Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Psycho Landlord posted:

giant voiceless statues with no mouths or actual will are well known for giving concise and clear orders on the battlefield

Well, that makes sense. Krell could have been a lord though. Ariel, too. Gotrek being a lord? lol?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm also not a huge fan of most legendary heroes since so many of their skills just break the power curve with raw stats and make whatever army they are in pretty much unbeatable and the AI isn't great at using them, but Saytang looks unique enough that he'll fit a new role as long range artillery monster instead of just being some dude who can 1vs2000 a army while buffing the other 19 units with absurd stats.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I am pleased to see new things and look forward to playing with new toys

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
I think legendary heroes are really cool but some of the choices have been really uninspired. Aekold, harry and ulrika are just the most bleh stat sticks, just souped up heroes that don't really do anything interesting and come out about the time you're already in a win-more state.

I think the gold standard is gorduz, who comes out early, isn't a ridiculous beatstick, and has a skill line based around turning your early cheap low-tier goblin army into a cheaper mid-tier goblin army. Then when that's run out of usefulness, you can keep him around as a speedy beatstick.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I am pleased to see new things and look forward to playing with new toys
Absolutely disgusting.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Onehandclapping posted:

I think legendary heroes are really cool but some of the choices have been really uninspired. Aekold, harry and ulrika are just the most bleh stat sticks, just souped up heroes that don't really do anything interesting and come out about the time you're already in a win-more state.

I think the gold standard is gorduz, who comes out early, isn't a ridiculous beatstick, and has a skill line based around turning your early cheap low-tier goblin army into a cheaper mid-tier goblin army. Then when that's run out of usefulness, you can keep him around as a speedy beatstick.

Aekold is a melee hero for a faction that otherwise doesn't get them though. He at least fills a niche.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Onehandclapping posted:

From the victory conditions overhaul mod, I quite like Grimgor Ironbound that Astragoth can pick up. He's a hell of a single-model beatstick and also turns orc laborers into legit glass cannon units that act and have stats an awful lot like slayers.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If you count Gotrex, Gotrex and Felix are the best legendary hero concept, you choose when to start your 20 turns of using them before they go have adventures elsewhere, no passive skills that make your army unbeatable, just good hero units with good abilities and stats.

Their only flaw is that they made Gotrex a lord instead of a hero, so he just has to kind of follow your army around instead and sometimes get ambushed.

Gorduz is a great concept too for a legendary hero too with buffing up lesser used units on a faction for a new playstyle in a army, but I don't have the DLC to try him out.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Aekold is a melee hero for a faction that otherwise doesn't get them though. He at least fills a niche.

And Ulrika gives Kislev access to the lore of shadows, which admittedly was a lot more significant when she came out instead of after the addition of Hags.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Is kind of a shame they won't really touch the Ungol/Gospodar divide but I get it, Kislev is changed. The replacement with the state/church rivalry is pretty underbaked though, just a basic points race

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

jokes posted:

Well, that makes sense. Krell could have been a lord though. Ariel, too. Gotrek being a lord? lol?

Nah I agree with this, Ariel should be a lord. Gotrek shouldn't be.

Krell also shouldn't be until the nagash dlc

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

This update slaps, I don't know what's up with the haters. This is exactly the kind of course correction we needed. If the content doesn't appeal to you, fine, sure. But this is absolutely solid value, especially if you're part of the wait for sale crew. Can't wait to snipe big nasty chaos birb casters with winged god statue.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
yeah this is all lookin good. I never started that Empire campaign, got distracted with Phantom Brigade. this patch would be good to jump in with fresh eyes

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
drat, I was expecting one new unit for everyone in the DLC. My mind is boggling at the thought of an update this size basically as response to a backlash to a pretty lovely press release, and what the work must look like on the developers’ end.

They also say they’re making Cathay’s statue units into constructs like the Tomb Kings. I wonder if that means they’ll remove Unbreakable from the Sentinel.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 8, 2024

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'd pay for an optimization patch at this point. Maybe it's the TOW map but getting out of battles takes forever, and I have an M.2 SSD and all that jazz

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

TaintedBalance posted:

This update slaps, I don't know what's up with the haters. This is exactly the kind of course correction we needed. If the content doesn't appeal to you, fine, sure. But this is absolutely solid value, especially if you're part of the wait for sale crew. Can't wait to snipe big nasty chaos birb casters with winged god statue.

