Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I’m not sure how anyone can keep up with the reality “stars” at this point. Between the large casts, pumping out new seasons, and constant spinoffs, it’s just a lot of people.

I guess that’s kind of the point of the meta shows since they let you discover new terrible people to watch their original shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I think I mainly miss making fun of how incredibly dumb Ryan Lochte was in S1. We keep making jokes that they are going to turn a corner and he is still there looking for secret passageways in the castle.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Brothers Sun is highly entertaining

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

A MIRACLE posted:

Brothers Sun is highly entertaining

Yes, but the younger brother is the WORST. Intentionally so, but man it made things difficult for me at times.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Still on The Traitors US S1. It seems weird that there are now two roundtables left but also three traitors, which basically means the faithful have no chance of winning. What's the point then?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Watching Masters of the Air now and so far it's good. I do think the show suffers from a lack of introduction to the characters though - in BoB you get to see the men bond together in boot camp and training, so by the time they get to combat they are fleshed out and their bond is already evident. In MoA they are thrown into the meat grinder almost immediately- which definitely packs a punch, but just hits differently.

The cast is outstanding as is the production itself. It's gorgeous to look at, almost too beautiful.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I really was looking forward to that I.S.S. movie because I love space poo poo and it wasn't that good. They could've done a lot more with the premise.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

ymgve posted:

Still on The Traitors US S1. It seems weird that there are now two roundtables left but also three traitors, which basically means the faithful have no chance of winning. What's the point then?

The format for the finale changes things. They keep voting until everyone left agrees they think there are no traitors left.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Brocktoon posted:

The format for the finale changes things. They keep voting until everyone left agrees they think there are no traitors left.

Season 1 US/UK/Aus finales
Interesting that the tension for the US, UK, and Aus finales were all completely different for the same mechanic. I just watched the Aus one, and it did go to the situation implied above, where there was no way the faithful could win.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Brocktoon posted:

The contestants there were so bad at the end. I guess I could call it meta-knowledge from having played Mafia quite a bit, but dudes, there are more than two traitors in a game with 20 players! You are not finished! Also Arie just said gently caress it at the slightest tinge of betrayal. You still were 2 vs 2! There was basically no downside to continuing the votes!

ymgve fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 7, 2024

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Watching Masters of the Air now and so far it's good. I do think the show suffers from a lack of introduction to the characters though - in BoB you get to see the men bond together in boot camp and training, so by the time they get to combat they are fleshed out and their bond is already evident. In MoA they are thrown into the meat grinder almost immediately- which definitely packs a punch, but just hits differently.

The cast is outstanding as is the production itself. It's gorgeous to look at, almost too beautiful.

Agreed with this, came around on it a bit more after ep3 but it still feels a bit hollow despite being very beautiful and terrifying.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

watching some alien movies today. watched Alien 3, then Resurrection, now I'm on AVP

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

A MIRACLE posted:

watching some alien movies today. watched Alien 3, then Resurrection, now I'm on AVP

Hah, I did some of those a few weeks back. I noticed that *Covenant* showed up on my laptop on Disney+ but on none of my other streaming devices, and I think it's because I have a VPN on my laptop. So if you're having trouble finding it, try a VPN. Weirdly I had it set to United States, but seriously disabling and enabling the VPN made it disappear and then reappear, so I assume that's it. Even when it was saved to my watchlist, it would just up and vanish.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
So, The Marvels is on Disney+ now. In my opinion, it's not bad, it's just lacking enough to make it something people talk about.

I should be the target market - I watched all the shows, etc., I really enjoyed Ms Marvel and as a result she and her crew are the best part of the movie to me. But the movie has so many wasted moments. All of it seems like a couple of months of reworks would have improved it.

Ultimately: Not terrible, but the MCU needs to take a breath and focus on good story instead of release schedule. Unfortunately it's literally impossible for investors / execs to understand that good movies take time and end up making more money.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Glottis posted:

So, The Marvels is on Disney+ now. In my opinion, it's not bad, it's just lacking enough to make it something people talk about.

I should be the target market - I watched all the shows, etc., I really enjoyed Ms Marvel and as a result she and her crew are the best part of the movie to me. But the movie has so many wasted moments. All of it seems like a couple of months of reworks would have improved it.

Ultimately: Not terrible, but the MCU needs to take a breath and focus on good story instead of release schedule. Unfortunately it's literally impossible for investors / execs to understand that good movies take time and end up making more money.

