Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

if you think police/the justice system are bad and you try to get removed from jury duty you’re bitchmade. wear a mask and nullify

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Don't just nullify everything just because you can jeez.

It's your civic duty to pay attention and look at the facts and learn if the defendant is a landlord or a cop, then vote guilty and agitate your fellow jury member to vote guilty and suggest the maximum penalty

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

yeah exactly, leftists trying to get out of jury duty ensures we get the most credulous dipshits possible on cases

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Tex-Air doesn't make filters that fit my furnace intake (14x14), is there a reliable 3rd party manufacturer I can buy a case from or should I just stick it to 3M? I can never remember which of the generics is actually good.

I looked and the last ones i got were from filtersfast which seemed fine.

Gunshow Poophole has issued a correction as of 15:45 on Feb 8, 2024

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

inferis posted:

yeah exactly, leftists trying to get out of jury duty ensures we get the most credulous dipshits possible on cases

You're going to get the most credulous dipshits possible on any sort of jury because anyone with any sort of internal monologue or curiosity gets weeded out. Just answer the questions honestly and you'll most likely be removed from the pool.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

You're going to get the most credulous dipshits possible on any sort of jury because anyone with any sort of internal monologue or curiosity gets weeded out. Just answer the questions honestly and you'll most likely be removed from the pool.

why would you answer honestly, the courts and juries are the one place in politics where a normal citizen has genuine power over the law

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I'm not advocating for dodging jury duty. If I wasn't immunocompromised I'd definitely be willing to sit on whatever jury, assuming I'd be allowed to wear a mask, which who knows with the judges around here. My employer pays full pay during jury duty anyway.

I was just saying, most people think they need to make up some elaborate lie about how massively biased they are, and I mean we all are biased. Judges and lawyers know this. And it almost always will affect our judgement, most people are lying (whether they know it or not) when they say in jury selection 'oh yeah I can definitely for sure set that aside'. So if you actually just tell the truth that it may well affect your verdict and you won't really know for sure until you've seen everything, that'll usually get you booted.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

inferis posted:

why would you answer honestly, the courts and juries are the one place in politics where a normal citizen has genuine power over the law

What? No they don't. The judge can always overrule the jury decision if they want to.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lol there is zero chance whatsoever that we get any kind of show in the US that acknowledges the pandemic as anything other than something that happened a long time ago and is very over. Sports media might offhandedly mention "the covid year" but that's it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrwwghZatuU

I think Superstore was actually pretty good at addressing how lovely working retail is, particularly the season when they became Essential Worker Heroes.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

inferis posted:

if you think police/the justice system are bad and you try to get removed from jury duty you’re bitchmade. wear a mask and nullify

mags
May 30, 2008

NeonPunk posted:

What? No they don't. The judge can always overrule the jury decision if they want to.

yeah probably but hey its still more useful than voting to try and throw a wrench in the gears here or there

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Btw in case anybody is lost, this is the COVID thread, not the legal justice/ACAB/whatever thread. It's not exactly shocking that the people hanging out here might not want to spend days in a jury box shoulder-to-shoulder with people coughing on them and likely having to repeatedly remove their mask to drink or for security checks, etc... That's assuming the judge isn't an rear end in a top hat who last minute demands they take their masks off so the lawyers can see their beautiful smiles or whatever. All while we're just getting over the hump of the worst wave we've had since initial omicron.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Rescue Toaster posted:

Btw in case anybody is lost, this is the COVID thread, not the legal justice/ACAB/whatever thread. It's not exactly shocking that the people hanging out here might not want to spend days in a jury box shoulder-to-shoulder with people coughing on them and likely having to repeatedly remove their mask to drink or for security checks, etc... That's assuming the judge isn't an rear end in a top hat who last minute demands they take their masks off so the lawyers can see their beautiful smiles or whatever. All while we're just getting over the hump of the worst wave we've had since initial omicron.

If you have the judge makes you take your mask off or something sure do what you can to get out of jury duty, but you'll know that pretty early on in the process. If they let you wear your n95 and not have to take it off, get on that jury and nullify (if applicable).

mags
May 30, 2008

Rescue Toaster posted:

what the heck is omicron

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

mags posted:

what the heck is omicron

not much man, what is omicron with you? did I do that right?

mags
May 30, 2008

an owls casket posted:

not much man, what is omicron with you? did I do that right?

:confused:

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

lol there is zero chance whatsoever that we get any kind of show in the US that acknowledges the pandemic as anything other than something that happened a long time ago and is very over. Sports media might offhandedly mention "the covid year" but that's it.

