Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

AKA Pseudonym posted:

The commentary on his memory seems a bit gratuitous for a special counsel's report to me. Is this sort of thing typical?

The special counsel is a Republican.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

James Garfield posted:

The special counsel is a Republican.

Oh, is this about Hunter?

e: Oh it's about what TDD was saying

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 8, 2024

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah, that looks written in a very pointed or misleading way, like with the debate described as "once so important to him".
https://www.justice.gov/storage/report-from-special-counsel-robert-k-hur-february-2024.pdf
the first thing you should read is buried at page 384 of 388, which is the letter from Biden's lawyers putting things in their proper context.

apperently The voluntary interviews lasting 5 hours were on October 8 and 9, immediately after october 7th. so yeah, id be running on empty too.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 8, 2024

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh, is this about Hunter?

It's the classified documents. The special counsel is a Republican (I don't know why the justice department chose a Republican special counsel) so when he found no wrongdoing he did a partisan hit job instead.

A Meatslab
Apr 15, 2010
Wait, am I not seeing something? Is there a full transcript somewhere that gives more context to these snippets?

Of course, these sound bad, but this all rides pretty close to people's accounts of his memory back during the 2020 campaign, and I was among many people convinced it was a disqualifying factor back then as well.

In the case of Beau, someone's memory may rely on specific images and perceptions rather than memorized dates.

For a personal example, I'm in my late 20s, and remember that my grandma passed away when I was in college. I remember being in off-campus housing when I received the news, which is the primary way I roughly placed it there in my life's timeline. If you were to ask me off the cuff what year my grandma passed almost a decade ago, I wouldn't exactly place for certain whether it was 2014, 2015, or 2016 unless I'm given more time to focus and retrace more contemporaneous details in my head.

Part of this is that my brain tends to think slightly more slowly around hard numbers than qualitative perception. This read as a familiar thought process to me, at least. I wouldn't be surprised if age makes that lag worse in Biden's case.

Without a fuller picture of the whole interview, I don't think this changes my perception of him as an old dude with a job that requires him to keep track of a ton of important contemporary details at once.

How does this kill his campaign?

Edit: Ah just saw the link to the justice.gov page for context.

A Meatslab fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 8, 2024

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://www.justice.gov/storage/report-from-special-counsel-robert-k-hur-february-2024.pdf
the first thing you should read is buried at page 384 of 388, which is the letter from Biden's lawyers putting things in their proper context.

apperently The voluntary interviews lasting 5 hours were on October 8 and 9, immediately after october 7th. so i doubt he was in best shap for it.

quote:

We are pleased to see that after more than a year of investigating, you have determined that no criminal charges are warranted in this matter.

Soundbytes aside that's what, 0 for 3 for the GOP?

James Garfield posted:

It's the classified documents. The special counsel is a Republican (I don't know why the justice department chose a Republican special counsel) so when he found no wrongdoing he did a partisan hit job instead.

Yeah, with that whole thing it's pretty obvious that's what it is now.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 8, 2024

selec
Sep 6, 2003

I have a parent just starting to experience age related memory and cognitive issues, and to me it’s patently obvious Biden is going through the same—right down to videos from less than ten years ago showing a noticeably more “with-it” person, same with my Ma.

But this is going to be one where a lot of people see what they want to see. I do think there’s going to be a split among Dems who have experienced a family member going through this and those that haven’t—arguments against him being on the fade all sound like they’re telling me I can’t believe my lying eyes, but like I said, it’s colored by my own personal experiences. I would be really interested in hearing from people who have watched a close relative decline, but insist this isn’t what they’re seeing with Biden. The comparison of videos between, say, 2016 and now seems stark to me, though.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

AKA Pseudonym posted:

The commentary on his memory seems a bit gratuitous for a special counsel's report to me. Is this sort of thing typical?

