Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Door closes automatically for safety.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
If you're cold, they're cold. Let them in.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Crossposting from the OSHA thread

https://i.imgur.com/UNEDLXh.mp4

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

My expectations are so low, I fully expected that the nut/bolt would simply come off when he touched them, having been just glued onto the beam for show.

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

Ashcans posted:

My expectations are so low, I fully expected that the nut/bolt would simply come off when he touched them, having been just glued onto the beam for show.

Fully expected them to crumble to dust as soon as he tweaked them

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Tijuana-A-Go-Go posted:

Fully expected them to crumble to dust as soon as he tweaked them

Yep, I expected a handful of rust after he touched the first one

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
There needs to be tolerance for thermal expansion!

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Maybe they get flooded often, but not rained on

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Given this thread I was cringing and expecting an electrical arc.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

What are we looking at?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

An electrical box mounted in the most stupid way I've ever seen.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Automotive, but adjacent: I'd been chasing a weird knock in the front end of my '66 Pontiac for almost 15-years when I discovered (while repairing something else) that I had failed to properly torque down the lower-control arm bolts when I rebuilt the front suspension in 2001. One was almost just finger-tight

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Dunno-Lars posted:

What are we looking at?

Load-bearing conduit.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

PainterofCrap posted:

Automotive, but adjacent: I'd been chasing a weird knock in the front end of my '66 Pontiac for almost 15-years when I discovered (while repairing something else) that I had failed to properly torque down the lower-control arm bolts when I rebuilt the front suspension in 2001. One was almost just finger-tight

The bolts in this case weren't even torqued at all, which makes it even more half assed. If they were, the end of the nut would have been removed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3atVsn-4M1o&t=39s

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Dunno-Lars posted:

What are we looking at?

In America and Canada, the electrical lines are usually overhead, and come into the house via that curved pipe conduit thing. Usually the electrical box is inside the house, embedded in the wall, supported by the wall studs rather than just conduit.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

In America and Canada, the electrical lines are usually overhead, and come into the house via that curved pipe conduit thing. Usually the electrical box is inside the house, embedded in the wall, supported by the wall studs rather than just conduit.

I just noticed that the conduit leading to the box seems to be clamped down in one spot several yards away, then zip-tied (?) to another piece of wood that seems to be just sitting on the roof?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Let's be real, those 2x4s supporting the conduit are probably nailed right to the roof with no thought for watertightness

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Lead out in cuffs posted:

In lots of places the box is outside, either because it's currently allowed or used to be. In any case it's supposed to be, uh, below the roofline.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

It’s nice, like the house is waving goodbye or hello, depending on whether you’re coming or going. 11/10

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

HappyHippo posted:

I had an apartment once where the ceiling in the bathroom started getting moldy. When the landlady brought in someone to replace it, it turned out the ceiling fan was just venting into the ceiling.

Friend had this in her recently built loft conversion because the builders she had were cowboys.

The sewerage waste in our loft was just venting into the space (posted it before I think), turns out it's because they'd disconnected it from the vent tile to attach the bathroom extractor instead. I guess joining those two together is a bad idea but still, they could have just put a valve on the waste ffs

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I sent this to my friend who's a structural engineer and he said:

quote:

They are flexible end plates so the bolts only need to act in shear and the CLT deck over is screwed to both steels so can't go anywhere. Probably not best to rely on that though

I feel that when your structural engineer says "probably not best to" you probably shouldn't.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

In lots of places the box is outside, either because it's currently allowed or used to be. In any case it's supposed to be, uh, below the roofline.

There's now a requirement for the main breaker(s) to be outside, so that firefighters can kill all power in whole house in six throws or less (including solar/battery/generator supply).

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Shifty Pony posted:

There's now a requirement for the main breaker(s) to be outside, so that firefighters can kill all power in whole house in six throws or less (including solar/battery/generator supply).

Where?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Shifty Pony posted:

It's all fun and games until your titan gets destroyed because rival gamers cut your power at a critical moment.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Arrath posted:

Let's be real, those 2x4s supporting the conduit are probably nailed right to the roof with no thought for watertightness

I mean, they're also just untreated 2x4s. Maybe it's really dry over there, but over here they wouldn't last two years...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Texas, for one. All new construction for years, possibly decades.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

It's all fun and games until your titan gets destroyed because rival gamers cut your power at a critical moment.

Weak poo poo if you don't have your PC on a battery backup. That's why the subjects of that story offered to cut the internet.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!

Darchangel posted:

Texas, for one. All new construction for years, possibly decades.