The entire last season of Superstore had the cast members masked. Naturally they took the masks off in the break rooms, but they delivered a lot of lines behind surgical masks.

edit - beaten

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

To be fair that show ended in March 2021, before covid became Mild

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Voting in a jury is a form of voting, so I'm afraid as a cspam poster it would be gauche to be seen talking about doing it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

NeonPunk posted:

Don't just nullify everything just because you can jeez.

It's your civic duty to pay attention and look at the facts and learn if the defendant is a landlord or a cop, then vote guilty and agitate your fellow jury member to vote guilty and suggest the maximum penalty

ah yes, the modern leftist praxis of... locking people in prison

But yeah, not the acab thread or whatever.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

We need to have a restorative justice circle with the creators and funders of the Great Barrington Declaration

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Atrocious Joe posted:

We need to have a restorative justice circle with the creators and funders of the Great Barrington Declaration

You're not really the person to throw stones about leftist praxis around covid.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

I was exposed to someone yesterday for two hours who tested positive for covid this morning. I was in a KN95, they were unmasked. I'm trying to figure out how to mitigate risk to my household members and when I can consider myself to be all clear, assuming I consistently test negative going forward.

I have two young kids and my elderly mother is due to drive up on Saturday morning, and one kid has an outdoor birthday party on Sunday. I've already told my mother that she'll have to stay outside our home, and if I continue to test negative, the kids and I will limit contact with her to outdoors only. Inside the house, I have air purifiers running in every room. I'm assuming that unless I test positive, I can go ahead hosting the outdoor party, since my kids are the only attendees who even bother to mask at school and presumably an outdoor contact with someone who was exposed while masked but testing negative is no meaningful increase to the attendees' risk profiles.

I just ordered some Metrix tests, and I have RATs as well. My thinking right now is that I'll take a Metrix each morning; if I test negative, am I reasonably safe being indoors around my kids with the purifiers running? It's chilly here, but I could also leave windows open for ventilation. Should I be masking indoors around them? Eating outdoors? Is there value in taking a RAT each evening in addition to the morning's Metrix test?

How many days in a row do I need to test negative before I can relax? Is there anything else I'm overlooking?

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I'm gonna call covid the Maryland malaise.

tuyop posted:

ah yes, the modern leftist praxis of... locking people in prison

But yeah, not the acab thread or whatever.

Do you think China doesn't have prisons?

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

A guy I know went to a performance of his favourite Irish singer/songwriter who just happens to be touring and he had the most wonderful time in the world, hanging out with friends and getting pissed with random drunk Irishmen and listening to some of his favourite music and talking the night away. Of course he didn't wear a mask because you can't go drinking if you're wearing a mask .... and then today he announced that he's come down with something and even though he's currently testing negative on RATs he's going to take the rest of the week off because it's almost certainly covid.
At least he's voluntarily isolating, I guess? :shrug:

It could be a different illness. Perhaps the flu.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Shiroc posted:

You're not really the person to throw stones about leftist praxis around covid.

I've been sick for over a month with respiratory issues and testing negative so you win

Although tbh this is partly me going back to the pre-COVID winter norm after growing up next to an industrial site and then working in an industry that handled lots of aerosolized chemicals and disdained PPE.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Atrocious Joe posted:

I've been sick for over a month with respiratory issues and testing negative so you win

Although tbh this is partly me going back to the pre-COVID winter norm after growing up next to an industrial site and then working in an industry that handled lots of aerosolized chemicals and disdained PPE.

I don't consider that a win. I think you need to be less of a jackass about someone else's takes when your own in this thread are an endless series of worthless self owns.

Shiroc has issued a correction as of 20:01 on Feb 8, 2024

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Weka posted:

I'm gonna call covid the Maryland malaise.

Do you think China doesn't have prisons?

what does China have to do with anything

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I'm going to be a jackass about ultra-left abolitionism because it's a defeatist orientation.

COVID controls are the perfect example, because there needs to be hard lines and enforcement

I was at a discussion about Palestine solidarity, and someone asserted that because they were deaf but could understand people through lip reading. The whole room then took off their masks for accessibility. The main facilitator literally has long COVID and they still went along with it, taking off their mask to not be exclusionary. It was wild.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Lmao one of my clients gave me a late Xmas gift today: a 20-pack of N95s and some lotto scratchers.

I love it!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Atrocious Joe posted:

I'm going to be a jackass about ultra-left abolitionism because it's a defeatist orientation.

