Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

GAME RELEASE FEBRUARY 29 2024
Original game spoilers as well as spoilers for Remake and its DLC in this thread

It's the Final Fantasy, again! The seventh one, again, again!

Synopsis posted:

FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH is the highly anticipated new story in the FINAL FANTASY VII remake project, a reimagining of the iconic original game into three standalone titles by its original creators. In this game, players will enjoy various new elements as the story unfolds, culminating in the party’s journey to “The Forgotten Capital” from the original FINAL FANTASY VII.

Final Fantasy VII is a JRPG that originally released in 1997 for the Playstation 1. This is not that game. This is Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (Part 2), an Action RPG... in HD!! currently exclusive for the PS5. This game covers the second section of the original game and takes place immediately after the Midgar section. The demo will Soon be upon us, according to leaks, so let's get this thread on tracks!

STORY

Story posted:

The Unknown Journey Continues...
Cloud and his comrades escape the city of Midgar in pursuit of the fallen hero, Sephiroth. As they travel across the world, they find themselves on a journey that will decide the fate of the planet.

As was revealed in FF7 Remake, this is as much a "sequel" to the original Final Fantasy VII as it is a remake of it. Things will be the same. Things will be different. As such, and seeing as this game is also a direct sequel to Final Fantasy VII Remake, this thread will contain unmarked spoilers for both of those + sidestories like Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, Advent Children, and the like. It won't contain spoilers for The First Soldier because no one played it and now no one can.

GAMEPLAY

The combat in Remake was cool as h*ck and this game plays the same. It has several new playable characters, new materia, new abilities, new limit breaks, and new everything. The biggest additions are enhanced air combat (you'd be generous if you said Remake had air combat, but) as well as "Synergy Skills" and "Synergy Abilities". Synergy Skills lets you perform more unique stuff during combat without using ATB charges. If you use ATB abilities with a character, you store points for that character (you can see those little blips under the ATB bar in the above image). You can then have two characters spend those points together to do a powerful Synergy Ability. Rad!!

F.A.Q.
I didn't play Final Fantasy VII or Final Fantasy VII Remake, should I play this game?

I mean, I don't recommend doing that–both FF7 and FF7Remake are excellent games and worthy of your time–but the internet's not your dad, we can't make you do things. This is very much a sequel to events and character arcs that began in Remake. Do with that information what you will.

Is this game structured similarly to Remake?
Not really, no. Rebirth is far more open from early on than Remake ever gets. Open plains, traversal options, and a lot more optional content.

Why can't I play this on my PC!!
Sony exclusivity period, probably lasts a year, PC port may or may not be completed by the time that period ends. Sorry!!

The final trailer for Remake showed a lot of endgame stuff, will this one also do that?
Probably, because the creators are heinous. Stay away if you wanna go in clean!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

There's gonna be a new State of Play overview of the game in a couple hours here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgdkN2tCAFw

They're gonna release the demo after that!!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Give me chocobo breeding so I can spend 100 hours doing that. Thanks in advance Sony.

Wait give me Jessie too. Let her live thank you Sony. I don't care what hand waving you need to do

RC Cola fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 6, 2024

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I'm not watching the Nintendo Direct. I will play the demo... but not immediately, I'm busy. It's time. I'm out, until it drops. See you on the other side lads.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Posting in the cool new thread

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Out of curiosity, what are the weird little details/secrets/etc people are hoping to see carried over from the original game?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That's my guy right there

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
One specific thing I want to see is weird enemies like the Hell House turned into a full boss.

Fingers crossed one is this guy.
https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Ghirofelgo
Or maybe this thing.
https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Heavy_Tank

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I want the 1/35 soldier in Rebirth, and have them be as useless as before.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Here's some cross-over content from the Simpsons Memes Thread in GBS. If you are my age and the same type of nerd you'll appreaciate them.

ultrafilter posted:

Missed one:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Game is gonna own. So excited.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Callin it the game of the year before even playing the demo

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Callin it the game of the year before even playing the demo

I don't need a demo for this one. If it plays exactly like Remake and is just a continuation of that, then we are golden, i'm sold instantly.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

HD DAD posted:

I want the 1/35 soldier in Rebirth, and have them be as useless as before.

There better be 35 of them this time!

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Ground floor for GOTY 2024

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Crossed fingers for Junon Dance Parade

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Caidin posted:

Crossed fingers for Junon Dance Parade

Cloud is gonna bust a move to a sick techno track and impress the gently caress out of Rufus.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Looking forward to loving it up and Rufus mailing me a bomb

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
shoudla been final fantasy vii rebirth: defence of the ancient 2

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

If Palmer doesn't get hit by the truck, the game will be an immense failure

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Posting in this thread I will not be able to read until 2025

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

THIS IS GONNA BE THE GREATEST GAME OF ALL TIME

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Holy poo poo this trailer

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Holy mother loving god drat mother fucker

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

this game might be uh loving huge

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Oh my loving god this is incredible

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

This game is MASSIVE god drat

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Holy gently caress these mini games

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There are certainly things here I think are better as a surprise but I guess they're not hestiating.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Cannot wait to date Barret

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

i might die playing this game

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
That stream contained intimidating amounts of content

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

trailer looks good, but I'm still malding at the end of remake so I'll wait until its out on PC before I buy it

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

So many mini-games. Sphere grid. Assassin's Creed map exploration towers.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Please rename the thread to:

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth: Wave Race 64

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Finally, confirmation that it's pronounced Cait Sith!

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Looks perfect. No notes. Except, why can't I download the god drat demo

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Kinda wish I didn't watch that. Feel like it might have spoiled some cool moments.

Still pumped as gently caress though.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

triple sulk posted:

Cannot wait to date Barret

You mean cait sith

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

deoju posted:

Kinda wish I didn't watch that. Feel like it might have spoiled some cool moments.

Still pumped as gently caress though.

That's the thing, if they're showing all that, what insane poo poo are they still holding back?