Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I read it and thank you for posting it since I ain't paying for FT

it's basically the sequel to the article that spawned this thread

thank you for your service

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Is there a tiktok that summarizes this

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
to summarize it goes in to the 4 reasons for enshittification (lack of: competition, regulation, user ability to de-enshittify i.e. ad blockers, and worker power)

and then says well maybe the first two are getting better kind of because the ftc and EU are occasionally trying a tiny bit for the first time in decades

fart

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
work is sending me to vegas for a conference next month, tell me more about all the parks full of natural beauty and wonder within driving distance and please dont tell me theyve been shitted up too

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

dreezy posted:

work is sending me to vegas for a conference next month, tell me more about all the parks full of natural beauty and wonder within driving distance and please dont tell me theyve been shitted up too

If you are gonna go to any, go to Zion. Idk if it’s been shitted up

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Cory Doctorow owns, and his books are good. I hope he doesn't get enshittified

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lol a tale of two mods.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

AARD VARKMAN posted:

to summarize it goes in to the 4 reasons for enshittification (lack of: competition, regulation, user ability to de-enshittify i.e. ad blockers, and worker power)

and then says well maybe the first two are getting better kind of because the ftc and EU are occasionally trying a tiny bit for the first time in decades

fart

shorter

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

holy gently caress thanks for the gigantic news posts with no links that i absolutely will not be reading

yep, wtf.

here's the link: https://www.ft.com/content/6fb1602d-a08b-4a8c-bac0-047b7d64aba5

No paywall for me (ffox + bypass paywalls clean), suck it financial times

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

fart

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

If you are gonna go to any, go to Zion. Idk if it’s been shitted up

thats the one i heard HAD been shitted up in that its so popular that you need reservations now but goddamn i do wanna go

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
IOT is nothing but enshittification.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
These things were always just a way for a company to charge you rent on a toothbrush.

Hang on can't brush my teeth because it's getting an update. Oh wait now I have to factory reset it because that was a bad update that they rolled back and they're sorry. Oh wait this week's patch implemented a subscription plan. Oh wait the toothbrush is now mining bitcoins and hosting CSAM (on the blockchain)

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
that story is actually entirely made up fwiw (literally did not happen)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

TotalLossBrain posted:

IOT is nothing but enshittification.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2024/02/viral-news-story-of-botnet-with-3-million-toothbrushes-was-too-good-to-be-true/

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
But it's plausible :D

My posts have gotten shittier for no reason. Or have they?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

dreezy posted:

Zion is everything you've heard it is and more. They didn't have reservations going when I was there in March last year, but it’s better to check anyways. Get there as early as possible, take the shuttle bus all the way to the end, and then leisurely hike and shuttle bus your way back. The shuttle upcanyon will be crowded but coming back you should have it all to yourself.

As others have said, Valley of Fire is way closer and nothing to sneeze at. The Grand Canyon's also within striking distance if you've got an abundance of free time.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Depending on how much time you have, Bryce when it is still a little snowy is also incredible and the drive ain’t nothing to sneeze at either

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I had a better time at Bryce than Zion, but they're in spitting distance of each other.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I basically just stopped doing things because of Ticketmaster.

:same:

I can't give those fuckers money. I had a horrible time trying to get their poo poo to even work on my phone (no physical tickets) at a concert where 15,000 people were using a single cell tower all at once. Took about a half hour to get a signal just to be able to get to the seat I payed for. $500 for two tickets to see Rage Against the Machine. Like $60 of that was a "convenience fee." Oh gently caress you.

I just won't do anything if they're involved anymore. They can burn in hell. :shrug:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

skooma512 posted:

These things were always just a way for a company to charge you rent on a toothbrush.

Hang on can't brush my teeth because it's getting an update. Oh wait now I have to factory reset it because that was a bad update that they rolled back and they're sorry. Oh wait this week's patch implemented a subscription plan. Oh wait the toothbrush is now mining bitcoins and hosting CSAM (on the blockchain)

There is a Cory Doctorow short story basically about this, where poor people get cheaper apartments in exchange for all the furnishings being provided by "smart" appliances that charge you a little bit per use. The protagonist learns how to jailbreak appliances and starts doing it for her neighbors but they all run the risk of huge penalties if caught.

