Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

This festivals lineup seems heavily slanted towards Sunday for some reason.

https://bourbonandbeyond2024.frontg...ntent=frontgate

swickles posted:

So we gonna do all this coronation and new king bullshit in a year aren't we:

https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1754957713333739810?t=0ni06jwWMSoUyeJe_40u5A&s=19

He’s got cancer but they won’t say what kind? That’s ominous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

General Dog posted:

Deciding to just go ahead and die at 80 rather than doing chemo isn’t the craziest thing in the world.

I'm kind of with you there. He got to wear the cool hat and robes and will go down in the history books as King. No need to put any actual effort into it.

Intruder posted:

Five years after getting your degree not a single potential employer will give a poo poo what your GPA was anyway

Five? I'd say that your GPA doesn't matter after you have a year+ of work experience to point to. Pretty sure I dropped mine from my resume after getting my first job.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Grittybeard posted:

Potions? Do people really refer to natural remedies as potions, or is he going to a witch to find these?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
You do not drink potions, you quaff them

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

The King is constantly hearing the "your life force is running out" voice from the 1980s arcade hit, Gauntlet and has chosen to shove a quarter in his butthole every time. Please respect his use of this traditional natural remedy.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
If I had a nickel for every time…

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Thaddius the Large posted:

At least the bear tape would be over a lot quicker

Shoot, same for me and skiing, I used to be pretty good then took 7 years off, first time out my brain scanned the run just as fast as ever, like I hadn’t missed a beat, and then my legs just didn’t respond to my mental command to turn?

do squats on a half bosu ball and your legs will turn again.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Well yikes, last time I went skiing was 9 years ago at Wilmot. Now I'm going skiing next weekend in Banff, better stick to the green dots.

incredibly jealous. My Breckenridge trip in two weeks pales in comparison

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Portland was floated as a possible landing spot for the Raiders, which the entire community went "no thank you."

Quiet Feet posted:

The King is constantly hearing the "your life force is running out" voice from the 1980s arcade hit, Gauntlet and has chosen to shove a quarter in his butthole every time. Please respect his use of this traditional natural remedy.
King Chuck saw the 1st episode of The Upright Citizens Brigade and thought it was a good idea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9aM_dT5VMI

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

FizFashizzle posted:

This festivals lineup seems heavily slanted towards Sunday for some reason.

https://bourbonandbeyond2024.frontg...ntent=frontgate

He’s got cancer but they won’t say what kind? That’s ominous.

I thought they said it was prostate cancer last week.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

swickles posted:

Unrelated to his prostate exam

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

For the record I’m not naive enough to think GPA matters to employers, but just personally obsessing to try and nail down the material as An Old and distinguish myself in transfer applications and maybe grad school if I decide to make that move.

swickles posted:

I think they found it during prostate procedure but specifically denied it being prostate. Led to some speculation of colon but maybe he’s just one huge sentient met at this point.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
https://x.com/ecto_fun/status/1755395443322761335?s=20

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

kiimo posted:

do squats on a half bosu ball and your legs will turn again.

You just reminded me they had me do this when I did pt a couple years ago. I hated it so much. It was torture. I should probably do it again.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's really good for stabilizing muscles

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Totally, it was part of my PT routine a few years back rehabbing my knee, good stuff! And thankfully I’m still active enough the skiing came back pretty quick, it was just funny the disconnect between my brain being so ready and my legs not having the same easy recall for what was once second nature

Edit: on the subject of getting physically ready for stuff, I was looking ahead to this summer and hoping to get into the Enchantments in Washington, ideally backpacking if I can win an overnight permit in the lottery, otherwise I’m thinking I’ll do the one day route. 20-22 miles, big elevation but mostly within my comfort zone, the exciting bit will be Aasgard Pass, wherein you gain 2000 feet in just 1 mile. Gonna be getting really familiar with the stairmaster this spring!

Thaddius the Large fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 8, 2024

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I stepped onto a skateboard for the first time in like 30 years the other day. I felt like I was going to die.

