Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

haveblue posted:

In the second one a subway car full of New Yorkers promise they won't tell anyone about his secret identity when Doc Ock rips his mask off during a fight

You know that poo poo would be on youtube in 30 seconds and CNN in 30 minutes

Did anyone actually know Peter Parker? But yeah, I guess no one was tempted to take a picture of his face and sell it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Raimi movies borrow a lot from early Spider-Man comics where things were more black and white morally. In those 60s comics you would be less likely to have someone trying to profit off of Spider-Man’s secret identity

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Rappaport posted:

Wouldn't the tentacles protect him?

There are New York City bricks we're talking about here.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Byzantine posted:

Tbf, it was 2004. Youtube didn't exist yet and people generally didn't walk around with cameras in their pockets.

The cell phone I bought in early 2004 was a pretty cheap model and had a camera.

But oh boy the pain of getting its postage stamp pictures off the phone and onto the internet.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Killer robot posted:

The cell phone I bought in early 2004 was a pretty cheap model and had a camera.

But oh boy the pain of getting its postage stamp pictures off the phone and onto the internet.

All you had to do was load up the photo posting site's WAP version, select the photo, and after only 15 minutes of uploading, your photo is online! Then at the end of the month you pay an extra $30 for all the bandwidth you used

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Killer robot posted:

I forget if the camera was still complete dogshit by 2004, or if it had made it all the way up to 480p.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Eric Cantonese posted:

Did anyone actually know Peter Parker? But yeah, I guess no one was tempted to take a picture of his face and sell it.

Reminds me of the Justice League episode where Luthor bodyjacked the Flash and had no idea who the secret identity was

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Byzantine posted:

Tbf, it was 2004. Youtube didn't exist yet and people generally didn't walk around with cameras in their pockets.

Presumably the movies are taking place before their release. I seem the Raimi movies as having big late 90s vibes.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Eric Cantonese posted:

part of that is because in the early days of the comics, peter is like 16 and dumb as poo poo, kids dont think rationally, of course he thinks everyone would know him instantly if he lost his mask. that means more obviously if the villian is a family friend or whatever obviously. like obviously now, someone could figure it out because internet or etc. but in the 1960s through 90s, no one would know who the gently caress he was.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 8, 2024

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Reminds me of the Justice League episode where Luthor bodyjacked the Flash and had no idea who the secret identity was

One of the funniest moments in that show's whole run

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl9LltXH6fg

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Doc Ock doesn't even wear a helmet, he could just get bricked at any time

In the early comics Spider-Man would just thump him on the head once and he was out because he was just a regular dude with metal arms. It came back later because part of the reason he was dying was because he had so much trauma from fighting this superhuman dude all the time.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Doc Ock doesn't even wear a helmet, he could just get bricked at any time

yeah. like some 1960s cop just plugs him in the head. i love that most of spidermans villians are just bank robbers with gimmicks.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Push El Burrito posted:

In the early comics Spider-Man would just thump him on the head once and he was out because he was just a regular dude with metal arms. It came back later because part of the reason he was dying was because he had so much trauma from fighting this superhuman dude all the time.

yeah. like why would you even be a regular criminal in any kinda of super hero universe. like do you think doc ock or the joker pays healthcare or even pays you well. like batmans gonna shatter my face when i shout and charge him.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Batman may break some of my bones, but he's not gonna shoot me like some loving cop would.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

PeterWeller posted:

Batman may break some of my bones, but he's not gonna shoot me like some loving cop would.

yeah, also newer batman(and even old batman) actually did stuff for the community and like gave criminals real jobs and poo poo. the "evil facist batman" poo poo is from miller. I like batman drat it. Rip Kevin conroy.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, also newer batman(and even old batman) actually did stuff for the community and like gave criminals real jobs and poo poo. the "evil facist batman" poo poo is from miller. I like batman drat it. Rip Kevin conroy.

