Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
is there a strong mechanic explainer on the tubes that doesn't speak/appeal to their audience as if they were preteens? the perfect information guy is pretty good, but doesn't seem to do everything and/or expects you to know what the mechanic does at a base level already.

I logged in since the first month of beta years ago to brush up on the game & after pushing up to level 95, I still hadn't found the glyph between ascendance & research, & would like to know what it does before launch lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
Boardman21 is pretty reliable. His main schtick is level 1 to 76 leveling guides for popular builds but he has some general info videos like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4M2skyWYFc&t=543s

The best place for information about the game in general is https://www.lastepochtools.com. It has a mirrored version of the in-game guide (which hasn't been updated in ~2 years but is still fairly useful) and a resources section where you can quickly look up items, skills, monolith and dunegon information. The glyph you are asking about is a Rune of Creation https://www.lastepochtools.com/db/category/runes/items.

https://lastepoch.tunklab.com/ is another good site for looking up skills and items and has calculators for stuff like eHP, armor scaling, and unique drop rates.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

anybody else ready to destroy this video game on release?????

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah I'll probably gently caress it up pretty good when it comes out. I pinballed off of Diablo 4 hard right after season 1 started because I couldn't care less about anything else that game had to offer but I am really looking forward to checking this out again.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

D4 had the best campaign of any ARPG by a Longshot, which is admittedly a low bar, but yea everything after that was just trash.

In generally I'm feeling really burnt out on the genre - I binged 100+ hours into this when I first bought it, but when I reinstalled for the Runemaster I bounced off it so hard.

Hoping the Falconer is cool and holds my interest longer.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

Lpzie posted:

anybody else ready to destroy this video game on release?????

I am going to play it respectfully and like a gentleman, and will probably use that new acolyte skill that looks like a giant skull that screams enemies to death.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Sab669 posted:

D4 had the best campaign of any ARPG by a Longshot, which is admittedly a low bar, but yea everything after that was just trash.

In generally I'm feeling really burnt out on the genre - I binged 100+ hours into this when I first bought it, but when I reinstalled for the Runemaster I bounced off it so hard.

Hoping the Falconer is cool and holds my interest longer.

D4 just went on sale on Steam for 40% off. Still over $40, but I might cave in and finally buy it to play through the campaign. Not sure how long it will be before it gets cheaper than that.

I'm honestly not really hyped up for Last Epoch release, but I have over 200 hours into it and I am sure I'll be back at some point to try out the new classes and I hope that it's very successful as I have definitely enjoyed and gotten my moneys worth out of this game.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Not sure it's worth paying $42 + Tax to experience. But yea, as you said, I doubt it'll go on sale lower than that any time soon.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

The Locator posted:

D4 just went on sale on Steam for 40% off. Still over $40, but I might cave in and finally buy it to play through the campaign. Not sure how long it will be before it gets cheaper than that.

As a narrative, campaign-only title it's not worth the money. Aside from being better than the exceptionally low bar of Diablo 3's campaign it's got nothing to offer that watching the cinematics on youtube won't get you.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Yeah I enjoyed it, but I also got the game for free.... I wouldn't pay more than like $15 for it imo, even if you want it for just the story.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Mailer posted:

As a narrative, campaign-only title it's not worth the money. Aside from being better than the exceptionally low bar of Diablo 3's campaign it's got nothing to offer that watching the cinematics on youtube won't get you.

It's probably fixed now but the big cinematic that everyone loves crashed the game client on a bunch of pc configurations. I ended up watching it on YouTube even after paying for it

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
How's this on the steam deck?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

mcvey posted:

How's this on the steam deck?

Playable, but not perfect. Apparently 1.0 is improving controller and Linux support, but steam deck is still not an official priority.

I wish 1.0 wasn’t coming 1 week before ff7 rebirth. I’ll probably mess around with Falconer for a week or so, but that’s all.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Rakeris posted:

Yeah I enjoyed it, but I also got the game for free.... I wouldn't pay more than like $15 for it imo, even if you want it for just the story.

Sab669 posted:

Not sure it's worth paying $42 + Tax to experience. But yea, as you said, I doubt it'll go on sale lower than that any time soon.

Mailer posted:

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not feeling really compelled to play it at the moment anyway, so I'll probably hold off. The sale is to Feb 20th anyway if I suddenly feel a dumb urge to spend that much on it.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I think a time travel story can be difficult to tell. They did not succeed here, imo. It's been a couple years since I played it though, and I think it was missing an act that came out later.

In any ARPG, I'm furiously clicking next, so maybe some of that is on me. But towards the end of this campaign, I was next-ing even more urgently than normal.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Nah, it's not just you, the Last Epoch campaign as a story is Not Great and in particular the lack of worldbuilding effort definitely stood out for me against even, say, Grim Dawn or Wolcen, let alone something like Titan Quest or Diablo IV (that of course have established settings to build off) or PoE (which of course has had a lot more time, I didn't play it at launch so maybe it was like this then too).

The time travel conceit doesn't help it narratively but on the other hand it DOES let you skip at least half the campaign at various points so who's to say whether it's bad or not?

of course this IS an ARPG so none of this REALLY matters, I'm aware

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Seems pretty clear to me that it's a riff on Chrono Trigger, and considering they even have the exact same End of Time with the sage Gaspard, it's not like they're being subtle. And like Chrono Trigger, it's not really about time travel so much as visiting different eras as set pieces. You've got the age of the gods, the age of dinosaurs, and the age of skeletons. I suppose they could do more to distinguish the Imperial and Ruined ages though. Also it needs way more dinosaurs.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 7, 2024

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Yeah I rather like the basic conceit of the plot as a chrono trigger callback, but it's pretty barebones right now and what's shown so far really has felt like build up of the sort of mystery of what's going on and how extensive the Traveler's role is in the sort of time travel cosmology they're making, but it's all just hinted at so far.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Dallan Invictus posted:

Nah, it's not just you, the Last Epoch campaign as a story is Not Great and in particular the lack of worldbuilding effort definitely stood out for me against even, say, Grim Dawn or Wolcen, let alone something like Titan Quest or Diablo IV (that of course have established settings to build off) or PoE (which of course has had a lot more time, I didn't play it at launch so maybe it was like this then too).