My ability to ollie was completely gone

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

My daughter wants to go ice skating and learn to roller skate, and although I used to be a pretty passable skater and rollerblader (thanks Mighty Ducks and Airborne lol), I’m nervous that my ligaments are going to shoot out of my knees and hips and ankles like an abandoned cartoon couch.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Maybe just stay off Devil's Backbone

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I’m a fairly active guy and in decent shape for 40 (although I could be better) but that muscle memory has been gone for awhile.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

LeeMajors posted:

My daughter wants to go ice skating and learn to roller skate, and although I used to be a pretty passable skater and rollerblader (thanks Mighty Ducks and Airborne lol), I’m nervous that my ligaments are going to shoot out of my knees and hips and ankles like an abandoned cartoon couch.

Ice skating is the devil. We used to have a roller rink and an ice skating rink back to back. I tried one loop around the ice skating rink, nearly cracked my ankle in half, noped out of there, got my money back and went roller skating.

20+ years later, we were on a cruise ship that had a ice skating rink. I tried again, made one loop, busted my butt, and I’m done with ice skating.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

LeeMajors posted:

have done similar with my kiddo. Roller blading was much easier to get back at and feel confident since I did that way more than ice skating. i picked up my first new pair of skates in over 2 decades and have been digging it.

ice skating i'm passable, but have lost a lot of the confidence I used to have. he did a few rounds of ice skating lessons and I think that has helped with skiing and now rollerblading.

kiimo posted:

Maybe just stay off Devil's Backbone

was moon doggie augie one of jack black's first roles? that and mighty ducks definitely kicked off a decade plus of roller blading for me and my friends.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Stretching is now part of any pre-workout routine I do. Hiking I do 2-4 miles at least once a week with a 45-50lb pack so when it's backpacking season I'm ready for it.

Running is still the worst. If I don't stretch beforehand I'm a mess.

Also any outdoor weekend ends with me soaking in an epsom salt bath when I get home.

Welcome to :corsair:.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Weirdly ice skating is the easiest of all these things for me, maybe because I've skied so much. The first time I tried ice skating it felt as natural as walking.

I kind of wish I grew up in a hockey area maybe I'd have been good

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I’m out of shape and shoveling is kicking my rear end.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

a sexual elk posted:

I’m out of shape and shoveling is kicking my rear end.

We just got 4 inches of wet snow. Even running the snow blower is a pain in the rear end with that stuff.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Thaddius the Large posted:

Totally, it was part of my PT routine a few years back rehabbing my knee, good stuff! And thankfully I’m still active enough the skiing came back pretty quick, it was just funny the disconnect between my brain being so ready and my legs not having the same easy recall for what was once second nature

Edit: on the subject of getting physically ready for stuff, I was looking ahead to this summer and hoping to get into the Enchantments in Washington, ideally backpacking if I can win an overnight permit in the lottery, otherwise I’m thinking I’ll do the one day route. 20-22 miles, big elevation but mostly within my comfort zone, the exciting bit will be Aasgard Pass, wherein you gain 2000 feet in just 1 mile. Gonna be getting really familiar with the stairmaster this spring!

I have a couple of friends who'v backpacked the Enchantments and love it. One tries to do it yearly as a "gently caress, I need to be unreachable and away from people or else I will murder" vacation. My big goal this summer is to do all the Paradise trails on Rainier and then some of the more challenging ones on towards the base. Maybe do some hiking on Mt Adams too when I drag my gf to my childhood home town since I also want to go the Maryhill Museum (and winery now??).

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I woke up early to drive a friend to the airport and I also have a doctors appointment, but between the two I had some free time. What does one do with it? Hike a dormant volcano.

View from the top overlooking the city was kinda nice.

Keep Portland Weird.

Apparently my sleep doctor's a big Star Wars fan.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Silly Burrito posted:

Ice skating is the devil. We used to have a roller rink and an ice skating rink back to back. I tried one loop around the ice skating rink, nearly cracked my ankle in half, noped out of there, got my money back and went roller skating.

