Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

balloonghazi ain't goin away

https://old.reddit.com/r/UFOs/comments/1altdai/source_confirms_to_ross_coulthart_that_the_alaska/

also i am in no way strongly interpreting that the dot happens to be super blue right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Still really feels like Biden shot down a research craft or diplomatic vessel and got us into crazy hot water

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

concerning. i always thought this painting depicted two demons showing each other their cool Synthi A synthesizers.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

do not strongly interpret the late medieval demon rear end

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

flubber nuts posted:

concerning. i always thought this painting depicted two demons showing each other their cool Synthi A synthesizers.

twoday has a twin?

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

demonholeogy

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Malleass Maleficarum

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Or maybe Malleus Maleficanus even

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
lol the people on that bridge are fuckin stylish as gently caress
meanwhile the pope is real "pff idk man, somethin seems off about this guy. better commence to bless just in case"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Abnett used “drishti” twice in his big book he jsut put out and I know that boy is doing yoga

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Writing a sigil in midnair and then using it like a buzz saw, just like the ancient scriptures discussed.

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

ArmedZombie posted:

twoday has a twin?

tell his twin to send me my drat book

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it turned out “Sigilite” just meant “guy who was really into sigils”. huh

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Psst hey, hey pope

Wanna buy some...heresies?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

sharknado slashfic posted:

I would die for Chris Wraight

Wraight's best 40k work absolutely can go toe to toe with any sci fi novels that are considered classics. It's insane that work that good is being written for genre 40k novels but I love it. Lords of Silence is one of my favorite books period.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

watched steve-o's interview of Corbell. good Lord he does a lot of ad reads. it reminds me of watching reruns on TBS in the 90s

inchworm
Jun 23, 2023
jackass 5 is disclosure

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

inchworm posted:

jackass 5 is disclosure

hey i'm steve-o and this is getting abducted *wee man runs out in an alien mask brandishing a dildo*

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

why is warhammer 40k being talked about everywhere these days it seems? Has the timeline changed that much ever since we got our Fruit of the Loom cornucopia back?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Bilirubin posted:

why is warhammer 40k being talked about everywhere these days it seems? Has the timeline changed that much ever since we got our Fruit of the Loom cornucopia back?

It's been steadily increasing in popularity every year and more people are discovering it from social media lore videos as well as people talking about it's relation to stuff like Dune. Also Henry Cavill is a super fan and talks about it in his interviews a lot. They've also finally started putting out some pretty decent videogames. It also got a lot of press coverage in the past few years when they finally moved the setting forward and brought back Guilliman and other primarchs. Also the Heresy series is finally ending and that brought a lot of coverage as well. Amazon has started production on a 40k TV show with Cavill as the lead executive producer.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Honestly if you were ever into 40k but haven't paid attention in a long time there have been some really great books put out in the last 5-7 years that are definitely worth reading. They've brought in and built up a lot of good authors. They still put out some dogshit books but the best ones are excellent.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

40k lore is forbidden in this thread. there will be no further 40k posts in this place.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16Mq7q5797E

:sickos:

Tl;dr

Seems China is also getting in on this technique and these types of decay sail probes could be the most powerful engines ever developed, reaching Pluto in a couple years instead of decades. A side bonus is they produce electricity as well. If they get development any part of the solar system could be in reach with some ease, including future 'Omuamua type objects.

Drawbacks is they are still too slow and fragile to make it to Proxima, and probably would not be able to handle the payload required for crewed missions. I assume you'd have to make it "big as gently caress" and that's so loving big... they don't turn off. You could maybe develop some clever way to fold it up and get an OK energy generator when you don't want thrust, but drat

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

An empire run by a cabal of psychotics fronted by a corpse, that knows only war, and nothing can ever get better resonates with many.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Art imitates life after all.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

GW is also making a concerted effort to push back on the hypermasculine imperial Roman fantasy poo poo that a lot of middle aged mediocre white guys latched onto. It's not a ton but there's like, black space marines and the Sisters of Silence are getting a lot more attention as well and are quite badass. Basically it's making a lot of the poo poo tier Youtube commentator guys mad so you know they're doing something right.

Guilliman comes back and is like "what in the everliving gently caress have you people been doing there's nothing good about being space Rome you idiots"

Anyways aliens

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SniperWoreConverse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16Mq7q5797E

:sickos:

Tl;dr

Seems China is also getting in on this technique and these types of decay sail probes could be the most powerful engines ever developed, reaching Pluto in a couple years instead of decades. A side bonus is they produce electricity as well. If they get development any part of the solar system could be in reach with some ease, including future 'Omuamua type objects.