I thought it was cute and had some enjoyable stuff, and would have been a nice two episode mini-series follow up from Ms. Marvel, but as a full feature it was lacking. Kamala was great, honestly the best casting in the MCU in my opinion since Tony.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Glottis posted:

I don't think I've seen enough of the prereqs to watch it

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

mystes posted:

This is my biggest issue with anything Marvel right now. It's been a while since I've watched any of the movies, and now it feels like if I wanted to ever get back in, I now basically have a lot of homework to do if I hope to have any idea what is going on.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm genuinely curious if they think that making the movies so that you need to have seen 500 other marvel movies/shows first is going to make people more likely to seem them, or if they know it's going to drive people away, but they think it will somehow make up for it in revenue by laying the groundwork for more future spinoffs?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

mystes posted:

I read this as "prenups" and thought yeah, making these movies grounds for divorce seems like a good idea.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

mystes posted:

I'm genuinely curious if they think that making the movies so that you need to have seen 500 other marvel movies/shows first is going to make people more likely to seem them, or if they know it's going to drive people away, but they think it will somehow make up for it in revenue by laying the groundwork for more future spinoffs?

I think their theory was "people will watch all the prerequisite stuff when it comes out because that will sate their thirst for new Marvel and they know they'll need to see it to understand the next movie!" There's probably also an aspect of overcorrection from the Netflix shows that deliberately would not have an impact on the movies, which people complained about at the time.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Eternals was a pure standalone and no one cared about it.

Think the trick is making good movies.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

putting on the new mr n mrs smith

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

smackfu posted:

poo poo was boring af, turned it off like 20 mins in.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

That Works posted:

poo poo was boring af, turned it off like 20 mins in.

Same, and I usually watch the MCU movies just for dumb fun. It was dumb and not fun.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Papercut posted:

Same, and I usually watch the MCU movies just for dumb fun. It was dumb and not fun.

Yeah same, I don't really hate on them much, some are pretty entertaining, some just worth a watch while smoking up and never thinking about again but yeah that one no amount of drugs was going to make worth sitting there. Didn't think about it enough to say why, just was not gripping in any way. I liked some of the cast too but it wasn't worth it to hold on.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Mr n Mrs smith is cool so far. I haven’t got ads on it yet I thought prime had ads now

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

smackfu posted:

Kinda crazy how much it added to the lore of the MCU with the Celestials and the giant corpse now sticking out of the Indian Ocean and every other piece of Marvel media just ignores it (aside from a tiny article seen on a computer screen in She-Hulk).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It really just seems like the strategy that originally made them a ton of money is biting them in rear end cause people are just exhausted with marvel stuff at this point. I don’t even know if it matters if the stuff in question is good or bad anymore

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

A MIRACLE posted:

Mr n Mrs smith is cool so far. I haven’t got ads on it yet I thought prime had ads now

its like a quick 10-30 sec ad before the shows. That is all i have gotten. So it's a big jerk-off motion, really.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

veni veni veni posted:

It really just seems like the strategy that originally made them a ton of money is biting them in rear end cause people are just exhausted with marvel stuff at this point. I don’t even know if it matters if the stuff in question is good or bad anymore

That didn't even matter when it was popular lol there's not a single good Thor movie but they somehow just kept making more money

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

enigmahfc posted:

its like a quick 10-30 sec ad before the shows. That is all i have gotten. So it's a big jerk-off motion, really.

Isnt there a guy itt who would rather die than ever see a 30 second commercial play before anything, I remember when I said I only have hulu because you can get the basic version for $1/month every black Friday he acted like I'd committed a sin against man

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

That didn't even matter when it was popular lol there's not a single good Thor movie but they somehow just kept making more money

You'd be a minority when it comes to Ragnarok.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

Isnt there a guy itt who would rather die than ever see a 30 second commercial play before anything, I remember when I said I only have hulu because you can get the basic version for $1/month every black Friday he acted like I'd committed a sin against man

Whoever you're referring to is a hero, gently caress ads forever no matter how few no matter how short

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t mind ads at the beginning but ads during the thing be it a YouTube video or show wig me out.

It might be an adhd thing but it like feels like brain pressure lol. I’m relaxing and it takes me out of it lol

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

smackfu posted:

Nah, I love when movies spend a full hour introducing a huge ensemble cast

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

I don’t think it was me but im definitely of the mindset of if I am paying to watch something i am not happy to also be paying for ads. If it was a free stream or over the airwaves, whatever, thats how they get their money. If im paying for it? gently caress no

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

feedmyleg posted:

Whoever you're referring to is a hero, gently caress ads forever no matter how few no matter how short

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

It's why I got rid of my Amazon service. Down to Netflix and HBO right now, and a Disney one that my friend gave me.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
i got netflix only now. i'm almost free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Amazon was the last thing I had but now I'm not subscribed to anything.

It's kind of a shame because there was a period when netflix streaming was really great.