions, lawsuits, mass demonstrations, pressure campaigns) then it is to tut tut your neighbor for voting third party

And boycott. For instance, if you objected to Amazon, surely having a group of people committed to not using their service (despite the affordability or convienance it would offer) could be an effective weapon if widely adopted.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BRJurgis posted:

And boycott. For instance, if you objected to Amazon, surely having a group of people committed to not using their service (despite the affordability or convienance it would offer) could be an effective weapon if widely adopted.

If.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Stexils posted:

scolding people for wastefulness or saying people need to accept lower quality standard of living is and has always been nothing but pointless virtue signaling. nations consist of hundreds of millions of people, any move toward sustainability has to be systemic.

like why would anyone agree to use less electricity on watching TV when crypto is taking up 2% of the entire energy grid. individualist initiatives are just jacking yourself off.

Systemic measures still require people to accept a lower standard of living!

You're right that individually sacrificing your own standard of living is unlikely to have much impact on climate change. That's because we need to force everyone to sacrifice part of their standard of living. That's what systemic measures are. But if people are unwilling to sacrifice their own standard of living, then they're unlikely to support measures that will force a reduced standard of living on them and everyone they know (even if the needed reduction this way is significantly smaller).

We are absolutely going to need to make real sacrifices to stop climate change. They will need to be society-wide sacrifices shared by everyone and supported by government action, but a decent chunk of the populace will still need to be willing to sacrifice in order for that to happen.