Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
Wil's dad knew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Last Samurai is a good movie because the white dude is a trainwreck who realizes that Ken Watanabe is the actual badass and then they all get mowed down by gatling guns for their trouble.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Toilet Terror posted:

It's weird how everyone forgets that the glowing documentary about the (technically second) person to puppeteer Elmo was narrated by Whoopi Goldberg who was an outspoken defender of noted sexual predator Roman Polanski.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Whoopie goldberg tricking ted danson into doing blackface them breaking up with him is so funny I hope she becomes a double egot

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

sharknado slashfic posted:

Why would anyone who doesn't work in Muppets have any idea what the personal life of the second Elmo puppeteer is like

it was on the news you muppet

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Hackers film 1995 posted:

jesus i just watched the footage. elmo shows up with his burly bodyguard and talked to larry in that mocking tone of his. larry had no choice but to strike first. you can only take so much disrespect.

That "burly bodyguard" is Elmo's dad, Louie.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

sweet geek swag posted:

I don't think you understand how deceptive some of these prosperity gospel megachurches can be. Their entire gimmick is pretending to be welcoming of anyone, but really they just want rich people. Just because people have since done research on this guy and he has shown a few cracks in his facade does not mean his congregation is aware of all of it. I mean it's in his wikipedia article now, but people typically don't check Wikipedia before trialing a new church.

There are few people that I have more contempt for than megachurch pastors but unless they are publically advocating for the heinous positions they believe in I tend to see their parishioners as victims as opposed to villains.

quote:

If he's too stupid to understand that he is supporting anti-LGBTQ causes, that isn't my loving problem.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I could probably watch remakes of Yojimbo for the rest of my life. This isnt a good thing. Its just something i know about myself. That story is just fun

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Crescent Wrench posted:

That "burly bodyguard" is Elmo's dad, Louie.

muppets gently caress now?

mystes
May 31, 2006

sweet geek swag posted:

I don't think you understand how deceptive some of these prosperity gospel megachurches can be. Their entire gimmick is pretending to be welcoming of anyone, but really they just want rich people. Just because people have since done research on this guy and he has shown a few cracks in his facade does not mean his congregation is aware of all of it. I mean it's in his wikipedia article now, but people typically don't check Wikipedia before trialing a new church.

There are few people that I have more contempt for than megachurch pastors but unless they are publically advocating for the heinous positions they believe in I tend to see their parishioners as victims as opposed to villains.
To be clear, your position is that despite Elliot Page specifically calling Chris Pratt out about this in 2019, and the founder of the church being known for being anti-LGBTQ and having produced anti-LGBTQ videos and stuff, Chris Pratt just doesn't realize that the founder of the church he's attending is anti-LGBTQ because they're hiding it so well and/or because he's a loving moron?

mystes fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 9, 2024

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Chris pratt seems really, really stupid so yeah probably

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

mystes posted:

To be clear, your position is that despite Elliot Page specifically calling Chris Pratt out about this in 2019, and the founder of the church being known for being anti-LGBTQ and having produced anti-LGBTQ videos and stuff, Chris Pratt just doesn't realize that the founder of the church he's attending is anti-LGBTQ because they're hiding it so well and/or because he's a loving moron?

weird how some straight people just never seem to notice that everyone around them is a big ol bigot, guess it can't be their fault

mystes
May 31, 2006

in 2035 when Christ Pratt is finally like "oh yeah Elliot Page mentioned something about the founder of my church being a bigot 16 years ago, maybe I should finally spend 30 seconds googling that" he's going to be so embarrassed

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDCT3L8FnMg

If you ever needed proof that Brian Henson is so much worse at this than his dad. He made my absolute favourite Muppet film but then you get stuff like Happytime Murders and you have to ask what the hell he was thinking.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 9, 2024

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

mystes posted:

Elliot Page specifically called out Chris Pratt for going to a church that practiced conversion therapy, and he was wrong. This church does not practice conversion therapy. Elliot Page clearly had the wrong information, for a lot of people this is going to be completely discrediting. I actually think Elliot mixed this church up with Hillsong. This pastor seems to be fairly careful what he says in public because his target demographic is rich, relatively liberal denizens of Los Angeles. And let's be clear, in a megachurch like this you aren't getting to know the pastor on a very close personal level. What attracts most people to churches like this are the services they offer, especially for children. And those typically do accept all comers. These sorts of institutions are insidious in that they take relatively liberal minded people and indoctrinate them into more conservative religious ideologies as they grow closer to the inner circle of the church.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

PostNouveau posted:

It's Wil Wheaton, not Will. His parents took an L the day he was born.
very good

mystes
May 31, 2006

sweet geek swag posted:

Elliot Page specifically called out Chris Pratt for going to a church that practiced conversion therapy, and he was wrong. This church does not practice conversion therapy. Elliot Page clearly had the wrong information, for a lot of people this is going to be completely discrediting. I actually think Elliot mixed this church up with Hillsong. This pastor seems to be fairly careful what he says in public because his target demographic is rich, relatively liberal denizens of Los Angeles. And let's be clear, in a megachurch like this you aren't getting to know the pastor on a very close personal level. What attracts most people to churches like this are the services they offer, especially for children. And those typically do accept all comers. These sorts of institutions are insidious in that they take relatively liberal minded people and indoctrinate them into more conservative religious ideologies as they grow closer to the inner circle of the church.
You don't think that Chris Pratt would have googled his own church and its founder after that even if it was just connected to Hillsong rather than actually being Hillsong?