Drawbacks is they are still too slow and fragile to make it to Proxima, and probably would not be able to handle the payload required for crewed missions. I assume you'd have to make it "big as gently caress" and that's so loving big... they don't turn off. You could maybe develop some clever way to fold it up and get an OK energy generator when you don't want thrust, but drat

Surely you could just fold it in half and have one side cancel the thrust of the other side

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Spergin Morlock posted:

watched steve-o's interview of Corbell. good Lord he does a lot of ad reads. it reminds me of watching reruns on TBS in the 90s

sponsorblock is great for the more popular channels

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Slavvy posted:

Surely you could just fold it in half and have one side cancel the thrust of the other side

Dunno. Each panel always produces some small but constant thrust and the probe needs to be as light as possible to take advantage of that, which means if you close the sail after it opens from the launch tube it might just blow back open and rip to shreds. It's the size of a tennis court and the thickness of mylar or whatever, right?

Probably I should check out the actual drat paper

020824_4
Feb 9, 2024

Brain Curry posted:

sponsorblock is great for the more popular channels

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Squizzle posted:

40k lore is forbidden in this thread. there will be no further 40k posts in this place.

Who invited the fun arbites?

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Nichael posted:

Hello aitee enthusiasts.

Can anyone help me get a belated birthday gift for a friend who's been going through a lot lately? In part, the gift is belated because I was helping her with her stuff, so things on my to-do lists fell by the wayside.

She likes aliens, anime, and I'd say pseudo-science "woo" (but probably not full woo). She likes books a lot. Any suggestions on that front?

Would these books be appropriate? Are they any good? https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Andrew+Gallimore&crid=2TJNASK3VC0VL&sprefix=%2Caps%2C568&ref=nb_sb_noss_2
I haven't read that particular author, but if your friend has been going through a lot, I believe information about psychedelics/entheogens like DMT could be very helpful, so these books might be good! Probably plenty of pseudo-science and maybe a little talk of aliens or other nonhuman beings. Since Salvia Divinorum was mentioned in the description, that reminded me of another book I've been reading recently specific to that plant: Sage Spirit: Salvia Divinorum and the Entheogenic Experience by Martin Ball. I haven't finished it yet so I don't know if it's a 100% recommendation for what your friend is looking for yet, but I do like it so far. It's part practical guidance/background, and part journals of personal experiences, and like Salvia herself can be, it is fairly direct and short. Little more than 100 pages, about half of which seems to be the stories. Also, the page I left off on feels synchronistic to me. Synchronistic in some amusing ways, and in some more serious thread-relevant ways, so I'll post it here for everybody else too.

quote:

Terror and Healing
Two days after 9/11

[after giving his friend Mark a couple bowls, but him not seeming to feel much at first.]

I prayed and meditated my way into the Saging, the Wind blowing softly through me. Behind closed eyelids the Spirit presented a rush of subtle images and physical sensations. Though the order is somewhat difficult to reconstruct, one of the first impressions in my mind was Mark remarking how the energy felt and asking if it was him or the Sage. I saw, through the feeling in my own body, that the flow was the Sage but that the energy, the power, was Mark's, and that he could direct it with his intention. As for myself, the power filled my entire being, which was greatly enhanced by prayer and concentration. There was no part of my being that was not filled with the Saging (which seems to be in contrast to Mark's experience where he's feeling more constricted and cut off from the full manifestation of the experience).

When I opened my eyes to take my additional hits, the Sage subtly shifted to lower intensities that could be renewed by closing my eyes and refocusing on the inner experience of the Sage.

After the second and third hit my mind shifted away from thinking about Mark to other dimensions, The colors before my eyes and the shapes continually shifted in a shamanic dream-flux of organic, and somewhat alien, images, textures, and scenes. My own shape shifted and transformed with the subtle flow of the Spirit as It traveled. I stood on the edge of a cliff, overlooking a vast forest with a river and mountains, sky and clouds. My shoulders arched over as I called to the Eagle and transformed and took flight, soaring through the air above the vast scene below. Then all turned green and I was enveloped in emerald green power-substance. The Sage pushed as it surrounded me and lifted me up from the ground of this shamanic/alien/organic space.

