Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Grendels Dad posted:

Now I want a sequel where the Event Horizon just doesn't give a gently caress and the people entering it for plot reasons find the whole Hellraiser shebang set up and working. And they still wont have a moment like Captain Fishburne in part one.

What I want is Tucker & Dale vs. Event Horizon.

The Event Horizon becomes a tourist trap. Show me my dead loved ones, hell ship!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Roblo posted:

I seem to recall it wasn't particularily deep.

it was deep enough to be completely opaquely pitch black and have freaky bioluminescent ocean giants

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Iirc part of it was still above water.

it was a ship to hold 16,000 people and all of the genetic material they could save from earth for centuries, pretty sure they talk about some of the distances to the core in terms of kilometers

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The Event Horizon becomes a tourist trap. Show me my dead loved ones, hell ship!

Reminds me of the hilarious bit in Hellraiser 2 where The Priest gets all excited that Kirsty is in his realm only for her to spurn him again and he just gets frustrated with her for teasing him because why is she even IN his dimension then? Just his little thing where he's like "First you didn't know what it was, this time you didn't open it, excuses excuses!" He's so needy. Just like "C'mooooon. It'll be fun. You'll have fingers in many different pies, eyes everywhere, you can be all ears! Just think of the PUNS!" I do like his line too where he's like "Go on then, explore the maze! You'll have all eternity!"

Apparently in the comics she actually does eventually take him up on the offer and becomes Queen of Hell but I don't know the context there. I guess Pinhead just pesters her for years until she agrees.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Hey now, it was the female cenobite that was saying "How many times are you going to open the box and immediately regret it?", Pinhead was just egging her and Kristy on.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Cowslips Warren posted:

you know, Hazbin Hotel looks interesting. the concept seems fun, demons trying to save the damned souls from permanent deletion but....the loving animation style is so horrible I can't watch it for more than a minute.

I agree and I can't seem to put my finger on why. They all just look so busy and have too big of facial features and just have too many bits of hyper brightly colored detail or something. Like the goal was to reinvent the ease of OC creation aspect of the Homestuck troll fandom somehow. I love the voice cast so I'm gonna give it a try anyway.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Randalor posted:

As goofy as these are, I think I prefer them over the later, more robotic look they have now. They're beings of pure logical order, why would they care about looks?

Original modrons rule. One minute you're fighting demons in a classic hellscape, then one random portal later you're being attacked by fundamental shapes with cartoon faces on the side like you accidentally wandered into the wrong neighborhood in the Phantom Tollbooth.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

theironjef posted:

Original modrons rule. One minute you're fighting demons in a classic hellscape, then one random portal later you're being attacked by fundamental shapes with cartoon faces on the side like you accidentally wandered into the wrong neighborhood in the Phantom Tollbooth.

Were there any dodecahedron modrons?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Its summoning phrase is "be not afraid".

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Phanatic posted:

modrons existed to use dice as minis

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Phanatic posted:

Sadly no. Only two of the original modrons were dice shaped, and while yes, those are the two you'd be most likely to fight, the rest get weird. Quadrones are cubes and tridones are tetrahedrons. But duodrones were originally rectangular prisms so not a die (more like a domino), monodrones are spheres, and as you move up into the high ranking ones they start being shaped like heaps of gears, starfish on legs, and even weirder spheres.

theironjef has a new favorite as of 03:58 on Feb 8, 2024

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Rockman Reserve posted:

I recently watched Pandorum and it was a lot more fun than I was expecting, I ended up really liking it, except one thing at the climax:

The big colony ship the movie takes place in is discovered to be crash landed in the ocean of the earth like planet they were going to colonize. Okay, I can buy that a colony ship carrying literally the last vestiges of Earth life would have a pretty strong hull made of freaky space composites, I can buy it not immediately getting crushed into a tin can. Where I have far more trouble suspending my disbelief is that when the obligatory Space Madness Captain shoots his space gun in the bridge and cracks the space glass, allowing space water to stream in, they’re all just standing in it like an unpleasant shower when in reality they’d pretty much be bisected by the pressure streams.

Maybe space water isn’t as heavy as regular water?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I'm getting irrationally irritated by how many people think Nicolas Cage is a bad actor. Of all the things to say, "bad actor" should be so far down the list. He's a fuckin amazing actor.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

credburn posted:

I'm getting irrationally irritated by how many people think Nicolas Cage is a bad actor. Of all the things to say, "bad actor" should be so far down the list. He's a fuckin amazing actor.