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

ZeusCannon posted:

I could probably watch remakes of Yojimbo for the rest of my life. This isnt a good thing. Its just something i know about myself. That story is just fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So2imo9IgBw

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

sweet geek swag posted:

Why are you so desperate to defend these bigots? This isn't secret info and elliot page getting a detail wrong isn't going to be "completely discrediting" unless you're a moron

Again, if he is too stupid to realize he is directly supporting bigotry, that isn't anyone else's problem.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I haven't seen the beetlejuice musical but when it came out and it was blowing up among musical nerds, which is a few years ago now but I think part of the appeal was it was this scrappy low-rent high-enthusiasm production that started either off-broadway or off-off-broadway
anyway I saw a clip where there's a lady singing and she's like one of those hippydippy astrology-and-auras type of people, and she's singing to lydia deetz about how we're all part of the universe and new age bullshit helps her make life decisions and then she says crystals speak to her, and then she holds a crystal up to her ear and the music cuts out and a voice whispers "buy more crystals." I thought that was pretty funny and that's the only part of it I've seen. overall I give Beetlejuice the musical 7/10

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
shut up about chris pratts church imo

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Cubone posted:

I haven't seen the beetlejuice musical but when it came out and it was blowing up among musical nerds, which is a few years ago now but I think part of the appeal was it was this scrappy low-rent high-enthusiasm production that started either off-broadway or off-off-broadway
anyway I saw a clip where there's a lady singing and she's like one of those hippydippy astrology-and-auras type of people, and she's singing to lydia deetz about how we're all part of the universe and new age bullshit helps her make life decisions and then she says crystals speak to her, and then she holds a crystal up to her ear and the music cuts out and a voice whispers "buy more crystals." I thought that was pretty funny and that's the only part of it I've seen. overall I give Beetlejuice the musical 7/10

thank you

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Palate cleanser

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

sharknado slashfic posted:

Why would anyone who doesn't work in Muppets have any idea what the personal life of the second Elmo puppeteer is like

First of May posted:

There was a glowing documentary about his life that came out (i.e., was rushed out as spin) a few months before the abuse allegations hit the news.

And before that he wrote a memoir that was a bestseller and got famous on some daytime show (Ellen? Oprah?)

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

PostNouveau posted:

Amazing that he mostly salvaged his public perception in the late aughts but decided to... Do whatever he's been at ever since.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

trilobite terror posted:

And before that he wrote a memoir that was a bestseller and got famous on some daytime show (Ellen? Oprah?)

Yeah, dude was being prepped to become the CEO of Sesame Workshop (along with a whisper campaign about how he was the "new Henson") until the allegations came out.

Failson posted:

Amazing that he mostly salvaged his public perception in the late aughts but decided to... Do whatever he's been at ever since.

Is there a single early internet figure who hasn't completely burned out all good will that they built up in that era?

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

I hate chris pratt for the good old fashioned reason that he's talentless and devoid of charm

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Failson posted:

2000s nerd culture will never die or become tiresome and annoying!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

:lol:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Why do so many shows release the first two episodes in the first week. Is it just a lack of confidence?

Anyway I feel like 1 hour a week of tokyo vice is the max I can put up with, 2 hours up front is a big ask

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
:coolspot:

Space Kablooey posted:

Lol. can you summarize?

political poo poo: pro genocide

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Why are you so desperate to defend these bigots? This isn't secret info and elliot page getting a detail wrong isn't going to be "completely discrediting" unless you're a moron

I mean, the thing is, it isn't just "a detail", it's the only detail. Page went after Pratt based specifically on the fact that he went to a certain church and basically nothing else. Like there wasn't some other whole big story of a pattern of behavior or some bad personal experience, it was just "he goes to Hillsong which is bad". And then that turned out not to be true, so like, I think Page just takes the L on this one. I don't see any reason to keep digging in your heels. There are other reasons to think Pratt is lame and dumb.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

pratt can only play one role and that is the lovable himbo

he still sucks even then

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
the only lgbtq advocacy I want to see in this thread is posts about Jay, mastodons, and erotic fanart of the boys

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

What if the Mastadon Men went to the Hillstreet Church or whatever?? What then???

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

No Mods No Masters posted:

Why do so many shows release the first two episodes in the first week. Is it just a lack of confidence?

Anyway I feel like 1 hour a week of tokyo vice is the max I can put up with, 2 hours up front is a big ask

Not sure if this is the reason but often the first episode of a show isn't that representative of what the show's like as there's often quite a bit of set up/exposition in the first episode, and even just the cast and crew are still figuring stuff out, so first episodes can sometimes be a bit rough. Particular if it was a pilot that was filmed a bit before.

On the audience side, yeah probably a bit of luck of confidence, the broadcasts may be thinking if they watch two episodes they may get more invested in the show, and be more likely to remember to watch it next week.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Yeah I guess it does make sense if you start from the mindset that the first episode of a show is the worst one like 90% of the time

Cubone
May 26, 2011

trilobite terror posted:

the only lgbtq advocacy I want to see in this thread is posts about Jay, mastodons, and erotic fanart of the boys
look, it's gonna come up sometimes. there's like four thousand gay people itt for some reason, and it's something most of us have learned the hard way that we need to be vigilant about. if you don't like it, eradicate homophobia from society. bada bing bada boom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
take it to the manhole