Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Largest minority in the country. And for a long time now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Anne Frank Funk posted:

The age of Polish vikings: 900-1350, and now 2003-present

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I may have already posted about this, but I'm acquainted with one of the actors who played a miner in the X-Men movie which shows Eric Magnus's childhood in Poland. Everyone was curious as to why they speak in Russian accents. Were the other actors Russian?

Apparently not. They were pretty much all Polish, Polish-American, or Polish-Canadian. It's just that when they showed up and started speaking the unit director or what have you said it doesn't sound sinisterly eastern European enough and to speak Polish with a Hollywood-style Russian accent.

It's terrible. Not because it's racist. Because I think our language does sound sinister when you apply the proper spin or say the proper words.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Bright Bart posted:

I may have already posted about this, but I'm acquainted with one of the actors who played a miner in the X-Men movie which shows Eric Magnus's childhood in Poland. Everyone was curious as to why they speak in Russian accents. Were the other actors Russian?

Apparently not. They were pretty much all Polish, Polish-American, or Polish-Canadian. It's just that when they showed up and started speaking the unit director or what have you said it doesn't sound sinisterly eastern European enough and to speak Polish with a Hollywood-style Russian accent.

It's terrible. Not because it's racist. Because I think our language does sound sinister when you apply the proper spin or say the proper words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXxGxvB3_Gw

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Mokotow posted:

Polish people apparently love to emigrate there for work.

Polish people love to emigrate there for the lack of an extradition treaty.

Well, at least used to, the EU eventually took care of this.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 6, 2024

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Mokotow posted:

Nice Polish touch in True Detective episode 4 - there's graffiti on a wall spelling CHWDP, which is like ACAB only more vulgar.

While it might seem it's unlikely a Pole of the CHWDP wall-writing variety would make it to the far north of Alaska, the series was actually filmed in Reykjavík and Polish people apparently love to emigrate there for work.

REAL Poles spell it HWDP

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Yes, we’re not sending our best…

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Mokotow posted:

Nice Polish touch in True Detective episode 4 - there's graffiti on a wall spelling CHWDP, which is like ACAB only more vulgar.

While it might seem it's unlikely a Pole of the CHWDP wall-writing variety would make it to the far north of Alaska, the series was actually filmed in Reykjavík and Polish people apparently love to emigrate there for work.

idk, alaska ends up with a lot of alien immigrants because there's a chronic labor shortage there and it's a cool exotic place to visit. our waitstaff ended up being serb and thai

having the EU means poles have a lot of easier options for working abroad though

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Anne Frank Funk posted:

One of my favorite facts about the world is that most aluminum is mined from china and australia, shipped to iceland where it's refined by a mostly important polish labour force, then shipped to SE asia to be turned into cans airplane parts or siding or whatever.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Great start to the Sejm sitting - the two excluded PiS ex-parliamentarians tried to force their way into the Sejm building, fielded by PiS politicians. A brawl erupted with the Sejm guards. The first Sejm session is about to kick off so we’ll see how it goes.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Well, this was a smashing success. Pictured, PiS member and Smolensk commission chair Antoni Macierewicz socking one by accident to his comrade ex-Sejm member Kaminski. Macierewicz was behind Kaminski and pushing him forward as they tried to force the Sejm guard and get Kaminski into the Sejm, but he slipped and welp. It has to be noted both Kaminski and Wasik can go into the Sejm at any point as ex-parliamentarians, just not through the main door - they need to get a day pass first. Kaczynski later admitted this was all played up for the media to get pictures, though I'm not sure this is the way they planned it.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Good morning to Poland and Poland specifically — today is the most beautiful holiday of all

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

The gooniest of holidays

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_Thursday?wprov=sfti1

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
if you don't eat 3 then god gets mad at you

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm in Barcelona now and apparently, besides tractor protests and water wars shortages, they also have a Fat Thursday today. It's not a thing back home but I've experienced it in Poland, curious what it looks like here.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
... Isn't it a Catholic thing?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I'm at 4, and not feeling too well.. I have disgraced my ancestors.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

OddObserver posted:

... Isn't it a Catholic thing?

Fat Thursday itself is, but the having pączki part is fairly Poland specific. I live in Chicago, and we have a "Paczki Day" here, but it's next Tuesday to coincide with Mardi Gras.

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006
For Slovenes today is a national holiday, where we celebrate the day the great poet who wrote our national anthem drank himself to death.

TearsOfPirates
Jun 11, 2016

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes! - Idiot of idiots, to trust what is written!

Pajser posted:

For Slovenes today is a national holiday, where we celebrate the day the great poet who wrote our national anthem drank himself to death.

At this point the whole country is going to drank itself to death.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I mean, this is the way of Eastern Europe

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I haven't had so much as a beer in coming on two years now, does this mean

A. I am not a real E. European

B. I am but therefore will never die

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
In Finland it's this Sunday and next Tuesday when we eat these guys

this Monday was also the remembrance day of our national poet, celebrated by eating his namesake pastry

so let's just say that it's a very calorie rich week

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I love love a Finn comfortable enough in their own skin to contribute to Eastern Europe talk. Same goes for an East German. Technically the former is Northern and the latter is Central like most of us here. But who are we kidding if West and East are the only options?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Finland was once part of Poland and another time part of Russia, so it has to be honorary eastern european at the very least!