And then the scene shifts. All is red and orange. There seem to be temples, like Aztec and Mayan pyramids. The sunlight streams down in golden light. There are others here, but they are difficult to see in detail, though they have the aura of aliens, of something beyond or from elsewhere. Are these offerings or sacrifices? The world is being made beautiful.

I take one more small hit and finish the bowl. I have the urge to shake a rattle, so I grab the nearest one available. I return to my seat and begin rattling. This driving sets off a rapid shamanic journey. I'm rushing through the trees, up canyons, through the creeks. I pass over a waterfall, deep in a dark place. I enter the mountain, following some spirit, some guide. I look for the Master of the Mountain. There's confusion. I find my medicine stones. I take them in my hand. There seems to be fire.

Suddenly I'm at the beach. I'm in the water. I am the water. I touch the sand...

I'm an eagle. I circle a few times above the ocean on the breeze and then begin to rush over the mountains. Faster, faster. Suddenly I'm flying over New York. I have my medicine. I pray. I pray for the dead. I pray for the living. I pray for the terrorists. I pray for the world and for beauty. Healing light comes in from four directions in the four colors. All is beauty.

Next, the same in Washington.

Then, white, pure light, spreading from the middle of the earth and shining across the globe, encircled in a rainbow. It is Beauty, Compassion, Peace, Wisdom.

All the while I'm looking, looking, looking so hard, so directed. My eyes search behind my closed eyelids. I feel the concentration on my brow. The rattle propels me. It breathes. It lives. I follow the Spirit where It goes. See what It shows me. It is all so subtle, but all so clear. Like a dream, softly behind the eyes. Thought and action are one. It is Seeing. I have a body, many bodies, in this Seeing. All is rapid transformation and flux, and the continuous Sage flow and Wind moves on, pushing me, leading me.

Gentle I let the rattle fade as I return into my body. Mark had been meditating through all this. I had briefly considered whether my rattle would disturb him, but quickly decided that I was going to do what I felt moved and directed to do.

When Mark saw me come out of my trance, he wanted me to tell him about what I had experienced. I wasn't ready to talk yet and though most of the Sage had passed, I still felt an outflowing. I felt supremely good and filled with Beauty and satisfaction. It was strong medicine, strong prayer. Its sacred power was just overwhelming.
Bolded parts and brackets mine. Since the Aztecs/Mexican peoples and their religion were talked about earlier in the thread, and because Salvia Divinorum is from the Oaxaca region of Mexico, I felt very :eyepop: when I went to pick this book up again after putting it down for a couple weeks, and the bookmark was in the middle of this story. (And it being about 9/11 plus us posting on Something Awful made me laugh)

Orbs has issued a correction as of 06:54 on Feb 9, 2024

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

many people are calling it borehammer

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Slavvy posted:

doing donuts around uranus but misjudging the orbital trajectory and ramming it at relativistic speeds

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Puppy Burner posted:

An empire run by a cabal of psychotics fronted by a corpse, that knows only war, and nothing can ever get better resonates with many.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I did salvia a handful of times back when you could get it at headshops and boy was that a handful too many times.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
it's downright funny how bad salvia is

a troll trip from coyote, as a joke

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The dot says 40k posting is good actually

lsculpt23
Aug 3, 2022

The Protagonist posted:

it's downright funny how bad salvia is

a troll trip from coyote, as a joke

It was great once and it was terrible once and then I never tried it again, but my friend tells a vivid story about getting lost in his bathroom and watching a zipper open in reality with all of his deceased relatives sticking their arms through and telling him he was about to join them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

lsculpt23 posted:

It was great once and it was terrible once and then I never tried it again, but my friend tells a vivid story about getting lost in his bathroom and watching a zipper open in reality with all of his deceased relatives sticking their arms through and telling him he was about to join them.

Lmfao

I had a similar experience with salvia. First couple times were great loopy trips, in my first one i was a letter on the page of a book and i kept peeling off the page and scrambling to keep myself on (in reality i was sitting upright and kept tipping over and catching myself and making a big deal out of it)

Then on my last trip i took a huge rip of some ridiculous concentrate, and completely obliterated my sense of everything. As in one second I'm there and the next, absolutely nothing exists, not even a me to observe the nothingness, and that felt like an eternity. As I gradually became aware of myself as an entity, i experienced time in like 3D "slices," like if you could turn the universe into a series of snapshots and then flip through them. Like i saw the framerate of the universe.

I eventually came fully back in stages and the frames/slices went away, but after that i was like i think I'm good on salvia