Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
Demo was great, I have no qualms about the content presented (except lol a bunch of people with guns just standing around waiting for Sephiroth to kill them in time with Cloud's crawling progress), and the one issue I have with the gameplay is that I thought the terrain movement felt kinda janky, especially when you're jumping off stuff.

I played in performance mode and I didn't notice any framerate issues, but there were some minor lighting/texture problems that bugged me. There were a couple spots where there would be cast light through like a window onto a wall or something and if you turned the camera, the light would flicker in and out of visibility. There was one scene where it cuts back to a close-up of present-day Tifa on a couch and the couch texture had to load in on-screen, and another part early on in the voyage up the mountain where I swear an already loaded texture unloaded then reloaded itself as I moved near it. A bunch of cast shadows for guard rails in the facility sections of Mt Nibel were super lovely-looking, like Remake on PS4. And shadows on character models are still as fuzzy as they were in Intergrade/Intermission. None of these are deal breakers for me, just couldn't help noticing them and feeling disappointed about them. I hope this kind of stuff either gets ironed out or somehow isn't as noticeable in the full release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Solus posted:

Is Crisis Core Reunion worth picking up?

I enjoyed it. The voice work is robot mode compared to the new stuff.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

In general the visuals in performance mode felt very similar to FF16's (except fortunately without the stuttering and dropped framerate of that game), where everything is just kind of muddy looking and other character models outside of cutscenes look all blurry and kinda like they're from a PS3 game. I think it's a combination of the base resolution probably being like 800p or something, plus heavy use of TAA? It's not too hard to get used to it, though I'll definitely look forward to seeing everything with better graphics on PC in a year (or however long).

I wish that developers of games like this could somehow get advice from the people who make games like Horizon Forbidden West, Spider-man, Ghost of Tsushima, or other open-world games that manage good performance while having significantly fancier looking visuals. It seems like it should absolutely be possible to maintain both the visuals from Remake and good performance on a PS5 (especially in an environment like Nibelheim, which doesn't even seem much bigger or more visually complex than the stuff from Remake), but it feels like for games like this and FF16 they just kind of make the game and then keep lowering various settings until they get the target performance framerate. I know this stuff isn't simple, and it obviously requires some sort of technical expertise that these studios just don't have.

Trip Hazard
Jan 17, 2017

Mainwaring posted:

Looking into pre orders, looks like 365games has it fairly cheap in the UK. Anyone have experience with them and know if they're reliable?

Not them but hit.co.uk have the standard edition of Rebirth for 55 quid. I don't have experience personally but a mate of mine pre-ordered Persona 3 and they send it out on time.

As always, buyer beware, maybe check trustpilot

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hit are, ahem, hit & miss. Sometimes they send your game out a week early by accident, sometimes you have to wait til Monday.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
wow i can't believe that the climax of the game involves full hd modern cloud travelling into the original pre-rendered background low-poly ff7 in order to save aerith from her fate

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

lih posted:

wow i can't believe that the climax of the game involves full hd modern cloud travelling into the original pre-rendered background low-poly ff7 in order to save aerith from her fate

You don’t know how bad I want that.

Saying “it ends very different then Remake” has my head spinning, but that can be taken so many different ways.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Ragequit posted:

Another bombastic banger

That track is fabulous. It has strong "climbing the wall" energy from Remake 1. That was my favorite sequence/music from the first game so I'm glad they leaned into ti hard here.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I half want to play, and half don’t and just want to watch Vinesauce play instead. Having to buy a PS5 for the game is a tough pill to swallow.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I sold my PS5 knowing that I'd be in for a wait for the one game on the system I was guaranteed to get, but I made my choices.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

The Dave posted:

Saying “it ends very different then Remake” has my head spinning, but that can be taken so many different ways.

My current interpretation, which will almost certainly change within the next hour, is that while Remake's ending went wildly off rails and had you fighting the ghosts of Advent Children and Sephiroth, this time the ending will be played straight 1:1 with the original scene and the final boss will be JENOVA Life.

The post credits scene will be Aeris coming to in Zack's timeline, very confused

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

akadajet posted:

I enjoyed it. The voice work is robot mode compared to the new stuff.