The time travel conceit doesn't help it narratively but on the other hand it DOES let you skip at least half the campaign at various points so who's to say whether it's bad or not?

of course this IS an ARPG so none of this REALLY matters, I'm aware

the story of it was mostly a snooze to me but that's because i have a very visceral disgust of time travel being used in almost everything. it's like a permanent malus on whatever i find it in

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s an awful concept and somehow it’s like catnip for writers who think they’ve got what it takes to do it well

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
If you're paying attention to an ARPG story then you aren't clicking monsters fast enough

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Sloober posted:

the story of it was mostly a snooze to me but that's because i have a very visceral disgust of time travel being used in almost everything. it's like a permanent malus on whatever i find it in

oh I am absolutely the same about time travel, and I never played Chrono Trigger so I guess I wasn't primed for this one anyway

but I feel the same about post-apocalypses and Grim Dawn did a way better job telling a story I was predisposed to dislike

but allll that said I still agree with this

Clarste posted:

And like Chrono Trigger, it's not really about time travel so much as visiting different eras as set pieces. You've got the age of the gods, the age of dinosaurs, and the age of skeletons. I suppose they could do more to distinguish the Imperial and Ruined ages though. Also it needs way more dinosaurs.

as a story it is no great shakes

as an excuse to slaughter your way through interestingly varied environments with interestingly varied stuff to kill it is honestly top notch, and that's the important part here

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Feb 7, 2024

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I play this genre primarily for the leveling experience and IMO this game does leveling very well. I'm always crafting or finding (and then crafting) new gear, getting new skills and adding to my various skill trees to improve or change my character all the way into the empowered monoliths.

Honestly the story doesn't matter and I only have a fairly basic 'overview' idea of what the story is in the game even after leveling over a dozen characters into monoliths. I tend to peter out in the endgame when it turns into a grind, so the vast majority of my characters cap out under level 80.

For me LE is one of the best in the genre for making the leveling/character building process fun.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Rufio posted:

If you're paying attention to an ARPG story then you aren't clicking monsters fast enough

:yeah:

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

my first run through I read all the lore. it was fine. now I can blast through guilt free.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Clarste posted:

Seems pretty clear to me that it's a riff on Chrono Trigger, and considering they even have the exact same End of Time with the sage Gaspard, it's not like they're being subtle. And like Chrono Trigger, it's not really about time travel so much as visiting different eras as set pieces. You've got the age of the gods, the age of dinosaurs, and the age of skeletons. I suppose they could do more to distinguish the Imperial and Ruined ages though. Also it needs way more dinosaurs.
Yeah you don't really ever spend an extended period of time in the Ancient era, you just visit it briefly, usually to bypass an obstacle.

nerox
May 20, 2001

Rufio posted:

Steam says I have 1700 hours in Path of Exile. I have no loving clue why I am killing everything in that game.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

nerox posted:

Steam says I have 1700 hours in Path of Exile. I have no loving clue why I am killing everything in that game.

Maybe we're the real monsters.

nerox
May 20, 2001

MajorBonnet posted:

No, I had to destroy that Rhoa nest and break all the eggs cause they had an item I needed.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

PoE does at least have the cool Maori aesthetic to distinguish it a little

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

MajorBonnet posted:

Hey it was pre-emptive self defense

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

nerox posted:

I got PoE direct from GGG so even though it shows up now in my Steam Library, there are no statistics available for played time. I think that's probably a good thing as I don't want to know how much of my life I've spent in that game!

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Steam doesn't track how much time you spent fiddling in PoB or reading build guides or watching 45 minute Youtube tutorials or configuring elaborate trade searches, so safe to say you should at least double whatever time Steam tells you

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

nerox posted:

I have nearly 6k hours and my understanding of the lore is that we're "criminal" outcasts, but also somehow moral enough not to cast spells or abilities in towns, any character can ascend into godhood by simply possessing the correct items, and the whole universe is governed by some (wo)manchild freak who's really into "watching" you, and will occasionally play with you like a cat would a laser pointer. there's some guys in there that don't care about any of it but This One Thing (much like many of the players). I couldn't even remember all 4 of those guys so I had to google one of them (it was niko lmao). I know a whole lot more is going on but who gives a gently caress about any of it, I'm here to slay pixels and pick up other pixels that help me slay pixels even harder in a cycle befitting a snake eating its' own tail.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Dang the Falconer looks cool as gently caress

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Falconer reveal by Ziz + Maxroll team: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlxyfrJuVVI

The explosive trap bow variant is definitely dope.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah the bow trapper seems insane, might start with that. definitely doing a falconer first either way,.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Yep, going Falconer first now.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
You simple sheeple, so distracted by a new and shiny class. Ziz puts out a video and you swarm like ants on a discarded apple core. Have some conviction! The new class should be played by someone deserving! Someone that understands the value of a class! Someone that deserves to have a cool bird! Me! I deserve the cool bird! I am not swayed by shiny new birds, I have achieved self actualization and choose the bird because it is what is right! I WILL NAME HIM ESTAVO!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008
Im kinda interested in the net trap bleed spam build myself, throwing caltrops around everywhere and bombing away with the bird carry looks like a loving blast actually; shame about having to dump all the crit chance bonuses going that route tho