No, but to be fair, those are a very small part of the report. There is some pretty wild editorializing going on that isn't common like these:

quote:

We have also considered that, at trial, Mr. Biden would likely present himself to a jury, as he did during our interview of him, as a sympathetic, well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory.

quote:

It would be difficult to convince a jury that they should convict him - by then a former president well into his eighties

quote:

His home and garage - which was unkempt and full of detritus

There's some weird non-sequitur about how nobody listened to Biden's advice in 2009:

quote:

In 2009, then-Vice President Eiden strongly opposed the military's plans to send more troops to Afghanistan. U.S. policy in Afghanistan was deeply important to Mr. Biden, and he labored to dissuade President Obama from escalating America's involvement there and repeating what Mr. Eiden believed was a mistake akin to Vietnam. Despite Mr. Biden·s advice, President Obama ordered a surge of additional U.S. troops

The main weird thing is how much personal commentary and context is in the report. 400 pages to explain why you aren't bringing charges is about 40x longer than most reports like this and there are long paragraphs where he describes Biden being "unfair" to Donald Trump and trying to imply that it was unfair to criticize Trump:

quote:

Asked about reports that former President Trump had kept classified documents at his own home, Mr. about reports that former President Trump had kept classified documents at his own home, Mr. Biden wondered how "anyone could be that irresponsible" and voiced concern about "[w]hat data was in there that may compromise sources and methods."

It sounds like the Special Counsel was trying to preemptively prevent criticism that he was going too soft on Biden by not bringing charges.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 8, 2024

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
Trump: evil genius, criminal mastermind, charge him and try to keep him off the ballot

Biden: doddering, yells at clouds, no jury would convict harmless paw-paw

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Wayne Knight posted:

Did I click the wrong thread

No we all just ironically hate comic books as avid readers and collectors.

Crass Casualty
May 9, 2004
The artist formerly known as Iron Stalin

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

No, but to be fair, those are a very small part of the report. There is some pretty wild editorializing going on that isn't common like these:

There's some weird non-sequitur about how nobody listened to Biden's advice in 2009:

The main weird thing is how much personal commentary and context is in the report. 400 pages to explain why you aren't bringing charges is about 40x longer than most reports like this and there are long paragraphs where he describes Biden being "unfair" to Donald Trump and trying to imply that it was unfair to criticize Trump:

It sounds like the Special Counsel was trying to preemptively prevent criticism that he was going too soft on Biden by not bringing charges.

Wasn't Trump also just using these documents to impress people at dinner parties? Just showing them to people he thought might think it's cool.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Trump: evil genius, criminal mastermind, charge him and try to keep him off the ballot

He's legally correct and it isn't much up for debate. They gave Trump multiple years to turn the documents over.

Pence and Biden didn't get charged because they contacted the FBI and national archives to alert them that they found classified materials and turned them in. Trump lied multiple times, moved items, and then hid them during investigations. He didn't get in trouble for taking them, he got in trouble for lying about multiple times over 2 years and refusing to give them back.

Pence and Biden also had handwritten notes about classified material, whereas Trump physically took original documents.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

He's legally correct and it isn't much up for debate. They gave Trump multiple years to turn the documents over.

Pence and Biden didn't get charged because they contacted the FBI and national archives to alert them that they found classified materials and turned them in. Trump lied multiple times, moved items, and then hid them during investigations. He didn't get in trouble for taking them, he got in trouble for lying about multiple times over 2 years and refusing to give them back.

Pence and Biden also had handwritten notes about classified material, whereas Trump physically took original documents.

And this is consistent with how cases like this are always handled. The government wants to encourage people who have classified materials to give them back, they basically only prosecute you if you try to hide them or keep them

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

yeah. i believe most of the stuff was just handwritten note books and poo poo and then he just dumped them in cabinents and poo poo in case of refresher or archives or whatever.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh sure a spider man movie *can* be amazing and great; but I no longer think we should *expect* it to be. We should expect the products of capitalistic art to be regurgitated dreck. Anything past that is a happy bonus. A good spider man movie is not a norm, it's a miracle.

Also I am not the mod of anything I am a free elf

Except Sony's batting average on good Spider-Man movies is well over 50%? I would hazard that the general consensus is that Spider-Man 1, 2, maybe ASM 1, and MCU 1, 2, and 3 are all "good to great" movies, and that's not including Across the Spider-verse (haven't seen 2 but 1 was excellent). Good Spider-Man movies are the norm. As was posted, this feels a lot like the arguments made when someone doesn't personally like a popular thing and starts contorting definitions so that "No, it's the children who are wrong".

