Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

so what's the point of a support? DPS stop any healing when they damage people, so you're not effective in combat. teammates heal out of combat, so you've got no role there. you have to rely on the utility abilities that have been nerfed into the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

so what's the point of a support? DPS stop any healing when they damage people, so you're not effective in combat. teammates heal out of combat, so you've got no role there. you have to rely on the utility abilities that have been nerfed into the ground.

Your teammates need dedicated players to blame. That's the Support's job.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

Your teammates need dedicated players to blame. That's the Support's job.

Hey now let's not forget the contributions of the tank.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
if nothing else, definitely some interesting changes that at first glance will very likely make the game more fun. team play will still be by far the most important thing, but that should make everything a bit more flexible

support will still be very impactful because 1) magnitude of support healing is huge 2) support ults are the best ults in the game 3) support healing comes with no delay so it actually gives sustain as opposed to just a 10-15 second delay to recover hp

where are you seeing dps stop healing? there's the partial line about damage reduces healing [indistinguishable] but I'll be very surprised if that ends up being dps stopping all healing

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 30, 2024

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Herstory Begins Now posted:

where are you seeing dps stop healing? there's the partial line about damage reduces healing [indistinguishable] but I'll be very surprised if that ends up being dps stopping all healing

You're right, it just seems like the update is doing a bunch of things to the support role which don't touch what I think are the big problems (lamp, suzu, and evasion abilities)

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Blizzard just fired a bunch of their eSports production crew, including Soe, the caster that they got to announce the new system.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jan 31, 2024

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Wasn't soe like literally the only caster left with an ounce of screen charisma

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
It's all outsourced now anyway, so it didn't make any sense for them to have an unused internal team.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Andrigaar posted:

It's all outsourced now anyway, so it didn't make any sense for them to have an unused internal team.

yeah, it's looking like an ESL model, so there's no real point in keeping an esports division around beyond general coordination and maybe keeping a contract database up and running

i do think soe was the best part of the old OWL broadcast and sincerely hope she lands on her feet somewhere good. there's sadly not a ton of openings with every esport tightening up their belts as it is; i'd say the VCT is her best shot, and i think she'd mesh well with the crew there

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Blizzard just fired a bunch of their eSports production crew, including Soe, the caster that they got to announce the new system.

What the gently caress lol

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i'd chalk that up to standard "giant company has no clue what the gently caress each division is doing" miscommunication

riot had a similar thing happen recently where the LEC (european pro league) had a completely normal as-budgeted first week and then got promptly rugpulled by the layoffs, losing numerous producers and all but a single in-game observer, meaning the NA league had to literally get an observer on the first plane to berlin just so that the week's broadcast could actually run

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

It seems like every company is in "fire all the things" mode

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

headcase posted:

It seems like every company is in "fire all the things" mode

Have to show better numbers for Q1 to appease the shareholders.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

every dumbass finance guy assumed the covid bump was permanent and hiring practices followed accordingly; VC money is also moving more into AI research, the big GaaS push companies were making (sony had, like, loving five of the things in development concurrently at one point) has collapsed, there's a tightening economy overall, and the large gaming-adjacent slush fund that crypto generated went boom with FTX's collapse and the aforementioned shift into AI funding

companies firing people to make their stockholders clap their hands like seals when the number increases is pretty business as usual, but the sheer volume of people being let go points to something more systemic

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Yeah it turns out that when prices don't come back down, people don't keep spending so much. You can only squeeze so much blood from the stone.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Vermain posted:

every dumbass finance guy assumed the covid bump was permanent and hiring practices followed accordingly; VC money is also moving more into AI research, the big GaaS push companies were making (sony had, like, loving five of the things in development concurrently at one point) has collapsed, there's a tightening economy overall, and the large gaming-adjacent slush fund that crypto generated went boom with FTX's collapse and the aforementioned shift into AI funding
its not just the big gaas push collapsing, thatd still leave room for like one to succeed maybe, its that its been entirely subsumed by asian live service f2p games that are generally much cheaper to make and sustain a playerbase longer term.

the current economic tightening is also a boon to those games cause its easy to get started on a free game when you have no money and spend money on it when you get a windfall and are already invested in it. compared to being asked to spend 60 bucks upfront for a lot of this stuff

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
Well, we are getting a Cowboy Bebop crossover which is cool but I feel like that’s an old anime to reference even if it’s my favorite.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Lord Packinham posted:

Well, we are getting a Cowboy Bebop crossover which is cool but I feel like that’s an old anime to reference even if it’s my favorite.