Dude literally cried "boo hoo" when he was crying in Vampire's Kiss, and sold it. Dude can act.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
https://i.imgur.com/zk8ZWSj.mp4

This scene lives rent free in my head. Between him and Pascal it's an amazing film.

Couldn't find the original so I opted for the best mashup I have seen in a while.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander has a new favorite as of 04:24 on Feb 8, 2024

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

credburn posted:

https://youtu.be/WqDX6wF3BLc?si=9b8tMW0pCzyC6ONK

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

credburn posted:

Leaving Las Vegas made up for all the schlock and all the nonsense he's done since then. Bravura performance

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

credburn posted:

The thing about Cage is that it doesn't matter how dumb the role or the dialogue is, he throws himself fully into it and completely commits to it. So you can get amazing poo poo like Mandy or Bad Lieutenant or "Not the bees in my eyes!" But if a Nick Cage movie is bad, it is *not* because of Nick Cage.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

credburn posted:

as Ebert said, he's a good actor in good movies, and an indispensable actor in bad ones

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It helps to have a director who knows how to use him, like in Colour out of Space where he has some weird moments early on like "You have to be very gentle with... the bewbs" but only goes full Cage when the character's corruption is turning him into his abusive father.

Sir_Lagsalot
May 6, 2007

Connection error

Cowslips Warren posted:

Can we all just admit that the event horizon had an amazing cleaning crew? Because there wasn't a single sign of anything that happened on that ship.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Imagine when all that's done and the crew was all dead, now you have to clean up the entire mess for the next group.

Man, have I got a game for you!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Nick Cage goes 110% in every single movie he does. And so for that I got a respect the man.

My mom is still finishing northern exposure, and they had one of those silly little flashback episodes where all of the modern day characters are now different people in the past, but there was an actual really nice scene where an older gentleman in this wild west frontier Alaskan town approaches a younger woman, (in the basis of the show it's kind of creepy because she's like barely 20 and he's in his 50s or 60s) and she tells him very quickly that she likes him, but she can't be with him because she's a fallen woman, a floozy, a Jezebel, and she's rather upset about it.

But instead of shaming her, the guy makes a very kind of cute and funny speech that if you have a toothache, you don't go to the dentist that's only ever taken care of one tooth, and you don't go to a dentist who's never pulled the single tooth in his life. You go to a dentist with lots of experience. And he's got an ache, not in his mouth but in his heart and only she can fix it.

Seeing as 99% of the stories usually end with the guy freaking out that the girl's not a virgin, or comments about how she's the town bicycle, It was handled in a very cute and funny but respectful way.

Iimm: similar to Ant-Man not being about the hero trying to get back with his partner, and that's the reason he becomes the hero, to prove that he's good enough for her still and that she doesn't need her new boyfriend/ husband, this little scene and this kind of silly show was the needle in the haystack, and proved that this is how more shows and movie should be about in certain issues.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Cowslips Warren posted:

Nick Cage goes 110% in every single movie he does. And so for that I got a respect the man.

Iimm: similar to Ant-Man not being about the hero trying to get back with his partner, and that's the reason he becomes the hero, to prove that he's good enough for her still and that she doesn't need her new boyfriend/ husband, this little scene and this kind of silly show was the needle in the haystack, and proved that this is how more shows and movie should be about in certain issues.

When Nick Cage was voicing Into the Spider-Verse, the story goes that on the first day of taping he did a few of his lines, and the director asked for more passion or whatever. They went back and forth a couple of times until he reputedly asked, "Do you want me to go full Cage?" The director said yes, and the rest is history.

I like to think he's fully self-aware. No one could be so much of an acting phenomenon without that; you'd just be an energetic Tommy Wiseau otherwise.

Agreed on Ant-Man, by the way. That was refreshing, that he wasn't trying to win back his estranged wife.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Admiralty Flag posted:

Agreed on Ant-Man, by the way. That was refreshing, that he wasn't trying to win back his estranged wife.
And he didn't dump on the boyfriend/ cop either; just an all around good dude not judging anybody for their decisions except himself.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Cowslips Warren posted:

Isn't that in direct contradiction to the comic book hero, though? Wasn't he a horrific abusive monster?

e: oh, no, that's the older guy, the movies don't focus on him

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

credburn posted:

Isn't that in direct contradiction to the comic book hero, though? Wasn't he a horrific abusive monster?

e: oh, no, that's the older guy, the movies don't focus on him

There was one instance where he hit his wife but Iirc it was in the context of some massive character change. It got memefied into a core part of his character later on.