The original game only had a little bit of voice acting. They made the remaster fully voice acted with the current voice actors. It is the new stuff lol

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I've got a friend who played Remake completely blind on the original FFVII, she doesn't even know about Aerith's fate (and I keep having to warn her "Hey, when you're on the internet and discussion of this game comes up, there's one really big spoiler that's been so known for the majority of the history of gaming as a medium that people don't often care to hide it"), and from the perspective of that person (she's already figured out something is fucky with Nibelheim and Zack from the presentation of Remake), I wonder if (Demo Spoilers) having the "Shinra Grunt" crawling towards Cloud's mom's house and literally calling for his mom is a bit too much.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

DanielCross posted:

I've got a friend who played Remake completely blind on the original FFVII, she doesn't even know about Aerith's fate (and I keep having to warn her "Hey, when you're on the internet and discussion of this game comes up, there's one really big spoiler that's been so known for the majority of the history of gaming as a medium that people don't often care to hide it"), and from the perspective of that person (she's already figured out something is fucky with Nibelheim and Zack from the presentation of Remake), I wonder if (Demo Spoilers) having the "Shinra Grunt" crawling towards Cloud's mom's house and literally calling for his mom is a bit too much.

If I didn’t outright know the Nibelheim spoiler, I probably wouldn’t have thought much of it. But then again, I’m an idiot who tends to miss obvious things sometimes.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

lih posted:

Would unironically rule

Add in a part where Tifa has to explain the concept of switching discs to Cloud.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

DanielCross posted:

If that bit doesn't drive it home then getting blown backwards into the exact same position the grunt was laying in and him totally disappearing should

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Shoehead posted:

If that bit doesn't drive it home then getting blown backwards into the exact same position the grunt was laying in and him totally disappearing should

I didn't notice any of this

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

stev posted:

I didn't get it either but in my defense I hosed around for like a solid 2 minutes assuming that I was supposed to put the fire in front of me out with the obvious valve and water pipes immediately to my right. The amount of interesting and high detail clutter in games these days confuses my old gamer eyes.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
If any of you haven't played the original ff7 and don't have time or want to play an older RPG for whatever reason, check out this LP
https://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-VII/

It not only goes through 100% of the game's content, it also explains what the gently caress is happening in the plot.
Highly recommend

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Anyone playing this with Japanese voices and English subs? I wonder why the script is so different in the two versions. Did they translate a rough draft or something?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I just realized I never played or beat the Yuffie episode DLC so I"m working on that this week. The reward for having a save game in Rebirth requires just a save or a cleared game save?

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Spermando posted:

Anyone playing this with Japanese voices and English subs? I wonder why the script is so different in the two versions. Did they translate a rough draft or something?

I think the localization team just takes a lot of liberties with the translation.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

stev posted:

They did a good job making it seamless. The biggest indicator is you can see Cloud’s hands and he is wearing the gloves of a grunt all of a sudden.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DanielCross posted:

The Shinra grunt is also kind of obviously Cloud, like the bottom half of his face you see is obviously different from other Shinra grunts and if you look closely at all you see it's the same as Cloud's.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It's almost all a "sure... if you know to look for it" treatment, which probably could have been toned down just a pinch at it's most extreme, but also people shouldn't play the sequel (this series) if they didn't play the original imo.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Dave posted:

It's almost all a "sure... if you know to look for it" treatment, which probably could have been toned down just a pinch at it's most extreme, but also people shouldn't play the sequel (this series) if they didn't play the original imo.

That's true. It's definitely very miss-able if you haven't even considered the possibility (though the mere existence of Crisis Core is itself a spoiler if anyone comes across things like "advertisements for that game").

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I really like pre-crazy Sephiroth's characterization in this. He's that friend who's trying but does not know how socializing works

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I do wonder what it would be like to wander into the series at this particular moment and experience only the the remake series. Like you already played through part 1. You know that Cloud has brain problems and a tendency to just plain go weird, usually with regards to Sephiroth. Hojo all but got to say that Cloud's whole story about being in SOLDIER is a lie before he got tackled by ghosts. You know there's a DEEPLY similar black haired SOLDIER guy with a/the Buster Sword carrying a catatonic Cloud about in the ending for some reason. Is it enough to guess the impersonation, especially after that demo? I mean yeah the Shinra grunt thing is an "if your looking for it" sorta deal but I think just on it's on merits the remake wants you to go looking for it with everything Cloud says real hard.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caidin posted:

I do wonder what it would be like to wander into the series at this particular moment and experience only the the remake series. Like you already played through part 1. You know that Cloud has brain problems and a tendency to just plain go weird, usually with regards to Sephiroth. Hojo all but got to say that Cloud's whole story about being in SOLDIER is a lie before he got tackled by ghosts. You know there's a DEEPLY similar black haired SOLDIER guy with a/the Buster Sword carrying a catatonic Cloud about in the ending for some reason. Is it enough to guess the impersonation, especially after that demo? I mean yeah the Shinra grunt thing is an "if your looking for it" sorta deal but I think just on it's on merits the remake wants you to go looking for it with everything Cloud says real hard.