Like, you were the moderator of the SA book forum for years, do not pretend to be confused by the idea that people simply can't get enough of the same story told slightly differently a million times, or that the near-totality of things discussed in that forum weren't some flavor of "capitalistic art".

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Linking the documents investigations to the ballot access question is pretty disingenuous. Stacking nuclear secrets next to the toilet isn't why Colorado is trying to boot Trump for treason. That's more about the part where he rallied a violent mob to try to murder Congresspeople and his Vice President until they were cowed into doing his bidding and abolishing democracy.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Linking the documents investigations to the ballot access question is pretty disingenuous. Stacking nuclear secrets next to the toilet isn't why Colorado is trying to boot Trump for treason. That's more about the part where he rallied a violent mob to try to murder Congresspeople and his Vice President until they were cowed into doing his bidding and abolishing democracy.

is that why colorado did it? because thats dumb if they did

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Crass Casualty posted:

Wasn't Trump also just using these documents to impress people at dinner parties? Just showing them to people he thought might think it's cool.

I doubt that's what was he was just doing and we don't have evidence either way.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Google Jeb Bush posted:

What, this thing that he admits was an insurrection?

https://x.com/RollingStone/status/1755687311927357696?s=20

caused by Nancy Pelosi obviously

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Linking the documents investigations to the ballot access question is pretty disingenuous. Stacking nuclear secrets next to the toilet isn't why Colorado is trying to boot Trump

Yes obvs, it was just a funny juxtaposition of the competing narratives all popping off this week.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://x.com/drewsav/status/1755720368638025970?s=46&t=A_iY-gupVf13dcIJPetZhQ

Well, the big fella is off message.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Silly Burrito posted:

What, this thing that he admits was an insurrection?

https://x.com/RollingStone/status/1755687311927357696?s=20

caused by Nancy Pelosi obviously

At this point he knows he's in the clear and just flaunting it

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Can't wait for a presidential debate between two elderly men actively sundowning on stage and wondering why someone keeps burning toast.

PeterWeller posted:

Batman may break some of my bones, but he's not gonna shoot me like some loving cop would.

Arkham Batman then M. Bison's some poor mook from fifty stories up, jumps into reverse cowgirl, and crushes the dude's testicles. But at least he's not dead.

Professor Beetus posted:

There are obviously parallels to real world issues and there are attempts to address it but it's also very clearly a comic book universe in which there are just really bad people that need to be stopped by superheroes. It's an absurd reading of the comics to hold Bruce Wayne/Batman to the same moral calculus as if the comic book universe he resides in is exactly the same as our own. It's silly.

Superman watches as Doomsday rips open a bus full of nuns adopting orphaned puppies.

Supes: maybe he just wasn't hugged enough as a child

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Tatsuta Age posted:

At this point he knows he's in the clear and just flaunting it

Nah, the tweeter is cutting off part of what he said. What he actually said is that it wasn't an insurrection, but if it was an insurrection then it was caused by Nancy Pelosi, because he said only peaceful and patriotic and nice things, and nobody brought any guns except for the Capitol Police who shot the peaceful protesters, and if any violence happened it was entirely the fault of all those violent and vicious Democrats who riled up the crowds with their mob boss behavior, and so on and on and on and on.

I was originally going to get snippy about reporters cutting poo poo out of context for soundbites, but the context is huge because he was basically just rambling aimlessly. Not bringing his best game, that's for sure.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Arkham Batman also rams dudes off the road at 80 (with or without a car of their own) and they’re fine

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

C. Everett Koop posted:

Superman watches as Doomsday rips open a bus full of nuns adopting orphaned puppies.