Very similar to his section in the recent "enshittocene" article about adversarial interoperability and how tech companies are abusing IP law to enforce their monopolies.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

credburn posted:

I don't know if it's all CostCos, but -- I haven't been in one in a decade, but I got a membership recently -- what happened to the BULK? That's the entire point of CostCo. The person who sold me the membership was talking about how they're only like 20% bulk now, as if that's a good thing? Wandering around CostCo now, it's just like being in a huge department store with the same limited selection but now in normal portions and containers, and the entire place reeks of hotdogs. Why did I get a fuckin membership? This place sucks.

You can't leave us hanging, what's the location?

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

:same:

I can't give those fuckers money. I had a horrible time trying to get their poo poo to even work on my phone (no physical tickets) at a concert where 15,000 people were using a single cell tower all at once. Took about a half hour to get a signal just to be able to get to the seat I payed for. $500 for two tickets to see Rage Against the Machine. Like $60 of that was a "convenience fee." Oh gently caress you.

I just won't do anything if they're involved anymore. They can burn in hell. :shrug:

lol it owns that rage against the machine tickets cost $250 now

Take the power back!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Seph posted:

lol it owns that rage against the machine tickets cost $250 now

Take the power back!

It was maybe 2 years ago or whenever they started touring again. It was my first major concert in like 20 years.

Never again. :smith:

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I took my gf and her friend to the eras tour and that was a whole nightmare

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I took my gf and her friend to the eras tour and that was a whole nightmare

How much was it?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

How much was it?

$1500 for 3 people because our friend got into the presale. A friend of ours and her husband decided to come with us last minute and paid $2800 for theirs

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

$1500 for 3 people because our friend got into the presale. A friend of ours and her husband decided to come with us last minute and paid $2800 for theirs

2800 bucks could fund a trip to Europe for more than a week, including airfare.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Goddamn!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
For $2800 you could spend months hiding out in a shack on the edge of the desert, living off distilled water and cornmeal, pooping in an old bucket

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

The friend who paid $2800 is a dermatologist and makes like half a mil a year so I don’t think she’s going to miss out on Europe but it’s pretty expensive yeah

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
It's crazy that they haven't split Ticketmaster into 10 different companies at this point.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Fuckin' A.

I paid maybe $20 to see Foo Fighters (and meet them) in like 1997 at Summerfest in Milwaukee. I saw a few big bands for the same price! In fact, the fee just gets you in the door. Metallica could be playing on another stage at the same time!

gently caress Ticketmaster soooooooooo hard.

edit: I found the lineup for the day I was there. Not the best but Summerfest used to go on for like a week

https://www.setlist.fm/festival/1997/summerfest-1997-3d6addb.html

quote:

Saturday, July 5, 1997
Best Buy Rock Stage, Milwaukee, WI
Collective Soul
Pet Engine
The Good

Henry W. Maier Festival Park, Milwaukee, WI
Foo Fighters
The Jayhawks
Widespread Panic

Leinie Lodge, Milwaukee, WI
Old 97’s
Sister Hazel

Marcus Amphitheater, Milwaukee, WI
Blackstreet

edit: I just looked up ticket prices for 2024 and it's $28. I probably paid less back then.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 8, 2024

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
costco is very much a bulk store near me ... that seems weird that there would be one that's 80% normal items

(and it rules btw - the only way it's gotten shittier is they removed some items from the food court since covid)

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Combo pizza :negative:

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Wtf

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
No music or celebrity is worth that much to me. That's just insane.

The $250 for Rage was disgusting as gently caress and turned me off of it for the rest of my life. wtf is wrong with people willing to fork out that much money for a couple of hours of entertainment? Not to mention the hassle of getting there. The line to get into Rage was about 2 miles long on the roads with cops having to direct traffic. We missed Run the Jewels because it took like 2 hours just to get to the gate. $1,500? That's a few months of car payments. what in god's name? I'd pay that much maybe to play on stage with my favorite band at a big rock concert. Like replace one of them and perform.

And bands play for like 45 minutes. I'm aware that big pop stars put on a "show" that might be 2 hours or so. Still just..... I don't get it. I really don't.

This poo poo is insane. I had no idea it was this ruined. And people will still pay it and push the prices up higher and higher. I wonder how many swifties take out loans for a loving concert ticket.

edit: now I'm angry. Sorry. :mad:

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Philthy posted:

It's crazy that they haven't split Ticketmaster into 10 different companies at this point.

it's not so crazy when you consider the us government is completely beholden to corporate interests and ticketmaster would go out of business (good riddance) if they couldnt print money via junk fees