If we want to talk horrific abusive monsters, we needn't look further than Mr. Fantastic of the Fantastic Four. He never physically abused his wife, but he has gone above and beyond being a condescending dick to her in the best tradition of 1950's US nuclear family dads.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Grendels Dad posted:

There was one instance where he hit his wife but Iirc it was in the context of some massive character change. It got memefied into a core part of his character later on.

Supposedly it was never actually intended: the script called for Pym to wave his hands in exasperation and accidentally hit his wife without looking, and via some combination of misunderstanding the intent and trying to punch it up for drama the artist drew him straight up backhanding her face to face. Due to publishing deadlines it was determined that it would be easier to deal with the aftermath than to redo the art.

(It was not, in fact, easier to deal with the aftermath of making a superhero a wife-beater.)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Grendels Dad posted:

If we want to talk horrific abusive monsters, we needn't look further than Mr. Fantastic of the Fantastic Four. He never physically abused his wife, but he has gone above and beyond being a condescending dick to her in the best tradition of 1950's US nuclear family dads.

Doesn't help the writers want people to get over that but then also won't shut the gently caress up about it so by memes and edge addiction Pym becomes the Wife Beating Guy. Also doesn't help it was from back far enough that characters had hardly any personality traits to go around so it stuck, like Iron Man being a drunk.

Mr Fantastic is a funny one since they kinda leaned into it the right way, literally every version of him besides the main one ends up turning evil. The Venture Bros riff on him is barely a parody, and he's actually one of the clear primary influences for Rick Sanchez.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

the holy poopacy posted:

(It was not, in fact, easier to deal with the aftermath of making a superhero a wife-beater.)

What is a super hero other than an extremely specialized cop?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

What is a super hero other than an extremely specialized cop?
... a vigilante?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
The venture Brothers take on so much was so perfect.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009
Rollerball
James Caan and several background teammates are just rubbing themselves without any soap in the shower. It's like they're miming the act of showering, while actually literally in the shower.
Baffling.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Bk. posted:

Rollerball
James Caan and several background teammates are just rubbing themselves without any soap in the shower. It's like they're miming the act of showering, while actually literally in the shower.
Baffling.

theyre all neurodivergent and all forgot the soap so theyre all going through the motions in the hopes that nobody notices

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009

Carthag Tuek posted:

theyre all neurodivergent and all forgot the soap so theyre all going through the motions in the hopes that nobody notices

The props department did its job, there are bars of soap visible in the shot.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
How long is this shower scene that you can deduce they did or did not use soap?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Bk. posted:

The props department did its job, there are bars of soap visible in the shot.

they didnt know it was communal soap, thought it was somebody elses

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009

credburn posted:

How long is this shower scene that you can deduce they did or did not use soap?

Deduce these nuts.
There were clear lathering motions on chests and backs and vigorous rubbing under armpits.
While clearly not holding any soap or rags or futuristic sci-fi loofahs.

Stonehouse Beach
Feb 8, 2019

Grendels Dad posted:

Nah. There's certainly more than one instance of Pym hitting Jan and he's had obvious psychological problems since the Tales to Astonish days. No need to whitewash (Ant-Wash?)

The MCU movies generally adapt things to be lighter and shallower than the MU. Domestic abuse changed to "oh she shrunk too much on a mission!" Alcoholism changed to the complete fantasy problem of being poisoned by the reactor in your chest.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Bk. posted:

Deduce these nuts.
There were clear lathering motions on chests and backs and vigorous rubbing under armpits.
While clearly not holding any soap or rags or futuristic sci-fi loofahs.

perhaps it was futuristic antiseptic water

its important to keep your eyes closed, you may be permanently blinded

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Stonehouse Beach posted:

Nah. There's certainly more than one instance of Pym hitting Jan and he's had obvious psychological problems since the Tales to Astonish days. No need to whitewash (Ant-Wash?)

No whitewashing intended, I'm simply not too invested in the history of Ant Man and didn't investigate much in what seemed to be a very clear case of a game of telephone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

the holy poopacy posted:

Supposedly it was never actually intended: the script called for Pym to wave his hands in exasperation and accidentally hit his wife without looking, and via some combination of misunderstanding the intent and trying to punch it up for drama the artist drew him straight up backhanding her face to face. Due to publishing deadlines it was determined that it would be easier to deal with the aftermath than to redo the art.

I mean, even without the hit, the context was that he was trying to hold his wife prisoner so that she wouldn't expose his plan to use a killer robot to attack the Avengers and then 'save' them so they'd get off his back about him attacking an unarmed enemy who'd surrendered in a previous issue.

So regardless of what was intended, it wasn't ever an issue that painted him in a good light.