There was a (bad) fairly recent live action remake, seems theres at least some effort to revitalize the IP. Older/"Golden Age" Anime are seeing kind of a bump I think (see: Urusei Yatsuma remake)

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Lord Packinham posted:

Cassidy Spike, Doomfist Jet, Sombre? Faye?

lmao that sucks

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
The only idea that I thought was cool was Ein in a Hammond skin, but that’s probably too much work.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Mad Pierrot roadhog?? Mad Pierrot HAMMOND??

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

The Mythic Moira looks good but it's worrying that they're deemphasizing the customisation aspect. I think the trailer showed.... Mmmmmaybe three options? With 1 and 3 looking v similar

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

I never even notice custom skins except maybe at the end screen. What I do notice is cool sound effects, need more like train Rein.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Sloppy posted:

I never even notice custom skins except maybe at the end screen. What I do notice is cool sound effects, need more like train Rein.

i think they've been more cagey about altering audio effects because of how important sound cues are in the relative visual mess that OW's combat can become. i'm sure i complained about it before, but reinhardt's footballman skin was a loving nightmare whenever i played kiriko because i heavily relied on the audio timing for his ult shout to land suzu properly and it's completely different on that skin alone

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Vermain posted:

i think they've been more cagey about altering audio effects because of how important sound cues are in the relative visual mess that OW's combat can become. i'm sure i complained about it before, but reinhardt's footballman skin was a loving nightmare whenever i played kiriko because i heavily relied on the audio timing for his ult shout to land suzu properly and it's completely different on that skin alone

Back when the game first released, Hanjo's wolf hunter skin had the distinct advantage of a markedly quieter ult call-out. It took them something like a year and a half, but Jeff eventually posted a Mea Culpa and they patched in a new call-out that was roughly as loud as his stock one.

After that they were a bit cagier about significant changes to barks and silhouettes, but that's been relaxing since Jeff the First left.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

There a Tank and a DPS that have the exact same silhouette as each other.
They're way past giving any sort of poo poo.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Wait a loving minute. They are doing a rank reset?! After they have been endlessly repeating how doing a rank reset is a bad idea?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Wait a loving minute. They are doing a rank reset?! After they have been endlessly repeating how doing a rank reset is a bad idea?

lol, and also; lmao

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Uhhh...

Why is the trailer proudly showing off a Gold player being put on the same team as a Grandmaster?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Uhhh...

Why is the trailer proudly showing off a Gold player being put on the same team as a Grandmaster?

because they're letting wildly different ranks group up and calling them "wide groups"

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

because they're letting wildly different ranks group up and calling them "wide groups"

Is that for when you're having way too good of a time with the game and really want tone it down?

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

There a Tank and a DPS that have the exact same silhouette as each other.
They're way past giving any sort of poo poo.

I've seen posts here (and only here) trying to argue this and frankly I'm just not seeing it. Just because Junker Queen and Ashe have a similar idle stance from the side doesn't mean their silhouette is the 'exact same'; far from it. They animate and sound very different from each other, and realistically speaking if you can't tell them apart in combat I don't know what to tell you.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

an actual rank reset is a fantastic idea if you want to immediately crater the quality of games at the start of your season

puppy party
Sep 21, 2008
lol lmao https://overwatch.blizzard.com/en-us/news/24056255/revitalizing-the-overwatch-2-experience/ the leaks were real

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I’m not coming back to this game no matter what but are they really adding *another currency*?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sandwolf posted:

I’m not coming back to this game no matter what but are they really adding *another currency*?

It's a Free2Play game.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

does anyone know if they measure projectile size by the width or by the radius?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

fuckin hanzo arrows the size of telephone poles being spammed into chokes, can't wait

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

the Jade weapons are such garbage too, I thought the initial photos were placeholders and they were going to do something cool with shaders to make them look more gem-like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Green! Your guns get to be green.