Bitchers gonna bitch

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

jokes posted:

I'd pay for an optimization patch at this point. Maybe it's the TOW map but getting out of battles takes forever, and I have an M.2 SSD and all that jazz

Yup. Maybe they're just at the limit of how good they can make it, or they're saving a second use of their Load Time Fix spell for the next PR fail

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

TaintedBalance posted:

Does this correction change the price of the DLC to equal the same content as the chaos dwarf DLC

Was the chaos dwarf DLC overpriced

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

jokes posted:

Krell needs to be a hero so he's never separated from his bro-for-unlife.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I still don't have WH3, any chance it goes on sale with this patch or the next DLC?

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Dolash posted:

Krell needs to be a hero so he's never separated from his bro-for-unlife.

Yeah, the poor old man is confused as it is already with his constant ":byodood: WHERE IS KRELL!"

You found him Heinrich, you found him :unsmith:

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
chris tucker looking@krell, who smells: drat he ain't gonna be in warhammer 3

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Third World Reagan posted:

Does this correction change the price of the DLC to equal the same content as the chaos dwarf DLC

Was the chaos dwarf DLC overpriced

I don't think it matters either way? I think they've demonstrated real goodwill here. I don't need each piece of DLC to be perfectly calculated to value per dollar or whatever. I just need to feel I get a good deal for the price and most importantly that the company isn't slapping an extra $5-10 on top to test how addicted/stupid I am.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

I still don't have WH3, any chance it goes on sale with this patch or the next DLC?

Probably next dlc or major steam fest

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Cranappleberry posted:

krell, who smells

glad someone else noticed!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

How does Krell smell, when he has no nose?

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

legendary heroes are cool cause they add a bit of flavor to your armies and can be extremely valuable if you get them early enough

also, its great for the ai cause it makes some of their armies actually a challenge

big fan of the announced changes so far

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Dammit. You guys are going to make me do yet another Kemmler game.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Gonna start one right now, I haven't played VCounts in ages and Kemmler even longer.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Nash posted:

Dammit. You guys are going to make me do yet another Kemmler game.

Every game is a Kemmler game as he is the main character of Warhammer

Where's the mod to have his cart be drawn by the leaders of the last two factions you destroyed

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Doomykins posted:

I don't think it matters either way? I think they've demonstrated real goodwill here. I don't need each piece of DLC to be perfectly calculated to value per dollar or whatever. I just need to feel I get a good deal for the price and most importantly that the company isn't slapping an extra $5-10 on top to test how addicted/stupid I am.

As long as you are ok with 20% hikes or more, yah, it doesn't matter.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
good content from a dead studio!!!

John Mirra
Dec 18, 2005

Me, driving past all the haters

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Also, for a supposedly mid-February release date is soon! I'm excited for this DLC update. Seems like good additions and course corrections. And on board from Thrones of Decay too!

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

I wonder what the new Tzeentch generic lord and hero will be. I'd be okay-ish with chaos exalted heroes and chaos lords in part because those with barrier would be rather interesting, and if they had access to a lot of the Tz traits or their own special ones it could be rather interesting. And also, to be frank, I don't know what else you do? But I'd love to see a stab at something more unique. Bray-shaman could be another reuse that would fit with the tzangor and give you access to schools you normally don't, although they'd need reworked skill trees at a minimum.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

John Mirra posted:

Me, driving past all the haters

lol is this from when Greasus had his speed off by an extra zero?

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Captain Beans posted:

lol is this from when Greasus had his speed off by an extra zero?

Yup. When they accidently made Greasus awesome. Fortunately, he quickly went back to being boring and horrible.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
there's supposed to be a model cap on speed but I'm not sure if the greasus model had one or a reasonable one lol.

it'll display any number you buff it to but the unit will not go that speed, instead just the model max. at one point you were able to pump some unit's speed (dwarven rangers were one case, I think) to near the hundreds but they only went like 60.

There was no cap on range tho or damage so trollfire torpedoes could hit units from across the map and destroy them. not sure how much splash is increased by base but there was a breakdown a few pages ago.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

Cranappleberry posted:

there's supposed to be a model cap on speed but I'm not sure if the greasus model had one or a reasonable one lol.

it'll display any number you buff it to but the unit will not go that speed, instead just the model max. at one point you were able to pump some unit's speed (dwarven rangers were one case, I think) to near the hundreds but they only went like 60.

There was no cap on range tho or damage so trollfire torpedoes could hit units from across the map and destroy them. not sure how much splash is increased by base but there was a breakdown a few pages ago.

The model cap is tied to some animation stuff I've never dug deeply into, which is part of why already fast units can get more benefit out of it, and things like chariots. Which Greasus' model quasi-is from my understanding of his model (this could be very wrong), which is why he was able to get so much benefit out of the speed. He still wasn't going the actual speed amount listed, but it was quite busted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I haven't played WH3 since chaos dwarves came out, any big mechanics/gameplay changes since then that I should know about? Specifically in regards to how settlements should be captured?