Killer Croc tried to reform and there's a page of him being rejected from every interview possible

As someone also going through the job hunt, I get why he stayed a monster cannibal for so long

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Killer Croc tried to reform and there's a page of him being rejected from every interview possible

As someone also going through the job hunt, I get why he stayed a monster cannibal for so long

thought slime(i think) did a very good video on batman and etc. it was a nice change of pace to the same lazy arguments.

yeah thats shits bullshit. the company my mom worked for imploded because they trusted walmart and other big box stores. she ended up on her feet because of work connections but she was on workers comp for a month and had to do all the song and dance job search bullshit even when she doesnt need to anymore. gently caress that poo poo.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Every moment Bruce spent playing around in costume instead of funding social programs with his wealth is indulgent and wasted, and even "good" versions of batman beat up criminals and henchmen who are much more likely to be minorities and in poverty, just so he could get a hardon or whatever.

ACAB includes Batman.

Also he was still a multibillionaire, so he wasn't doing enough good.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Not every comic book for children is going to pass moral muster under every ideological framework.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Jaxyon posted:

Every moment Bruce spent playing around in costume instead of funding social programs with his wealth is indulgent and wasted, and even "good" versions of batman beat up criminals and henchmen who are much more likely to be minorities and in poverty, just so he could get a hardon or whatever.

ACAB includes Batman.

Joker just stops in the middle of a massacre because Bruce Wayne sent him a stimulus check.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Push El Burrito posted:

Joker just stops in the middle of a massacre because Bruce Wayne sent him a stimulus check.

There's only a few supervillains and honestly they only exist in the comic to justify Bruce's proclivities.

The vast majority of people he's beating the poo poo out of would probably benefit from social programs.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

ACAB includes Batman.

... isn't this literally the basis of Jack Naper's argument in White Knight?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
All Capes Are Bastards?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Jaxyon posted:

ACAB includes Batman.

There are obviously parallels to real world issues and there are attempts to address it but it's also very clearly a comic book universe in which there are just really bad people that need to be stopped by superheroes. It's an absurd reading of the comics to hold Bruce Wayne/Batman to the same moral calculus as if the comic book universe he resides in is exactly the same as our own. It's silly.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Professor Beetus posted:

There are obviously parallels to real world issues and there are attempts to address it but it's also very clearly a comic book universe in which there are just really bad people that need to be stopped by superheroes. It's an absurd reading of the comics to hold Bruce Wayne/Batman to the same moral calculus as if the comic book universe he resides in is exactly the same as our own. It's silly.

this.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jaxyon posted:

ACAB includes Batman.

He's the kind of rich where he doesn't personally fund poo poo, he tells his people to set up and run programs. There's no trade off where every minute spent philanthopizing comes at the cost of a minute of Batmaning, or vice versa. Plus he's a near perfect genius who can totally set up the proper people and funding.

Besides in a world with Superman, Firestorm, sundry other super powers, magic, and super tech, Bruce Wayne is way down on the list of guys not fully utilizing their assets to fix the world. Batman is poo poo in full isolation, but within the larger universe he's kind of not bad.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
im pretty sure most of the Batman is bad stuff is all college students and early 20something nerds having baby's first serious analysis.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

The comics have often implied that Bruce does fund social programs. It's just that comics rarely focus on that because funding a non-profit doesn't make for an action packed narrative. It's also a flaw of the serial medium that Batman can never fully fix Gotham/society, through violent or non-violent means, because that would end the comic.

Edit: That's not to say that you can't or shouldn't criticize the comics through a political lens. But the focus should be on how the narrative is told and how it relates to broader society, not whether this impossibly rich, smart, and athletic fictional character would be ethical in the real world.

glitchwraith fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 8, 2024

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Gyges posted:

Besides in a world with Superman, Firestorm, sundry other super powers, magic, and super tech, Bruce Wayne is way down on the list of guys not fully utilizing their assets to fix the world. Batman is poo poo in full isolation, but within the larger universe he's kind of not bad.

"Ahem, and what do you expect Superman to do on a JOURNALISTS salary? Especially for a dying newspaper?"
:goonsay:

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Push El Burrito posted:

Joker trying to stage some grandiose heist or attack and it all grinding to a halt because he can't get henchmen, what with all of his old crews being in decent jobs or school programs, would be a fun little story.

"What do you MEAN, wearing clown makeup and being punched by an expert in human pain for 7 bucks/hour is no longer good enough, Jake? I got you started in this industry, you ungrateful moocher!"