I don't agree with this at all because Remake is extremely un blunt about Crisis Core existing and then they rereleased Crisis Core with a new Re-subtitle in between the two games. It isn't Remake -> Rebirth but Remake -> Reunion -> Rebirth so far.

Cloud's flashback is showing us what he remembers because it expects the audience to already be in the know but we're seeing everything from Cloud's PoV.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I keep forgetting about CC Reunion. Did they really jazz it up that much? I could probably fit it in between now and the end of the month I guess but I don't remember the gameplay being all that wild.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Caidin posted:

I keep forgetting about CC Reunion. Did they really jazz it up that much? I could probably fit it in between now and the end of the month I guess but I don't remember the gameplay being all that wild.

It's still an old psp game. So it's designed as a handheld game. Story is pretty short and fun though.
Watch a let's play if that doesn't sound like your jam

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
We'll see when they release the junon demo but the map looks maybe too busy. Like it's fine for that demo because it's so linear but if they're focusing on exploration it's hard to pick out paths on it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Caidin posted:

Quoting myself from the end of the previous page:

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It’s good, just keep reminding yourself that it was a PSP game that came out in 2007 or whatever and you will have the proper expectations. There are a lot of little side missions that made sense on a handheld meant to be played in short bursts. The story parts are good but short. There are lots of goofy mini-games because that’s just how games used to be lol

Forgot to mention that material fusion is a great system and adds a lot to the game.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

DeathChicken posted:

I really like pre-crazy Sephiroth's characterization in this. He's that friend who's trying but does not know how socializing works

Yeah, he's trying so hard to human, and he just doesn't quite know how not to be awkward. And he's a genuinely decent guy! He clearly shows concern for his fellows and interest in keeping ordinary people safe. And one thing I liked in Remake is how at key moments Aerith also starts showing vaguely similar body language and diction - they're both people raised in young childhood largely outside of normal socialization. It creates the impression that their "acting normal" is a very deliberate habit they have to cultivate in themselves and which fades under sufficient stress.

I like the detail of how wrong his body language is during the Nibelheim slaughter. He doesn't move the same way, he's almost sleepwalking, or moving like someone who's become very unfamiliar with his body. His microexpressions when he's looking at Cloud through the flames - the little flickers of regret, loneliness, confusion - are a delight.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 8, 2024

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I found it hard to get into because, as has been said it's a psp game and it feels like it. But I watched a heap of fights and cutscenes cut into a movie on YouTube and really enjoyed it. There's some real fun story stuff in there, Zack is fun as hell, Sephiroth is fleshed out a bit more too.

It also retcons Nibelheim, but every time this series has shown those events they've been slightly different, but in a way that maybe won't be reflected in Rebirth? Instead of Sephiroth going "huh my mother's name was Jenova.. am I? Oh no!" Gackt flies through the door and yells "Hey Sephiroth, you're a monster!!! Bye!" and Sephiroth starts his breakdown.

This makes me want to go rewatch Last Order now.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
I mean is it a retcon or is actually another alternate universe!?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shoehead posted:

I found it hard to get into because, as has been said it's a psp game and it feels like it. But I watched a heap of fights and cutscenes cut into a movie on YouTube and really enjoyed it. There's some real fun story stuff in there, Zack is fun as hell, Sephiroth is fleshed out a bit more too.

It also retcons Nibelheim, but every time this series has shown those events they've been slightly different, but in a way that maybe won't be reflected in Rebirth? Instead of Sephiroth going "huh my mother's name was Jenova.. am I? Oh no!" Gackt flies through the door and yells "Hey Sephiroth, you're a monster!!! Bye!" and Sephiroth starts his breakdown.

Rebirth sends Cloudzack out of the room to turn a crank so they can conveniently leave that as psuedocanon.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

CC is the only time we see the events of Nibelheim without anyone editorializing their memory of it.

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope

Shoehead posted:

I mean if I was to be convinced one thing put Sephiroth over the edge, Genesis Krammering in with one more soliloquy about being a monster would be it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Do I need to stop and grind some levels during the story for CC? I think I was trying to play through the side missions and it burned me out on the game a bit.