This requirement is in the 2020 NEC and is only just now being adopted in many places

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

I just had a solar install and service upgrade. They have a main breaker for the panel system on the exterior, but the new meter doesn't have any sort of breaker that I can see. This is New York.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I have a claim now winding up to a denial.
Policyholder’s bathroom ceiling fell in. Drywall was wet; insulation above it was saturated.

They were puzzled by this because the roof was replaced within the past year by…the roofer subbed from the solar-panel installation company they contracted. Said that they had to replace the roof (which is rolled asphalt/bitumen) before the panels could be installed.

Turns out the roofers removed the chimney structure completely, sheathed & rolled right over it. Leaving no chimney at all. It’s not entirely clear how exactly this happened.

In any event, the gas hot-water heater was venting directly into the attic space, which was only a foot or so above the ceilings below. But things really got going when they fired up the gas furnace last November…only took a couple months for the humidity to turn that space into an equatorial jungle environment.

The engineer I sent out confirmed that there were no roof leaks. The entire attic space was saturated by combustion by-product moisture.

The best part? They never replaced the roof! They re-sealed seams, and laid some patches here & there, and sheeted over the chimney base…but the insured paid for a new roof. Oh, and when the roofers demolished the masonry chimney structure below the roofline, they packed the flue with masonry debris.

How no one died, I do not know. I sent them the engineer’s report, and I imagine that they’re looking for a good lawyer. No homeowner’s policy covers this kind of thing. They’ve already paid +$10K for a new chimney.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 10, 2024

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe
That story is just bananas. I don't understand how people can be so disconnected from their day to day reality that they wouldn't somehow grasp that maybe, just maybe, things weren't being done properly when they noticed a missing chimney. I'm really hoping that this was an absentee landlord or very elderly person scenario....

Also, I'll just leave this here as a warning to others.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

skybolt_1 posted:

That story is just bananas. I don't understand how people can be so disconnected from their day to day reality that they wouldn't somehow grasp that maybe, just maybe, things weren't being done properly when they noticed a missing chimney. I'm really hoping that this was an absentee landlord or very elderly person scenario....

Also, I'll just leave this here as a warning to others.

https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2024/02/rooftop-solar-is-the-future-but-its-also-a-scam.html

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe
The thing is that when I was getting accosted by solar city reps in Home Depot literally every time I went there from 2010-2016ish, that was when I knew this poo poo was a naked loving scam. Did people think that these companies were "paying" (I assume there was some fuckery here like being 100% commissions based) these college kids to hassle me while I'm looking for outlet covers out of some sense of moral obligation to arrest climate change or something? Never had any solar door-to-door, maybe I just wasn't in the neighborhood for it or something. The whole thing just came across as very predatory and I have to just chalk it up to 50% of people being below average that this stuff ever got the traction it did. It makes used car sales look good.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Vetting solar install companies took longer than getting a new install through design, permitting & installation. They are just so loving bad.

Don't use Energy Sage btw. Supposedly DOE is funding them but the companies on there are just absolute bottom of the barrel. I found my installer through a local ad, and I knew they were the right choice when they offered to install 1/3 of the panels quoted by the other companies, and basically pointed out all the reasons to not install on certain roof segments.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I got a couple of quotes for solar installation, then rang up a distributor and priced it out myself. About $5,500 for all the parts I needed, and that's before applying any discounts/rebates. Versus $25,000 parts plus installation quotes. The markup is just stupid because it's a new enough product, and people have no idea.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Semper Solaris in the Bay Area are cool folks and did a great job.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Nitrox posted:

I got a couple of quotes for solar installation, then rang up a distributor and priced it out myself. About $5,500 for all the parts I needed, and that's before applying any discounts/rebates. Versus $25,000 parts plus installation quotes. The markup is just stupid because it's a new enough product, and people have no idea.

I mean there is value in it, like what structural considerations are there (plus reinforcing), running conduit allllllll over your house, doing the wiring, etc. If you feel comfortable taking all that on then it's def way cheaper tp DIY, but there's no way in hell I could do it.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

shoeberto posted:

I mean there is value in it, like what structural considerations are there (plus reinforcing), running conduit allllllll over your house, doing the wiring, etc. If you feel comfortable taking all that on then it's def way cheaper tp DIY, but there's no way in hell I could do it.

I forgot to add that the installation was $2,200. It took about 6 hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Nitrox posted:

Just wait, some cities and counties in Florida have tried (afaik unsuccessfully but they'll keep trying) to make it illegal to self-install solar.

shoeberto posted:

LMAO if you think a door-to-door solar seller is taking structural considerations into account properly when installing your solar, but if you don't want to run the conduit and/or pull the cables you can hire an electrician to do that part.