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
No one wants to fight Batman anymore they all drive for Uber.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Randalor posted:

"Ahem, and what do you expect Superman to do on a JOURNALISTS salary? Especially for a dying newspaper?"
:goonsay:

he could move his arms around in a circle really fast and at the specific and precise frequency of 60 htz.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Batman doesn't want to cure crime. He wants revenge on criminals for his parent's death. He's a bad person doing insane things. Also it is his fault that criminals keep getting released because he keeps loving up evidence with his vigilante bullshit

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 8, 2024

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sephyr posted:

Joker trying to stage some grandiose heist or attack and it all grinding to a halt because he can't get henchmen, what with all of his old crews being in decent jobs or school programs, would be a fun little story.

"What do you MEAN, wearing clown makeup and being punched by an expert in human pain for 7 bucks/hour is no longer good enough, Jake? I got you started in this industry, you ungrateful moocher!"

The cops dont shoot joker because he is white.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

glitchwraith posted:

The comics have often implied that Bruce does fund social programs. It's just that comics rarely focus on that because funding a non-profit doesn't make for an action packed narrative. It's also a flaw of the serial medium that Batman can never fully fix Gotham/society, through violent or non-violent means, because that would end the comic.

Edit: That's not to say that you can't or shouldn't criticize the comics through a political lens. But the focus should be on how the narrative is told and how it relates to broader society, not whether this impossibly rich, smart, and athletic fictional character would be ethical in the real world.

Nah, they could fix Gotham and still have stories. Batman is in almost as many places at once as Wolverine anyway. But they're in the same situation as Marvel where all stories must be in a constant boomerang between new changes and flipping back to the status quo.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That's just the nature of comic books existing at the intersection of art and business. If you want to make a permanent change to the universe, or reach a moral conclusion that forecloses future storytelling, you can always do a limited series outside of continuity

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Gyges posted:

Nah, they could fix Gotham and still have stories. Batman is in almost as many places at once as Wolverine anyway. But they're in the same situation as Marvel where all stories must be in a constant boomerang between new changes and flipping back to the status quo.

Ok, I'll bite. Gotham's corruption has been rooted out. Effective social programs have made poverty and major crimes rare to non-existent, and all super villains have been cured, reformed, or at least humanely separated from society. Gotham is in all senses of the word "fixed". What story do you tell now?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

glitchwraith posted:

Ok, I'll bite. Gotham's corruption has been rooted out. Effective social programs have made poverty and major crimes rare to non-existent, and all super villains have been cured, reformed, or at least humanely separated from society. Gotham is in all senses of the word "fixed". What story do you tell now?

Batman and Catwoman cutting up Gotham's nightscene on powerdates, Bruce helping the Robins start their careers in other cities, the reformed crims catching up over a game of poker or catan. C'mon man use your own imagination, don't beg us to use yours for you.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

glitchwraith posted:

Batman is also fighting intergalactic aliens, working with the Justice League, running one or more international teams, showing up in other cities, and sometimes running a global network of Batmen. Plus Gotham doesn't need to be a Utopia to be fixed, just upgraded from crumbling hellhole to maybe regular Superhero city. Flash's city isn't a hopeless pit of corruption after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Gyges posted:

A broader view of this is that mainstream supers as a genre inherently requires the heroes to be serving the status quo because it's set in a world that roughly reflects the here and now and will be expected to still be in publication ten years from now and reflecting the "here and now" of 2034. Anti-gang superheroes can never really eliminate organized crime, science heroes can never bring their wonderous inventions to mass production, anti-authoritarian heroes can never really overthrow the corrupt systems they struggle against. Instead you have to have small victories over the threat of the day, or just stopping things from getting worse. Fortunately, good writers manage to sell that as still taking heroic efforts and justifying the heroes.

There's also the related dilemma that traditionally supers are special people who are just better than everyone else in some way and act with even less accountability than real-world cops. It's really easy to make it super fascist, particularly if you don't take pains to wallpaper it with just how strong the hero's moral code and progressive values are.

Batman is an intersection of both of these, and with the added complication that he's had as many different writers, alternate interpretations, and adaptations into other media as any other superhero. Batman exists in a whole lot of diffiller "pretty drat fascist actually" to full on Adam West "Gotham's not that bad except for gimmick villains and revolving door prisons." In between there are various weights of "he's a broken person whose main struggle is not to be another Arkham supervillain case, but does what good he can within that framework" to "Doing a lot more positive stuff behind the Batman act than even many fellow heroes understand." and how much of each depends on the writer.