20+ years later, we were on a cruise ship that had a ice skating rink. I tried again, made one loop, busted my butt, and I’m done with ice skating.

I think I went ice skating about three times as a kid, and my memory of it was that I would always have just gotten the hang of it when it was time to leave.

Also if we're talking about old people injuries, I tweaked my lower back lifting weights last night. Nothing even all that heavy. Fun!

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Images you can hear

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The Target near my house had 2 employees walk out at the beginning of their shift. Trick is they were the ones that ran the self-checkout lines so the entire store was in a mini-bedlam with long lines as other employees had to scramble & work registers.

#firstworldproblems #automation

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I have a couple of friends who'v backpacked the Enchantments and love it. One tries to do it yearly as a "gently caress, I need to be unreachable and away from people or else I will murder" vacation. My big goal this summer is to do all the Paradise trails on Rainier and then some of the more challenging ones on towards the base. Maybe do some hiking on Mt Adams too when I drag my gf to my childhood home town since I also want to go the Maryhill Museum (and winery now??).

Man I’d love to do that yearly but the permit lottery gods have not been kind. North Cascades was a great alternative and shockingly accessible, like once we got past Seattle traffic there was almost nobody around and the National Park was free! Trailheads definitely got packed by midday, but so long as you’re willing to get an early start it’s a nonissue

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

LeeMajors posted:

My mom broke her shoulder ice skating and my dad broke his elbow roller skating.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Neil Armbong posted:

Roller blading was much easier to get back at and feel confident since I did that way more than ice skating.

Inline to ice is weird because it's the same almost all of the time, but everything is just a little bit funky. Like I said upthread somewhere when we briefly talked skating the one major thing that will really mess you up is if you're going fast and try to hockey stop, because all of your weight needs to be on the exact opposite foot of what you're used to.

We're all getting older now so my method of learning by going fast and trying poo poo and falling down is probably not recommended anymore to anyone in here.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I completed ice skating lessons in December. I still can't really skate backwards and am not great at hockey stopping, but I can get around an ice rink just fine, and if I find myself falling, I know how to brace for impact better to minimize getting hurt (literal first lesson was teaching how to brace for a fall, then getting back up).

Coolest part was that after I finished it, I was able to get tickets to go skating after the winter classic was held at T-Mobile Park

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I did open skates in high school but have barely been on the ice since. I bought skates a couple years ago as my son has been playing hockey for 5 years now.

I guess we're doing a kids vs parents hockey game at the end of the season so I'm gonna get clowned by a bunch of 9 and 10 year olds.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
My gf and I live together and I guess I’ve always loaded the dishwasher. I like doing it, I like the “puzzle” and organization aspect of it.

She loaded it this time and put a small plate on the top rack and a couple cups on the bottom. Just blatant disregard of Where Things Go.

Oh no.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Joey Freshwater posted:

My gf and I live together and I guess I’ve always loaded the dishwasher. I like doing it, I like the “puzzle” and organization aspect of it.

She loaded it this time and put a small plate on the top rack and a couple cups on the bottom. Just blatant disregard of Where Things Go.

Oh no.

Our house is the same. Like you have to angle the coffee cups this way so the water drains off the top. It's just chaos when my wife does it.

Edit: I've been without power for an hour now and I'm getting really bored.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

wandler20 posted:

Our house is the same. Like you have to angle the coffee cups this way so the water drains off the top. It's just chaos when my wife does it.

Edit: I've been without power for an hour now and I'm getting really bored.

I jokingly asked her who taught her how to load a dishwasher and she said they didn’t have one growing up. Then asked me to show her how I did it. So I did and she called me a weirdo

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

Oh no.

I too handle the dish cleaning, and feel the exact same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Apropos of nothing, it seems like if a virus isn't considered a living thing, then our definition of "alive" is too narrow.