COVID controls are the perfect example, because there needs to be hard lines and enforcement

I was at a discussion about Palestine solidarity, and someone asserted that because they were deaf but could understand people through lip reading. The whole room then took off their masks for accessibility. The main facilitator literally has long COVID and they still went along with it, taking off their mask to not be exclusionary. It was wild.

You’re a tremendous dumbass.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Shiroc posted:

You’re a tremendous dumbass.

I thought that was a precondition for an account?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Truly there was no other way to solve this problem.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Atrocious Joe posted:

yeah you’re right actually. since some people in your local Palestinian solidarity group are idiots about covid, we have no choice but to put people in cages. makes perfect sense.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
You didn't even make it less exclusionary at all. You just made a different choice about who was an acceptable sacrifice. Improving inclusion would have been to get someone to actively transcribe stuff and then be able to plan forward to get more formalized transcription or captioning, get the window masks or something.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Steely Dad posted:

I was exposed to someone yesterday for two hours who tested positive for covid this morning. I was in a KN95, they were unmasked.

I just ordered some Metrix tests, and I have RATs as well. My thinking right now is that I'll take a Metrix each morning; if I test negative, am I reasonably safe being indoors around my kids with the purifiers running? It's chilly here, but I could also leave windows open for ventilation. Should I be masking indoors around them? Eating outdoors? Is there value in taking a RAT each evening in addition to the morning's Metrix test?

How many days in a row do I need to test negative before I can relax? Is there anything else I'm overlooking?

I guess it depends on the nature of the encounter but you likely encounter positive people on like, grocery shops or bus rides if you do those. as long as you didn’t take your mask off, you have very good odds of not being infected. kn95s work if you have a good seal.

in your shoes, i would likely not test or change my behaviour at all.

I think the protocol is four negative tests: 2 each on days 3 and 4 after exposure. I do that if I’m around someone without a mask (lol) and they report symptoms, or I start having symptoms.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

How does a state enforce public health policy without coercive powers. Quarantine historically has even been synonymous with incarceration. China was demonized for "locking people in their own apartments" during the initial stages of the pandemic where they did the most to stamp out the virus. The blows against public health in the US have been dealt through challenging the state's ability to enforce mask mandates or lack of will to enforce already enshrined workers' protections.

Racialized mass incarceration in the US is a specific policy that must be combated. Its continued existence is a crime against humanity. However, coercive state power in itself is not obsolete until exploiting classes no longer exist.

The Palestine organizing anecdote was about how the rhetoric of inclusivity and disability rights can be weaponized against health very quickly if there is not a deeper understanding and set policies even in activist spaces with relatively high levels of consciousness. Like, most Palestinian diaspora spaces I've been in don't even have masks present.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Shiroc posted:

You didn't even make it less exclusionary at all. You just made a different choice about who was an acceptable sacrifice. Improving inclusion would have been to get someone to actively transcribe stuff and then be able to plan forward to get more formalized transcription or captioning, get the window masks or something.

Oh I left. I didn't make a choice for the group.

Edit: wait does that mean I was excluded

Atrocious Joe has issued a correction as of 20:42 on Feb 8, 2024

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

tuyop posted:

I guess it depends on the nature of the encounter but you likely encounter positive people on like, grocery shops or bus rides if you do those. as long as you didn’t take your mask off, you have very good odds of not being infected. kn95s work if you have a good seal.

in your shoes, i would likely not test or change my behaviour at all.

I think the protocol is four negative tests: 2 each on days 3 and 4 after exposure. I do that if I’m around someone without a mask (lol) and they report symptoms, or I start having symptoms.

Okay, thanks. I'm very cautious because I WFH and have immediately family members who are high risk, so I'm not used to being around other people for extended periods anymore indoors. I don't have a sense for what threshold should be for assuming I've been infected.

It sounds like I should continue as normal, basically, except I'll still take a Metrix each morning so that if I did get something, at least I catch it before I start spending the day around family members, so I can cut the risk of in-home spread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Fwiw I have the same exposure level pretty often (but with glasses) and I’ve never gotten it while I was masked. I wouldn’t worry as much, unless you’re on an immunosuppressant or you did one of those “I wore a mask (except while eating)” things.

I think continuing to test is good, and the outdoor birthday party is fine. More ventilation indoors can’t hurt, but I wouldn’t go nuts with it if the heaters can’t keep up or something. I would let my mom make the call about indoors vs. outdoors, since it’s cold.

Anne Whateley has issued a correction as of 20:53 on Feb 8, 2024