Supes: maybe he just wasn't hugged enough as a child

People should read/watch The Dark Knight Returns comics/animated movies. That kind of weird, out-of-place, liberal pontificating is all over it. You get soundbites from talking heads about Batman breaking a dude's leg or Gordon killing a 17 year old kid in a convenient store when the gangs are using Robocop level weaponry against them. It's kind of funny.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

It's all over. This is Hillary's email server all over again. If you're in a better position to leave the country than me, get out while you still can.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Wait, what issue did Bruce Wayne say that "This tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job."?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
the fact that the longest running manga tend to be limited to a few decades at the most, with the majority much more contained, is one reason among many that they are superior to western comics

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Zachack posted:

Except Sony's batting average on good Spider-Man movies is well over 50%? I would hazard that the general consensus is that Spider-Man 1, 2, maybe ASM 1, and MCU 1, 2, and 3 are all "good to great" movies, and that's not including Across the Spider-verse (haven't seen 2 but 1 was excellent). Good Spider-Man movies are the norm. As was posted, this feels a lot like the arguments made when someone doesn't personally like a popular thing and starts contorting definitions so that "No, it's the children who are wrong".

Marvel got uncharacteristically lucky for a long while. It's not realistic to expect them to keep that up forever.

My thinking on this was shifted recently by this thread from Matt Colville:

https://x.com/mattcolville/status/1752430176393392555?s=20

https://x.com/mattcolville/status/1752431019805045206?s=20

https://x.com/mattcolville/status/1752431599533384030?s=20

Marvel got really lucky in that they managed to put very creative talented people (Jon Favreau et al) in charge of remaking a very large body of work of other talented people (Stan Lee et al) but the well has largely run dry at this point. And that's fine. There will be other good new things in future.

I like a lot of Marvel movies plenty. I'm just not gonna let myself get upset that their quality is going downhill. It's to be expected. They're corporate media. Capitalism destroys artistic production over the short term even when it facilitates the short term. There will always be a next new thing, though.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 9, 2024

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Honestly reading it again I think that's more or less the sort of thing Hurr was trying to suggest. He talks about how Biden would "Present himself" to the jury, which seems to imply intent.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Honestly reading it again I think that's more or less the sort of thing Hurr was trying to suggest. He talks about how Biden would "Present himself" to the jury, which seems to imply intent.

No, you are correct. The problem is the WH correspondents are omitting the ‘present himself as’ part for clicks because they want this narrative.

https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1755683046915731465

https://twitter.com/AshleyRParker/status/1755686469610442789

It’s only a gift if the press continues to remove context: which they absolutely will.

Bottom line is Biden’s gonna have to do more press to dispel it

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
if only there was a nationally televised annual speech coming up

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

On one hand, the death of print media and the slow bleeding of journalism is overall not great for a lot of reasons

zoux posted:

No, you are correct. The problem is the WH correspondents are omitting the ‘present himself as’ part for clicks because they want this narrative.

https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1755683046915731465

https://twitter.com/AshleyRParker/status/1755686469610442789

It’s only a gift if the press continues to remove context: which they absolutely will.

Bottom line is Biden’s gonna have to do more press to dispel it

OTOH the current press/media are completely useless I hope they all lose their jobs

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 9, 2024

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

the fact that the longest running manga tend to be limited to a few decades at the most, with the majority much more contained, is one reason among many that they are superior to western comics

I love when Americans act like super hero comics are the only kind the West makes.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
batmans a billionaire and automatically a villain. rich people philanthropy is bullshit and bruce doesn't pay his taxes

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

OTOH the current press/media are completely useless I hope they all lose their jobs

Vote for Trump and let your wildest dreams come true.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Those are quite some opinions you have there. Would you like to back them up?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I love when Americans act like super hero comics are the only kind the West makes.

if you took the average american and asked them about the american comic series saga, versus the justice league, what do you think the response rate would be like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

People should read/watch The Dark Knight Returns comics/animated movies. That kind of weird, out-of-place, liberal pontificating is all over it. You get soundbites from talking heads about Batman breaking a dude's leg or Gordon killing a 17 year old kid in a convenient store when the gangs are using Robocop level weaponry against them. It's kind of funny.

I always remember the Justice League cartoon where Batman gets upset at Superman wanting to lobotmize Doomsday. Because no, you're supposed to arrest him. Find a prison that can hold him. Watch as he gets deemed not mentally competent to stand trial. What exactly is your counter-argument, Bruce?