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Nenonen posted:

Finland was once part of Poland

That explains why i always felt a sort of kinship with the Finns

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

armpit_enjoyer posted:

That explains why i always felt a sort of kinship with the Finns

You know I always thought that only the Irish could really understand what it feels like to be Polish and all the baggage we still live with to this day, but now that you mention it we could make a three member club with Finland. Also a separate club with Poland, Finland, Lithuania, Slovenia and maybe Czechia in terms of countries that don't really fit into any one box.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

My favourite author is Stanislaw Lem. We can be friends, I think :unsmith:

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

EE thread I need help. I am definitely a cereal > oatmeal person when it comes to breakfast. But I stopped with these products entirely largely because rye flakes, which were my favourite, disappeared from the shelves. I figured it was just changing tastes as people switched to corn flakes with even more sugar in them but apparently there was contamination and recalls a few years back?

I've looked at crunchy muesli chunks with some fruit thrown in. It's a bit expensive but doable. Still the sugar content is as high as just eating cookies. There are some clear bags without added sugar but they go for like 30 zł for 350 g which is an exorbitant markup for not adding sugar.

Any ideas?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Rappaport posted:

My favourite author is Stanislaw Lem. We can be friends, I think :unsmith:

One of us one of us

Bright Bart posted:

EE thread I need help. I am definitely a cereal > oatmeal person when it comes to breakfast. But I stopped with these products entirely largely because rye flakes, which were my favourite, disappeared from the shelves. I figured it was just changing tastes as people switched to corn flakes with even more sugar in them but apparently there was contamination and recalls a few years back?

I've looked at crunchy muesli chunks with some fruit thrown in. It's a bit expensive but doable. Still the sugar content is as high as just eating cookies. There are some clear bags without added sugar but they go for like 30 zł for 350 g which is an exorbitant markup for not adding sugar.

Any ideas?

Have a nice jajecznica with smażona kiełbasa, geez. (Also a heart attack by 50)

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 8, 2024

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

Bright Bart posted:

I love love a Finn comfortable enough in their own skin to contribute to Eastern Europe talk. Same goes for an East German. Technically the former is Northern and the latter is Central like most of us here. But who are we kidding if West and East are the only options?

Finns are honorary eastern europeans by legacy. There used to be 4 Baltic states after the WWI. Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia and Finland. But keeping with the eastern european tradition Finland decided to migrate away from being a Baltic state.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Bright Bart posted:

Any ideas?

I ended up looking through a bunch of muesli packaging until I found some that wasn't loaded up with sugar. It's still 4 eur and a bit for 400g but oh well.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Bright Bart posted:

Any ideas?

Schengen geht Brumm (you can change region in the top right):

https://www.koro-shop.pl/organiczne-platki-4-zboza-2-5-kg (barley, oats, wheat, rye)
https://www.koro-shop.pl/organiczna-baza-do-musli-z-nasionami-2-kg (a good mix)
https://www.koro-shop.pl/organiczna-chrupiaca-granola-z-orzechami-1-kg (crunchy)

Pure Rye flakes are out, though. I have never seen pure rye flakes being sold anywhere.

I buy in bulk and it lasts a very long time. The only problem is that they often go out of stock for a while, so you have to watch them like a hawk sometimes.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Rye flakes are "razene pahuljice" in Croatian and I don't have problems finding them:

https://www.biobio.hr/razene-pahuljice-proizvod-16972/
https://www.healthyfoodfactory.eu/rye-flakes-organic-500g-eko-jazo-product-7346/?ignore_lang_detect=1

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Now that I'm looking for them I am finding some as well.

https://www.muesli-muehle.de/Trockenfruechte-Nuesse-und-Cerealien/Kernige-Getreide-Flocken/Bio-Roggenflocken::173.html

4.36€/kg isn't too bad.

e: 15.9€ for delivery to a neighbouring country is taking the piss a little.

Anyway, I've found that physical stores are garbage even for something as trivial as Müsli nowadays. Order online in bulk, save yourself the hassle.

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Feb 9, 2024

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I always have oatmeal because it's stupid cheap and filling, but rye flakes are indeed amazing.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Nenonen posted:

Finland was once part of Poland and another time part of Russia, so it has to be honorary eastern european at the very least!

I'm pretty sure Finland was never part of Poland. Latvia and part of Estonia were, but not Finland.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Guildencrantz posted:

I'm pretty sure Finland was never part of Poland. Latvia and part of Estonia were, but not Finland.

We will always have the 1590s...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish%E2%80%93Swedish_union

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Bright Bart posted:

I was born in East Germany but have lived in the Western part of Germany most of my life now, do I get to post here, too?

I need to lose some pounds, so I started with the oatmeal again, and it's always a pleasant surprise that you have so many options to make it taste great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Finland has a historical connection to Eesti, but I suppose that has soured a little bit due to our alcoholic tourism.